PDA

View Full Version : Alchemical Boosters?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-14, 12:13 PM
I'm trying to track down all the official alchemical potion substitutes. Things that will provide healing, remedy disease, and the like -- but still work in an Antimagic Field.

I'm most interested in finding an alchemical substance to boost speed. Is there something like D&D amphetamine in one of those Dragon issues?

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-14, 12:25 PM
Did you try Complete Adventurer?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-14, 12:38 PM
Yes, I did. They've got the Swiftstride Capsule, but I was hoping for something more effective. It boosts speed by +5' for just 2 rounds, immediately followed by fatigue. That's way weaker than what I was looking for. All the capsules are like that. Contrast the standard (Player's Handbook) item with the Complete Adventurer capsule.
Antitoxin

If you drink antitoxin, you get a +5 alchemical bonus on Fortitude saving throws against poison for 1 hour.
Antitoxin Capsule: This capsule holds a dose of weak antitoxin. When imbibed, it provides a +1 alchemical bonus on Fortitude saving throws made against poison. This bonus lasts for 1 minute. I figure there ought to be something bigger than a capsule that will boost speed, but I haven't found it yet.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-14, 12:45 PM
Other than Complete Adventurer, I have no idea where to find such things. Possibly Arms & Equipment Guide has some, but I haven't checked that book in a long time.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-10-14, 12:51 PM
I would just make one?

Swift expedious retreat 1/round after drinking.

We had a good fix in one of my games for the alchemy thing.
We turned potions into alchemist stuff..
disregarded the need for caster levels.
Set a minimum ranks to make x level potion to keep people from making high level potions.

We did it as if a caster of equivelent level couldn't make/cast it then you can't make it. It was a fun character. expert too.

JeenLeen
2009-10-14, 12:55 PM
I believe Complete Scroundel has some alchemical items similiar to those in Complete Adventurer. I do not recall if they are magically created or not.

technophile
2009-10-14, 01:09 PM
The various "setting" books add several potentially useful alchemical items:

Dungeonscape has Acid Neutralizer, Bottled Air (clears out fog/gases etc), and Trollbane, all of which might be useful to replace abilities that otherwise require magic.

Stormwrack has the Stinkpot (stinking cloud) and the Air Plant (water breathing).

Liquid Salt (splash damage), Oleum (splash damage and concealment), and the alchemical version of Slumber Sand (sleep) are in Sandstorm.

Frostburn adds Freeze Powder (freezes liquids), Melt Powder (melts ice), Polar Skin (resist cold), and Razor Ice Powder (trap).

The Planar Handbook offers Anarchic and Axiomatic Water (like holy water for lawful/chaotic outsiders), Antitrait Grease, Atramen Oil (splash damage causes penalty to Fort saves), Bahamut's Breath (damages evil outsiders, heals good outsiders), Chaos Flasks, Liquid Embers, Pure Elements, Red Tidewater (splash blindness), and a few other alchemical items.

There are probably more, that was just a quick scan.

Edit: Yes, Complete Scoundrel has some as well.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-14, 01:13 PM
Yeah, Arms and Equipment Guide only has Fleetfoot liniment, which just improves running speed. Dragon Compendium has some items from issues # 280 & # 316, but no speed boosters there.

Crafty Cultist
2009-10-14, 03:17 PM
tome and blood has healing salve (heals 1d8 damage, costs 50gp, dc 25 to make)

Curmudgeon
2009-10-14, 05:04 PM
That's a good one. It costs the same as a potion of Cure Light Wounds and only does 1 HP less.

Still looking for alchemical substances to handle disease.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-14, 05:38 PM
The healers kit (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#healersKit) provides a bonus to Heal checks,and you Treat Disease (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/heal.htm) with the Heal skill.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-14, 05:40 PM
Masters of the Wild had some rules for herbalism, rather than alchemy. Maybe that can help.

Cieyrin
2009-10-14, 07:24 PM
Masters of the Wild had some rules for herbalism, rather than alchemy. Maybe that can help.

Infusions are strange beasties. Basically greater Brew Potion without having to go through a PRC to do. Still magical, though, which defeats the purpose.

Set
2009-10-14, 07:49 PM
I made a list for my own use of places to find Alchemical stuff (I was playing a Halfling Ranger with the Grenadier feat (PHB2) and the Shaped Splash feat (Races of Eberron)). I haven't done other equipment 'though.

Places to check for Alchemy stuff;

PHB 3.5 (p 70-71, 128-129)
Acid
Alchemist's Fire
Antitoxin
Smokestick
Sunrod
Tanglefoot Bag
Thunderstone
Tindertwig

Book of Vile Darkness (p 41-44
Feather Powder
Festering Bomb
Weeping Stone
Agony (Liquid Pain)
Baccaran
Devilweed
Luhix
Mordayne Vapore (Dreammist)
Mushroom Powder
Redflower Leaves
Sannish
Terran Brandy
Vodare

Libris Mortis (p 73-74)
Brittlebone
Embalming Fire
Ghostoil
Liquid Night

Races of the Dragon (p 122-123) *No Craft DCs listed*
Bitterleaf Oil
Ditherbomb (strong, weak or wyrm)
Fire Beetle Lamp
Sundark Goggles

Races of the Wild (p 168)
Leafweave Armor (also requires Craft (armorsmithing))

Races of Stone (p 159-161)
Blasting Pellets
Blister Oil
Hearthfire
Spiderlily Essence

Complete Mage (p 134-135)
Auran Mask
Crackle Powder
Fast Torch
Screaming Flask
Weeping Flask

Complete Adventurer (p 118-122)
Blend Cream
Focusing Candle
Catstink
Fareye Oil
Flash Pellet
Freeglide
Hawk's Ointment
Healer's Balm
Keenear Powder
Lockslip Grease
Nature's Draught
Softfoot
Suregrip
Antitoxin Capsule
Ironman Capsule
Leap Capsule
Stability Capsule
Strongarm Capsule
Swiftstride Capsule
Ghostblight
Quickflame
Quickfrost
Quickspark
Quicksilver

Draconomicon (p 116-117) *requires Dragoncrafter feat*
Blood Elixir

Lords of Madness (p 114-115) *requires Grell Alchemy feat*
Grell Crystal
Lightning Lance (magic item, requires Alchemy)
Greater Lightning Lance (magic item, requires Alchemy)
Silver Spear (magic item, requires Alchemy)

Heroes of Battle (p 134-137)
Acid Stone
Alchemist's Stone
Holy/Unholy Stone? (should require a priest, not an alchemist)
Tanglefoot Shot

Stormwrack (p 108)
Stinkpot

Frostburn (p 78-79)
Armor Insultation
Freeze Powder
Frostbite Salve
Ice Chalk
Melt Powder
Polar Skin
Razor Ice Powder
Whale Grease

Sandstorm (p 101-103)
Armorbright
Blackeye
Deep Draught
Ironthorn Extract
Keepcool Salve
Shapesand
Slumber Sand
Sunshade Lotion

Special: Oleum (no Alchemy Craft DC, but it seems like it should be craftable)

Arms & Equipment Guide (p 32-35) *some repeated in Cadv*
Bladefire
Acid Bullet
Flame Bullet
Focusing Candle
Restful Candle
Clearbreath
Darkvision Powder
Defoliator
Dehydrated Food
Dwarfblind
Farflame Oil
Fleetfoot
Ghostoil
Gravebane
Hawk’s Ointment
Instant Rope
Longbreath
Motelight
Nature’s Draught
Polar Skin
Signal Torch
Sparkstone
Stonebreaker Acid
Verminbane
Vicious Bleeder

Savage Species (p 46-48)
Breathing Mask
Flashtube
Frostfire
Sculpter’s Slime

Eberron Campaign Setting (p 120-121)
Acidic Fire
Alchemist’s Frost
Alchemist’s Spark
Noxious Smokestick

Magic of Eberron (p 139-140) *no Alchemy Craft DCs*
Bloodspike (defiling)
Bloodspike (glowbug)
Bloodspike (spatter)
Bloodspike (tempo)
Bloodspike (thickener)

Faiths of Eberron (p 153-154) *no Alchemy Craft DCs*
Breath of the Devourer
Euphoric Sacrament
Flayskin
Mordrei’in
Silverburn

Oriental Adventures (p 78)
Eggshell Grenades (dust, flashpowder, pepper, poison smoke)
Flash Paper (moeragara)
Jade Powder
Liquid Smoke (ekitai kemuri)
Sleeping Fire (hinemuri)

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (p 96-97)
Alchemical Sleep Gas
Disappearing Ink
Scentbreaker

Dungeonscape (p 34-37)
Acid Neutralizer
Bottled Air
Firmament Stone
Ghostwall Shellac
Lava Stones
Lockslip
Trollbane

Drow of the Underdark (p 93-94)
Bile Droppings
Darkvision Powder
Dwarfblind Stone
Shedden
Spelunker's Oil
Stoneburn Acid
Vilegrip

Dragon magazine 280, article Better Living Through Alchemy, has some great stuff. Issue 301 also has a large article on Alchemy, but I don't recall it specifically. Quite a few (perhaps even all of them) seem to be reprinted in the Dragon Compendium (p 116-120, 32 different items).

Places checked;
PHB 3.5 (p 70-71, 128-129)
Book of Vile Darkness (p 41)
Libris Mortis (p 73-74)
Races of the Dragon (p 122-123)
Complete Mage (p 134-135)
Complete Adventurer (p 118-122) quite a lot of ‘em
Draconomicon (p 116-117) requires Dragoncrafter feat (only 1 item)
Lords of Madness (p 114-115) requires Grell Alchemy feat (only 3 items)
Heroes of Battle (p 134-137) alchemical siege shot
Stormwrack (p 108)
Frostburn (p 78-79)
Sandstorm (p 101-103)
Arms & Equipment Guide (p 32-35) quite a few, some repeated in CA
Savage Species (p 46-48)
Faiths of Eberron (p 153-154)
Eberron Campaign Setting (p 120-121)
Magic of Eberron (p 139-140)
Oriental Adventures (p 78)
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (p 96-97)
Drow of the Underdark (p 93-94)

Of 3rd party stuff, the best one I’ve seen for a meaty and balanced selection is the Kingdoms of Kalamar Players Guide (p 113-116). Most of the racial books for the Kalamar setting (Strength & Honor: Hobgoblins of Tellene, etc.) have a few alchemical formula as well. The designers of that setting seemed to really enjoy alchemy!

Bastion Press' Alchemy & Herbalists is not terribly useful, on the other hand, as far too many of it's formula are designed to be used by members of the three alchemist base classes introduced in that volume, each of which spends a half dozen feats to learn these specialized recipes.

The Bloodspikes from Magic of Eberron seem the most like the 'boosters' you are looking for.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-14, 08:37 PM
Thanks a lot, Set! That's an impressive list.

An extra move action within an hour could come in handy. It's like a reduced version of a Belt of Battle.

I also stumbled across the Priest's Bullet in Libris Mortis. This could be repurposed to deliver acid or contact poisons (instead of holy water) at sling range, I think. 500' range is a lot better than 50' maximum thrown range for splash weapons.

Set
2009-10-14, 08:44 PM
Thanks a lot, Set! That's an impressive list.

Hope it's useful to ya! I had it lying around, doing a heck of a lot of not much, since I'm not playing that Halfling Ranger any more.

Someday, I'd intended to compile the various stuff from the 3rd party books I had, but they were hit and miss.

The best, IMO, come from Green Ronin products, Sword & Sorcery products and Kingdoms of Kalamar stuff, but I know nothing really about tons of other 3rd party sources, so, for all I know, Arcanis (for instance) could have a *ton* of great Alchemy stuff, and I wouldn't have a clue. :)

There are a few Alchemy related PrCs, but, as far as I can recall, they deal more with Potion brewing and less with craft-alchemy, making them deadweight for these purposes.

Darrin
2009-10-14, 10:58 PM
Magic of Eberron (p 139-140) *no Alchemy Craft DCs*
Bloodspike (tempo)

This one doesn't increase your speed, but does give you one extra move action per use.

There are some drugs in Lords of Darkness that are similar to alchemical items, but unfortunately the one that increases speed, Kammarth, is listed as magical (similar to expeditious retreat, so I guess +30 enhancement bonus).

Dragon magazine 280, article Better Living Through Alchemy, has some great stuff. Issue 301 also has a large article on Alchemy, but I don't recall it specifically. Quite a few (perhaps even all of them) seem to be reprinted in the Dragon Compendium (p 116-120, 32 different items).

Nothing in Dragon #301 that increases speed. Dragon Compendium reprints the alchemical items in #280, #289, and some of the spy stuff from #316.

Another speed trick: get a familiar/psicrystal, take some ranks in Ride. Have your familiar climb on as a mount, and they can "spur" you for a speed increase in exchange for a little subdual damage.