PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Issue

dr Jack
2009-10-14, 12:41 PM
I'd like to ask a question.
I have a blog where I talk about "How to create fiction" and I plan to publish an article about "villains".
The blog is Creative Commons, but I say that the images inside it have different copyright licences.

I'd like to use only the last picture of this episode:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0446.html
"Evil a growth industry"

I'd like to know if I can use it if I'll insert the link to the original image and write in the credits the name and link of the author and that the image is under his copyright.

Is it considered "fair use"? Otherwise how can I've the permission?

Athaniar
2009-10-14, 01:12 PM
I don't know, the Giant is usually really sensitive about his work and copyright. You'll have to ask him if you want a definite answer, though.

BRC
2009-10-14, 01:16 PM
I think the answer is No

Q: Can I repost one of the comic strips to another site? Can I alter the image and repost it?

A: Definitely not. The digital image of each strip is protected under copyright law, and reposting it or altering it without permission is going to almost always be a copyright violation. I need to be very careful with my intellectual property in order that I might be able to earn profit from my work.which in turn will allow me to create more of it. If I discover a site that is reusing my art, I will ask them to remove it, and I won.t feel bad about doing so.
That seems to answer the question very clearly. Mind you, there is a sneaky way around this, {scrubbed - I don't want people to think such a thing is in any way permitted. The FAQ answer is stated in the negative. Finding something not covered by it in no way constitutes something permitted.}.
Mind you, just because you're not technically Altering and Reposting a comic doesn't mean the use of that image isn't under a different sort of copyright, so I wouldn't use it unless somebody with a very good understanding of copywrite law looks through the {scrubbed} site and determines it's not covered, or you get express permission. So yeah, I wouldn't go for it.

Jimorian
2009-10-14, 01:43 PM
{scrubbed. If you're licensed to practice law, let me know. Otherwise, we'd rather not have posters giving each other legal advice.}

Once again, if you want to go straight to the source on this, I always recommend reading what the (U.S.) Copyright Office has to say on the matter:
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Roland St. Jude
2009-10-14, 02:10 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: If you are seeking permission, PM The Giant or wait to see if he responds here. Unless you get express permission, assume that you don't have it. As noted, The Giant has made very clear his desire to avoid unlicensed use of his works, even on his own forum.

If you are seeking legal advice, such as whether your proposed use is or is not violative of copyright, I recommend that you seek legal counsel.