PDA

View Full Version : Robilar's Exploitation

Mongoose87
2009-10-14, 01:34 PM
Reading over Robilar's Gambit, it does not seems to specify that an opponent must be using an attack action to strike you, in order to provoke it. Bearing that in mind, could I not intentionally provoke attacks of opportunity in order to get attacks? Following with that, could I not use Improved and Greater Combat Reflexes (Dragon 340) to make three attacks in response?

Akal Saris
2009-10-14, 01:50 PM
Yes, you can deliberately provoke AOO's, though even animals will learn quickly not to hit you if you do so =P

I'm not familiar with the dragon content, sorry!

Mongoose87
2009-10-14, 02:00 PM
Yes, you can deliberately provoke AOO's, though even animals will learn quickly not to hit you if you do so =P

I'm not familiar with the dragon content, sorry!

Improved Combat Reflexes, which, unfortunately, share a name with Improved Combat Reflexes, the Epic feat, allow two attack per AoO. Greater Combat Reflexes allow three. They all count against your max, but, when you have the aforementioned Epic feat, it hardly matters.

theMycon
2009-10-14, 06:11 PM
RAW, yes, I believe you can.
However, I've found most DMs with give you a death glare when you bring up any recursive loops. Including AoOs against AoOs.

nightwyrm
2009-10-14, 06:14 PM
You think that's sick? Try using a hydra with that feat.

Thurbane
2009-10-14, 09:16 PM
Yes, because feats that appear in Dragon magazine are always fully balanced and thoroughly playtested. If you ask me, a lot of stuff from Dragon mags should be considered no more official than any other homebrew.

[/end rant]

tyckspoon
2009-10-14, 09:29 PM
Yes, because feats that appear in Dragon magazine are always fully balanced and thoroughly playtested. If you ask me, a lot of stuff from Dragon mags should be considered no more official than any other homebrew.

[/end rant]

About as well balanced and playtested as much of what appears in hardbound splats. About the only consistent advantage is that official book material is usually better edited (usually. There is an appreciable number of splatbook items that simply do not work. Not overpowered or underpowered, the way they're written just doesn't work.) Oh, and splatbooks are usually easier to acquire than random back issues of Dragon.

Thurbane
2009-10-14, 09:40 PM
About as well balanced and playtested as much of what appears in hardbound splats. About the only consistent advantage is that official book material is usually better edited (usually. There is an appreciable number of splatbook items that simply do not work. Not overpowered or underpowered, the way they're written just doesn't work.) Oh, and splatbooks are usually easier to acquire than random back issues of Dragon.
I'll agree with most of this - there certainly is no shortage of poorly thought out and badly balanced feats in the hardcovers. That being said, though, I generally do tend to see more of this in Dragon material...