PDA

View Full Version : alchemist

wizuriel
2009-10-14, 01:50 PM
Hey was trying to make a LBEG in my 3.5 campaign that focuses on brewing various potions, poisons and focusing in splash weapons. I was kind of surprised how little there seems to be in D&D that deals with any of it. Right now gave him brew potion and the mad alchemist line in PHB2, but can't find that much else he can do.

The diseases in book of vile darkness where interesting (and figured he could make viral weapons with his knowledge), and found a few poisons in complete scoundrel. Was just wondering if anyone else know of any more gems to flesh out the character

Jokasti
2009-10-14, 02:21 PM
You could always make your own.
That way, if you don't like something about a pre-existing one, you can just change it. Don't forget to post them in the Homebrew section when you're done though.

Melamoto
2009-10-14, 02:42 PM
There is a way of achieving this with WotC content, although it requires a minor change of RAW, and a slightly less minor change of RAW to be more effective. The Alchemical Savant (MoE) and Master Alchemist (???) PrCs could work well together. The former lets you create offensive potions called spellvials, and the latter lets you create higher level potions. You could simply change it so that the Master Alchemists effect applies to spellvials too, so you can eventually brew 9th level spells in potions.
Also, if your DM will let you, then you can let the Artificier qualify for Master Alchemist (Normally it wouldn't because it requires Arcane or Divine spellcasting, not just spellcasting).

Thiyr
2009-10-14, 03:24 PM
As far as poison goes, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63130) seems to be one of the better references I've seen as for where to find stuff. Particular favorites for me end up being in dragon compendium for relatively cheap and effective injury poisons, though i think it has a few ingested and touch poisons if i remember right.

If you want alchemical items to be a big source of damage, ditherbombs (Races of the Dragon) are unpredictable, but have potential at least. Haven't tried them myself yet, but they seem like they could be effective.

Sadly, the best thing i've found for alchemical based characters is the Augmented Alchemy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#augmentedAlchemy) feat, but it's an epic feat, so it won't be that useful barring the DM letting you get away with it.

Oh yes, and don't forget the Launch Item spell for the launching of those items. A decent use of a cantrip if you want to focus on that side of things

Prime32
2009-10-14, 03:34 PM
There's also a homunculus (in Magic of Eberron, I think) which is a walking chest that carries flasks for you. It can throw them, or administer potions to fallen allies.

Glimbur
2009-10-14, 04:24 PM
The simplest way to do it would be to refluff a wizard or a sorcerer as having bandoleers full of alchemical concoctions they use as spells.

deuxhero
2009-10-14, 04:33 PM
Sadly, the best thing i've found for alchemical based characters is the Augmented Alchemy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#augmentedAlchemy) feat, but it's an epic feat, so it won't be that useful barring the DM letting you get away with it.

Dragonwraught Kobold to the rescue! (It isn't that bad an idea, the OP seems to be the DM (Don't think players will be making an enemy NPC and that epic feat really should be a standard option)

Glimbur
2009-10-14, 07:26 PM
Dragonwraught Kobold to the rescue! (It isn't that bad an idea, the OP seems to be the DM (Don't think players will be making an enemy NPC and that epic feat really should be a standard option)

Dragonwrought isn't enough, it requires 24 ranks in Craft (Alchemy) which is nearly impossible before level 21. There's some obscure feat that gives you an extra rank, which isn't enough to help.

Rule 0 would be valid, it's not a very good feat.

It'd still be easier to just pretend like the sorcerer or wizard (mechanically) is an alchemist (fluff).

Set
2009-10-14, 08:04 PM
Hey was trying to make a LBEG in my 3.5 campaign that focuses on brewing various potions, poisons and focusing in splash weapons.

The Grenadier feat (PHB2, p 79) and the Shaped Splash feat (Races of Eberron, p 111-112) are ideal for this sort of character.

Assorted sources for alchemical formula can be found here (bottom of thread). (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128319)

I'd personally bump Augmented Alchemy (the epic feat) down to 12 ranks of Alchemy required and non-Epic status, for this sort of villain, so it's not exactly a fabulous feat (and not in a million years worth calling 'epic,' IMO)...

My own 'mad alchemist' character was a Halfling Ranger (racial sub level Distracting Shot, replacing Animal Companion, PHB2 p 55) to take advantage of the ranged bonus feats, Shaped Splash (which could easily be re-fluffed to not be Halfling only, were this not a Xendrik Expeditions game), the +1 halfling bonus with thrown weapons, the size bonus to attack rolls and the +2 Dex that Halflings start with. Combined with a Handy Haversack (for ease of producing exactly the explosive, incendiary, stink-bomb, glue-pot or chemical slick he needed), he was a pretty awesome little terror.

Due to the nature of Organized Play, he paid 5x the cost for 'consumable' items (like alchemist's fire) and they replenished between adventures, which means he basically bought 10 alchemist's fire and 10 acid, etc. and that meant he had 10 for every mod, forever. Kind of an abuse of their system, but I was in that kind of mood...

For a guy entirely based on this schtick, in a non-Organized Play situation, a custom magic item like the old 1st edition Beaker of Plentiful Potions that allows him to produce X number of alchemical items from within it each day could be a useful toy. Otherwise his entire schtick becomes 'throwing money at people,' which ends up putting him behind the wealth by level curve, after a while!

Custom alchemical formula, such as an elixir that makes servant creatures go into a Frenzy (effects as Rage, but Exhausted instead of Fatigued when it ends, and not 'for the rest of the combat' but really Exhausted, as in 'rest for hours to not be sleepy!'), or an 'alchemical scabbard' made of steel-hard glass tubes that allows the holder to depress a button on the scabbard to coat the blade with a dose of alchemist's fire, acid (which doesn't harm the weapon!) or sunrod solution. The fire or acid allows the weapon to act as if it had the flaming or corrosive property for 1 round. The sunrod oil causes it to glow as if from a light spell for 1 hour. The bosses big flunky could have such a scabbard, and puzzle the foes by Quick-Drawing his sword (which will be on fire), attacking as a standard action, and then re-sheathing his sword as a move action (so that he can Quick-Draw it again on the next round, with the flaming or acidic property refreshed!).

Alternately, a special blade with a container in the hilt for a flask of alchemist's fire, frost, spark or acid could be easier to deal with. The flaming, frost, shock or corrosive property could last only one round (free action to trigger), but be 're-fueled' as a standard action.

You can also play with custom alchemical solutions to create weak stinking cloud variations (sickened only, smaller cloud, 1 round duration, or 1 person only if nauseated) or grease effects or whatever. Including the recipes for some of these 'lost formula' could be included as treasure.