PDA

View Full Version : To Fear the Sphere

Signmaker
2009-10-14, 03:15 PM
Pre-Epic and from a theoretical optimization standpoint (therefore, devoid of such nuances as 'plot' or 'physics'), is there a way to create or summon a Sphere of Annihilation?

Note that the Sphere of Ultimate Destruction is not, in fact, a Sphere of Annihilation.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-14, 03:22 PM
Not sure if you can do this legally, but you may be able to twist Genesis into creating a demiplane that acts identical to a Sphere, and then Gate people to it. Even if there were a save against the Sphere's effects, it would be impossible for them to survive unless they have planar travel abilities due to needing to save every round.

For a legal method of obtaining the sphere, the Plane of Shadows has one guaranteed if Tome of Magic is allowed. Just go kill the Lich that is holding it (CR 24, but possible at level 17).

mostlyharmful
2009-10-14, 03:23 PM
Well, there's the ninth level spell that summons a sphere of annihalation. There's that...

Edit: page 200 spell compendium, 'Sphere of Ultimate Darkness'

Radiun
2009-10-14, 03:26 PM
Before doing anything Sphere related, make sure your DM won't use the sphere to destroy the atmosphere... or the planet's core... or your pet cat

Prime32
2009-10-14, 03:30 PM
The entropomancer PrC can summon something close, but it's very weak. At least at 10th level you become immune to spheres of annihilation...

Myou
2009-10-14, 03:40 PM
The entropomancer PrC can summon something close, but it's very weak. At least at 10th level you become immune to spheres of annihilation...

Wow, that is at the same time both incredibly powerful and completely pathetic. xD

Radiun
2009-10-14, 03:45 PM
What do you do against the 2ft tall Entropomancer hiding inside a sphere of Annihilation?

Signmaker
2009-10-14, 03:47 PM
Well, there's the ninth level spell that summons a sphere of annihalation. There's that...

Edit: page 200 spell compendium, 'Sphere of Ultimate Darkness'

*Points to OP* :smallfrown:
It's more of a disintegrating sphere, and does not even once mention its correlation to the Sphere of Annihilation.

Myou
2009-10-14, 03:53 PM
What do you do against the 2ft tall Entropomancer hiding inside a sphere of Annihilation?

You wait for Avdol to show up and save you, meanwhile mocking him for being named after a 90s rapper. :smallamused:

Or you wait for him to stop being imaginary.

mostlyharmful
2009-10-14, 04:02 PM
*Points to OP* :smallfrown:
It's more of a disintegrating sphere, and does not even once mention its correlation to the Sphere of Annihilation.

close enough for government work.

Signmaker
2009-10-14, 04:08 PM
close enough for government work.

In my situation, not quite. It's like suggesting a vacuum cleaner when I need help filtering air: yes, the mechanical motions do seem the same, but there's just something lacking that truly fufills the objective. In my case, I need a "Sphere of Annihilation" rather than a "Sphere of Disintegration that looks quite similar to a Sphere of Annihilation"

mostlyharmful
2009-10-14, 04:11 PM
In my situation, not quite. It's like suggesting a vacuum cleaner when I need help filtering air: yes, the mechanical motions do seem the same, but there's just something lacking that truly fufills the objective. In my case, I need a "Sphere of Annihilation" rather than a "Sphere of Disintegration that looks quite similar to a Sphere of Annihilation"

Ah, so we have an objective rather than just being able to toss around ultimate sucking doom, what is it exactly please?

Radiun
2009-10-14, 04:14 PM
You wait for Avdol to show up and save you, meanwhile mocking him for being named after a 90s rapper. :smallamused:

Or you wait for him to stop being imaginary.

A quick google turned up Mohammed Avdol, a character from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure who controlled fire... I think I'm missing something here:smallfrown::smallredface:

Leewei
2009-10-14, 04:16 PM

If the immunity is Su, cast antimagic field, step close and giggle.

Radiun
2009-10-14, 04:20 PM
If the immunity is Su, cast antimagic field, step close and giggle.

It could be argued that the Sphere blocks line of effect, like a wall, only more terrifying, though less terrifying than a living wall.

Ozymandias9
2009-10-14, 04:21 PM
Pre-Epic and from a theoretical optimization standpoint (therefore, devoid of such nuances as 'plot' or 'physics'), is there a way to create or summon a Sphere of Annihilation?

Note that the Sphere of Ultimate Destruction is not, in fact, a Sphere of Annihilation.

Not really. As Sinfire pointed out, there are location, setting, and campaigns that may give access to one, but that's essentially just tiny bits of plot.

The Sphere is presented as an artifact, and artifact creation and acquisition rules are deliberately excluded from the rules: it was an active decision to leave those decisions in the realm of plot and campaign design.

Myou
2009-10-14, 04:27 PM
A quick google turned up Mohammed Avdol, a character from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure who controlled fire... I think I'm missing something here:smallfrown::smallredface:

He and Jean Pierre Polnareff fought a vampire named Vanilla Ice whose psychic superpowers manifested as a large muscular humanoid who swallowed the vampire, who hid inside it as it flew about in spherical form disintegrating all in its path, exactly like an entropomancer hiding in a sphere of annihiliation.

Polnareff was losing until Avdol saved him. :smallsmile:

Grumman
2009-10-14, 05:36 PM
The original Force domain for Tharizdun in Dragon Magazine had a level 9 spell that created a temporary Sphere of Annihilation. An Entropist (not Entropomancer) of Tharizdun would be an enemy worth fearing.

Zaq
2009-10-14, 08:54 PM
TO territory, you say?

1) Sphere of Annihilation is an artifact. Specifically, a minor artifact.
2) Deities can make artifacts. Making minor artifacts is not really a big deal to a moderately high DR deity.
3) Deities, while immune to Diplomancy (at this point, this isn't Diplomacy. This is Diplomancy.) making them Fanatic (it's mind-affecting, after all), are not immune to Diplomancy making them Helpful.

So, you just need a way to chat with a deity who would be inclined to pop out a Sphere or two for one round, use your standard Diplomancy spiel, and ask for help. Now you just have to find a way to chat up a god. Plane Shift probably isn't good enough, but it's a start. I doubt Commune would do it, but it might. I dunno. But still, all you really have to do is crank up that Diplo mod and catch a god's ear. I recommend starting with a deity who doesn't have a reason to dislike you.

Glimbur
2009-10-14, 09:11 PM
You can catch "Extraplanar Attention" with a fairly easy perform check. That's not specifically a god, but it's a start.

Akal Saris
2009-10-14, 11:42 PM
1. Killing the Tome of Magic's lich seems like a viable idea
2. Pazuzu, pazuzu, pazuzu, can I have a Sphere of Ultimate Destruction? (almost certainly doomed to fail, but what could he possibly do that's worse than giving you your wish?)

Kylarra
2009-10-14, 11:43 PM
1. Killing the Tome of Magic's lich seems like a viable idea
2. Pazuzu, pazuzu, pazuzu, can I have a Sphere of Ultimate Destruction? (almost certainly doomed to fail, but what could he possibly do that's worse than giving you your wish?)

He could put you in it, but why bother?

Keld Denar
2009-10-15, 01:03 AM
(almost certainly doomed to fail, but what could he possibly do that's worse than giving you your wish?)

Worse than not granting your wish? Granting your wish...such that the sphere is actually touching you in very inappropriate places.

Signmaker
2009-10-15, 12:10 PM
Worse than not granting your wish? Granting your wish...such that the sphere is actually touching you in very inappropriate places.

I wouldn't mind. >>