PDA

View Full Version : Hooray For Rain -_-

Fax Celestis
2009-10-14, 03:15 PM
Yesterday:

Today, during the biggest storm the San Francisco bay area has seen in a decade, I discovered that my new neighborhood is a flood zone and that the garage on my new house leaks. Since I recently moved, my stuff is all still in cardboard boxes in the garage. Now, it is mostly a puddle. FML (http://www.fmylife.com/).

Today:

Yesterday, some of my worldly possessions were soaked in water due to a gigantic storm that nearly flooded my garage; Today, FML wouldn't publish my FML. FML.

arguskos
2009-10-14, 03:18 PM
DAAAAAAMN. FML turned you down? That's rough.

My sympathies about your things though, I know how that is. :smallfrown:

Fax Celestis
2009-10-14, 03:26 PM
DAAAAAAMN. FML turned you down? That's rough.

My sympathies about your things though, I know how that is. :smallfrown:

I am now down one (1) TV, one (1) dresser, one (1) desk, and innumerable (∞) cardboard boxes filled with I don't even know what yet.

Tavar
2009-10-14, 03:32 PM
Wow, that really sucks. Hope too much isn't un-salvageable.

Lappy9000
2009-10-14, 03:33 PM
Hmm...I've heard how California's expecting some massive rain for a while. Stinks that that happened, but good luck to you over there; I'll be sending some Prayer spells from my patron deity.

SurlySeraph
2009-10-14, 03:46 PM
Argh. If it's sunny again, I'd advise opening the boxes up and putting them out in the sun to start the drying process. Leave them wet too long and they'll start to rot.

Pika...
2009-10-14, 03:50 PM
Try to save the gaming books first!

Anyway, I wish we got some of that rain here in Florida. God the heat is getting bad.

Fax Celestis
2009-10-14, 03:55 PM
Argh. If it's sunny again, I'd advise opening the boxes up and putting them out in the sun to start the drying process. Leave them wet too long and they'll start to rot.

Actually, it's still raining. -_-

Jack Squat
2009-10-14, 04:07 PM
Spread out the stuff you can.

Putting items on a low heat in the oven can help dry them out. For easily flammable things, just leaving the oven light on may be best. For larger items, fans and blow driers if you can get them. The key is ventilation, and some heat will help things.

I'd say that any books are probably toast if they got soaked. Document everything and file an insurance claim as fast as possible.

Istari
2009-10-14, 04:21 PM
*hugs* :smallfrown:

Hope you turn out ok

Elfin
2009-10-14, 04:34 PM
I feel your pain. The storm was really rough.
Hope it turns out OK.

DaedalusMkV
2009-10-14, 04:37 PM
Wow, here was me going to come in and complain about three inches of snow and all that.:smallwink: Well, I have to admit that that sounds pretty terrible, Fax. Good luck with getting it all sorted out, I hope that at least some of it is salvagable! Also, if you want to get things dried out ASAP try renting some industrial-grade heaters from your friendly neighborhood construction equipment place, or even buying one from a Home Hardware or something. They're more useful than you'd think.

Pro Tip: Snow still sucks, especially around this time of the year. There's nothing like having most of it melt in the day, then freeze at night for a wonderful zero-traction driving experience. :smallfrown:

Fax Celestis
2009-10-14, 04:38 PM
Heh, we don't get snow around here very often. When it does, people go to church because they think they've done something wrong.

alchemyprime
2009-10-14, 04:45 PM
Hey Fax.

It's raining down in SoCal too. Its starting to clear up, but it'll come back by the weekend I heard.

Nothing flooded for me this time. But I'm worried too. I hope things turn out better soon, and that you can save what you can.

It saddens me when such a tragedy befalls one of my favorite fellow homebrewers.

(And don't worry. FML turns me down all the time. :smallannoyed:)

DaedalusMkV
2009-10-14, 05:08 PM
Heh, we don't get snow around here very often. When it does, people go to church because they think they've done something wrong.
We had a month without snow once. I think. At least, I've been told that that was the case. I can't remember it, but it must be true.
Nah, we only rarely get snow in july. Except, you know, this year... Well, last year too. Yeah, record lows all across the board the last few years. At least the thunderstorms were spectacular (not sarcastic; thunderstorms in the mountains are really, really cool).
It's said there are three seasons here: winter, almost-winter and july.

Warpfire
2009-10-14, 05:22 PM
Let me try and simulate the FML experience for you:

YDI for living in a place that rains.
Also, FAAAAKE!

But seriously, that sucks.

Icewalker
2009-10-14, 05:23 PM
Yeah, that was a hell of a storm yesterday, out of basically nowhere. That's really awful, hope you didn't lose too many irreplaceable things.

Blue Ghost
2009-10-14, 07:03 PM
:smalleek: Wow. All that happened to me was getting drenched.

What a torrent that was... I was screaming "The sky is falling!" the whole day.

I hope that you can recover soon, and that it'll work out for the best.