PDA

View Full Version : Kobolds and Size

Edwin
2009-10-14, 03:39 PM
Yo.

I'm about to enter a campaign, and I need a reliable way to make a Dragonwrought Kobold Sorcerer of 6th level larger.

And when I say reliable, I mean that it should be of a longer lasting period of time, preferably a day or so, but it also needs to easily renewable. As in, casting a spell, using an item, a potion, scroll, whatever.

Anyone know of a way to do this? Assume all books and Standard WBL(13000).

Mando Knight
2009-10-14, 03:44 PM
Why do you want a larger Kobold? Small is good for a Kobold: it grants it a +1 size bonus to AC (which applies to touch AC as well!), and allows it to navigate smaller tunnels than Medium characters. You're also a Sorcerer. If you're needing weapons, turn into something instead.

Tanaric
2009-10-14, 03:45 PM
Lightbringer sovereign archetype from dragons of eberron. Take the Extra Turning feat, Persistent Spell, and DMM: Persist. Buy a nightstick. Persist Alter Self and transform yourself into something medium sized.

There's probably some other ways, but that's what popped into my head first.

Edit: I have to agree with the above. I'm not sure why you want to be bigger. Persistent Alter Selfing yourself into a Tiny dragon with a fly speed would probably be better, but you did ask for larger...

Myrmex
2009-10-14, 03:47 PM
Have you tried Extenze? It's the simple pill that makes a man... oh, wait, never mind. It won't work on a Dragonwrought kobold. It's a Dragon, not a Humanoid.

There's a psionic power called Expand. You could mimic it with Limited Wish.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-14, 03:48 PM
I assume for Polymorph purposes? The best you can do there is hit yourself with multiple Polymorph spells and increase a size category every time.

In other words:

Alter Self from Dragonwrought Kobold into Medium Dragon of your choice.

Polymorph From Medium Dragon of your choice into Large sized Dragon of your choice.

Dismiss Alter Self (Polymorph remains active, and doesn't change because State-Based Effects don't exist in DnD).

Continue until you hit your chosen size category.

This may not work depending on the spell's wording.

Mando Knight
2009-10-14, 03:48 PM
Edit: I have to agree with the above. I'm not sure why you want to be bigger. Persistent Alter Selfing yourself into a Tiny dragon with a fly speed would probably be better, but you did ask for larger...

That's a level 8 spell. Even with Dragonwrought cheese, it's still out of the immediate reach of a level 6 Sorcerer.

Tanaric
2009-10-14, 03:50 PM
Except that he'd be using DMM: Persist, not actual spell levels.

If you can get Loredrake past your DM, you could also cast 4th level spells, bringing Polymorph into the picture. Of course, Lightbringer is a lot more likely to fly...

Mando Knight
2009-10-14, 03:53 PM

I had skipped over your suggestion of DMM: Win. Oops. :smallredface:

JellyPooga
2009-10-14, 03:55 PM
Does he have to be physically larger, or just effectively larger?

If the latter, then the Kobold Endurance feat gives you +4(!) to Str and Con checks (that's the equivalent of +8 to both Str and Con, or two size increases). (Greater) Mighty Wallop makes your weapon pack the punch of someone much greater in height and girth than you. I'm sure there's a bunch of other Feats, Abilities and Class Variants that give bonuses to stuff like resisting Bull Rush and Trip (another bonus of larger size) and suchlike.

If you're after becoming physically larger, then I'm afraid I can't help...

Bayar
2009-10-14, 04:03 PM
Wait, so Kobold endurance will let you hit things harder too ? Or improve your fort saves against other things that are not specifically listed ? (like poison, spells...)

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-14, 04:04 PM

If you can get Loredrake past your DM, you could also cast 4th level spells, bringing Polymorph into the picture. Of course, Lightbringer is a lot more likely to fly...

DMM only affects Divine Spells. If not for that clause, the Dread Necromancer would be Tier 2 or better.

Tanaric
2009-10-14, 04:05 PM
As a free action, you can take the energy from turning or rebuking undead and use it to apply a metamagic feat to spells that you know.

Unless I'm missing an errata somewhere, it doesn't say "Divine spells" anywhere in there. :smallconfused:

Eldariel
2009-10-14, 04:06 PM
Unless I'm missing an errata somewhere, it doesn't say "Divine spells" anywhere in there. :smallconfused:

You're missing an errata.

JellyPooga
2009-10-14, 04:13 PM
Wait, so Kobold endurance will let you hit things harder too ? Or improve your fort saves against other things that are not specifically listed ? (like poison, spells...)

No, just on raw Str and Con checks...so you can lift a portcullis like someone with twice your Str, but it doesn't mean you hit any harder

Edwin
2009-10-14, 04:28 PM
Nice suggestions all, except for the most part they're way out of reach of a 6th level kobold sorcerer.

And the reason I need to larger rather than smaller, is because I'm trying to make my kobold into something that resembles a dragon, without actually being a dragon.

So far I've got flying, tail slapping, spells and a breath weapon(kinda).

All I need is to be larger.

Darrin
2009-10-14, 04:49 PM

Well, since Dragonwrought changes your type to dragon, Alter Self will let you change into any medium-sized dragon up to 6HD. 10 min/level, so lasts an hour.

Or try Phylactery of Change in A&EG. All-day polymorph for... 11200 GP I think? Only goes up to 7HD, but I think you can go up to any size.

Otherwise, there are some "Aspect of [blah]" spells in... Races of the Dragon I think? Or was it Dragon Magic? that offer limited polymorph into dragon forms.

Edwin
2009-10-14, 06:00 PM
Well, since Dragonwrought changes your type to dragon, Alter Self will let you change into any medium-sized dragon up to 6HD. 10 min/level, so lasts an hour.

Or try Phylactery of Change in A&EG. All-day polymorph for... 11200 GP I think? Only goes up to 7HD, but I think you can go up to any size.

Otherwise, there are some "Aspect of [blah]" spells in... Races of the Dragon I think? Or was it Dragon Magic? that offer limited polymorph into dragon forms.

The Aspect of and similar are from Dragon Magic I believe, but I think the lowest one is 4th level - so not an option.

The phylactery sounds like a sounds strategy though, I'll look it up, thanks.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-14, 06:49 PM
Nice suggestions all, except for the most part they're way out of reach of a 6th level kobold sorcerer.

And the reason I need to larger rather than smaller, is because I'm trying to make my kobold into something that resembles a dragon, without actually being a dragon.

Dragonborn Dragonwrought Kobold Totemist/Sorcerer/Soulcaster with the Dragon Tail feat, the wings Aspect, and the right Totem chakra bind. Oh, and grab Divine Power somehow. There you go, 24/7 Dragon with no LA and no Polymorphing required.