PDA

View Full Version : Book Club thread: Small Gods pages 1-80

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-14, 04:56 PM
All right, heres the first discussion for our book club, here we can discuss the first 80 pages of Small Gods by Terry Pratchett. Talk about any part of this novel, be it a prediction about the future, the writers style, things you find funny. Please discuss only these pages. I will put up a thread for the next few pages next week.

Anyways, In my view, this book has a very funny plot, but it seems that the author is trying too hard to be funny and because of that the writing isn't that good.

I do enjoy the mystery of why the great god Om has lost most of his powers. Here is my theory why:
The god Om has slowly been replaced by a lesser god who has made people now worship him by creating new prophets

anyone else have any comments?

BritishBill
2009-10-17, 01:41 AM
The book seems pretty funny so far. I really like the comedy.
I really like the character Vorbis. He is very menacing, and at the same time the way the author describes him is hilarious.

Alarra
2009-10-17, 09:10 AM
Gah, I forgot to bring the book with me and now I'm in South Dakota for the next week and a half.

Serpentine
2009-10-17, 09:21 AM
Just a note: I would totally be joining in on this if I had the time to read consistently!

I've read more than the first 80 pages, so I'll stay quiet :smalltongue:

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-17, 09:52 AM
Gah, I forgot to bring the book with me and now I'm in South Dakota for the next week and a half.

NOOOOO!!!!! How could you do this to me!!:smalltongue:

The book seems pretty funny so far. I really like the comedy.
I really like the character Vorbis. He is very menacing, and at the same time the way the author describes him is hilarious.

I'll agree with you for the Vorbis part. He gives me the chills.

Serpentine
2009-10-17, 10:43 AM
I find most of his characters to be grotesque - even the pretty/good/handsome/noble ones.

Trobby
2009-10-17, 11:00 AM
Hey...sorry if I'm intruding on the book club but...it just so happens that I've read this book.

It's probably one of my favorites from Terry Pratchett, right alongside Reaper Man as far as quality goes. I admit that his humor tends to get a little bit...zany, would probably be the best word.

Vorbis...oh gods Vorbis...he truly is one of the most wretched men in the multiverse. You have no idea.

And as for Om's diminished power, you should be able to figure it out soon, once you get a bit further in. He'll never admit it himself, but...well, this could be a major spoiler...so double spoil tags.

while you read, pay attention to the concept of faith and how each character relates to that concept.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-17, 11:18 AM
Sam as Introlubos here. Not an official member, but I really like this book and it's in my top ten. Having read it all the way through I can say that on the next read through you notice so many little bits of foreshadowing and clever word play.
I'm just tempted to link the annotated Pratchett file concerning this book here; but past eighty it's ALL SPOILERS. So I won't.

As far as discussion goes, it being a religious parody would make it tricky forumwise to discuss parts of it, but seeing as Alarra's here it'll be okay as long as she says it is. And it doesn't get out of hand or goes any further than pointing them out. Perhaps. It depends on her.

It's been a while, but my favourite parts of the first eighty pages (as in: parts I know are in the first eighty pages) have to be:
Om.
Brutha (tip: Brootha is one way of pronouncing it. But try bru-tha. "Good day Brother Brutha." :smallsmirk:) in his garden.
Brutha singing.
Omnia's version of Dibbler
The novice master.

Vorbis is bad and evil and really rather horrible in ways in which you'll be enlightened later on in quite clear detail. The tortoise thing is just the start.

Viera Champion
2009-10-17, 05:10 PM
I am three quarters through the book. I feel special that the book I nominated was the one picked. Also I think Om is the awesomest God that is stuck as a tortoise ever!!!!

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-21, 03:38 PM
Hey, Sorry I haven't updated this in a while. Family emergency. Hope you understand anyways Im making the link for the next 100 pages now where we can discuss those pages. Sorry once again.
Alright. Heres (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7166578#post7166578)the link