PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna hang with you guys for a while.

SDF
2009-10-14, 05:16 PM
So both the girls I live with, my best friend, and my entire immediate family have contracted the swine flu. I went to get the seasonal flu vaccine today and they were all out. I've been cowering from sick people in my room for the past couple of days.

I figure the Playground is the safest place for me to be during all this. =P So guys, can I sleep on the couch?

Jacklu
2009-10-14, 05:19 PM
*sneezes on*

Welcome and relax!

*cough* *wheeze*

Nothing but healthy playgrounders around here!

Nameless
2009-10-14, 05:20 PM
Hey! I'm sleeping on the couch! >:I

Icewalker
2009-10-14, 05:21 PM
My friend had swine flu, and has recovered with a mild case of pneumonia. Another friend's younger brother did too.

That's a pretty impressive count though, hope they're all doing alright.

TheThan
2009-10-14, 05:22 PM
Hey! I'm sleeping on the couch! >:I

fortunately its a fold out bed (fits two).

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-14, 05:22 PM
sure, but be careful of Mordokai, he likes watching people in his sleep when hes not off with that nymph

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-14, 05:23 PM
I have one question... Uhm, how? I mean how did everyone get sick with swine flu? Especially considering you're in Idaho - it's not like it's a major transport hub...

SDF
2009-10-14, 05:26 PM
Well it isn't like our Amish buggies never leave the state :smalltongue: My roommate just got back from a poetry slam in Berkeley gave it to my other roommate and best friend. And, iuno my family is dumb.

I like fold out bed couches. Reminds me of summer when I was young.

Nameless
2009-10-14, 05:26 PM
fortunately its a fold out bed (fits two).

Heh, reminds me of this thing that happened. :smallbiggrin:

Jacklu
2009-10-14, 05:32 PM
Heh, reminds me of this thing that happened. :smallbiggrin:

Please, do go on. :smallamused:

Gamerlord
2009-10-14, 05:48 PM

Oh! Oh!

I kno-

*quickly gets machinegunned*

On topic: The entire family? Wow! Hope they get better!

Nameless
2009-10-14, 05:49 PM

It's nothing like that. I SWEAR!
>.>
<.<
*jumps from window*

Allysian
2009-10-14, 05:52 PM
I'm a non-important stranger, but it's more fun that way!
^.^

Syka
2009-10-14, 05:52 PM
Good luck in not getting ill. :smallsmile:

I'm kinda shocked that I haven't caught it yet since A. I live in super-tourist-zone Florida, B. I work at a PHARMACY (we've had several confirmed swine flu cases come through the store), C. I go to a very international school, D. my immune system is pretty sucky.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you SDF. And don't forget, there is also a tub. We can get you blankets and a pillow to make your stay more comfortable. :smallwink:

Silverraptor
2009-10-14, 07:15 PM
I was working on an island at a boyscout camp suring the summer.

I contracted 3 illness there that were serious enought to put me in camp quarantine. (Meaning I was locked in my cabin until I got better) Since we got hundreds of boycsouts a week, and there were a lot of illnesses going around, right about the time of swine flu outbreak. Odds are I caught it on the island. But I survived! And as healthy as ever! Immunity to swine, here I come!:smallbiggrin:

And sure, you can always hang out with us. Now if you excuse me, I have to call the sheriff to bring Nameless back. He does naughty stuff when in the streets unsupervised.:smallamused:

Solaris
2009-10-14, 09:53 PM
Meh, swine flu's weak. I had it in Iraq for about four days as I was getting shuttled out to go on mid-tour leave. Recovered without any meds. Made all the guys bunking with me quite hateful and nervous, though.

Lodlampa
2009-10-14, 09:55 PM
You're welcome to couch surf here any time. :smallbiggrin:

thubby
2009-10-14, 10:19 PM
ironically, as everyone is getting sick, a bit of serendipity may be curing my chronic ills.

SDF
2009-10-14, 10:32 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you SDF. And don't forget, there is also a tub. We can get you blankets and a pillow to make your stay more comfortable. :smallwink:

That sounds so freaking cozy right now. Especially with the clouds and rain out. MMMmmm....

Hey is it bad when I, a pretty average guy, get more disgusted at the toilet and end up cleaning it than my roommate, who is female? She's pretty girly and clean from what I can tell so it isn't just a misplaced stereotype. The thing was practically sentient. I rate myself on the slob side of neat freak. If the toilet gets me sick I'm just going to start hosing it down with bleach from my lab.

Solaris
2009-10-14, 10:57 PM
Hey is it bad when I, a pretty average guy, get more disgusted at the toilet and end up cleaning it than my roommate, who is female? She's pretty girly and clean from what I can tell so it isn't just a misplaced stereotype. The thing was practically sentient. I rate myself on the slob side of neat freak. If the toilet gets me sick I'm just going to start hosing it down with bleach from my lab.

...Murderer.

SDF
2009-10-14, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I don't know what that thing was, probably bacteria based, but I sent it to hell and I don't even feel bad about it! :smallbiggrin:

KataraAltinaII
2009-10-14, 11:12 PM
So both the girls I live with, my best friend, and my entire immediate family have contracted the swine flu. I went to get the seasonal flu vaccine today and they were all out. I've been cowering from sick people in my room for the past couple of days.

I figure the Playground is the safest place for me to be during all this. =P So guys, can I sleep on the couch?

of course.

besides, Swine Flu is just a hoax encouraged by the media. Apparently the world is just becoming too boring of a place.

and if you still believe in worldwide "pandemics", then here's a game for you to try.

https://armorgames.com/play/3189/pandemic-ii :smallbiggrin:

Lycan 01
2009-10-14, 11:19 PM
My roommate's bro had swine flu, my roommate had something close to it, my GF had a weak cold, my dad had something for a week that was probably H1N1, my mom was on and off sick, my bro had something aweful........

I've been feeling pretty good actually. :smallbiggrin:

Stormthorn
2009-10-14, 11:35 PM
Yes you can crash on the Playgorunds couch for a while.

But i feel we need to put you in 24 hour quarentine just to be safe before we let you into the library or near the wet bar. These are the two areas i frequent.

Coidzor
2009-10-15, 01:00 AM
See, when that happens you just leave the house for a couple of days.

Though hiding behind a bonfire and tossing their corpses onto it after headshotting the zombies works too.

Girls are apparently pretty bad about bathrooms actually. The stories my dad could tell of when he was a hospital grunt and had to clean out the womens' restrooms.

Mostly involving biohazardous waste improperly disposed of, but still. Apparently he got to talking shop with the janitors at the defense contractor he used to work for and found out that the women in management and engineering and such there were even worse about how they treated their lavatory facilities.

Probably thinks of you as her own personal bathroom janitor or something. :smalltongue:

Lord Herman
2009-10-15, 01:18 AM
Swine Flu's nothing. Here, we've got Trog Flu. It's transmitted through posting, chatting, and consorting with troglodytes.

Mordokai
2009-10-15, 01:20 AM
sure, but be careful of Mordokai, he likes watching people in his sleep when hes not off with that nymph

Lies! Lies and slander, I tell you!

Coidzor
2009-10-15, 01:26 AM
Yes, she's actually a half-dryad, half-nymph, right?

Keld Denar
2009-10-15, 01:30 AM
Yea...I work in the rctic. Its REALLY close quarters (think barracks close, or dorm room close, maybe closer) and REALLY isolated. It also gets people coming in from all over the US to work, and they bring all kinds of colorful bugs with them. You can tell when the Noro-virus makes a run through the camps, as man-power is cut nearly in half and big security guards stand at the entrances of the cafeteria with bottles of Purell+++++ (5 +'s means it HARDCORE). Failure to sanitize means denial of food, and argueing about it can lead to a swift termination. These people don't mess around when it comes to cleanliness.

Icewalker
2009-10-15, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I don't know what that thing was, probably bacteria based, but I sent it to hell and I don't even feel bad about it! :smallbiggrin:

I think you want this thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128379). :smalltongue:

Gullara
2009-10-15, 11:14 AM
Swine Flu's nothing. Here, we've got Trog Flu. It's transmitted through posting, chatting, and consorting with troglodytes.

Trog flu's not a problem once you've got all your shots:smalltongue: So avoid him like the plague until you do.

Telonius
2009-10-15, 12:08 PM
Ugh, flu shots. Normally I wouldn't bother, but my daughter is too young for them this year. (She's just under 2 months, and they can't give them to babies under 6 months). Of course my office just canceled their yearly flu shot (supposed to take place next week) since they ran out of vaccine. And did I mention, I take two public transportation systems (MARC and Metro) to work? :smallannoyed: At this rate they'll have moved on to Gerbil Flu before anybody actually gets vaccinated.

Gullara
2009-10-15, 12:32 PM
Ugh, flu shots. Normally I wouldn't bother, but my daughter is too young for them this year. (She's just under 2 months, and they can't give them to babies under 6 months). Of course my office just canceled their yearly flu shot (supposed to take place next week) since they ran out of vaccine. And did I mention, I take two public transportation systems (MARC and Metro) to work? :smallannoyed: At this rate they'll have moved on to Gerbil Flu before anybody actually gets vaccinated.

I've never actually had a flu shot and I've never had the flu either, so its not something I worry about.

blackfox
2009-10-15, 12:35 PM
Had the flu twice, never had a flu shot. 500 cases of H1N1 at Cornell, one fatal... I should probably get the shot this year. But I really don't want to. :smallyuk:

Gullara
2009-10-15, 12:47 PM
Its not like the swine flu shot is ready. Its not is it?

Keld Denar
2009-10-15, 01:56 PM
It is, and has already been reformulated in the US since the initial release due to reports of certain really nasty side effects. I'm sure you could read up on it on any major news website with a little searching, if it really interests you.

Speaking of which, anyone hear all the controversy about a year ago when a hospital mandated that all staff MUST get the flu vaccine or risk termination? I guess a bunch of people protested because they believed that nobody else should be able to control what gets put in their bodies. You wonder if those same people are the type of people who would deny their newborn the 20something odd vaccinations that kids get between 0 and 2 years as well. I mean, there has to be some reason why you almost never hear of kids get the measles or whooping cough any more...

Anyone hear anything about the fallout on these? The media is always quick to cover these things when the controversy spikes, but they fail miserably at the followup.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-15, 02:31 PM
Speaking of which, anyone hear all the controversy about a year ago when a hospital mandated that all staff MUST get the flu vaccine or risk termination? I guess a bunch of people protested because they believed that nobody else should be able to control what gets put in their bodies. You wonder if those same people are the type of people who would deny their newborn the 20something odd vaccinations that kids get between 0 and 2 years as well. I mean, there has to be some reason why you almost never hear of kids get the measles or whooping cough any more...
There is a big difference between say, diptheria or poliomyelitis and flu. Especially since vaccines for the first two work 100% with few side effects while protecting you from some really nasty diseases (e.g. if you have diptheria you pretty much need to have your throat cut open) while flu shots barely do anything. Seriously, they don't. Read some scientific papers on the topic (scientific as in published in scientific journals, not USA Today). There's too many strains of flu which mutate every year and there's too much difference among different types of flu for a more or less universal vaccine even in the course of one season.

Oh, they can also really mess up someone who has a weak immune system.

SDF
2009-10-15, 03:25 PM
Wut?! No wai! (http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/PROFESSIONALS/VACCINATION/effectivenessqa.htm)

Vaccine misinformation is like one of my biggest pet peeves ever. If you have a bad immune system (like yours truely) the flu shot will not harm you. Only if you get the live attenuated vaccine can you get sick. Which, is why I have yet to get the swine flu vaccine because there is only the nasal form of the immunization out here. And I'm going to trust the CDCs efficacy models over almost any other source.

chiasaur11
2009-10-15, 04:30 PM
Well, no swine flu here.

Of course, a local hospital had an odd case of mad cow recently.

Patient was kinda psychotic. Bit a doctor...

Well, it's probably nothing.

Although I do feel a bit... itchy.

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-15, 04:37 PM
Well, no swine flu here.

Of course, a local hospital had an odd case of mad cow recently.

Patient was kinda psychotic. Bit a doctor...

Well, it's probably nothing.

That's what they always say, just before the Zombie eats there face off.

SoD
2009-10-15, 04:39 PM
Grr...I'm rather dissapointed in the fact that I am yet to contract Swine Flu.

I don't want to be telling my grandkids "Oh, back in my day, when I were a young lad, we had a global pandemic!"
"Ooh!"
"But I wasn't involved."
"oh."

Syka
2009-10-15, 04:48 PM
Wut?! No wai! (http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/PROFESSIONALS/VACCINATION/effectivenessqa.htm)

Vaccine misinformation is like one of my biggest pet peeves ever. If you have a bad immune system (like yours truely) the flu shot will not harm you. Only if you get the live attenuated vaccine can you get sick. Which, is why I have yet to get the swine flu vaccine because there is only the nasal form of the immunization out here. And I'm going to trust the CDCs efficacy models over almost any other source.

Srsly. I've gotten the flu shot every year I could because I'm in a high risk group (asthma, represent), and never gotten the flu despite a pretty bad immune system. But I've also never gotten the LIVE virus, only the dead one.

But evidently, despite being in the high risk group for normal flu (asthma) and a high risk group for swine flu (early twenties), according to my manager I'm not a 'priority' according to Walgreens to get the shot. :smallannoyed:

charl
2009-10-15, 04:51 PM
I already had the swine flu earlier this summer, and I recovered. That supposedly makes me immune now.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-15, 05:55 PM
I'll hang out with you! and I hope your family gets better.

bosssmiley
2009-10-16, 06:18 AM
Well it isn't like our Amish buggies never leave the state :smalltongue: My room mate just got back from a poetry slam in Berkeley gave it to my other room mate and best friend.

And what do we learn from this? Yep, that hippies and beatniks are plague-carriers, and that poetry readings should be fumigated. :smallwink:

*dons beaked mask, waves pomander*
Trog like the beak. :smallwink:

Swine Flu has been a busted flush here in the UK. No-one has actually died of it (only of 'flu-related complications to existing conditions). I distinctly remember predictions of 200,000+ dead from the usual hypemongers, fear leeches and lie factories.

TehSheen
2009-10-16, 06:49 AM
Cool, let's just chill in the Playground...I call that awesome chair on the right!

Trobby
2009-10-16, 09:45 AM
This is why I'm glad to live off on a little hill in the countryside.

I mean, sure I have to rake a literal ton of leaves away every year, and several tons of snow during the winter, but hey, no swine flu scare. :smalltongue:

and if you still believe in worldwide "pandemics", then here's a game for you to try.

https://armorgames.com/play/3189/pandemic-ii :smallbiggrin:

Or this (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30549), if you're into board games. :smallbiggrin:

*Rolls out a sleeping bag* :smallredface: I've never been to a sleepover before. :smallbiggrin: This will be fun! Let's make popcorn and paint each other's nails and talk about boys!

Edit: Incidentally, no love for this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128205) thread? :smallfrown: I guess it wasn't such a great idea after all...