PDA

View Full Version : My world's pantheon

An Enemy Spy
2009-10-14, 05:47 PM
These are the most important gods I've come up with for the Campaign setting I recently came up with.

Barat Kal: Lord of the Sea.
Barat Kal is one of the only gods who physically exists on this plane. He is a blue skinned man with many fishlike qualities about him and a shark tail instead of legs. He Resides in the deepest, darkest trench of the ocean where he controls the movements of the seas. Barat Kal is a cruel, humorless god who destroys coastal towns on a whim. To avoid being targeted by him, many coastal communities sacrifice members of the population to the sea every three months. Larger cities often hold mass sacrifices. These rituals often last all day and night, with sometimes over a hundred people being given to the ocean. Barat Kal claims the souls of all who are lost at sea.
Domains: Water, Chaos, Animal, Travel.
Favored Weapon: Shortspear

The Void
The Void is not so much a god as it a sentient force. It is the blackness that surrounds the world, and exists in every shadow. The Void surrounds all life, waiting to snuff it out. There is no way to escape it. The Void is not evil, though many of it’s priests are. When somebody dies, their soul must travel through the Void before it can find its way to its final destination. This can take centuries, even millennia. Many never make it through, and spend the rest of eternity lost in the cold and dark, utterly alone.
Domains: Death, Destruction, Trickery.
Favored Weapon: Net

Deimos: The Day Moon
Deimos is the lord of the light. He passes over the world during the day, and controls the Sun. During the winter, his power wanes, and days become shorter. When this happens, the Void’s power grows. This cycle goes on year after year. Deimos is kind, but distant in nature. He has many forms, but all anyone on the ephemeral realm see of him is the moon passing over in the daytime. His sister is Luna, the Night Moon.
Domains: Air, Fire, Good, Law, Protection, Sun.
Favored Weapon: Shortsword

Luna: The Night Moon
Just as Deimos watches the world at day, Luna watches it at night. She covers the world in her soft pale light, protecting it from the darkness of the Void. She is not as powerful as her brother however, so she cannot keep it fully at bay. During the winter, the Void’s power overcomes hers, causing the night to become darker.
Domains: Air,Chaos, Good, Healing, Luck, Magic.
Favored Weapon: Glaive

Arrakis: The Blood Seeker
Arrakis has no other gaol than to sow conflict and bloodshed throughout the world. He is a heartless, thoughtless god. He feeds off the deaths of those killed violently and becomes ever more powerful as more and more are slaughtered. Arrakis is often depicted as a figure in blood soaked armor riding a war rhino. Every war in the world is subtly influenced by him.
Domains: Chaos, Death, Evil, Fire, Protection, Strength, War.
Favored Weapon: Battleaxe

Yein: The Gardener
Yein is in every plant, every rock and every living thing that walks on the ground. Without her, there would be no life at all. She causes every plant that grows and every movement of the earth. She is both the caretaker of life, and the destroyer of it. She causes earthquakes and volcanic eruptions not because of malevolence, but because she is apathetic to the plight of those she harms. Yien sees life not as a sacred thing to be protected, but as simply another aspect of her world, like the mountains and valleys she controls.
Domains: Animal, Destruction, Earth, Fire, Plant, Travel.
Favored Weapon: Greatclub

Allaris: The Sorcerer
Allaris is the creator of magic and it was his gift to the Ephemeral Realm. He is a dark malevolent god, who despises what the sentient races have become. His worshippers revere him not out of devotion, but out of fear. Allaris considers himself to be higher than the other gods, except for the Void, which he regards with the utmost respect.
Domains: Evil, Law, Knowledge, Magic, Strength.
Favored Weapon: Bastard Sword

Tell me if there are ways I can improve it, or if I'm missing any Domains.

Athaniar
2009-10-15, 04:37 AM
Looks like a good pantheon to me, but are Barat Kal and Arrakis supposed to be the only ones with favored weapons? Arrakis is the only one with the War domain, but if you plan on using favored souls, you should assign each of them a weapons.

An Enemy Spy
2009-10-15, 08:20 AM
Looks like a good pantheon to me, but are Barat Kal and Arrakis supposed to be the only ones with favored weapons? Arrakis is the only one with the War domain, but if you plan on using favored souls, you should assign each of them a weapons.

The rest of them don't actually have any form that could carry a weapon. So I don't know how I would give them one.

Athaniar
2009-10-15, 12:38 PM
I don't think the deity needs to wield the weapon him/her/itself, just give them some appropriate arms (as in weapons, that is, don't give them more limbs).

Kuma Kode
2009-10-15, 01:13 PM
Judging by their domains, you appear to be missing a lawful evil deity for that corner of the alignment grid to worship.

An Enemy Spy
2009-10-15, 04:31 PM
Judging by their domains, you appear to be missing a lawful evil deity for that corner of the alignment grid to worship.

Do you need one?

Kuma Kode
2009-10-15, 04:52 PM
If you don't mind leaving 11% of the population without any sort of deity to worship, no, you don't.

As it stands, your pantheon is heavily chaos-aligned, and there doesn't appear to be anyone for a lawful evil priest to follow. If there's a particular reason you want a chaotic pantheon, ignore me, but in my opinion, it's best to have a pantheon balanced enough that everyone at least has a choice, as suboptimal as it might be.

An Enemy Spy
2009-10-15, 05:37 PM
Actually, I think Allaris was supposed to LE but I forgot to add that.

Kuma Kode
2009-10-15, 05:47 PM
Ah, yeah, that works. Though a deity can have an alignment but not the appropriate domains, you didn't have them marked, so domains was all I could go by.

You've got all the domains covered, so I see no real problem with the pantheon, though you may want to add favored weapons, as has been suggested. Even if the deity itself could not physically wield the weapon, what weapon does it wish it could wield? What weapon does it like to see its clerics use? Or, even, what weapon do its clerics imagine it wield if it could wield a weapon and then behave accordingly despite that the favored weapon is really just made up by the clergy? Even without the war domain, a cleric will most likely try to wield their deity's weapon.

An Enemy Spy
2009-10-15, 05:53 PM
All right. I did some thinking and came up with weapons that I think matches each God.

Kuma Kode
2009-10-15, 05:55 PM
I like the symbolism of the Void favoring nets.

An Enemy Spy
2009-10-16, 06:45 PM
Changed Yien's other name to The Gardener. Sounds better tha Lady of the Earth.