PDA

View Full Version : D&D Terminology (3.5)

Tim-Tat
2009-10-14, 08:37 PM
I'm having some troubles adapting to the terms I keep seeing on this forum, such as the tiers of classes. I learned to play D&D through self-teaching with only the books and no internet, so it confuses me to see all these words I've never even heard about.
The first question that pops to mind is regarding the tiers. I keep hearing classes mentioned as Tier 1, as far as Tier 6, and I'm wondering what exactly this means. I assume it's tied into the power level of the class somehow, but I wonder if the higher power is at the lower or higher tiers, and whether there's a listing somewhere of what are commonly considered classes of varying tiers.
I'll add more questions here as I remember them; these things come and go as I see them in various threads.

industrious
2009-10-14, 08:39 PM
Tier 1 is the highest tier, with the best classes(all of them full casters)-Wizards, Clerics and Druids

Tier 6 is the lowest tier-NPC classes, the Samurai from Complete Warrior

jokey665
2009-10-14, 08:39 PM
Tier System for Classes. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=bc18425e5fa73d30e4a9a54889edf4 4e&topic=1002.0)

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-10-14, 08:58 PM
It's also not related directly to the power level of the class, but rather the versatility of the class. Sure, a wizard can pimp out any given spell to get absurd damage (just look at the Shadowcraft Gnome), but what makes wizard tier 1, is the fact that, at the drop of a hat, his entire game can change.

Flickerdart
2009-10-14, 09:04 PM
It's also not related directly to the power level of the class, but rather the versatility of the class. Sure, a wizard can pimp out any given spell to get absurd damage (just look at the Shadowcraft Gnome), but what makes wizard tier 1, is the fact that, at the drop of a hat, his entire game can change.
Whereas a Sorcerer, although he gets the same spells (and a few better spells the Wizard needs to jump through hoops to get), is only Tier 2 because he's stuck with those spells. If he wanted to change his role, though, he could grab different spells next time he gained a level, and a good Sorcerer always picks versatile spells. A Fighter, on the other hand, needs to spend multiple feats to be effective, and outside of his particular trick, can't contribute effectively at all. Some classes (Monk, etc.) don't even have something they can be good at, at all.

jokey665
2009-10-14, 09:11 PM
If he wanted to change his role, though, he could grab different spells next time he gained a level

...or limited wish Psychic Reformation. :smallbiggrin: