PDA

View Full Version : If you had one minor magic item...

industrious
2009-10-14, 10:02 PM
which one would you pick?

Rules:

You don't have any ranks in UMD
This is the real world
there is no rule 3

deuxhero
2009-10-14, 10:05 PM
Assumeing I am not Lawful Evil meaning I can not abuse a candle of evocation, Ring of Prestidigitation all the way.

Draz74
2009-10-14, 10:06 PM
Oi, Ring of Sustenance, no contest. No nutritional needs is nice, but I already pretty much eat what I want; but only 2 hours of sleep needed a night? Yes please!

deuxhero
2009-10-14, 10:08 PM
Hmm, would a ring of Prestidigitation AND Sustenance be "minor" still fairly cheep.

Roland St. Jude
2009-10-14, 10:16 PM
Hat of Disguise

Be all you can be! anyone you want!

deuxhero
2009-10-14, 10:20 PM
Eh, hat of disquises main weakeness is that it is only an illusion. Give me a cheep way of getting alter self (even if the limits were appearance only) at will however...

Alteran
2009-10-14, 10:23 PM
I'd probably go with a Ring of Sustenance or Hat of Disguise, but the Periapt of Health is tempting.

Zeuy
2009-10-14, 10:31 PM
Ring of Sustenance all the way! Save a TON of money; instead of food, I'd buy gaming junk, fix up my house and car, and get health insurance (maybe not all of those at once :smallbiggrin:) Two hours of sleep? Let's see, I'll be able to work a night job a day job, and still have about the same amount of time or a little extra for myself. YESYESYES!!!

If that doesn't count as a minor item, then I guess a ring of prestidigitation would be fun. :smalltongue:

Oooo! How about a canister of endless [liquid-name]? I'll make my own coffee shop or open up a soda factory. Mwhahahaha. The minor items really are the best...

Glimbur
2009-10-14, 10:45 PM
Phylactery of Faithfulness. A box I can strap to my head and use to ascend to the Papacy? Yes please.

Seriously though, Helm of Comprehend Languages and Read Magic or Headband of Int +2. Both useful in knowing things, the Helm especially. Linear A here I come, leaving alone whether or not it lets me read codes or if you need Decipher Script for that.

John Campbell
2009-10-14, 11:01 PM
No contest. Decanter of endless water. Best magic item ever.

Milskidasith
2009-10-14, 11:05 PM
Not all, actually. Just all of the ones that have been officially printed online. It's a nice resource, but not a list of every item.

root9125
2009-10-14, 11:06 PM
The flesh golem manual, for SURE. Win.

Solaris
2009-10-14, 11:09 PM
maybe the boots of the winterland (permanent endure cold, ie -50 degrees feels warm to you. Also, can trudge through snow and slippery ice without even noticing them.)

Oh, I am all over that like ugly on an ape. No more -50 suckage? No more slipping and busting my behind when I have to march in formation on ice? Hell yeah!

ocdscale
2009-10-14, 11:23 PM
Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments.
Draw two thousand gold pieces and sell it them at $1000 an ounce.

Weezer
2009-10-14, 11:25 PM
I would say ring of sustinence, save all that money on food, yes, be able to treat 2 hours of sleep as 8 hours, yes. Thats probably the most useful in all situations. A close second for me however is probably slippers of spider climb, I love climbing buildings and they would give me an opportunity to get onto places i'd never actually have a chance to get on to.

lsfreak
2009-10-14, 11:36 PM
Definitely Ring of Sustenance. I'm annoyed by the time I have to waste spent eating.. Going unconscious for 8 hours a day drives me crazy.

Out of curiosity, how would the lack of food, but having a ring, effect the consumption of alcohol? :smalltongue:

arguskos
2009-10-14, 11:37 PM
Definitely Ring of Sustenance. I'm annoyed by the time I have to waste spent eating.. Going unconscious for 8 hours a day drives me crazy.

Out of curiosity, how would the lack of food, but having a ring, effect the consumption of alcohol? :smalltongue:
Make it DELICIOUS. :smallcool: Likely, it'd still make you drunk.

Akal Saris
2009-10-14, 11:38 PM
I think the helm of comprehend languages - I study international affairs, so the helm would let me avoid years of language classes...

Too bad I'll be trying to talk to people while wearing a freaking helmet =P

Maybe if its just a tiny metal skullcap I can cover it in felt and pass myself off as a Jew...

Roland St. Jude
2009-10-14, 11:40 PM
Pity it's 9,000 gold, and 'minor magic item' caps at 7400 gold :P

http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-MagicItems-Personal-byCost.pdf has a list of every magic item ever, sorted by price.

Hrm, I had used a more intuitive definition of "minor" than that. 7400 gp? I may have to rethink things. :smallamused:

tyckspoon
2009-10-14, 11:46 PM
I think the helm of comprehend languages - I study international affairs, so the helm would let me avoid years of language classes...

Too bad I'll be trying to talk to people while wearing a freaking helmet =P

Maybe if its just a tiny metal skullcap I can cover it in felt and pass myself off as a Jew...

I think you can just about slide Comprehend Languages + Disguise Self under the 7,400GP mark if you take the Read Magic property out of the Helm. You'd probably still have to take the classes, tho; Comprehend Languages doesn't let you speak them.

mabriss lethe
2009-10-14, 11:48 PM
novice shadow hands. (shadow jaunt would be so much fun)

holywhippet
2009-10-14, 11:49 PM
Ooh, belt of gender change. Not for me personally of course, it's for .... a friend, yeah a friend.

Haven
2009-10-14, 11:57 PM
Hand of the Mage. I always thought telekinesis, even if it's just a small amount, would be awesome to have.

Golden-Esque
2009-10-14, 11:59 PM
Oi, Ring of Sustenance, no contest. No nutritional needs is nice, but I already pretty much eat what I want; but only 2 hours of sleep needed a night? Yes please!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Golden-Esque
2009-10-15, 12:00 AM

It'd go straight to your gut if you're male, to your thighs if you're female.

Vangor
2009-10-15, 12:19 AM
Hand of the Mage, and I can only imagine the profitable career initially for doing magic tricks, extending to late night talk show appearances, and potentially a Las Vegas act or working for the military to "train" psy-ops. For merely Mage Hand, this may seem a tad much, at least for the act in Las Vegas, but we are speaking of not merely the first demonstrable instance of telekinetics, but psychic ability at all, and supernatural phenomenon even. As a golden chain necklace this would appear rather mundane, too.

wykydtron
2009-10-15, 01:02 AM
I have to second the Boots of The Winterland, seeing as I live in Canada they would be so helpful. Either that or a Glammered suit of armor.:smallsmile:

tcrudisi
2009-10-15, 01:10 AM
There are three items which are just screaming at me:

Ring of Sustenance
Helm of Comprehend Languages
and Roland's choice, which obviously can't be done.

But priced at 3,000gp, the Thespian's Mask is an option. Sure, I'm limited to a specific race (hmm... Human?), age (21 works), and gender (Okay, I'd want one for both. /sigh But male first). Now, the seductions can continue perpetually! "Hey baby, who is your favorite actor?" might actually work. Okay, it wouldn't work... but then I'd come back to them as the young version of said actor, and then it would work.

JonestheSpy
2009-10-15, 01:22 AM
I'm down for the Hat of Disguise as well.

Secret Aaaaagent Man!

Circlet of Persuasion is a close second.

Oh, and award for sounds-good-but-sucks award - Candle of Truth. A lie detector that the equivalent of a 1st level commoner with zero bonuses can beat 35% of the time? Yeah, try convincing the judge that that testimony is admissable in court...

Temet Nosce
2009-10-15, 02:07 AM
Assuming we can create custom items?

Single use, use-activated item of Polymorph Any Object.

Dr Bwaa
2009-10-15, 02:10 AM
This thread is always fun. I want to bring Ring of Prestidigitation up again; that spell is honestly the most useful level-0 spell anyone ever created.
Need to do laundry? Poof!
Food is bland or gross? Poof!
Need magic tricks, like hovering something less than a pound? Poof!

...seriously, that spell would be godly IRL.

But Ring of Sustenance... I don't know if I could choose. :smalltongue:
I'll go with deuxhero and say both. RoS is 2500gp, and a Ring of Prestidigitation (at-will) costs 900gp+(cost of the plain ring) = 1000gp (let's say). We double the higher-cost piece and then add them together, giving us (2x2500gp) + 1000gp = 6000gp: well within our price range, giving us Sustenence and Prestidigitation at-will. I'll take one :smallbiggrin:

@above: AHH!!! Well done!

Longcat
2009-10-15, 03:30 AM
Hmm, let's see:
-Candle of Invocation (Judging from my RL personality, I can reasonably assume I'm Lawful Evil :P)
-Hat of Disguise (with a custom Predistigitation effect)
-Custom, single-use item that lets me cast Polymorph any Object twice in succession

Kurald Galain
2009-10-15, 04:37 AM
Eternal wand of Eagle's Splendor. How's that for making friends of people? :smallbiggrin:

(I suppose a wand of Charm Person would be somewhat less ethical...)

Killer Angel
2009-10-15, 05:16 AM
Boots of Striding and Springing
(DMG p250)
Increases the wearer’s land speed by +10’. +5 Competence bonus to Jump checks. Feet Move Faint
Longstrider 5,500

(Just because it'd be fun to move like that, so effortlessly).

...just for fun? why not for money and fame?
A few training and you're going to win at least 4-5 gold medals at the olympic games. Considering the following sponsors and all the fancy stuffs, probably it would be my choice... :smallcool:

Johel
2009-10-15, 05:42 AM
In that order :

Hat of disguise
Ring of Sustenance
Hand of the mage
Bag of tricks, tan

The hat ? Basically, you can change identity as you wish. Means that, if you screw up something, you can still start again somewhere else.

The ring basically double your lifespan, as you don't waste it sleeping, though you CAN if you wish too. It also helps to save loads of money, which can be allocated to your projects.

The hand is, for all purpose, a weaker "Ring of Telekinesis". Not yet Sylar but close enough to frighten people.

The bag ? Well, nothing say "bodyguard" like a pocket full of Large-sized beasts with a bad temper.

Chrono22
2009-10-15, 05:59 AM
Huh... something that gives me immortality (native outsider subtype). If that isn't possible with 7400 gp, then...
an item that casts reincarnate (as per the druid spell), to limit once per ten years (components to be provided for each casting).

I can see it being some kind of remote shrine... it would be amusing to be an elf or dwarf or bugbear in the real world.

Asheram
2009-10-15, 06:28 AM
Since it'd be the greatest spell to ever bring into the normal world to make money... and also since I'm kinda good...

Custom Ring of Remove Disease, use activated 1/day

deuxhero
2009-10-15, 09:20 AM
Wait. "Minor" has an official qualification of 7400? I'll need to rethink my answer .

X of disguise, substance, and Prestidigitation is only 6700 (assuming there is a body slot that covers it all).

Valaqil
2009-10-15, 09:38 AM
The three listed that sound best are the helm of languages, ring of sustenance, and lesser choker of eloquence. I see some serious potential for all three of those. I don't know if I could choose.

If we had a strict-gp limit, instead of the OP's _one_ minor item? I'd try to score as many decent ones as I could.

Shpadoinkle
2009-10-15, 09:46 AM
I'm fiftieth-ing the choices of either a Ring of Prestidigitation or a Ring of Sustenance.

Prestidigitation could let you do soooo many things. You'd never need to shower again, you could heat up or cool down your food without having to wait so it's always at the perfect temperature, make your food taste like pretty much whatever you want ("Why yes, my brussel sprouts DO taste like chocolate"), or change the color of your wardrobe whenever you want. One of the less savory things you could do with it is steal a key, reshape it to look like a slug, and sneak it out without anyone thinking twice (Tome and Blood says you can use Prestidigitation to reshape things weighing less than a pound, but they have to stay the same general size and type of material, so you can't, for example, turn a scrap of cloth into metal, but you could turn it into a piece of paper or a rose or something, so turning a modern sized key into a slug is within the rules.)

On the other hand, a Ring of Sustenance lets you save a lot of money on food and a lot of time on shopping for food, preparing it, eating it, and visiting the bathroom. Plus there's the fact that you only need 1/4th the normal amount of sleep, essentially extending your life by six hours a day, i.e. you "live" just over 90% of the day instead of about 2/3rds. That comes out to be ablout an extra three months per year.

It's a really tough decision... but I think I'd have to go with the Ring of Sustenance, personally.

Riffington
2009-10-15, 10:36 AM
So, when you sleep your metabolism slows and you don't age to the same extent as when you are active*.

Suppose that a Ring of Sustenance gave you an extra 6 hours a day, but you aged 20% faster than you otherwise would. How many of you would wear one?

*Not by RAW. In real life, we think.

Loxagn
2009-10-15, 10:55 AM
To use a 4e item, Hedge Wizard's gloves.
Grants Mage Hand and Prestidigitation as at-wills.
Oh, how I could abuse those...

mem0man
2009-10-15, 10:56 AM
RoS or a Bag of Holding 3

Not needing to sleep or eat or a room in a bag would be the most useful items to have ever.

Blackfang108
2009-10-15, 10:57 AM
So, when you sleep your metabolism slows and you don't age to the same extent as when you are active*.

Suppose that a Ring of Sustenance gave you an extra 6 hours a day, but you aged 20% faster than you otherwise would. How many of you would wear one?

*Not by RAW. In real life, we think.

As it wouldn't, because it's magic, I'd wear one.

I think the Ring of Disguise/eloquance/sustanance bundle works best. Except I'll take it as a Necklace. (Male type.)

woodenbandman
2009-10-15, 11:48 AM
How is Minor defined? Is it within a certain GP limit? Do dollars = GP?

I'd take either the Hat of Disguise or the Gray bag of tricks.

"watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat."

EDIT: I forgot the Marvelous Pigments. Also, if it qualifies, the Lyre of Building. I didn't forget Lyre of Building, I just thought it'd be too expensive.

EDIT2: Nobody thinking of the +2 stat items, huh? Headband of int+2 not appealing?

I'd also take a ring that gives me an intelligence penalty, just to see what it's like. And to use on my enemies.

Dr Bwaa
2009-10-15, 01:12 PM
How is Minor defined? Is it within a certain GP limit? Do dollars = GP?

It's being defined (in this thread, at least (I think)) as 7400gp or under; I'm not sure where that figure came from. And modern dollars absolutely should not equal gp; the only way would be to make an extensive comparison between a large range of goods and try to extrapolate from there (something I'm not going to do right now, but if you're luck I might do it later if I'm bored :smalltongue:) Incidentally, it's too bad (for purposes of this conversation only) that we're no longer on the gold standard, because that would make the conversion infinitely easier =P

industrious
2009-10-15, 01:49 PM
7400gp comes from the DMG; the minor item table cuts off there.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-15, 02:05 PM
It's being defined (in this thread, at least (I think)) as 7400gp or under; I'm not sure where that figure came from. And modern dollars absolutely should not equal gp; the only way would be to make an extensive comparison between a large range of goods and try to extrapolate from there (something I'm not going to do right now, but if you're luck I might do it later if I'm bored :smalltongue:) Incidentally, it's too bad (for purposes of this conversation only) that we're no longer on the gold standard, because that would make the conversion infinitely easier =P
I just convert the GP to pounds of gold, pounds of gold to troy ounces and find out the worth of a troy ounce of gold and multiply. Exact? Hells no! But it does give you a number that is mathematically derived.

lsfreak
2009-10-15, 03:02 PM
I just convert the GP to pounds of gold, pounds of gold to troy ounces and find out the worth of a troy ounce of gold and multiply. Exact? Hells no! But it does give you a number that is mathematically derived.

If I'm not mistaken, though, there's contradictions with gold pieces. There's 50 pieces to a pound, but base don their size as listed in the PHB there would be only about 16 to a pound. They're not pure gold, but mixed with something else.

Sliver
2009-10-15, 03:14 PM
Wouldn't it be better to compare what you can buy with the gold to what it costs now? Like swords or cows... Or chicken..

Ravens_cry
2009-10-15, 03:25 PM
If I'm not mistaken, though, there's contradictions with gold pieces. There's 50 pieces to a pound, but base don their size as listed in the PHB there would be only about 16 to a pound. They're not pure gold, but mixed with something else.
If my grade school calculations are correct, that would mean they are 32% gold. That just means we divide the 'final' answer from the previous calculation by 32%

BenTheJester
2009-10-15, 03:45 PM
Wow, except ring of Prestidigitation, most of your choices suck.

Why get something that can do the same thing as other objects that already exist.

Grats, you have boots that make you feel warm. I have a snow suit that does the same thing.

While yes sleeping 2h/night would be good, it wouldn't make having 2 jobs less exhausting. And yes, it'd be nice to save on food and everything.

But come on. Prestidigitation. Impress any girl. Get famous. Get rich. Die alone!

Who wouldn't want that :smalltongue:

Stegyre
2009-10-15, 03:47 PM
Huh... something that gives me immortality (native outsider subtype).
What? Where is it written that native outsiders are immortal??

Glass Mouse
2009-10-15, 04:07 PM

Well, if it stopped the effect of alcohol, wouldn't it be somewhat overpowered? Ring of Sustenance and Protection From Poison :smalltongue:

That said, I'd definitely pick it! Sleeping 2 hours only? Yessss! Though I'd probably end up Fatigued anyway ("I'll sleep tomorrow, juuust need to reply to this topic...").

kestrel404
2009-10-15, 04:21 PM
Bag of holding. It allows you to circumvent physics in innumerable fun and profitable ways.

It's a 35 lb bag (type 3), that can hold half a ton of stuff and STILL WEIGH 35 LBS! This could easily be used to generate massive amounts of saleable electricity, if nothing else. Not to mention what NASA would be willing to pay for it...

Rankar
2009-10-15, 04:26 PM
Ring of Sustenance/Ring of Presitdigitation combo. RoS would make physical activities a lot easier since you don't get tired in the same way without it and RoP because I'd abuse the heck out of it. Shoes weigh less than a pound, as do hamsters...

BobVosh
2009-10-15, 04:51 PM
I barely know what to do with my time now. I can't imagine 6 hours less sleep.

Surprised I'm the only one to go the route of an item with a bonus to skills.

Anyway a ring of +7 to profession:cook. Add to that a slotless prestidigitation. So 4900 for the +7, 1800 for the at will slotless presti, and 100 for the ring=6800. Now I'm the best cook with any amount of training. Add to that prestidigitation means I can cheat if I ever need to making that piece of dog poo taste like...well...I just cooked something awesome.

I would make a ton of money doing it, and have fun with stuff like iron chef.

Never having to eat again means nothing compared to being an awesome chef.

rezplz
2009-10-15, 08:53 PM
I think I would probably go for one of the +2 stat boosts - most likely CHA (better parties) or STR (been meaning to bulk up anyway), or maybe even WIS (I could use a bit more common sense, which would also give me a better work ethic...).

If not one of those, then ring of sustenence for sure. I loooove staying up late, but it hasn't been as fun now that I have to get up at 6 every morning for my job... but now that wouldn't be an issue!

And after reading Shalist's post... Ring of Sustenence wins hands down. No more needing to buy protein shakes!

ericgrau
2009-10-15, 08:56 PM
Marvelous pigments is my favorite item both for a PC or IRL, yet somehow I haven't managed to play a character who got them. Screw ring of sustenance, though I admit it's a close second. I can paint myself a meal in just 10 minutes, and the pigments last long enough to give a lifetime supply. Or I can make anything else I need on the fly. Imagine the saved trips to stores. Imagine the saved storage space, saved cleanup, etc. It's the one stop all-your-basic-needs-are-covered item.

industrious
2009-10-15, 08:57 PM
As perfect as the illusions are, they really are just illusions. Personally, I'm going to go with the Ring of Sustenance/Prestidigitation route everyone else says. Useful, if not "strike it rich" valuable.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-15, 09:04 PM
As perfect as the illusions are, they really are just illusions. Personally, I'm going to go with the Ring of Sustenance/Prestidigitation route everyone else says. Useful, if not "strike it rich" valuable.
I wonder if 'texturing food' comes under 'minor magic effects'? If so, I could make mashed potatoes that taste, chew, smell and look like steak.
Prestidigitation for the uber win!

Jack_Simth
2009-10-15, 09:16 PM
Let's see... checking the DMG....

Theoretically, if you go by the random generation tables, a Minor magic armor could run rediculously high - by hitting "special ability and roll again" repeatedly. A +3 Glammered Improved Slick Improved Silent Moves Improved Shadow Spell Resistance Light Fortification Studded Leather Armor (0 ACP, proficiency not needed)? Might be nice ... if you don't want to get noticed and want to be able to get away from most people. But then, I've never really wanted to be a parasite on society, and that's about all that's good for.

Weapons are similar; but there are a lot fewer useful special abilities available on the minor magic item tables - especially in a world with GUNS.

A potion you could only use once - that's ... pretty much out of the running.

There are no Minor rods (they start at Medium)

Rings... most of them aren't useful in a civilized society if you don't want to be a parasite on society. Sustenance is the best from that perspective. If you do want to be a parasite, you'll want Chameleon Power: +10 Hide, and Disguise Self whenever you want (do be careful with the Disguise Self, though - the illusion is DC 11, which means 50% of the people who touch you or examine you closely see through it).

Wondrous Items:
I'll ignore all of the "Use once" stuff.
Societal Parasite (Aids theft, trickery): is done better with the armor or ring for it, with the single exception of the Hand of the Mage.

Let's see... does the Healing Belt (Magic Item Compendium) fall under the heading of Minor?

... but yeah, from a practical perspective, Ring of Sustenance is about the most useful in modern society.

Thurbane
2009-10-15, 09:17 PM
Not sure if it qualifies as minor, but Ring of Sustenance, definitely. For someone who suffers from bouts of insomnia, having 2 hours sleep feel like 8 would be wonderful. :smallbiggrin:

Pyron
2009-10-15, 09:17 PM
(Tome and Blood says you can use Prestidigitation to reshape things weighing less than a pound, but they have to stay the same general size and type of material, so you can't, for example, turn a scrap of cloth into metal, but you could turn it into a piece of paper or a rose or something, so turning a modern sized key into a slug is within the rules.)

Or turning a one dollar bill into a fifty?

ericgrau
2009-10-15, 09:21 PM
Crude, fake looking objects only.

Pyron
2009-10-15, 09:37 PM
Crude, fake looking objects only.

That if you want to create a new object.

To transform... at least, according to Tome and Blood

Change: You transform one object of Fine size or smaller into another object of roughly the same size. The object can weigh no more than 8 ounces.

The change must be within the same kingdom (animal, vegetable, or mineral). ... you could change a gold coin into a ring.

I'm just saying a $1 bill and $50 bill are the same size and shape and kingdom.

industrious
2009-10-15, 10:02 PM
The trick would be in all the details. It isn't as simple as changing the One to a Fifty and changing the portrait from Washington to Grant. By the way, is anybody else PO'd that Jackson is on the 20, or is it just me?

Galileo
2009-10-15, 10:08 PM
I'd go with Bag of Holding. I hate having to play tetris with my backpack trying to stuff everything I need in there.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-15, 10:22 PM
The trick would be in all the details. It isn't as simple as changing the One to a Fifty and changing the portrait from Washington to Grant. By the way, is anybody else PO'd that Jackson is on the 20, or is it just me?
Then just have a 50 with you, two would be best so you can randomize the serial numbers, and a magnifying glass. And the denomination you're trying to transform of course.

Arbitrarity
2009-10-15, 10:25 PM
Yeah, ring of sustenance is ungodly useful. Throwing in prestidigitation would just be icing on the cake.