PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Damage by weight of falling objects

jiriku
2009-10-14, 10:31 PM
I have been told there is a table in Complete Warrior that shows the damage objects inflict by weight when they fall on you, but I cannot find it.

Can anyone supply me with the citation for this table, if indeed it does exist?

Kylarra
2009-10-14, 10:34 PM
They cite improvised weapons rules (CW 159). My particular take is that those rules are for people actively trying to hit you with things that they wield physically and that the falling object rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#fallingObjects) are what should be referenced for falling objects.

quiet1mi
2009-10-14, 10:47 PM
Is there a way to avoid being hit with these falling objects...

If not, I have thoughts of a falling Adamantine Warforged...

Kylarra
2009-10-14, 10:54 PM

There's a few schools of thought on that, one is that you have to make an attack roll of sorts (as referenced by falling brick traps and the like), the other is that you treat it like a siege engine (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#siegeEngines) hitting a square and they reflex for half.

jmbrown
2009-10-14, 11:11 PM

The way I handle falling objects:

If you're aiming an attack (like jumping off a cliff to fall on someone) it's an attack roll (flat BAB + dex, damage is based on your weight). If the object is one size category larger than the target (small counts as medium in this case) then it's a reflex save for half. Objects haphazardly falling (rockslide, anything that's not directly aimed at a specific square) it's treated like a siege engine.

jiriku
2009-10-14, 11:14 PM
So the damage is 1d6 per 10' fallen, capped at 20d6, plus 1d6 per 200 pounds of weight, uncapped.

So, for example, a 17,000 lb. lead spear dropped from a height of several hundred feet deals 105d6 damage...hmmm, I had expected more. Ok. Sigh, back to the drawing board.

Darrin
2009-10-14, 11:56 PM

By RAW? No, there is no Ref save to avoid a falling object.

See Sinfire Titan's 4500 lbs of Stupid (http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:F9RirLDoxIoJ:forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D1014017+4500+lbs+of+stupid&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us).

Curmudgeon
2009-10-15, 12:45 AM
Yes, there is a way to avoid falling objects; the rules for how this all works are on page 68 of Heroes of Battle.
Attack Rolls: The creature dropping an object makes a ranged attack roll against AC 5 to hit a square directly, applying any penalty for range increments and a –4 penalty for using an improvised weapon. In addition, the creature’s maneuverability may provide a penalty: –2 for average maneuverability, –4 for poor, or –6 for clumsy. An attack that misses hits a nearby square; see Missing with a Thrown Weapon, page 158 of the Player’s Handbook).
Damage: The damage dealt by a dropped object is based on the weight of the object and the distance the object falls, as noted on page 303 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide. A creature can avoid damage from the attack by making a DC 15 Reflex save.