PDA

View Full Version : I Live to Serve. [3.5 Creature]

criticalstriker
2009-10-15, 01:43 AM
Servus
Standing 4'9", a servus has the features of a chimp, two arms, two legs, a torso and a head positioned in an upright humanoid shape. However, their mouths have been sealed off and their eyes have been enlarged. The servus are created by wizards to be the perfect slaves. Loyal to the holder of the Hive Crest, the servus are intelligent and rational, but completely subservient, and are most often used as lab assistants.

Servus understand the language of their creator, but may speak no language, as they have no mouth's with which to speak.

Servus
Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 1d10 (5 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 12 (Dexterity +2) flat-footed 10, touch 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+10*
Attack: Claws +6 (1d4 +5)
Full Attack: Claws +6 (1d4 +5)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Servitude, Hive Mind, Hive Crest, Superior Grapple
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +0
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 7
Skills: Craft (Any one) +6, Spot +2, Listen +2
Feats: Skill Focus (Craft)
Environment: Any
Organization: Any
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: -
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -
*this includes the +4 Superior Grapple bonus

Servitude (Su):
All servus are in permanent servitude to the holder of their Hive Crest (see below) and may never disobey a direct order from the holder, no matter how inane or dangerous.

Hive Mind (Su):
A servus shares a hive mind with all other servus within 60 feet, and all servus within 60 feet of those (theoretically linking all servus within a base is entirely possible). If one servus becomes aware of something, all of them do, and no servus may be flanked unless all within the hive mind are (note that only servus who are attuned to the same hive crest have this feature).

Superior Grapple (Ex):
Created for work in a wizards lab, servus often find themselves having to grapple with a wizards creations, and this is taken into account when the servus are made. Servus take no attack of opportunities for attempting to initiate a grapple, and gain an additional +4 to all grapple rolls.

Hive Crest:
The hive crest is an amulet, ring, or other piece of personal jewelry that a wizard wears, to control all servus attuned to that hive crest. To attune a servus to a hive crest, the servus must be touched with the hive crest as it is grown in its fertilized pot. The owner of the hive crest has absolute control over all servus attuned to that hive crest. If the hive crest is ever destroyed, all servus attuned to it die instantly.

Zeta Kai
2009-10-15, 05:12 AM
1) What no alignment to argue about?

2) What's the purpose of such a creature? Why did you create it? Does it fill some plot niche in your campaign? Please explain, so that I may more properly judge it's fluff.

3) Mechanically, this creature is sound, IMO. Although I will say that it is far too strong for CR½; I'd estimate that this is on the strong side of CR1. Nasty claws, excellent grappling, & flanking resistance are all potent abilities. Compare to the baboon, badger, dire rat, any core race Warrior 1, eagle, formian worker, goblin, etc, etc, etc.

criticalstriker
2009-10-15, 07:12 AM
1) What no alignment to argue about?

2) What's the purpose of such a creature? Why did you create it? Does it fill some plot niche in your campaign? Please explain, so that I may more properly judge it's fluff.

3) Mechanically, this creature is sound, IMO. Although I will say that it is far too strong for CR½; I'd estimate that this is on the strong side of CR1. Nasty claws, excellent grappling, & flanking resistance are all potent abilities. Compare to the baboon, badger, dire rat, any core race Warrior 1, eagle, formian worker, goblin, etc, etc, etc.

1) That was a mistake, sorry about that. I can never seem to build a proper creature. Missing CR here, missing alignment there...

2: They're meant to be created by my character, Lord Becket, to work in his labs for him. Shuffle around base creatures for experimentation, that sort of thing. If you're wondering how, it's via this feat I found on the D&D wiki: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Create_Wondrous_Creature_%283.5e_Feat%29

3] Edited it. I was thinking the 1-hit kill possibility, and even likelihood, from the low HP and AC counter acted its claws and grapple, thus CR 1/2. I'm not very good at CR's, though. 3 years of hosting for power gamers extraordinaire has somewhat skewed my perspective on what is hard, and what isn't :P

P.S. Did you know your name reminds me of that song "Merry Christmas from Chiron Beta Prime" ?

Silverscale
2009-10-15, 11:03 AM
Generally I like it and looking at the creation feat, these things look like a pain to create or at least the first one would be.

EDIT: The feat talks about casting spells and doing experiments on preexisting creatures, you talk about growing them in vats....does the feat only apply to the first created?