PDA

View Full Version : Items you can't be without!

Edwin
2009-10-15, 10:10 AM
So, I'm participating in a game where I play a 6th level gestalt Ogre Mage/Sorcerer.

I've most of what I need pinned down, though I still need one particular thing; Items.

I've got 25000 gp to spend, and so I turn to you with this question; what the hell should I buy? Or create, possibly.

Godskook
2009-10-15, 10:50 AM
1.Edition? I'll assume 3.5 for the rest of the post, but that really helps.

2.25k? That's not on the WBL, but its closest to L8 funds. If that's accurate, awesome.

3.Any buying restrictions? Price/Books/Etc

---------

Barring anything from that, I normally recommend:

1.Healing belt, or several - 750gp - Cheap healing!
2.Handy Haversack - 2kgp - storage!
3.Ring of sustenance - 2.5kgp - no need to buy food, spend only 2 hours sleeping
4.Artificer's Monocle - 1.5kgp - Essentially free identify when you cast detect magic

That'll cost 6.75kgp(unless you buy additional healing belts)

AmberVael
2009-10-15, 10:55 AM
Anklet of Translocation. A tiny bit of teleportation can be really helpful- get away from grapples, bad terrain, cages... etc. From MiC.

Telonius
2009-10-15, 11:00 AM
Must-haves for any character, as soon as they can afford it:
Silk rope
Ring of Sustenance
3x5 terry cloth
10 foot pole
Everburning torch
Tanglefoot bags
Alchemist's Fire (and frost and spark, depending on what sources are available)
Universal Solvent
Primary stat-boosting items (Headband of Int for a Wizard, Cloak of Cha for a sorcerer, Belt of Giant Strength for a melee-type, etc)
Heward's Handy Haversack
Chalk
Reliable method of flight (Winged Boots, etc)
Hat of Disguise
Best armor available for your Dex level (excluding any that give spell failure if you're a caster)

For your Sorcerer, I'd recommend a few utility scrolls. Tongues, Darkvision, Knock, (animal)'s (ability), Nondetection, Phantom Steed, Gentle Repose, Water Breathing. Basically, stuff that can beat encounters or overcome obstacles if you have it, but doesn't come up quite often enough that you would use a precious spell slot on it.

Get a quarterstaff, a crossbow, and a bunch of bolts, and stick them in your haversack. Someday - it will happen - you will be totally out of spells. It's always good to have something as a last-ditch backup.

mem0man
2009-10-15, 11:02 AM
Standard stat booster +2 item
Your Ring of Protection of a flavor equal to your tastes
A haversack or Bag of Holding for storage
Ring of Sustenance
Can't go wrong with a Defending enchant on a quarterstaff of some sort.

Edwin
2009-10-15, 11:10 AM
Oh yeah, 3.5e, anything unless it's related to psionics or ToB.

And yes, 25k is 12k above WBL, but that's what we are getting.

In particular, any especially awesome items? Like, expensive ones with cool uses?

And perhaps one of you know of an items that'll make me appear, feel and sound like a human for at least 24 hours at a time?

IthilanorStPete
2009-10-15, 12:09 PM
With that much money, I'd go with a Belt of Battle. 12k, but extra actions are great.

Tavar
2009-10-15, 12:12 PM
And perhaps one of you know of an items that'll make me appear, feel and sound like a human for at least 24 hours at a time?
Do you need to be human, or just not obviously an orge mage. If the second, had of disguise, probably into a half giant or goliath.

Telonius
2009-10-15, 12:22 PM

Only seeing two ways of doing it in Core...

- Custom item of Persisted Alter Self. Alter Self to Half-Giant, which is a Medium Giant. Then put on a Hat of Disguise to make yourself look human.

- Polymorph Any Object.

Delwugor
2009-10-15, 12:29 PM
My two must have magic items are a Bag of Holding and a Magic Bedroll, not matter what character I play.

For a sorcerer I'd also get some form of magical protection such as a ring, a cloak of charisma and gloves of dexterity (Ogre - gloves ... there's an OJ joke in there ...).

Mando Knight
2009-10-15, 12:46 PM
- Custom item of Persisted Alter Self.

Command Word-activated 2nd-level spell Wondrous item: 7200 gp, and you'll have to renew the item's activation every 30 minutes. Use-Activated is 12000 gp with the same restriction, and I'm pretty sure that making it a Continuous magic item doesn't make much sense.

A Persisted Alter Self is an 8th-level spell, so a Command Word-activated item of it would be 216000 gp, which is prohibitively expensive.

esorscher
2009-10-15, 01:02 PM
Healer's Belt.

Telonius
2009-10-15, 01:03 PM
PAO, while permanent, also costs 3000 a pop for a scroll. Not saying it's a particularly cheap or good option, but (at least in Core) it's the only way I can figure the OP can do it without houserules.

(If I were DMing, I would absolutely allow the player to research a new "Reduce Self" spell, Sor/Wiz1, Transmutation, usable by non-humanoids, and let him put that into a ring or Wondrous Item).

Edwin
2009-10-15, 01:19 PM
Who said anything about core? I'm playing an Ogre Mage damnit, that's not very core! :smallsmile:

Also, good suggestions.

Draz74
2009-10-15, 01:39 PM
Who said anything about core? I'm playing an Ogre Mage damnit, that's not very core! :smallsmile:

Yes it is. The Ogre Mage (including, even, rules for using it as a PC race) are in the Monster Manual, which is a Core book.