PDA

View Full Version : Igor [Creature, Idea obviously stolen]

Eldan
2009-10-15, 01:47 PM
Well, I finally got the new Terry pratchett, and my mind started wandering...

The Igor

Priced throughout the world as assistants for all manners of wizards, artificers, alchemists and craftsmen, the igors are a curious people. Even though they themselves claim to be not at all special, few would deny that they are, in fact, quite strange: their bodies are often partially stitched together from parts "salvaged" from other humanoids, making them look rather "homely". They have a strange gift of always appearing out of doorways or from behind furniture when called, which they claim is merely preparedness. And, finally, they are very gifted healer, able to safe mortally wounded men with their needle and thread.

Igors posess the following racial traits:

+2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Cha. Igors have quick minds and fingers, but others are rarely at ease around them.
Size and Type: Medium Living Construct
An Igor's base land speed is 30 ft.
Racial Skills: Igors have a +4 racial bonus on all heal, craft and move silently checks.
Special Attacks:
Yeth, Mathter? (sp): Once a day, an Igor can move up to 50 feet, as by the spell dimension door, but only to a location which is not directly observed by any creature at the time.
Stitching: (ex) Once per day, an Igor can repair itself an amount of damage equal to twice it's hit dice. This ability requires one minute of undisturbed work. Optionally, the igor can use the corpse of any humanoid, monstrous humanoid, fey, giant or native outsider of small to large size in the process, which doubles the amount of damage healed and enables the igor to restore any lost limbs as long as the corpse had these limbs.
Assistant: Whenever an Igor uses the aid another action to help someone with a craft or heal check, the bonus provided by a successful action is increased to +4.
Special Qualities: Light Forticifaction, electricity resistance 5.
Favored Class: Artificer
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Giant, Goblin, Dwarven, Sylvan
LA: +1

So, I'm not entirely sure on the balance, but do you people think that LA+1 is okay, or should it be +2, perhaps with some more boni added?

Debihuman
2009-10-15, 03:22 PM
I think that Igors should be living constructs. They may have to be created initially, but the Living (Subtype) means that they don't have to be programmed like other constructs. Free-willed assistants may still be extremely loyal to their masters.

Debby

Ravens_cry
2009-10-15, 03:31 PM
Heh, my Toon Spell Painted Door (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6611594&highlight=Toon#post6611594) was similar to your supernatural ability, Yesh, Mashter?.
Maybe add as a requirement player must talk in lisp.:smalltongue:

Eldan
2009-10-15, 04:09 PM
I think that Igors should be living constructs. They may have to be created initially, but the Living (Subtype) means that they don't have to be programmed like other constructs. Free-willed assistants may still be extremely loyal to their masters.

Debby

They are living constructs, actually. :smalltongue:
See "size and type".

Mordokai
2009-10-15, 04:13 PM
The first thing that came to my mind when seeing the title was this.

http://www.opusgames.com/dorktower/pics/igor3.jpg

As it is, I'm quite glad to be wrong :smallbiggrin:

Interesting work you have here :smallsmile:

Lappy9000
2009-10-15, 04:30 PM
I quite like it :smallbiggrin:

Everything looks good for a +1 LA. Don't change a thing :smallwink:

sigurd
2009-10-15, 04:38 PM
I like it. I think I'd nerf the dimension door a little.

"The Igor arrives at his destination disoriented and may take no further action until the following round." or some such.

Sigurd

hamishspence
2009-10-15, 04:50 PM
Very nice.

But I'd phrase it Yeth, marthter? :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2009-10-15, 04:54 PM
Right. I did that from memory. seems I got it wrong :smallbiggrin:

I like it. I think I'd nerf the dimension door a little.

"The Igor arrives at his destination disoriented and may take no further action until the following round." or some such.

Sigurd

I'm not sure if it's actually all that powerful... also, making them disoriented kinda ruins the effect of stepping out from behind a curtain a step behind you after you called.
Maybe a full round to activate it, instead?

hamishspence
2009-10-15, 04:56 PM
Its a very nice concept though.

So far, the closest thing WoTC has come to Igor is the Hooded Pupil in Libris Mortis- and it just isn't quite the same as a Discworld Igor.

Eldan
2009-10-15, 04:58 PM
I still think I should include something like a "Mob sense", which warns them a few hours before the torch wielding mob shows up. But that's so situational and complicated to phrase correctly, I think I'll just forget it.

hamishspence
2009-10-15, 05:16 PM
yes- call it a little note to pass to the DM:

"Give Igor a few moments warning before the mob shows up"

I wouldn't mind seeing more Discworld things- monsters, races in their Discworld incarnation (like elves and trolls) spells, etc.

There is already GURPS Discworld- I'd like to see D20 Discworld.

Eldan
2009-10-15, 05:42 PM
Hmm. Well, Trolls would be easy: large giants, huge strenght, good natural armor, some damage reduction, low intelligence and charisma and a bonus to both when it's really cold.

Discworld elves could be interesting, though... Let's say they are fey, with one or two racial hit dice, a permanent charm person aura, damage reduction/cold iron and a confusion effect when touched by it (to represent that they lose their sense of orientation).

Ravens_cry
2009-10-15, 10:31 PM
Hmm. Well, Trolls would be easy: large giants, huge strenght, good natural armor, some damage reduction, low intelligence and charisma and a bonus to both when it's really cold.

Make it a scaling one, (the colder it is, the higher the bonus) and I would say you got it just right.

JeenLeen
2009-10-16, 10:56 AM
Should Assistant be labeled [Ex]?

Also, with the Dimension Door ability, it's unclear whether the Igor
1) knows where a unobserved spot is and teleports to it
2) selects a 'close to Master' range or a specific spot, and gets shunted (taking damage?) to the closest unobserved spot if that spot was observed
or
3) selects a spot, but the teleport fails if the spot is observed

Something to clarify in the text, perhaps.