PDA

View Full Version : New to Eberron, need character idea help.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-15, 03:08 PM
I've decided I'm going to play a very martial character..but I don't know what I'm going to do with it either.

The group so far has

- Elven sorcerer (blaster more than likely.)
- Pirate (custom class...basically Ranger/Rogue. less sneak attack but more tracky and fighting powers. Also an acrobat)
- Changling Rogue/ beguiler/ or wizard. he's not sure. He liked Artificer too...but he hasn't decided.

My two choices I liked... was a Warforged Fighter or a Shifter Barbarian/fighter.

Both have backgrounds, the shifter was either going to be exiled from the tribe she was in for killing the shaman who had married the girl he loved. Or the shifter was adopted by a human family who found him on the side of the road. Raised in one of a few places... Good home, bad society. Exiles self to go adventuring.

Warforge who was one of the "first ones". Literally.. the 7th Warforge ever made. He has a big and intricate 7 on his shoulder. Searching for a purpose after the war.

We're starting level one. The DM is changing a bit of the Crafting skill stuff... giving us an xp pool to craft items (similar to Artificer. artificer will get more in the pool.) He wants craft to be heavy.

----
What i need. : Builds? Good builds but not cheese. Anything but psionics are accepted I think. I'm not sure I'll take adamantine body. I'm trying to keep 30 ft movement speed. Theres no cleric or divine caster =( but we'll survive.

Need some good builds including skills, classes, PrCs, feats, weapons. etc. All suggestions welcome.

Not sure how I want to build him. the point buy is from invisible castle (36 point buy)

AtwasAwamps
2009-10-15, 03:43 PM
I secretly dream of a warforged dual-wielding dwarven axe bucklers, securely bolted to his arms.

Keld Denar
2009-10-15, 03:55 PM
Crusader is a pretty awesome class for 'forged. Their inherant defenses compliment Crusader's very well, and some of the strikes are pretty awesome for giving you some bonus damage. Also, since Devoted Spirit's healing strikes are not "Conjouration (healing)" effects, they are not halfed when applied to a Crusader. This gives you a pretty effective form of self healing.

I built one for a game recently named "Slam" who used a Battlefist (ECS) as his primary weapon. Not the greatest weapon in the world, but being immune to disarm and always having a weapon available is kinda fun. The awesomeness of being a Crusader makes up for a slightly sub-par weapon selection.

chiasaur11
2009-10-15, 03:59 PM
Wait.

Warforged Seven, one of the oldest (and presumably toughest, given he's still alive) warforges around...

Is level one?

It doesn't really make sense. I'd go with the shifter, as awesome as Warforged are.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-15, 04:05 PM
Crusader is a pretty awesome class for 'forged. Their inherant defenses compliment Crusader's very well, and some of the strikes are pretty awesome for giving you some bonus damage. Also, since Devoted Spirit's healing strikes are not "Conjouration (healing)" effects, they are not halfed when applied to a Crusader. This gives you a pretty effective form of self healing.

I built one for a game recently named "Slam" who used a Battlefist (ECS) as his primary weapon. Not the greatest weapon in the world, but being immune to disarm and always having a weapon available is kinda fun. The awesomeness of being a Crusader makes up for a slightly sub-par weapon selection.

Where do I find said class or PrC?

Wait.

Warforged Seven, one of the oldest (and presumably toughest, given he's still alive) warforges around...

Is level one?

It doesn't really make sense. I'd go with the shifter, as awesome as Warforged are.

I thought about this too. Mind you the first sentient warforge was made 33 years ago. (campaign wise.)

He fought in the first battle, but was hit hard and left inert. Hidden and inert for 31 years, by chance... an artificer re-awakens by "repair light damage" infusion. Warforge 7 followed him for a month when the artificer was soon killed by old age / sickness. Left without a purpose, warforge 7 walks on finding a reason to survive and a purpose onto the world.

Samb
2009-10-15, 05:00 PM
Warforged fighters are always decent but......still just a fighter.

For warforged I'd say shaper if you use psionics. You get repair which is great for living constructs, and you are a psion. Can't go wrong with psions, especially ones with astral construct and minor creation.

Shifter barb is decent, although the lack of feats is kind of a pain.

For Eberron I love using dragonmarks for purely RP uses and it really throws you into the culture of eberron. Its also a not too shabby way of making up for any deficiencies you have in your party.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-15, 05:06 PM
Shifters and Warforged make excellent Totemists. Warforged make wonderful Crusaders. Or Warblades for that matter. Or Swordsages (though house rules may be needed).

Keld Denar
2009-10-15, 05:08 PM
Crusader is in the book Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords.

Also known as "Complete Melee Fix", and home of the Crusader, Warblade, and Swordsage, new base classes that use "blade magic", a scaling system of abilities that make melee combat more interesting and diverse than "I hit it again".

Its possibly one of the most polarizing books in the 3.5 community, most either love it or hate it. I dearly hope that you and your DM are in the former group. It really is a TON of fun to play, and as I stated, synergizes AMAZINGLY well with warforged's racials, especially if you nab Adamantine Body at 1st level.

Also fun, if you can get Homebrew approved, is this PrC by the playground's own amazing Krimm Blackleaf. The Warforged Armorlord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99062) is incredibly awesome!

EndlessWrath
2009-10-15, 06:39 PM
Warforged fighters are always decent but......still just a fighter.

For warforged I'd say shaper if you use psionics. You get repair which is great for living constructs, and you are a psion. Can't go wrong with psions, especially ones with astral construct and minor creation.

Shifter barb is decent, although the lack of feats is kind of a pain.

For Eberron I love using dragonmarks for purely RP uses and it really throws you into the culture of eberron. Its also a not too shabby way of making up for any deficiencies you have in your party.

Fighter / something. Fighter for the feats is always fun but I would do something more than that.

Psionics are not allowed, as I said before.

Shifter Fighter 2, barb X is always fine. I'll spend most of my fighter feats with what I need fighting wise and the two feats at 1st and 3rd into shifter feats.

I looked at dragonmarks..but I'm just not really into it. I might get my buddy to look more into them.

Shifters and Warforged make excellent Totemists. Warforged make wonderful Crusaders. Or Warblades for that matter. Or Swordsages (though house rules may be needed).

Totemists? Where is that? House rules are pretty loose except for cheese stuff.

Crusader is in the book Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords.

Also known as "Complete Melee Fix", and home of the Crusader, Warblade, and Swordsage, new base classes that use "blade magic", a scaling system of abilities that make melee combat more interesting and diverse than "I hit it again".

Its possibly one of the most polarizing books in the 3.5 community, most either love it or hate it. I dearly hope that you and your DM are in the former group. It really is a TON of fun to play, and as I stated, synergizes AMAZINGLY well with warforged's racials, especially if you nab Adamantine Body at 1st level.

Also fun, if you can get Homebrew approved, is this PrC by the playground's own amazing Krimm Blackleaf. The Warforged Armorlord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99062) is incredibly awesome!

I'll definitely take a look at Tomb of Battle. Thanks! Feat/skill/build suggestions?

mabriss lethe
2009-10-15, 06:39 PM
The party lineup looks like it needs some sort of medical help even if you won't be playing a cleric, maybe think about some source of healing for the party, even if it's minor. (healing devotion isn't a terrible choice for fast healing that scales by level 1/day for 1 minute not an optimal choice, but your party needs some healin')

If you wind up playing one of the dragonmarked races.., I know I've always had more fun playing aberrant d-marked characters. With the feats in the dragonmarked book, it's not terribly shabby either.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-15, 06:43 PM
I'm more partial to warforged than shifters. Shifters just seem sort of feat starved, and their shifting isn't all that great, especially at low levels.

There's the warforged fighter racial substitution levels in Races of Eberron, although truth be told, you might be better off with normal fighter levels. The warforged racial substituion has 1d12 hit die, though. They also get bonuses to initiative, saves against fear, a bonus warforged feat, and a sort of weapon specialization for their natural weapons or attached warforged components, but you sacrifice your bonus fighter feats for three levels in exchange.

With the right build, a warforged artificer can be a potent melee threat. There's warforged artificer racial substitution levels as well. A meleeficer wants to focus on self-buffs and personal weapon enhancements. It's fun to turn your sword / slam / whatever into a Bane weapon of whatever it is you happen to be fighting.

Also, depending on where you want to take him, the Warforged Juggernaut PRC is pretty solid, with lots of good immunities bestowed. It's nowhere near as powerful or useful, but I also love the Reforged PRC from RoE. It's got great flavor and RP potential.

Zaydos
2009-10-15, 06:54 PM
Totemist is from Magic of Incarnum. The book looks neat but I've only ran anything with it once (and then it was limited to monsters). Don't really know how it plays.

I'd say crusader looks nice for warforged if you get it allowed. But I'm not familiar with Eberron and it's PRCs so I can't really be much help.