PDA

View Full Version : 4E Shaman Advice needed

Shardan
2009-10-15, 03:25 PM
I was a really huge fan of the flavor of Shaman so I made one for joining a campaign with some friends. (my first foray into 4e by the way)

Unfortunately, i am discovering that between feats and magic item selection, shaman has been given the short end of the stick in a really big way. I'm lvl 12 (one encounter from lvl 13) and need some advice for items and feats.

I am a dwarven shaman.
13 str, 21 con, 13 dex, 10 int, 21 wis, 9 cha.

A few of my feats are wanting in power level. I need advice on feats aside from the shaman class feats (and implement expertise) that would actually be useful.
I have some good items but i need to choose a lvl 15 magic item for our latest haul, but for that lvl there is jack that is really useful for shaman class.

I already have a +3 totem, +3 armor and +3 neck piece. and lvl 15 isn't enough to bump any of them to a +4. Please help :(

Draz74
2009-10-15, 04:47 PM
... sabotage the gaming group until Primal Power comes out? :smallwink:

Mando Knight
2009-10-15, 04:51 PM
Look at the other slots, like head, ring, hand, arm, etc. Rings in particular, since they aren't available until Paragon and tend to have nice bonuses.

its_all_ogre
2009-10-15, 05:05 PM
i'm playing one now but only level 6 so i'll try.
restful healing. for a shaman this is a MUST HAVE!
shared healing spirit OR the bonus to NADs feat, only one is really useful
have you multi-classed? if not druid is great, get a melee attack once per encounter which is handy
melee training could be useful depending on party composition.

what is the party composition and what are your current feats?
party comp means everything in 4e so the above is quite important

rayne_dragon
2009-10-15, 05:22 PM
From my experience with the class (and I've only got to level 7) I find that my favourite aspect of the shaman is the ability to be good at any skill, so I've been playing that up. Also anything that helps heal the party is really good for either items or powers. But if you feel stuck you might want to try multiclassing (I just picked up Rebuke Undead recently and have enjoyed it immensely).

As for items, the rings are pretty good. It wouldn't be a bad idea to pick one up. Or anything for a slot you're not using yet.

nightwyrm
2009-10-15, 06:20 PM
You may want to take a look at adventurer's vault 2. It got some decent shaman gear in there.

Shardan
2009-10-15, 06:40 PM
The party is 2 defenders (paladin and sword mage) 2 strikers (rogue and warlock) laser cleric and me (we may have warlock going away for an avenger instead)

I can find hardly anything that really affects my powers. Especially for lvl 15. I don't want to trade down for things that are just a little ok for my char. I'm eyeing a set of boots. 2 properties attack penalty for run is -2 and run is spd+6 instead of +2. I've been having problems getting into place on my short little dwarf legs. I also have lvl 13 mace of healing and lower level other items, but I really don't want to trade down. My biggest problem is except for my totem nothing in the books support my Shamans abilities. there are channel divinity items, pact items, etc. druid even has beast form items.

I may talk my dm into letting me change my mind post AV2 (i hope)