PDA

View Full Version : help with an all-powerful evil (4.0)

thefinalbattle
2009-10-15, 03:57 PM
so i was playing a game online, about a giant ball of goo that eats everything it touches, and it got me thinking"man this would make a good plot device", so since i have no creativity, i turn to you for help. would this thing make a good plot device, and if so how? what should i use to represent it? (note, it was green in game but it could be any color)

hamishspence
2009-10-15, 04:00 PM
in 3.5, the Elder Evil Shothragot (Lords of Madness) was "a mountain of goo that travels from world to world, eating everything on them"

It didn't have stats though.

thefinalbattle
2009-10-15, 04:01 PM
well, do you think you could make it 4.0 stats?

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-15, 04:02 PM
Kills 1d6 PCs per turn.

It's an Elder Evil. It doesn't need any other stats.

thefinalbattle
2009-10-15, 04:03 PM
that could result in a one-round TPK! and what miniature would it use?

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-15, 04:04 PM
Take everything in the fridge. Pour it on the mat. That's your miniature right there.

Flickerdart
2009-10-15, 04:05 PM
All of them, glued together Katamari-style.

thefinalbattle
2009-10-15, 04:05 PM
the need of a plot device is still there, as is the TPK.

hamishspence
2009-10-15, 04:11 PM
most common plot device in D&D is "Sealed Evil in a Can"

(it's an avatar of some gooey deity/demon lord, it's been sealed for millenia, till the heroes accidentally release it)

One of the earliest Forgotten Realms novels- Curse of the Azure Bonds- is built on this.

in 4.0- take one of the demon lords from MM, MM2, etc, adjust its statblock to fit your concept, give it gooey powers from appropriate ooze monsters, scaled up.

MM2 has a few oozes and ooze demons which you could draw inspiration from.

For a model- cut a square shape of card- 3 or 4 squares (on the battlemat) in diameter (inches, if you don't use a mat) , depending on if you want a Huge or Gargantuan critter- take a big hunk of green plasticine, and shape to your preference. Place on card.

FoE
2009-10-15, 04:17 PM
There is Turaglas. A demon spawned of the Abyss itself, unlike the other Demon Princes who are corrupted Primordials, Turaglas is a colossal, amorphous mass of flesh and fangs that exists only to consume. The other Demon Princes hated and feared it so much they actually set aside their differences in order to attack it. They only managed to imprison it.

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drigg/2009june

I have the PDF, but I'm not sure if I can post his stats without getting into legal issues.

He can't really be represented as a miniature, since he can technically grow to any size and engulf the battlefield.

hamishspence
2009-10-15, 04:19 PM
apart from Dagon of course- MM2- when the first corrupted Primordials entered the Abyss, they found him already waiting.

thefinalbattle
2009-10-15, 04:23 PM
well i am not a subscriber, so i can't get the pdf.

as for his representation, i'm not sure WOTC will make any flesh tiles or mouth ones, but i will definately buy them if they do. also, is it capable of one-round TPKs of a party of 5?

FoE
2009-10-15, 04:44 PM

You could just get a one-month subscription. That's what I did, and then I downloaded a crapload of articles.

When I actually get a group together again, I'll spring for the Character Builder.

also, is it capable of one-round TPKs of a party of 5?

Well, it's a Level 30 Solo. Take that for what you will.

Mando Knight
2009-10-15, 05:03 PM

as for his representation, i'm not sure WOTC will make any flesh tiles or mouth ones, but i will definately buy them if they do. also, is it capable of one-round TPKs of a party of 5?

It's not capable of 1-round TPKs when it's an "appropriate encounter," but no one said you can't spring it on a bunch of level 20s... (note that it still won't 1-round them, thanks to how PC HP scales. However, its stats and abilities will still let it blast them away while remaining relatively unharmed.) It's perfect for an actual goo-death-thing.

On the other hand, if you don't want them to be able to beat it, just run the monster as an invincible ooze that kills any players adjacent to it at the beginning of its turn. If a creature has stats, then that means you should be able to both fight and defeat it at some point. If you don't want either to be possible, then don't give it actual stats.