PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of War II: The Last Stand

JMobius
2009-10-15, 04:25 PM
I've been playing this since last night, got all three heroes up to about level 5. So far, this has been a pretty entertaining little mini-game, though it seems like there isn't going to be much to do once you can figure out how to beat all the waves and max all the characters.

Any one else enjoying it?

SuperMuldoon
2009-10-16, 08:33 AM
Yeah I was playing last night for a while. It in incredibly fun, got my Space Marine up to level 7 before I went to sleep. Got stuck on wave 9 and 10 (beat wave 9 only once, and then got stomped by 10). Gonna probably give some of the other characters a whirl, but I do agree that once you figure out how to defeat all the waves I'm afraid it will lose its fun, hopefully they keep expanding it with new heroes, new waves and anything else new. I don't think it would be that hard to add onto this game.

I watched the release video interview thing for it on the main site, and the guy said that there was a race in used as one of the enemies that hasn't been seen in DoW yet...anybody seen it yet? I wonder what it is...

Brother Oni
2009-10-16, 09:05 AM
Squats. :smallbiggrin:

Unless they mean some units that weren't used of a previously featured race, like Genestealers or something.

Joran
2009-10-16, 10:21 AM
Squats. :smallbiggrin:

Unless they mean some units that weren't used of a previously featured race, like Genestealers or something.

Chaos make an appearance on Wave 20.

You have to be past level 5 to be able to consistently get past Wave 9-10; level 5 is when the Farseer gets Eldritch Storm, which wipes away those waves of enemies nicely.

I like playing the Mekboy; depending on gear loadout, he can be a tank, a ranged DPS, or a support character, which is fun.

But yeah, once we master it and beat Wave 20, I doubt it'll be as much fun. There's no variation.

SuperMuldoon
2009-10-16, 10:52 AM
If they can just tweak it so that each wave is random while maintaining the scaling difficulty, it would add a lot more replay value. I don't think it would be that hard for them to do, maybe they will do it once the expansion comes out...and this could be some sort of little test run for this game? Might be a preview for a more fleshed out mode coming with the expansion *fingers crossed*

JMobius
2009-10-16, 01:19 PM
Farseer: level 9
Mekboy: level 8
Captain: level 7

Max wave is 15, though usually I'll bite it around 10.

Of the three, I'd have to say the captain has been the least interesting for me to play (surprising since I play SM normally). Mek is probably the most fun; the teleporting is awesome.

Bouregard
2009-10-17, 09:26 AM
Me and a friend are working on wave 19 now. It's really fun but the first 11waves are kind of depressing boring. I wish for the good old "Send-next-wave" -button to kill wave 1-6 in a single mopup

I play as a Mek and don't regret! Porting is awesome, only weapons are limited, everything except the machinegun and the knive are kinda useless.
Who the **** thinks a 2sec setup time is a good idea? 2secs are enough to get hit by much funny stuff.

My favourite build: The rock-a-feller
Mek with the knive and classical meleeitems and a commanditem to call in ROCKS... yeah every ten seconds a new rock is kinda funny.... however it definitly is not funny in wave 16...

Friend plays as a SM like everybody... plasrifle+ dreadnaught droppod seems to be the way to go as the chainsaw is just not funny in wave 16.

SuperMuldoon
2009-10-17, 12:25 PM
I'm mainly playing as space marine, got him up to level 13. I like to go with the Chainsword/Plasma Pistol - Artificer Armor - Jump Pack/Rez/ - health regen aura, but this makes it so wave 16 is insane. I was playing with another SM loaded out similar to me, and 2 rezzes make it impossible. We were able to do it when he dropped his rez for something else. Got up to wave 18. I hear wave 20 is impossible!

Bouregard
2009-10-17, 03:35 PM
Ok wave 19 beats for us. Everything before is pretty much easy- challenging depending on the 3rd teammember but we simply get our ass handed to us from those blasted autocannon armed dreads. Also I strongly suspect that they spawn a bit to much of them... we killed 5 and bang they spawn again... bug? Or do we have to kill the commander to make it stop... or will it stop with enough killing? Biggest problems is that pretty much any cover on the map is blown to bits at that point and those plasguns and autocannons are hard to kite...

Sindriss
2009-10-18, 04:15 PM
nah, 19 is good but challenging. There are 8 dreads, so you still need to kill some :) They just don't all spawn at the same time. Just for clarification, I been to 20 and pretty close to beating it as well. Just need a bit better execution of our strategy :)

I have a lvl 17 SM btw.

MrPig
2009-10-18, 06:44 PM
But yeah, once we master it and beat Wave 20, I doubt it'll be as much fun. There's no variation.

Keep in mind, Relic stated that if the community likes TLS then they will add more content to it. So far, the community is liking it very much and I imagine new maps and other stuff is soon to follow.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-10-18, 10:52 PM
Just give it another week or two, and people will eventually start complaining about anything they can get think of. Remember 1.4? For a while it was considered the perfect way to play the game, but look what the community thought of it right before 1.8 came out.

On a side note, why did they skip so many numbers? 1.4 and 1.5 are the same, and 1.6 had no changes, not to mention the fact that 1.7 never even came.

Cheesegear
2009-10-19, 01:52 AM
Couple of things, I've had my characters reset to level 1 twice now.

And, contrary to what the game tells you; Level does in fact, equal skill. It means that you've played the game more than once. You know what the next wave has in it. You know what to do and you know how to do it.

So, there's me, Level 15 Farseer (with Teleport and Ward...Without these two, a Farseer is useless past Wave 8. A good or bad Farseer will make or break your Stand), and two level 6 Space Marines.
"Hey guys...You guys ever been past Wave 9? No? So you have no clue? Great."

My thoughts on the Farseer; Really, really, really important. Without Group Teleport spam it's hard to beat the later waves. A Farseer who spams Eldritch Bolt has no clue what he's doing except trying to rack up kills (which is pointless since XP is shared). And, EB doesn't work that well past Wave 8. Tell your 'seer to swap to the Fleet pistol.

Eldritch Storm is only good if your party knows what the Hell it's doing. ES hurts your own party. So make sure they don't do anything stupid like stand around in it. I prefer Veil of Tears. And Confuse spam.
...Group Teleport can teleport corpses. Port the other side of the map. Revive. Wait for the enemy to come to you. Port to the other side of the map. Repeat.

The Mek exists to give the Farseer drinks. :smallwink: And to provide long-range support whilst standing right next to the Farseer. The Space Marine exists to have his healing aura on at all times and stand next to the Farseer, and kill anything that the Mek can't kill with range.

Three things vital to survival (at least for me);
Farseer; Group Teleport and Confuse. Everything else is optional. Never take Eldritch Bolt. It's a waste of a slot. And in later waves is a waste of energy. Ward is to keep your friends from dying. Fortune doesn't cut it. And Conceal has nothing on Group Teleport.
Mek; Whatever that drink is that restores energy. Give them to the Farseer. Repeatedly. Have a long range weapon (not the Burna), and auto attack anything that comes in range. Telyporta Pack just in case you strayed from the Farseer and he teleported to the other side of the map without you. :smallwink:
Space Marine; Healing Aura.
...I'm yet to see a Space Marine played well. I've never played a Space Marine yet since they just look...Bad at what they do.

They seem to always Jump Pack out on their own. Get surrounded by enemies, and then wonders why we can't revive him...

Since yesterday, I've been having less fun. As my characters were - for no apparent reason - reset to Level 1.

Once you 'get good' Waves 1-7 can be AFKd by two party members. There needs to be some way you can skip them.

Sindriss
2009-10-19, 04:45 AM
That is just because you haven't seen my SM :)

Healing aura is nice, but since you are the tank, I think the Dread is almost vital for attracting attention along with you. A SM with lifesteal aura, the chainsaw, the 208 armor and a dread can tank anything when farseer gives shield and are pretty durable when that is on cd. Also you should take the aoe shout that causes fear just for emergencies.

One thing to note, never pick the armor that makes you unknockable along with these items as it makes you practically impossible to kill on lvl 16.

If you are the only SM then you will probably want to take the instant rez instead of maybe the aoe taunt.

Cheesegear
2009-10-19, 05:04 AM
That is just because you haven't seen my SM :)

Confirmed. Even though my Farseer is toting around at Level 16, I never seem to get paired with any Space Marine over level 8. And they have no clue what Wave 10 looks like because they've never beaten W9.

I swear there's a conspiricy against me to never get past W16.

Also you should take the aoe shout that causes fear just for emergencies.

I've found that that's incredibly annoying. Mostly because my party has no idea what's going on.
SM gets swamped by Banshees (or something). I ward him up (because I know that Eldritch Storm hurts my own team), start revving my ES on his location...And then he fears like an idiot. And my ES is wasted.
These days I just use Veil of Tears. Since it's okay if my team mates aren't that great.

If you are the only SM then you will probably want to take the instant rez instead of maybe the aoe taunt.

Five thousand times; YES!

SuperMuldoon
2009-10-19, 08:12 AM
Well, I've gotten my SM up to level 17 now and my build has changed. I'm currently running around with the plasma rifle and jump pack - other stuff is subject to change depending but I most often take the fear and the +75 hp seal. I also take the dread instead of the healing aura, this is helpful because I can jump out of trouble and have the dread tank while I shoot dudes from afar. I can get up to wave 18 consistently with various parties, but can't beat it. Think I'm going to have to start taking the rez again (stopped taking it because once I was paired with another healing tank SM who also had rez...wave 16 was impossible).

Joran
2009-10-19, 09:58 AM
Mek; Whatever that drink is that restores energy. Give them to the Farseer. Repeatedly. Have a long range weapon (not the Burna), and auto attack anything that comes in range. Telyporta Pack just in case you strayed from the Farseer and he teleported to the other side of the map without you.

Well, it depends on your allies as well. My farseer had a similar build, so I was battery packing him the entire game. However, I had another shooty Mekboy, so I went with a tank build with 'Eavy Armor, the knife that regains energy, and MegaRumblah and basically tried to keep swarms off of my Farseer.

Thanks to some pretty inspired play from the shooty Mekboy, which saved a wipe in Wave 17, we managed to get to Wave 19.

JMobius
2009-10-19, 06:49 PM
Got to wave 20 last night, as one of two SM Captains, along with a Farseer. Only really lasted remotely that long because the FS was damn good, and made excellent use of group teleport.

Just a bit of advice: Please, for the love of god, all you SM out there, drop the regen tank builds. It makes level 16 a tedious nightmare. I've been lucky enough to avoid it so far, but what I've heard is that having the revive ability makes it even worse.

Incidently, I don't know how level 20 is beatable. Clearly it is, its been done, but its such a massive step up from anything else that I don't know how it is even possible...

Joran
2009-10-21, 09:21 AM
Just a bit of advice: Please, for the love of god, all you SM out there, drop the regen tank builds. It makes level 16 a tedious nightmare. I've been lucky enough to avoid it so far, but what I've heard is that having the revive ability makes it even worse.

Anything with knockdown is a pain in the butt. Yesterday, I played with a Mekboy with the rocket launcher and got relentlessly nailed to the ground. I'm equipping sturdy bitz next time =P

I've been to Wave 16 a couple times, but this is the first time we absolutely failed to kill our doppelgangers. That and my graphics card overheated from the sheer awesomeness of having 2 Eldritch Storms and a Roks all hitting in the same place =P

SirSigfried
2009-10-21, 09:54 AM
For SM players get Taunt it prevents conventional revives from the hero waves by making them attack you.

A Rainy Knight
2009-10-21, 08:40 PM
I'm having a good deal of fun playing this new mode. I've done most of my playing with the Captain so far, but the Farseer is entertaining now and then and I'm really starting to warm up to the Mekboy. Haven't really been seeing any GitPers on lately, though.

Cheesegear
2009-10-23, 07:04 PM
So, today I made it to Wave 19 with a Level 11 Farseer, a Level 8 Space Marine, and me, a Level 13 Mek.

For those of you paying attention, we did not have a Dreadnought, or Group Teleport spam. And we still made it to W19.

I now also know for a fact, that XP is based on what Wave you get up to. Not points score. Since we got to Wave 19, with our score somewhere in the low 600K mark, and we still got 6000XP - or something similar. It was a lot.

Points seems to be for bragging rights only and are, ironically, pointless.

BRC
2009-10-23, 07:10 PM
Im a 6th level mek, usually I use the Big Shoota, 'eavy armor, Battery Pack, Booby Traps, and my personal favorite, the Mega Rumblah. I usually try to keep back, but if I get swarmed by meleers I rumble them, and hopefully have my melee teammates handle them while they're stunned.

I've gotten up to wave 11 before.
I'm either level 6 or 7. I know I just got the Knife, but I'm too lazy to check my level.

SuperMuldoon
2009-10-23, 09:39 PM
Got up to wave 20 yesterday, and again today. Made it the first time with eldar group teleport help, and today without it. Let's just say, if you think wave 17-18-19 are hard, wave 20 is a whooooole new level!

Edit: Oh, and if anyone ever wants to play, my tag is SuperMuldoon

Cheesegear
2009-10-24, 03:37 AM
Well, today I finally made it up to Wave 20 just five mintues ago. Spamming Group Teleport. A lot.

I actually thought Waves 18 and 19 were easy. I wonder if it is a good plan to put Conceal, Ward, Group Teleport and Veil of Tears. Using Conceal and Veil of Tears at the same time?

However, it is Wave 20, and most Heroes can see through Conceal. So...

Also, I'm now top of my Leaderboard. :smallwink: Survival Multipliers are where it's at. And, with a good Farseer (i.e; Me) You can get pretty high scores. If you want a really high High Score; Don't die.
However, as I said before, points are pointless. Since getting up to Wave 20 with a score near 3 million, only got me 4400xp. That wasn't even a Level up. :smallmad:

JMobius
2009-10-24, 09:44 AM
Yeah, the experience points per wave balance is pretty off.

I've gotten to level 20 a couple of times. It has apparently been beaten, but hell if I know how its possible...