PDA

View Full Version : MRE's and other assorted Army stuff.

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-10-15, 07:00 PM
So, I bought a storage shed the other day. I went through it, and found a buncha junk in it. Anyways, I sorted through all the junk, and I found bunch of MRE'S! I dunno if they are still good or not, but isn't that so cool?
Also, I found a medal saying that he was a lefttenant! Thoughts?

Icewalker
2009-10-15, 07:03 PM
That's pretty awesome. I'm not really sure what the deal is with those things going bad, but it's certainly not a short time. I wouldn't be surprised if they were designed never to expire, but I don't remember.

Some friends and I went and bought an MRE from our local army/navy surplus store, and ate it (and filmed that). It was interesting, but it wasn't terrible. If you were out in the middle of nowhere and starving, it'd be really good.

We intended to edit it down, post it somewhere, then do more and film them as a thing, but never got around to it.

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-15, 07:04 PM
Eat it. If it tastes a little off, it means it's still good.

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-10-15, 07:12 PM
They were made in '86 with about 70 degrees temprature

Copacetic
2009-10-15, 08:54 PM
They were made in '86 with about 70 degrees temprature

A little off, then.

I ate one when I was bout 7ish. It had a tootsie roll in it. :smallsmile:

Jack Squat
2009-10-15, 09:53 PM
In their original packaging, you go by the canned food rule of thumb. Look at the packages of food, and if there's nothing growing on them and no bulging, it's good to go. Not the best tasting food out there - today's are about on par with canned food, but they're certainly edible.

Not that the ones from '86 are particularly worth it, IMO (over the years, the food's actually improved significantly to the point of tasting like canned food). But I suppose you could always keep them around for if you forget to go to the store for a week or so.

Other stuff is probably cool too. Pics?

Kneenibble
2009-10-15, 10:04 PM
This has absolutely nothing to do with your topic, Ripped Shirt Kirk, but your avatar is ****ing scary & cool.

Icewalker
2009-10-15, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I think the one we had was relatively recent.

Jack Squat
2009-10-15, 10:16 PM
Buying it from a store, yeah. It's normally from that year or the year before.

I've currently got 3 out in the car, and some more in the closet. They make good hiking food, and at $3-5/meal, not a bad deal at all.

Coidzor
2009-10-15, 10:59 PM
So a good emergency food supply then?

Trog
2009-10-15, 11:58 PM
I'm going with my dad (former Army Paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne Division) tomorrow morning to watch a bombing and strafing exercise at a local military base. Ka-Boom! :smallcool:

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-16, 01:10 AM
I'm going with my dad (former Army Paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne Division) tomorrow morning to watch a bombing and strafing exercise at a local military base. Ka-Boom! :smallcool::smalltongue:
"Army Paratrooper" and "with the 82 Airborne Division" is redundant, doncha know. (Side note: Ever seen the unit patch (http://www.militaryclothing.com//ImgUpload/P_702505_1836407.JPG)? Ever notice it has the letters AA prominantly displayed? Coincidence? I think not. :smallcool:)

Coidzor
2009-10-16, 01:14 AM
So... Do they want Anti-Air trained at them or something?:smallconfused:

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-16, 01:49 AM
So... Do they want Anti-Air trained at them or something?:smallconfused:There is another, more well known, association for this abbreviation. Alcoholics Anonymous.

Coidzor
2009-10-16, 01:50 AM
Allied Air?

That car company thingy?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-16, 01:51 AM
If I recall correctly, it stands for "Army Airborne'.
It's not that redundat, is it, Zeb? I mean, aren't the 101st Airborne, as well?
not too up-to-snuff with the Army, seeing as how the only "Other" branch I'm prone to meet are the Marines.

Fun Army Fact:
The US Army does not have any weather forecasters of it's own. It has to rely on the Air Force.
They are the only US Military branch like this. (Yes, even the MARINES have their own weather.)

Coidzor
2009-10-16, 01:54 AM
The marines are a branch?

I thought they were the hyper-violent step-children of the navy, y'know, less buggery, more lash.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-16, 01:54 AM
If I recall correctly, it stands for "Army Airborne'.
It's not that redundat, is it, Zeb? I mean, aren't the 101st Airborne, as well?
not too up-to-snuff with the Army, seeing as how the only "Other" branch I'm prone to meet are the Marines.

Fun Army Fact:
The US Army does not have any weather forecasters of it's own. It has to rely on the Air Force.
They are the only US Military branch like this. (Yes, even the MARINES have their own weather.)The 101st is an Air Assault division (the guys that rappel out of helicopters), not a paratrooper division, even though it says airborne on the patch.

Coid, if you're not just kidding and don't actually know, I white texted the answer in my previous post.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-16, 02:00 AM

I thought they were the hyper-violent step-children of the navy, y'know, less buggery, more lash.

If you look at the Departmental Seal of the US Marine corps, it does say "US Marine Corps, Department of the Navy". So yes, technically, they are the US Navy.
If you value your life, though, don't tell the Marines.

The Coast Guard, however, you can point out to them all day that they're not a military branch, and are under either the perview of the Navy or the DoT, depending on whether or not the country is at war.
Becasue, come on, they're Coasties. Puddle Runners.
Knee-Deep Navy.
Affectionate anti-Coastie joke spoiler'd (Because we love to rag on you guys)
Minimum height requirement for the US Coast Guard: Six Feet.
Rationale: So that the crew can wade to shore in case the ship sinks.

pendell
2009-10-16, 05:01 AM
If you look at the Departmental Seal of the US Marine corps, it does say "US Marine Corps, Department of the Navy". So yes, technically, they are the US Navy.

The Coast Guard, however, you can point out to them all day that they're not a military branch, and are under either the perview of the Navy or the DoT, depending on whether or not the country is at war.
Knee-Deep Navy.

Maybe so, but if you're out on a boat in the middle of a storm, or adrift with a broken down engine, it'll be the coasties who bail you out. Real angels, those guys.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

bosssmiley
2009-10-16, 06:05 AM
I'm going with my dad (former Army Paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne Division) tomorrow morning to watch a bombing and strafing exercise at a local military base. Ka-Boom! :smallcool:

Army brats have the best childhoods. Clambering around on tanks, watching stuff get blown up, playing with all the cool military kit their parents work with... :smallbiggrin:

@vv: You're thinking of the Navy (naval tradition = rum, sodomy & the lash) :smalltongue:

Death, your friend the Reaper
2009-10-16, 06:10 AM
Army brats have the best childhoods. Clambering around on tanks, watching stuff get blown up, playing with all the cool military kit their parents work with... :smallbiggrin:

If there's a better way to raise someone to conquer their own country by 12 I don't know how. *checks Trog's profile for how many dictatorships he has going*

Coidzor
2009-10-16, 08:45 AM

Except all of the ones I've met were either traumatized or obsessed with giving soldiers oral sex.

Green Bean
2009-10-16, 08:57 AM
Except all of the ones I've met were either traumatized or obsessed with giving soldiers oral sex.

I'm not traumatized, so I really hope you're wrong... :smalleek:

Anuan
2009-10-16, 09:02 AM
Are there no women in the Canadian army? :smalltongue:

Green Bean
2009-10-16, 09:07 AM
Are there no women in the Canadian army? :smalltongue:

Touché. :smallbiggrin:

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-16, 09:41 AM
Speaking of army brats, I recently had an NCO relating how his 4 sons(!) use almost all public holidays as an excuse to partake in the Army physical fitness test.:smallbiggrin:

UncleWolf
2009-10-16, 11:44 AM
Heh, I actually like the MREs. Just avoid the pastas and the more... exotic ones.

And as an Army Brat(US Army in my case), I can say that we do have it pretty good. Travel the world, meet new people, climb on tanks (:smallbiggrin:), very low-cost health care...

Its actually really nice.

@Coid: If they are traumatized, I wouldn't know why. Me and my two siblings turned out fine.

Except that after my father retired, we get the urge to suddenly pack up every thing and move every two years or so, but I actually liked moving around a lot.

Trog
2009-10-16, 02:06 PM
:smalltongue:
"Army Paratrooper" and "with the 82 Airborne Division" is redundant, doncha know. (Side note: Ever seen the unit patch (http://www.militaryclothing.com//ImgUpload/P_702505_1836407.JPG)? Ever notice it has the letters AA prominantly displayed? Coincidence? I think not. :smallcool:)
Yes, I know this... others may not. :smalltongue:

In fact, I have designed quite a bit for the 82nd Airborne Division Association Badger State Chapter including a book for the 82nd Airborne Division Association National Convention in... er... 2005? I think? and also designed a collectible brass coin they now sell...

http://home.centurytel.net/jeffsjunk/CoinDesign.jpg

...in addition to seeing the logo all the time as a kid in my house growing up so yes I am infinitely aware of their logo being parachutesque. :smalltongue:

*checks Trog's profile for how many dictatorships he has going*
Well... just Trogland, really. Which is technically a Trogtatorship... being the rule by shredded potatoes molded into the shape of cigarettes.

Yora
2009-10-16, 02:21 PM
Knee-Deep Navy.
Our coast guard isn't even military.

Only police

ON SEA!!!

RabbitHoleLost
2009-10-16, 02:45 PM
Ugh, MRE's.
I've had to eat my fair share of them.

I liked one. The thai chicken.
I don't think they make it anymore v.v

snoopy13a
2009-10-16, 03:02 PM

Knee-Deep Navy.

I believe that the Coast Guard has been moved from Transportation to Homeland Security.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-16, 03:25 PM
I believe that the Coast Guard has been moved from Transportation to Homeland Security.

Shhhhh. Don't remind them, they'll think they're more important than they are.
For real, though? I Definatly appreciate and respect Coasties.

Solaris
2009-10-16, 03:29 PM
Ugh, MRE's.
I've had to eat my fair share of them.

I liked one. The thai chicken.
I don't think they make it anymore v.v

Yeah, the Thai chicken went the way of the dodo. Now they all rate somewhere around 'edible, technically'.

HawkW
2009-10-16, 03:31 PM
Meals, Rarely Edible. :smalltongue:

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-10-16, 03:35 PM
The AA on the 82d patch stands for "All-American."

The US has 5 armed forces among its seven uniformed services. This includes the Marine Corps, which is part of the Department of the Navy (under Dept of Defense).
The Coast Guard used to be part of Dept of Transportation. It is now under Dept of Homeland Security but can fall under Dept of Navy under certain circumstances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Uniformed_Services

MREs from '86? I doubt they're very flavorful now. But here's the menu so you know what's inside each one:
http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/menus-vi-1986.html
I haven't eaten many from this list, but I remember the "Ham Slice" was pretty horrible.
MREs these days are actually not bad, just still pretty oily so you have to be hungry.

I always get a chuckle out of the phrases "Chunked and Formed" (meat pattie) and "Rock or Something" (on the instructions for the heater).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/2438299798_ced0e28d12.jpg

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-16, 05:26 PM
MREs these days are actually not bad, just still pretty oily so you have to be hungry.

I always get a chuckle out of the phrases "Chunked and Formed" (meat pattie) and "Rock or Something" (on the instructions for the heater).

:smallbiggrin:
I remember that! (I haven't eaten any MREs in a while.)
Anyway, remembering talking with my dad - who was a Combat Corpsman during Desert Storm/Shield - the BEST additions to MREs are the following, in order:
1) Long Spoons. That is, spoons that can actually reach the bottom of the bag
2) Tabasco sauce.
He also made numerous allusions to "heat tabs", which were appaantly used before modern heater packets to 'cook' the food, and would often call the sun "That big heat tab in the sky".
So, y'know, good ol' 1986 MREs might be without A) Long Spoons, B) Tabasco sauce, and C) Modern heater packets.
Fair warning.

Prak
2009-10-16, 06:21 PM
That's the best damned thing I've seen all day...

"rock or something" that's f'ing hilarious....

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-16, 07:18 PM
Hey now, don't go knocking the pasta. I had the opportunity to try a Muslim mutton pasta during a field camp in my basic training days, and it was delicious(if a little spicy for my tastes). Contrast to the non-Muslim Chicken Rice, which was alternately dry, paste, and sometimes, if you were lucky, you could actually get individual rice grains which could actually be chewed. I tried pouring hot water into the pack and it STILL didn't taste good. I had to literally chuck in half a packet of MSG from the instant noodle packets to make it palatable enough to swallow. Of course, I think my combat rations may be locally manufactured, and this was 10 years ago, so your mileage may vary.

Jack Squat
2009-10-16, 07:32 PM
:smallbiggrin:
I remember that! (I haven't eaten any MREs in a while.)
Anyway, remembering talking with my dad - who was a Combat Corpsman during Desert Storm/Shield - the BEST additions to MREs are the following, in order:
1) Long Spoons. That is, spoons that can actually reach the bottom of the bag
2) Tabasco sauce.
He also made numerous allusions to "heat tabs", which were appaantly used before modern heater packets to 'cook' the food, and would often call the sun "That big heat tab in the sky".
So, y'know, good ol' 1986 MREs might be without A) Long Spoons, B) Tabasco sauce, and C) Modern heater packets.
Fair warning.

The Tabasco is awesome. It's in these little tiny bottles.
The "heat tabs" are compressed trioxane bars. I've got plenty. They're pretty decent at starting fires. IIRC, most surplus stores sell them for about 70 cents a box..

The only MRE I've had (current batch) that I won't eat is the Veggie Omelet. There are some that aren't really what I'd call good, but it's a pretty well-held opinion that you don't touch these if you can help it.

Myrmex
2009-10-16, 09:32 PM
This has absolutely nothing to do with your topic, Ripped Shirt Kirk, but your avatar is ****ing scary & cool.

I saw this thread was by "Ripped Shirt Kirk", and was hoping it'd be a OotS-style Kirk in a ripped shirt.

Then I got kinda grossed out.

Prak
2009-10-16, 10:26 PM
I saw this thread was by "Ripped Shirt Kirk", and was hoping it'd be a OotS-style Kirk in a ripped shirt.

Then I got kinda grossed out.

yeah, I was expecting that too. Though I followed the thread where the avatar was actually first posted (the Evil Oots thread. It's a deathknight Roy).

Escef
2009-10-17, 03:07 PM
Of the currently available MREs, Captain's Country Chicken and Vegetable Omelet are generally considered the worst. The Best desserts are cookies or poundcake. The poundcake comes in several varieties; lemon, pumpkin, chocolate, and plain I have personally seen. Some of the extras are decent. Apple sauce and apple-raspberry sauce are good. The wheat snack bread is some of the most cardboard tasting stuff I've tasted since... cardboard. Seriously, the crackers have more flavor.

I've only eaten MREs once or twice since I got to Iraq. I'm in a support MOS, so I get to be a FOBbit. The DFAC on FOB Warhorse was better than most garrison DFACs.

skywalker
2009-10-17, 09:42 PM
The 101st is an Air Assault division (the guys that rappel out of helicopters), not a paratrooper division, even though it says airborne on the patch.

Don't they tend toward actually just climbing out of the helicopter while it's on (or hovering just above) the ground?

Also, they used to jump out of planes, before the Army decided it was a better idea to land that amount of troops with precision instead of throwing them out of planes and hoping they landed in the right spot.

Eh? What?

Fun Army Fact:
They are the only US Military branch like this. (Yes, even the MARINES have their own weather.)

It's not their fault. Until recently, the Air Force was the Army. Frankly, from my perspective, it's much more efficient to just call up the Air Force instead of having your own complete, money-wasting bureaucracy...

Hey now, don't go knocking the pasta. I had the opportunity to try a Muslim mutton pasta during a field camp in my basic training days, and it was delicious(if a little spicy for my tastes).

In the US, we have rations specifically manufactured by a certain company to be both kosher and halal. Are you referring to halal rations? That's the only thing I can think of that would be "Muslim" vs. "Non-Muslim..." It is generally believed over here that anything that isn't a standard MRE is better...

I love how "Tabasco" is like Army code for "Little bottle of flavor!"

Jack Squat
2009-10-17, 10:52 PM
It's not their fault. Until recently, the Air Force was the Army. Frankly, from my perspective, it's much more efficient to just call up the Air Force instead of having your own complete, money-wasting bureaucracy...

If you consider 1947 recent...

Also, I can see where the Army could rely on the Air Force, as they're generally deployed around the same area, but it's really better from a logistic point of view to control all the info coming in yourself rather than relying on a different agency or branch (or company/person if outside of the .gov)

RabbitHoleLost
2009-10-17, 10:55 PM
You know what one I can't eat?
The vegetarian black bean and rice burrito.

THAC0
2009-10-18, 02:08 AM
Also, I can see where the Army could rely on the Air Force, as they're generally deployed around the same area

Like when the army keeps stealing AF people to do stuff they aren't trained to do?

Yeah, I'm a little bitter here at the moment. :smallwink:

Coidzor
2009-10-18, 02:25 AM
Eh? What?

Personal experience is an interesting thing. So are ex-girlfriends.

If I recall correctly the Air Force got separated out due to strategic air command, global thermonuclear war being on the table, and a desire to stop being the army's redheaded stepchild in terms of funding and such.

Like when the army keeps stealing AF people to do stuff they aren't trained to do?

You'd think they'd have to trade or something.

Yoren
2009-10-18, 02:43 AM

Heard this on the Daily Show a couple of days ago and thought it was great.

The marines are a department of the navy.
The men's department :smallbiggrin:

Thiel
2009-10-18, 04:30 AM
Our coast guard isn't even military.

Only police

ON SEA!!!

And they take their own sweet time doing Port State inspections! :smallfurious:

Normally, it'll take about 15 minutes. In Germany, it took three friggin' hours.
That's worse than in Russia!

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-10-18, 07:11 AM
If I recall correctly the Air Force got separated out due to strategic air command, global thermonuclear war being on the table, and a desire to stop being the army's redheaded stepchild in terms of funding and such.

I highly recommend the movie "The Court Martial of Billy Mitchell." May answer some of your questions on this.

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-18, 11:29 AM
In the US, we have rations specifically manufactured by a certain company to be both kosher and halal. Are you referring to halal rations? That's the only thing I can think of that would be "Muslim" vs. "Non-Muslim..." It is generally believed over here that anything that isn't a standard MRE is better...

Yeah, it was a Halal ration that I happened to find "laying around"(Read as unescorted outside of a field tent). The spice didn't really do me any favours, but between the mutton, the pasta, and a packet of instant noodles, that was by far one of the best meals outfield ever(and that's saying a lot, considering sometimes we get the same food as the cookhouse, just eaten from styrofoam{previously. Now in enviro-friendly cardboard} packets.).

Dexam
2009-10-18, 11:12 PM
Meals, Rarely Edible. :smalltongue:
I've not eaten MRE's, but I'd heard that they are three lies in one convenient package: they're not a meal, they're not ready, and they're certainly not edible. :smalltongue:

Trog
2009-10-19, 12:52 AM
I've not eaten MRE's, but I'd heard that they are three lies in one convenient package: they're not a meal, they're not ready, and they're certainly not edible. :smalltongue:
I had always heard them referred to as Meals Rejected by Everyone. I've actually never had one before. Can't be any worse than gas station food, I figure. :smalltongue:

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-19, 12:59 AM
As of 2000, when I got out after my ten year stint, I liked MRE's well enough. Way back when, after field exercises I used to lay claim to the leftover boxes and take them home with me. Served two purposes. One, when the weather got rough, they were plenty of weight in the back of my Camaro (shut up, I was young and they weren't 'ghetto cars' then :smallcool:). Two, they tasted better than the mess hall and I didn't have to go anywhere to get them. My personal favorite was the corned beef hash (I still love that stuff, I just have to get it in a can now).

Solaris
2009-10-20, 12:07 AM
The AA on the 82d patch stands for "All-American."

The US has 5 armed forces among its seven uniformed services. This includes the Marine Corps, which is part of the Department of the Navy (under Dept of Defense).
The Coast Guard used to be part of Dept of Transportation. It is now under Dept of Homeland Security but can fall under Dept of Navy under certain circumstances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Uniformed_Services

MREs from '86? I doubt they're very flavorful now. But here's the menu so you know what's inside each one:
http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/menus-vi-1986.html
I haven't eaten many from this list, but I remember the "Ham Slice" was pretty horrible.

Ladies and gentlemen, a successful Bardic Knowledge check.

The "heat tabs" are compressed trioxane bars. I've got plenty. They're pretty decent at starting fires. IIRC, most surplus stores sell them for about 70 cents a box..

The only MRE I've had (current batch) that I won't eat is the Veggie Omelet. There are some that aren't really what I'd call good, but it's a pretty well-held opinion that you don't touch these if you can help it.

Let me put it this way: I'm notorious for being a bottomless pit when it comes to food. I'll eat just about anything, and it doesn't have to be quite dead when I start. There have been times where I have had the option of eating a Veggie Omelet or going without chow for a day.
I went without chow.

Of the currently available MREs, Captain's Country Chicken and Vegetable Omelet are generally considered the worst. The Best desserts are cookies or poundcake. The poundcake comes in several varieties; lemon, pumpkin, chocolate, and plain I have personally seen. Some of the extras are decent. Apple sauce and apple-raspberry sauce are good. The wheat snack bread is some of the most cardboard tasting stuff I've tasted since... cardboard. Seriously, the crackers have more flavor.

I've only eaten MREs once or twice since I got to Iraq. I'm in a support MOS, so I get to be a FOBbit. The DFAC on FOB Warhorse was better than most garrison DFACs.

Yes, but you can use the crackers and/or wheat snack bread, some water, and cocoa powder to make pudding.
Pretty much anything fruit-based in an MRE is edible. The Hooah bar... is an acquired taste.

Heck yeah it is. When we were out at Mallalah (I can say it 'cause it's an Iraqi base now, haha!) we used to love the Warhorse DFAC. It was a shiny moment in our culinarily dreary lives.
Also, Warhorse represent! I look forward to the rainy season when your FOB transforms into a giant mudhole. Even better 'cause they closed down the parking lot across the street from the DFAC (seriously, what's up with that?) and made people cross what will very rapidly turn into mud-pool #5524.

I can match you gripe for gripe. "Six-month deployments."
And the gall to whine about how long they've been in Iraq when all they do is sit at a nice, air-conditioned desk and tell soldiers that the plane's been delayed due to weather and/or people not being quite bright enough to figure out basic logistical planning.

Oh yeah. Moustache Man will always win the bitter contests.

I had always heard them referred to as Meals Rejected by Everyone. I've actually never had one before. Can't be any worse than gas station food, I figure. :smalltongue:

And you would figure wrong. Very, very wrong. As wrong as what an MRE does to digestive tracts not designed to extract pure, refined hatred as sustenance.

Coidzor
2009-10-20, 12:46 AM
As of 2000, when I got out after my ten year stint, I liked MRE's well enough. Way back when, after field exercises I used to lay claim to the leftover boxes and take them home with me. Served two purposes. One, when the weather got rough, they were plenty of weight in the back of my Camaro (shut up, I was young and they weren't 'ghetto cars' then :smallcool:). Two, they tasted better than the mess hall and I didn't have to go anywhere to get them. My personal favorite was the corned beef hash (I still love that stuff, I just have to get it in a can now).

Wait, you actually like **** on a shingle?

Prak
2009-10-20, 01:18 AM
And you would figure wrong. Very, very wrong. As wrong as what an MRE does to digestive tracts not designed to extract pure, refined hatred as sustenance.

Oh, so I would be fine. Cool. Next time I've got an apartment, I'm keeping some of these in the pantry for when I'm too broke to eat...

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-20, 01:50 AM
Wait, you actually like **** on a shingle?I do at that. In fact, I can't think of a one that was available at the time that I actually refused to eat. Did/does any one else make what we used to call Ranger Pudding with the extras? Basically, take the cocoa powder, open the pouch long ways, add the sugar packet, the creamer packet, and the instant coffee packet, stir, then add just enough water to give it the consistency of a good cake batter, stir again, eat. Yummeh. :smallcool:

(Note, one guy thought it might be a good idea to add the tobasco to this. It was not. :smallyuk:)

Trog
2009-10-20, 02:49 AM
That sounds like gas station food all right. :smalltongue::smallwink:

wxdruid
2009-10-20, 03:24 AM
There are a few MRE's I like. The beef stew, the tuna and noodles are two of the ones I remember.

And...I think we need to start passing around the love, so, I think my presents to other playgrounders this year (those who's addresses I have) will be presented with a lovely MRE all of their own. To discover the joy in each and every brown plastic package. :smalltongue:

And the gall to whine about how long they've been in Iraq when all they do is sit at a nice, air-conditioned desk and tell soldiers that the plane's been delayed due to weather and/or people not being quite bright enough to figure out basic logistical planning.

I won't tell you how long my deployments were and what my job is... You'll only hate me more.

Solaris
2009-10-20, 11:43 AM
I won't tell you how long my deployments were and what my job is... You'll only hate me more.

*Hate hate hate*

THAC0
2009-10-20, 12:20 PM

Oh yeah. Moustache Man will always win the bitter contests.

How about 1:1, and by 1:1 I mean he's been home exactly a month and is leaving in less than a week for training again? :smallfurious:

Coidzor
2009-10-20, 12:35 PM
Beats having 2 kids and 3 miscarriages out of a sense of urgency to pop out babies before the husband leaves for deployment again.:smallyuk:

Solaris
2009-10-20, 02:16 PM
How about 1:1, and by 1:1 I mean he's been home exactly a month and is leaving in less than a week for training again? :smallfurious:

I've been home exactly three weeks in the past two years because my unit doesn't believe in leave.

skywalker
2009-10-20, 02:23 PM
Beats having 2 kids and 3 miscarriages out of a sense of urgency to pop out babies before the husband leaves for deployment again.:smallyuk:

You need to find some better experiences to associate with the military.

Solaris
2009-10-20, 02:27 PM

Yeah, being only twenty-one and unmarried I can't top three miscarriages.

Coidzor
2009-10-20, 02:52 PM

I know! It's horrible. And all because I couldn't get one of my ex girlfriends to leave me alone.

Then again, I think she was telling me all of that to rub it in that she was married to someone else or something while I was having things go to hell in a handbasket with my pseudo-fiance.

pendell
2009-10-20, 03:35 PM

How many in each category? If the sample data set size is < 5 people, that means an entirely different thing than a data sample of 100.

Respectfully,

Brian "Statistics is your friend" P.

Coidzor
2009-10-20, 03:38 PM
About 12 so far that I've spent any length of time with.

Just bloody uncomfortable getting such a bad sample.

Solaris
2009-10-20, 09:01 PM
About 12 so far that I've spent any length of time with.

Just bloody uncomfortable getting such a bad sample.

Eh, the evidence supports the theory. Sorry, civilians, the only thing worse than a preacher's kid is an Army brat.

Prak
2009-10-21, 12:06 AM
I almost want to meet more army brats...

damnit, I'm not a soldier...

Solaris
2009-10-21, 12:07 AM
I almost want to meet more army brats...

damnit, I'm not a soldier...

The problem being her father is trained in lethal combat.
I'm just sayin'.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-21, 12:09 AM
Eh, the evidence supports the theory. Sorry, civilians, the only thing worse than a preacher's kid is an Army brat.One might want to take care how one talks about people in a situation where they don't know who all the listeners are. There are several people here who are or were in the military and have children. I think you'll find that nary a one of them will appreciate your generalized assumption that their children are fated to become damaged goods based on nothing but their parents' service to their country.

I enlisted in the Army before my daughter's second birthday and served for ten years. Maybe you're not qualifying her as an Army brat, but I know that she's neither traumatized nor has ever even dated a soldier, despite the fact that she reached adulthood in the "Military District of Washington" as the DoD calls it. In my three tours, I've obviously met many soldiers' children and never once did I meet one who was any worse than the kids I grew up with.

And as for the obscene trait described, I've found that most military kids have no desire to cavort with soldiers and sailors because it'd be too much like dating their service member parent.

So if we could please stop insulting those who serve or have served and their offspring and get back to talking about prepackaged foodstuffs of questionable quality, I, at least, would appreciate it. :smallmad:

I was always fond of the Beef Stew, as well.

Prak
2009-10-21, 12:13 AM
The problem being her father is trained in lethal combat.
I'm just sayin'.

...this is true... more so than I am...

Though I've dealt with trigger happy girlfriends' fathers before... not to say that relationship worked out, but I never got shot at or threatened, so...

Solaris
2009-10-21, 12:20 AM
One might want to take care how one talks about people in a situation where they don't know who all the listeners are. There are several people here who are or were in the military and have children. I think you'll find that nary a one of them will appreciate your generalized assumption that their children are fated to become damaged goods based on nothing but their parents' service to their country.

I enlisted in the Army before my daughter's second birthday and served for ten years. Maybe you're not qualifying her as an Army brat, but I know that she's neither traumatized nor has ever even dated a soldier, despite the fact that she reached adulthood in the "Military District of Washington" as the DoD calls it. In my three tours, I've obviously met many soldiers' children and never once did I meet one who was any worse than the kids I grew up with.

And as for the obscene trait described, I've found that most military kids have no desire to cavort with soldiers and sailors because it'd be too much like dating their service member parent.

So if we could please stop insulting those who serve or have served and their offspring and get back to talking about prepackaged foodstuffs of questionable quality, I, at least, would appreciate it. :smallmad:

I was always fond of the Beef Stew, as well.

It's worth noting that not all preacher's kids fit the stereotype, but you're right about the topic veering off into non-GitP territory.

Beef stew's about the only one aside from the tuna that I'll eat. The tuna they got these days is awesome, actual name-brand civilian tuna with these tortilla things.

skywalker
2009-10-21, 12:40 AM
Perfectly Appropriate Righteous Anger

I would like to point out that, unless I'm mistaken, Solaris is in fact a member of the Armed Services as well. Which, you know, when you're part of the in-group, you can say certain things about that in-group, that the out-group can't say. Which I daresay is what Solaris was thinking at the time. I doubt he would seriously say those things about his future children. I'm not trying to argue with you Zeb, I just don't like to see an innocent man get the :smallmad: face.

Escef
2009-10-21, 10:15 AM
Also, Warhorse represent! I look forward to the rainy season when your FOB transforms into a giant mudhole. Even better 'cause they closed down the parking lot across the street from the DFAC (seriously, what's up with that?) and made people cross what will very rapidly turn into mud-pool #5524.

Yeah, I arrived at Warhorse just in time for the rainy season last year. Should be on back in Kuwait before the end of the month, hopefully even back to the states.

Ok, no one who deploys for 6 months should gripe to those of us who deployed for a year. And I salute the poor souls who had to pull 15 month deployments. As for complaining the the Army stole AF personnel to do stuff they aren't trained for... Hi, welcome to our world! The Army LOVES to throw people into jobs they aren't trained for. At my first unit I spent 15 months as a supply clerk while waiting for my clearance to be processed. And I feel bad for 35P's who are forced to do 35N work. Hey, you get to do a job you aren't trained for, and if it was your MOS you'd be a SSG by now because the promotion points are stupid low.

Solaris
2009-10-21, 12:03 PM
I would like to point out that, unless I'm mistaken, Solaris is in fact a member of the Armed Services as well. Which, you know, when you're part of the in-group, you can say certain things about that in-group, that the out-group can't say. Which I daresay is what Solaris was thinking at the time. I doubt he would seriously say those things about his future children. I'm not trying to argue with you Zeb, I just don't like to see an innocent man get the :smallmad: face.
I am, and I was being about as serious as any generalistic statement made in a half-serious discussion is. He was still right to call me out on it, though.

Yeah, I arrived at Warhorse just in time for the rainy season last year. Should be on back in Kuwait before the end of the month, hopefully even back to the states.
Awesome. We arrived at about the same time, I'm thinking a couple months ahead of you.

Ok, no one who deploys for 6 months should gripe to those of us who deployed for a year. And I salute the poor souls who had to pull 15 month deployments. As for complaining the the Army stole AF personnel to do stuff they aren't trained for... Hi, welcome to our world! The Army LOVES to throw people into jobs they aren't trained for. At my first unit I spent 15 months as a supply clerk while waiting for my clearance to be processed. And I feel bad for 35P's who are forced to do 35N work. Hey, you get to do a job you aren't trained for, and if it was your MOS you'd be a SSG by now because the promotion points are stupid low.

Amen to that. We dodged a fifteen-month deployment by a month. My twelve-month deployment was spent doing the work of a... let's see, this is a running joke with us. Infantry, light infantry, cav scout, truck driver, generator mechanic, contractor, landscaper (and not the fun way with explosives), cook, intel gatherer, translator (that was a Plan B), medic, military police, vehicle mechanic, aid worker, bodyguard... y'know, pretty much everybody except the artillery.
Although I think she was complaining about the AF guys being grabbed to do stuff for Army that the Army doesn't train for... because we have the AF to do it for us.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-10-21, 03:36 PM
Brigade I was attached to did 14 months, then with only 11 months of dwell time they left again for another 12+ month deployment. Fortunately for me I wasn't attached to the brigade any longer.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-22, 01:04 AM
I would like to point out that, unless I'm mistaken, Solaris is in fact a member of the Armed Services as well. Which, you know, when you're part of the in-group, you can say certain things about that in-group, that the out-group can't say. Which I daresay is what Solaris was thinking at the time. I doubt he would seriously say those things about his future children. I'm not trying to argue with you Zeb, I just don't like to see an innocent man get the :smallmad: face.I am, and I was being about as serious as any generalistic statement made in a half-serious discussion is. He was still right to call me out on it, though.In fairness, it was happenstance that it was Solaris's post that got quoted, but it was Coidzor who made the original comment that set me off. I got caught in the moment and I apologize for lashing out like that. (If the preacher's kids vs Army brats thing had been a standalone comment, I might even have snickered myself.)

But the point remains that when you plan to make vulgar and/or derogatory characterizations in places like this (especially in a thread that is likely to attract the very people you're about to offend) you should think it through before hitting the Submit button. In my view, this claim in this thread is analagous to me going into a thread titled "What's your favorite class to teach?" and casually declaring that high school teachers are "pedophiles with permission" because I saw a couple of news stories recently. It would be folly to think someone might not take that badly.

Does anyone else remember the "Four Fingers of Death"? They were called "frankfurters" but were actually not that bad, being actual all beef franks. Just, when they first came out, the heater didn't necessarily come with the meal, so eaten cold they're kinda :smallyuk:.

Vmag
2009-10-22, 07:08 AM
One might want to take care how one talks about people in a situation where they don't know who all the listeners are. There are several people here who are or were in the military and have children.

And it'd still be appropriate to tease-up the brats :smallamused:

My goodness, all the little fresh-out-of-high school females who were So proud of themselves for getting into such cozy MOSes and their daddy was either a First Sergeant or Sergeant Major in this branch these many decades ago or an officer in this branch these many decades ago.

First few months they think they're hot stuff, then all their dating starts taking its toll on them, and they start having mental breakdowns and either getting discharged or "accidentally" pregnant...

They're fantastic when they actually take their career choices seriously, though, but that goes for the military brats and the first-generation militarios, as well as either gender.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-22, 01:08 PM
And I feel bad for 35P's who are forced to do 35N work. Hey, you get to do a job you aren't trained for, and if it was your MOS you'd be a SSG by now because the promotion points are stupid low.I just had to look this up because a friend of mine is now an instructor at the 35N BNCOC course. I didn't realize when you said it that this is what I used to do, only it was called 98C when I did it, and I never made SSG because the points never dropped below 700 for the entirety of my enlistment. Most of the time it was 798. How things change.

And it'd still be appropriate to tease-up the brats :smallamused:There is teasing and then there is lewd, crude, and socially unacceptable, which is what I found offensive, being a veteran and a parent. While my knee-jerk reaction may have been inappropriate, my ire is not. You can't go around declaring a certain population to be sexual deviants by virtue of their parent's vocation and not expect someone to get upset about it. :smallsigh:

skywalker
2009-10-22, 01:44 PM
There is teasing and then there is lewd, crude, and socially unacceptable, which is what I found offensive, being a veteran and a parent. While my knee-jerk reaction may have been inappropriate, my ire is not. You can't go around declaring a certain population to be sexual deviants by virtue of their parent's vocation and not expect someone to get upset about it. :smallsigh:

Vmag has apparently never heard the term "army brat" used to refer to anyone other than a soldier's daughter who also joins up.

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only guy in the bar who speaks troll, and I'm doing my best to keep everyone else from (literally) losing their heads :smallbiggrin:

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-10-22, 02:17 PM
So, the latest rumor I've heard is that the oh-so-velcroey ACUs will become the U.S. Army's garrison utility uniforms, and we're going to go back to issuing terrain/climate-specific uniforms for deployments. Anyone have any firm information on that?

Also anyone have thoughts on the Army Service Uniform? I have a set of dress blues, and I'm looking forward to ditching my green leisure suit, but I haven't actually seen any of the new components of the ASU yet.

How about you Air Force types? Did they fix the ABU so it's not so heavy and hot anymore?

Escef
2009-10-22, 04:04 PM
I just had to look this up because a friend of mine is now an instructor at the 35N BNCOC course. I didn't realize when you said it that this is what I used to do, only it was called 98C when I did it, and I never made SSG because the points never dropped below 700 for the entirety of my enlistment. Most of the time it was 798. How things change.

Yeah, it was 98C when I joined, too. I honestly don't know what the points for E-6 are, but since I came in back in late '05 the points for E-5 have been sitting at 350. Hell, if I was ambitious, I'd have been a SGT months ago. But I'm not. I'll get out with my Sham Shield. I am, however, making sure that my ERB is squared away. If I get called up on IRR I will be damned if deploy to Afghanistan and not get stripes.

wxdruid
2009-10-22, 04:07 PM
The other airmen at work all love the ABU. I, myself, haven't bought a set yet. Because, one, it's not required to wear it til Oct 2011 or something like that, so I'll wait til they iron out the all the little problems and perhaps get all of them the same shade (two different companies make them and you have to shade match at clothing sales). Two, I have perfectly wearable BDUs to wear to work.

EleventhHour
2009-10-22, 04:10 PM
And as an Army Brat(US Army in my case), I can say that we do have it pretty good. Travel the world, meet new people, climb on tanks (:smallbiggrin:), very low-cost health care...

Its actually really nice.

That's a perk?
Note to self ; do not get job in USA. Stay in Canada. Free healthcare.

Also : The blueberry MRE-things are delicious...

UncleWolf
2009-10-22, 04:54 PM
That's a perk?
Note to self ; do not get job in USA. Stay in Canada. Free healthcare.

Also : The blueberry MRE-things are delicious...

Eh, we get reimbursed for most of it if it isn't on a military base's hospital. As far as I know for on-base hospitals, we've never had to pay a dime most of the time.

I could be wrong since my parents usually took care of that kind of thing.

As for MRE's, I have to admit that the steak/beef patty/thing one I found wasn't that bad. Neither were the all-beef hotdogs. But remember, if the peanutbutter is over a year old, mix in the packet well before trying to squeeze it into your mouth. The oil separates after a time. :smallyuk:

Jack Squat
2009-10-22, 05:13 PM
But remember, if the peanutbutter is over a year old, mix in the packet well before trying to squeeze it into your mouth. The oil separates after a time. :smallyuk:

That's true with any peanut butter really though. The 'natural' ones tend to separate much faster than normal JIF, which still can do it after a couple months sitting of in your pantry.

I'd also like to point out that I'm pretty sure the packets say to knead thoroughly before opening...I know the spicy nacho cheese ones do.

UncleWolf
2009-10-22, 05:18 PM
That's true with any peanut butter really though. The 'natural' ones tend to separate much faster than normal JIF, which still can do it after a couple months sitting of in your pantry.

I'd also like to point out that I'm pretty sure the packets say to knead thoroughly before opening...I know the spicy nacho cheese ones do.

It did, I just didn't pay attention to that. All I saw was PEANUTBUTTER and went wild by trying to eat it. All I got was half a packet of oil. :smallyuk:

wxdruid
2009-10-22, 05:23 PM
I never eat the peanut butter or the cheese in MRE's, never developed a taste for them. I prefer the crackers and the bread.

skywalker
2009-10-22, 05:50 PM

*Finally finds a positive to his peanut allergy*

I don't envy at all anyone who has had to knead a packet of peanut butter to ensure their meal worked out ok.

Solaris
2009-10-23, 11:00 PM
Vmag has apparently never heard the term "army brat" used to refer to anyone other than a soldier's daughter who also joins up.

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only guy in the bar who speaks troll, and I'm doing my best to keep everyone else from (literally) losing their heads :smallbiggrin:

No, no, I'm in no danger of losing my head. We did carry the joking over the line.

So, the latest rumor I've heard is that the oh-so-velcroey ACUs will become the U.S. Army's garrison utility uniforms, and we're going to go back to issuing terrain/climate-specific uniforms for deployments. Anyone have any firm information on that?
Two brigades deploying to the Sandbox are field-testing two different patterns. One is the UCP-Delta, which has no testing whatsoever to back it up. The other brigade is field-testing the multicam pattern, which Special Forces has tested and given the thumbs-up. No other data to my memory beyond that.

Also anyone have thoughts on the Army Service Uniform? I have a set of dress blues, and I'm looking forward to ditching my green leisure suit, but I haven't actually seen any of the new components of the ASU yet.
Ugh. That blue monstrosity makes me want to hurl. I like how they pretend they listen to feedback when just about all anyone tells them is "Put the unit patches on the shoulders, not the bellies." Someone wants his next star. Their constant changing of our uniforms is making us the laughing-stock of the service.
This from a guy who actually liked the blue uniform before they refused to straighten it out.

How about you Air Force types? Did they fix the ABU so it's not so heavy and hot anymore?
*Snirks*
... Okay, so I shouldn't make fun of the Air Force this time. The FR-ACU is actually lighter and cooler, much like the zoomies were asking for (because the ACU/ABU is stupidly heavy for where we fight), except it has the problem of melting when it gets hot enough rather than burning. Epic failure of design, given that the 'FR' stands for 'Flame Retardant'. I still wore mine even after word came down that they were banned.