PDA

View Full Version : Need help for an Assassin [3.5]

Kokaka
2009-10-15, 07:15 PM
Hi all.

So, me and some friends are going to start with an interesting game in dnd.
Its basicly that everyone is trapped in a dungeon, where every man is for them self which means that if we see another player we try to kill each other aswell as potential mosters in the dungeon.

Anyway. I want to play as an assassin since I really like the concept behind them, and it also help alot that I play assassins creed at the moment.

The stats we start with is 14 in everything and we can change them as we like, so +1 in one stat means -1 in another stat, max 18 and min 3.

The books we are allowed to use are: DMG, PHB, PHB2, all Complete books, all Races books, MM1, Unearthed Arcana, Spell Compendium, Eberron Campaign Setting, Book of Exalted Deeds, Book of Vile Darkness and Five Nations.

So, does anyone got some tips on how to build the ultimate assassin, to kill players and monsters alike?

Flickerdart
2009-10-15, 07:21 PM
Wizard, or Beguiler with a scythe. SoL people from hiding and CdG. Win game.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-15, 07:24 PM
Assassin class? Or Assassin profession?

SartheKobold
2009-10-15, 07:29 PM
Wizard, or Beguiler with a scythe. SoL people from hiding and CdG. Win game.

This man speaks the truth... If you have money for items, Boots/Cloak of Elvenkind and if you have money to spend willy-nilly, an Eversmoking Bottle for utility smoke...

Stabby
2009-10-15, 07:46 PM
You mentioned Stats but not level or starting funds. It would help alot.

Kokaka
2009-10-16, 04:57 AM
When I mean Assassin its his profession. So it does not matter if he got the assassin class or not.

We will start at lvl 2 with 900gc, sorry I forgot to mention that.

The big problem with spellcasters in this game is that you have to sleep when you run out of spells. And since this is a pvp game, thats something you want to avoid because players can level away from you and also if you got bad luck, find you and kill you in your sleep.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-16, 07:21 AM
Sounds like a Warforged Warlock may be what you're looking for...

Eldariel
2009-10-16, 07:41 AM
Y'know, Wizard could survive with Rope Trick (through Precocious Apprentice), Sudden Extend and some caster level pimping. Since Rope Trick is Transmutation anyways, that's not even horrible (Trans has some other nice abilities too), though it does require flaws.

Heh. Water Orc Wizard with 22 Str, 16 Int, 20 Con, 18 Dex, 6 Wis & 6 Cha sounds interesting. Enlarge Person on yourself and go to town. Martial Wizard for Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Spiked Chain. Conjurer for Abrupt Jaunt, most likely (though Focused Transmuter for a bunch of level 2 slots would probably be good too; Wraithstrike!). Your +7 attacks for 2d4+9 are a match for anyone, and immediate action teleports mean you don't come to harm easily. You'll even have decent 16-19 HP (19 with Toad-familiar).

You could cross-class max Hide & Move Silently (better get Familiar with good Spot & Listen though; Owl is probably good), Reduce Person/Cat's Grace, jump up from behind people and rip them apart. Or Color Spray the face and CDG. Or Enlarge yourself and profit from your infinite reach AoOs.

EDIT: I wonder if there's something wrong with me when my idea of an "assassin" being a friggin' Water Orc Wizard :smalltongue:

JellyPooga
2009-10-16, 07:55 AM
I've always thought Rangers make quite good Assassins...Favoured Enemy gives you +2 damage vs. your FE at level 1 (which at lower levels isn't something to be sniffed at), increasing by +2 every 5 levels (and another +3 after level 5 if you take Improved Favoured Enemy).

There's a couple of Racial Substitution Levels which increase your FE bonus to +3 if you're willing to take FE against particular foes as well.

Then there's the 6+Int skill points and Track/Swift Tracker, which makes your target easier to find and deal with. Full BAB doesn't hurt either and neither does Camouflage and HiPS for when you want to remain hidden.

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-16, 07:59 AM
Bring some shapesand. If psionics are allowed, Hidden Talent to get psionic minor creation for a constant supply of black lotus poison.

Person_Man
2009-10-16, 08:34 AM
How exactly is this game going to be structured? Specifically, when you go to Hide or set a trap or cast a clever spell or whatever, will the other players know what you are doing? Will they be in another room? The metagame consequences should directly inform your build.

Kokaka
2009-10-16, 08:48 AM
How exactly is this game going to be structured? Specifically, when you go to Hide or set a trap or cast a clever spell or whatever, will the other players know what you are doing? Will they be in another room? The metagame consequences should directly inform your build.

There won't be any metagame since we will play over ventrilo and using gametable and msn, there won't be any metagaming at all.
We will all spawn in random rooms from a dungeon generator and we will play in turns, like open and clear one room is one "player round". We have also talked about that casters only need to sleep for two hours to regain spells.
Thats why I got the idea for an assassin type character. Using wand of cure light wounds for versetility and poison to inflict atribute damage.
BUT as long as its a fun character, heck it can even be a big barbarian, I don't care. As long it's fun and its good.

About the psionics. We will not be allowed to use them.

Mando Knight
2009-10-16, 10:51 AM
When I mean Assassin its his profession. So it does not matter if he got the assassin class or not.

Good, because the PrC isn't a good one, and you don't qualify for it anyway. A Ranger or Rogue would be best for a martial-type assassin, and either a Wizard or Sorcerer for a spellcasting one. Since you're at a pretty low level, I don't think Wizard would actually have much of an advantage over a Sorcerer yet...