PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Looking for a Construct to Awaken

Thurbane
2009-10-15, 08:13 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for some suggestions for an Awakened (as per the spell) Construct to use as an NPC in my campaign. Preferrably humanoid (so it can pose as a humanoid), medium or small, and as few HD as possible (so it can start taking class levels without having a massive CR/ECL). Cool special abilities and qualities would be a bonus.

...and yes, I am aware that Warforged meet all of the criteria above, but for plot reasons, it needs to be a construct that isn't normally sentient.

Also, a question: I'm not quite clear whether an Awakened construct gets retroactive feats and skill points for it's racial HD?

arguskos
2009-10-15, 08:37 PM
The Shardsoul Slayer (MMV) seems to work well here. It has 6 HD, is already imbued with a spark of proto-sentience, and is pretty close to humanoid (strange shape means not quite there, but it's closeish). Oh, and it's Medium. Just a thought.

Also, same book, the Force Golem could work. It's Large (IIRC), but it would be a good choice too.

JeminiZero
2009-10-15, 09:52 PM
Well, as far as minimising LA and faking humanoid shapes go, Medium Animated Objects (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Medium_Animated_Object) have only 2 HD and can be any shape you want. If you include a flexible component in their construction they can also get constrict.

Level 2 Astral constructs (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Astral_Construct) are also medium sized with 2 HD, and get one ability from Menu A. The manifester can make some craft check to make it look like something in particular, but it is still clearly made out of other worldly ectoplasm.

mabriss lethe
2009-10-15, 09:56 PM
an elder eidolon might be sort of neat. (lords of madness.)

Crafty Cultist
2009-10-15, 11:25 PM
the effigy template can be aplied to humanoids. pick one you like, make an effigy of it and awaken away

Deth Muncher
2009-10-15, 11:36 PM
Speaking of MMV, isn't there the Magmacore Golem? In addition to its low HD, it also has the benefit of being able to literally go nova when it dies, as well as the handy ability to lavafy some squares near it.

arguskos
2009-10-15, 11:40 PM
Speaking of MMV, isn't there the Magmacore Golem? In addition to its low HD, it also has the benefit of being able to literally go nova when it dies, as well as the handy ability to lavafy some squares near it.
Yeah, that one too. Though, being made of MAGMA has some issues with being in society, using gear, etc. That's why I suggested the Shardsoul Slayer. It's got hands even! You could probably get some armor for it if you were willing to pay for strangely shaped armor. It seems like the ideal construct for this, IMO.

Deth Muncher
2009-10-15, 11:41 PM
Yeah, that one too. Though, being made of MAGMA has some issues with being in society, using gear, etc. That's why I suggested the Shardsoul Slayer. It's got hands even! You could probably get some armor for it if you were willing to pay for strangely shaped armor. It seems like the ideal construct for this, IMO.

Hey, he says he wants this as an NPC, so who's to say society hasn't already conformed to random robots made of magma and magic?

arguskos
2009-10-15, 11:42 PM
Hey, he says he wants this as an NPC, so who's to say society hasn't already conformed to random robots made of magma and magic?
Still has issues wielding swords or wearing any magic gear. Don't want to melt your Belt of Str +awesome now do you? :smalltongue:

Then again, good point. I just really LIKE the Shardsouls.

Deth Muncher
2009-10-15, 11:47 PM
Still has issues wielding swords or wearing any magic gear. Don't want to melt your Belt of Str +awesome now do you? :smalltongue:

Then again, good point. I just really LIKE the Shardsouls.

PSHAW. You seem to think that he doesn't have flame/heat retardant enchantments on all of his items.

EDIT: I may actually have to go look them up now. Shardsouls, that is. It's been a while.

arguskos
2009-10-15, 11:51 PM
PSHAW. You seem to think that he doesn't have flame/heat retardant enchantments on all of his items.

EDIT: I may actually have to go look them up now. Shardsouls, that is. It's been a while.
Who's really gonna enchant the dude who's made of fire a sword? Really, you seem to think this gameworld has internally consistent rules we can just apply everywhere. :smalltongue:

Also, yes, yes go do that. :smallamused:

Sorry for jackin' yo thread Thurbane. We're just havin' some fun! :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2009-10-15, 11:57 PM
No problemo. :smallwink:

Ideally, the more humanoid the better - so that it has access to all (or most) of the standard magic item slots. I'd like to be able to stick a Hat of Disguise on it so it can pass for human.

Deth Muncher
2009-10-15, 11:57 PM
Who's really gonna enchant the dude who's made of fire a sword? Really, you seem to think this gameworld has internally consistent rules we can just apply everywhere. :smalltongue:

Also, yes, yes go do that. :smallamused:

Sorry for jackin' yo thread Thurbane. We're just havin' some fun! :smallbiggrin:

Yo Thurbane, this is a really awesome thread, and I'mma let you finish, but Argus Kos and I had the BEST thread derailment of ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME.

I'm sorry folks, I had to.

wykydtron
2009-10-16, 12:32 AM
Yo Thurbane, this is a really awesome thread, and I'mma let you finish, but Argus Kos and I had the BEST thread derailment of ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME.

I'm sorry folks, I had to.

This made my day. :smallsmile:

Grumman
2009-10-16, 12:34 AM
+1 vote for effigy.

Thurbane
2009-10-16, 01:59 AM
Yes, an Awakened Effigy of a human might be just the ticket. :smallsmile:

FerhagoRosewood
2009-10-16, 02:07 AM
On the same token, if the OP doesn't mind me using his thread to ask a question I've been wanting to know, is there a template for an Awakened Construct? Or at least the stats & LA for making a Construct Awakened?

Apologies for stepping on toes.

^^;

Grumman
2009-10-16, 02:19 AM
On the same token, if the OP doesn't mind me using his thread to ask a question I've been wanting to know, is there a template for an Awakened Construct? Or at least the stats & LA for making a Construct Awakened?
No LA or template is given, you just change the construct's mental scores. I would give it retroactive feats and skills, though.

Thurbane
2009-10-16, 02:39 AM

Apologies for stepping on toes.

^^;
No apologies necessary - it's a good question.

Bayar
2009-10-16, 04:35 AM
Yes, an Awakened Effigy of a human might be just the ticket. :smallsmile:

Damn, someone beat me to the humanlike cylons idea.

arguskos
2009-10-16, 04:39 AM
Ok, I'm seriously curious. Why, pray tell, are Warforged not acceptable, but an Awakened Effigy of a human is? I'm just curious what the difference really is, and what you need this for...? I can't think of anything that would really matter here, unless you just REALLY have to have the Construct type and not the (living) subtype. :smallconfused:

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-16, 11:25 AM
One of the dragon mags had low level constructs in it. Things like the tin, wood and paper golems.

Thurbane
2009-10-16, 11:30 AM
Flavor reasons mostly. Warforged don't exist in my (Greyhawk) campaign - neither do the other Eberron races. And I also want this NPC to be "unique", not a member of a widespread race.

JellyPooga
2009-10-16, 11:36 AM
Flavor reasons mostly. Warforged don't exist in my (Greyhawk) campaign - neither do the other Eberron races. And I also want this NPC to be "unique", not a member of a widespread race.

There's no reason you couldn't just use the rules for Warforged for this one particular character though is there? Just fluff that he was once a bog standard construct and got awakened.

Thurbane
2009-10-16, 07:06 PM
There's no reason you couldn't just use the rules for Warforged for this one particular character though is there? Just fluff that he was once a bog standard construct and got awakened.
True - but the Human Effigy would be ideal, as it can basically pass for human anyway. Also, it has true construct traits, rather than living construct, which will work better for my purposes.

Deth Muncher
2009-10-16, 07:15 PM
True - but the Human Effigy would be ideal, as it can basically pass for human anyway. Also, it has true construct traits, rather than living construct, which will work better for my purposes.

So you're looking for a Terminator.

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-16, 07:18 PM
Elementary, my dear Data:
http://drmikessteakdinner.com/uploads/data-from-star-trek.jpg

boomwolf
2009-10-16, 07:58 PM
No problemo. :smallwink:

Ideally, the more humanoid the better - so that it has access to all (or most) of the standard magic item slots. I'd like to be able to stick a Hat of Disguise on it so it can pass for human.

God, love pulling this trick with undead.

Anyways, I would have gone for cadaver collector, but other then a slightly humanoid construct, its against everything you ask for.