PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] arcane fusion: how to get it?

jiriku
2009-10-15, 09:57 PM
Assume I am a wizard. How can I gain access to arcane fusion and greater arcane fusion? There's gotta be a way.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-15, 10:23 PM
Extra Spell? There are probably other ways, but I'm lazy.

mabriss lethe
2009-10-15, 10:46 PM
I don't think extra spell will cut it. It's a spell that isn't on a wizard's list. It's specifically Sorcerer only.

You get access to its wizard equivalent by taking the quicken spell feat(the spell exists in the first place because sorcerers can't normally quicken).

From a anal-retentive DM point of view, I'd say the way a wizard gets this spell is to multiclass into sorcerer and take it once he can spontaneously cast 5th level spells.(possibly via mystic theurge) it would be too cracked in a wizard's hands.

a lenient or possibly brain damaged DM might allow you to learn a variant of it as a researched custom spell.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-15, 10:50 PM
I don't think extra spell will cut it. It's a spell that isn't on a wizard's list. It's specifically Sorcerer only.

That's why Extra Spell. The only limit on Extra Spell is that the spell must be at least one level lower. I won't argue RAI or houserules, but it certainly works by RAW.

DarthCyberWolf
2009-10-15, 11:03 PM
That's why Extra Spell. The only limit on Extra Spell is that the spell must be at least one level lower. I won't argue RAI or houserules, but it certainly works by RAW.

If a wizard can take that to learn a spell under the sorcerer's list, then what's stopping him from learning a spell from, say, the druid's or cleric's list?

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-15, 11:08 PM
Nothing, presumably. That's why it is so often houseruled.

Glimbur
2009-10-15, 11:19 PM
I seem to recall Recaster(a changeling PrC), and Wyrm Wizard (another PrC) often being touted as ways of getting this spell as a wizard. Too lazy to look them up thoug.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-15, 11:20 PM
Nothing, presumably. That's why it is so often houseruled.

Yeah, pretty much. It's one of those things that works by RAW, but your DM has a good chance of just saying "No.", I'd probably give it a 50% chance of being allowed.

BenTheJester
2009-10-15, 11:20 PM
Wyrm Wizard.

IIRC, you can add spells from ANY spell list.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-15, 11:22 PM
I seem to recall Recaster(a changeling PrC), and Wyrm Wizard (another PrC) often being touted as ways of getting this spell as a wizard. Too lazy to look them up thoug.

It does indeed work.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-16, 02:53 AM
If a wizard can take that to learn a spell under the sorcerer's list, then what's stopping him from learning a spell from, say, the druid's or cleric's list?

According to the FAQ, it's not allowed.

(yeah, I know, FAQ != RAW, but the answer to your question of what's stopping him is that the FAQ may)

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-16, 09:01 AM

These work wonderfully. Recaster is only 5 levels long too (and worth all 5). Wyrm Wizard is regarded as being worth 2, tops. You need to take them late game though if you want the Greater Arcane Fusion.

An Erudite with Spell to Power can get Arcane Fusion by stealing it from a friendly neighborhood Sorcerer.