PDA

View Full Version : Good DnD riddles.

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-16, 12:06 AM
Many of us, in our campaigns, or as a player, come across riddles that we implement, or make, in whatever quest/dungeon we are in.

What kind of riddles have you used in the past? And how did you/ the PCs, solve them? (If applicable)

Deth Muncher
2009-10-16, 12:09 AM
This has come up on these very forums before, about a month or two ago. Take a looksee for that thread.

Now, onto your question. You're gonna get two responses: none, or you'll get an actual response.

The issue most people have with riddles is that quite often, the riddle is dealt with metagame - meaning that the players know the answer almost instantly, but the characters have absolutely no way of knowing. So watch out for that.

For good riddles, I'd try to stay away from staple ones, or the ones from nerd sources (What have I got in my pocket?). I'd say get a Big Book O' Mensa Mind Challenges and go to town.

Lycan 01
2009-10-16, 12:32 AM
The party finds that where there should be a door, there is instead a solid rock wall. Sculpted into the wall is the head of a fierce lion, with its mouth open and its tongue hanging out thirstily. Around the statue is there is an inscription:

HZXIRURXV GSV XZIIRVI LU ORUV

Let them figure it out from there. :smallbiggrin:

Can ya'll figure it out? :smallconfused:

The letters are inverted. You take the alphabet, and flip it. A becomes Z, B becomes Y, et cetera. The answer to the riddle is "blood", btw. They really need to only sprinkle some fresh, warm blood over the lions tongue, though don't bother correcting them if they try to sacrifice somebody to it or something over-the-top. :smallamused: Heh heh heh...

Once the riddle is solved, the lion's head will roar, and then crumple into dust along with most of the wall, revealing an exit.