PDA

View Full Version : A Question about a Suboptimal Character [3.5]

OMG PONIES
2009-10-16, 10:38 AM
So, I'm playing an elven cleric who thinks he's a wizard, and I had a few questions about his schtick:

1. I'm using the Divine Magician variant (Complete Mage). Does this technically allow him to cast "arcane spells," or does it simply add wizard spells to his divine class list? I'm thinking the second, but wanted to check.

2. I'm also using the Spell Domain for access to Anyspell (Spell Compendium). Are these spells considered arcane, or is it simply a divine spell that mimicks the effect of an arcane spell?

3. Could I use Spontaneous Domain Casting and Versatile Spellcaster (...Races of the Dragon?) to use my lower-level slots to cast Anyspell? Or do I have to spontaneously cast actual arcane spells?

Tavar
2009-10-16, 10:43 AM
In order, The second, the second, don't have the book so I don't know.

You might also consider looking into getting the Magic domain, as it would allow you to use arcane scrolls and completion items.

OMG PONIES
2009-10-16, 11:28 AM
I considered that domain, but since this is for a dungeon crawl with bits of PvP, I'm not sure exactly how many scrolls, etc. I'll find lying around. We're also limited to how much gear we can start with.

Kylarra
2009-10-16, 11:29 AM
Well... you'll need either a spellbook or scrolls for the use of anyspell anyway, and buying a spellbook with spells already scribed is gonna be prohibitively expensive considering your marginal use.

sonofzeal
2009-10-16, 11:35 AM
1) Adds to the divine list, but ask your DM

2) Still divine, but ask your DM

3) The spells actually have to be arcane, not just spells normally on the arcane list. It's a matter of power source, not what you're doing with the power.

jiriku
2009-10-16, 11:36 AM
You actually have to prep and cast anyspell as a divine spell, and the resulting spell prepared in your domain slot is also divine, despite coming from an arcane source. It's kind of a drag.

On a positive note, if you can talk your DM into the Initiate of Mystra feat, that allows you to spontaneously cast anyspell and greater anyspell from any of your spell slots. It's still a 15-minute cast per spell, however.

mem0man
2009-10-16, 11:39 AM
If it really comes into question the Magic domain and UMD skill granted lets you cast either or whenever you want for the cost of scrolls.

OMG PONIES
2009-10-16, 12:02 PM
I'm pretty sure the DM is letting me have a spellbook free of charge. :smallbiggrin:

I'll have to check out Initiate of Mystra, though I've heard some kneejerk reactions that it's overpowered cheesy munchinkry, etc.

JeenLeen
2009-10-16, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty sure the DM is letting me have a spellbook free of charge. :smallbiggrin:

I'm curious to hear how he thinks he's a wizard. The power source of arcane and divine magic differ substantially, spellbook study and arcane knowledge vs prayer/meditation and divine gifts, plus the use of a divine focus instead of arcane material components.
Although maybe they could be the same for a god of magic and/or knowledge. Is it a mental derangment?

If so, you could have a 'spellbook' that is fake, written in gibberish but has a holy symbol on it, that you think is a real spellbook. No-one would know it's gibberish unless they tried to decipher it, though, since every wizard uses an individual shorthand.
The Chameleon PrC, IIRC, has such a spellbook, so there is a prior example of such.

As for your questions, I believe it makes them divine versions of an arcane spell. Similarly, I think Anyspell mimics arcane spells, much like Miracle could be used to mimic an arcane spell. I'm not familiar with the feats mentioned, so I cannot help there.

valadil
2009-10-16, 01:43 PM
I played a character like this. It was awesome. Probably in my top 3 favorite characters ever.

2. My GM ruled that spells from Anyspell counted as arcane. Your GM may say otherwise. Even if you do find a rule on this matter, it's probably up to your GM.

I went with magic and force domain. Also had knowledge because I was a cloistered cleric (which makes a lot of sense for a wizard flavored cleric). I used spontaneity for the force domain pretty much all the time. Lots of magic missiles and resilient spheres.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-10-16, 02:19 PM
For 3, Anyspell specifically says it has to be in your domain spell slot, so spontaneously casting it won't exactly work.

Have you considered playing an Archivist (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) instead? They can get access to nearly every spell in the game (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872558/Lowest_level_versions_of_spells), use a spellbook like a wizard, and have Int-based spellcasting.

Eloel
2009-10-16, 02:30 PM
For 3, Anyspell specifically says it has to be in your domain spell slot, so spontaneously casting it won't exactly work.

Have you considered playing an Archivist (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) instead? They can get access to nearly every spell in the game (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872558/Lowest_level_versions_of_spells), use a spellbook like a wizard, and have Int-based spellcasting.

But they can't specialize.

:smallconfused: Wait, that didn't make any sense.