PDA

View Full Version : You get one free template, what would it be?

Sploosh
2009-10-16, 11:06 AM
If you were given the option of having a single free template (baring cheese) without any LA with an unknown level bracket, what would you lean towards?
Why did you pick that one?

Kylarra
2009-10-16, 11:09 AM
What's defined as cheese here? Could I take Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm) or Pseudonatural (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/pseudonaturalCreature.htm)?

Mongoose87
2009-10-16, 11:11 AM
What's defined as cheese here? Could I take Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm) or Pseudonatural (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/pseudonaturalCreature.htm)?

I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT!!!!!!!!111111ONE

Tavar
2009-10-16, 11:12 AM
Well, the half-x templates give good stat buffs, more mobility(fly speed), imunities, and some decent spell like abilities, so they make the shortlist.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-16, 11:16 AM
Dry Lich, Lich, Ghost, Vampire, et cetera.
So I can haz immortality.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-16, 11:18 AM
1/2 Celestial with LA is totally worth it.
1/2 Dragons is pretty decent with no LA, but I get dragon aids and who wants that.
Elite Template (from Warcraft d20) is pretty sweet: x2 hps, bonuses to stats, etc.

Siegel
2009-10-16, 11:20 AM
Is there a Template that makes me psionic ? Phrenic maybe ?

Sploosh
2009-10-16, 11:21 AM

I'd say cheese would be a point where your template ultimately does the work for you, or raises you a few tiers up by itself. Of course, that means it is totally dependent on who you group with.

Kylarra
2009-10-16, 11:21 AM
Is there a Template that makes me psionic ? Phrenic maybe ?Phrenic preempts you from taking psionic classes though. :(

Phrenic is suggested to not be for characters that level up via class.

edited for clarity

quiet1mi
2009-10-16, 11:27 AM
I would take either ghost or Lich... who cares about power if you can never truly be beaten...

Eventually I will roll 20s and you will only roll 1s...

Aron Times
2009-10-16, 12:02 PM
Can we use 4E templates?

If so, I want the vampire lord template. Immortality with very few weaknesses (sunlight is only a minor inconvenience to vampire lords in 4E).

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-16, 12:13 PM
Phrenic preempts you from taking psionic classes though. :(

Whatever you're smoking, I want some. That s*** must be strong!

Phrenic doesn't prevent you from taking levels in Psionic classes. In fact, only a handful of abilities can do this. Off the top of my head, the Karsite race is the only one I can think of that prevents you from taking levels in a type of class.

tyckspoon
2009-10-16, 12:15 PM
Phrenic preempts you from taking psionic classes though. :(

No, it doesn't. It *suggests* that Phrenic not be used for a psionic classed character. There's no rule preventing you from doing both anyway, and mechanically Phrenic is a really nice adjunct to a psionic class. You just have to make sure you don't have the (psionic) subtype before you apply Phrenic.. and since you pick race before class, that's as easy as making your race Phrenic Human or whatever. Only thing it really bars is the naturally psionic XPH races.

Kylarra
2009-10-16, 12:16 PM
Whatever you're smoking, I want some. That s*** must be strong!

Phrenic doesn't prevent you from taking levels in Psionic classes. In fact, only a handful of abilities can do this. Off the top of my head, the Karsite race is the only one I can think of that prevents you from taking levels in a type of class.Well it doesn't explicitly prevent you, but going by, y'know, actual description of the template it would generally preempt you from having it as a normal character. :smalltongue:

creatures who advance by character class are usually not phrenic creatures—they simply take levels in a psionic class to hone their mental powers.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-16, 12:20 PM
Well it doesn't explicitly prevent you, but going by, y'know, actual description of the template it would generally preempt you from having it as a normal character. :smalltongue:

That's flavor. It's entirely possible for a Psionic character to have the template and levels in a manifesting class (in fact, the benefits make it a fair trade for some characters). It doesn't say "You cannot have this template and levels in a Psionic base class", it says "Psionic characters usually do not have this template".

Athaniar
2009-10-16, 12:22 PM
Is there any such thing as a normal character?

And for my one template, I choose Paragon, aka Superhero.

Gnaeus
2009-10-16, 12:25 PM
I'll take half-vampire please.

Charm gaze at will would be awesome. Add a little bit of damage reduction + fast healing should I ever manage to be injured. A little boost to strength, dexterity (and reflexes, with improved initiative) and charisma. The cold resistance 5 would be nice too.

And you still look human, even more attractive, just a bit pale.

Edit: Ooh, you're right. Paragon is nice. I suppose I might even drop my charm person gaze with +13 charisma.

Tavar
2009-10-16, 12:36 PM
Note that Paragon and Pseudonatural both lack La lines, thus signifying that they are not for players.

Optimystik
2009-10-16, 12:37 PM

Rather than the uber-b0rked Epic templates, why not use the regular versions? For example, there's a much more reasonable Pseudonatural template in Complete Arcane if you want to go all Chthulhian horror on a smaller scale.

Averagedog
2009-10-16, 12:44 PM
considering that hit dice factor into LA, I would take werebear and proceed to make mincemeet out of most equal CR enemies 1 on 1 because ya know, one template la is free :P

but since ignoring the HD is cheese, I will most likely be a Half Dragon Goliath and take advantage of the massive strength bonus for awesome grapple checks and damage and the wings to perform aerial suplexes after I pin the enemy in mid air.

Zaydos
2009-10-16, 12:44 PM
I'd say Half-Dragon just because I love dragons. Or Half-Fiend because I love playing half-fiends (either evil to the core, or redeemed). Unholy Scion from Heroes of Horror might be a nice change compared to half-fiend (it's LA +5 usually scares me off especially since they seem more magical based than half-fiends), and Half-Farspawn could also be real fun.

Right now probably an unholy scion wizard of some sort who seeks to conquer the world with an army of undead and fiendish minions and possibly bring on Hell on the Prime... actually that sounds like a fun BBEG even if over done.

Half-Farspawn would make a good barbarian of some sort, blindsight and high Con, mwahaha! Plus touch of idiocy for those annoying magic-users.

Myrmex
2009-10-16, 12:45 PM
considering that hit dice factor into LA, I would take werebear and proceed to make mincemeet out of most equal CR enemies 1 on 1 because ya know, one template la is free :P

but since ignoring the HD is cheese, I will most likely be a Half Dragon Goliath and take advantage of the massive strength bonus for awesome grapple checks and damage and the wings to perform aerial suplexes after I pin the enemy in mid air.

HD != LA

asdgsdgsdfgasdf

JellyPooga
2009-10-16, 12:45 PM
I'd probably end up taking the Shadow Walker template. Not, perhaps, that "optimal", but Darkness, Dimension Door and Shadow Walk as SLAs, amongst others, is just cool.

If not that then I'd probably take something peculiar like Insectile...hooray for extra arms!

Tar Palantir
2009-10-16, 12:56 PM
Dry Lich all the way. A Dry Lich Sorcerer without LA would be perfectly SAD, as long as you don't use ranged touch attacks (Dry Lich has Unholy Toughness, using Cha instead of Con for HP). Add in awesome touch attack, fantastic DR, a laundry list of immunities, and near-immortality, and we have a winner.

Glimbur
2009-10-16, 01:06 PM
Half-Fey. Is it so wrong to want Cha bonuses and giant butterfly wings?

Zincorium
2009-10-16, 01:06 PM
Umbral.

I can haz spawn plz?

Athaniar
2009-10-16, 01:10 PM
Which book is Dry Lich from?

Amphetryon
2009-10-16, 01:11 PM
Which book is Dry Lich from?

Sandstorm.

Kylarra
2009-10-16, 01:15 PM
Rather than the uber-b0rked Epic templates, why not use the regular versions? For example, there's a much more reasonable Pseudonatural template in Complete Arcane if you want to go all Chthulhian horror on a smaller scale.I will confess to just going for random powerful templates I could link easily and legally. :smallredface:

Ravens_cry
2009-10-16, 01:15 PM
Dry Lich all the way. A Dry Lich Sorcerer without LA would be perfectly SAD, as long as you don't use ranged touch attacks (Dry Lich has Unholy Toughness, using Cha instead of Con for HP). Add in awesome touch attack, fantastic DR, a laundry list of immunities, and near-immortality, and we have a winner.
Don't Dry Lichs have to stay away from water? Immortality has it's advantages, but I love rain and the ocean too much to be forced to stay in the desert for all eternity, or to have an 'I'm melting!' moment to any adventurer with a bucket.
Paragon sounds nice. Not immortal, but what a mortal!

Tavar
2009-10-16, 01:17 PM
Don't Dry Lichs have to stay away from water? Immortality has it's advantages, but I love rain and the ocean too much to be forced to stay in the desert for all eternity, or to have an 'I'm melting!' moment to any adventurer with a bucket.
Paragon sounds nice. Not immortal, but what a mortal!

Be an Elan as the base creature. There's your immortality.

GoC
2009-10-16, 01:20 PM
Flavor-wise:
5. Paragon-Superhero!
4. Vampire-:smallredface:
3. Pseudonatural-Cthulhu!
2. Half-dragon-:smallcool:
1. Titanic-:smallcool::smallcool::smallcool:

Ravens_cry
2009-10-16, 01:21 PM
Be an Elan as the base creature. There's your immortality.
Trouble is, by the OP, I already 'picked' my base creature by being born. Otherwise I would, I totally would be a Paragon of Elanhood.

LibraryOgre
2009-10-16, 01:22 PM
If you were given the option of having a single free template (baring cheese) without any LA with an unknown level bracket, what would you lean towards?
Why did you pick that one?

Deific Rank 30.

As for why, the real question is "Why am I the first to say it?"

Masaioh
2009-10-16, 01:23 PM
Spellborg or half-farspawn. I'm not listing the super-OP templates, because those are the obvious choices.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-16, 01:26 PM
Deific Rank 30.

Because that's not a template, that's an effect.

Siosilvar
2009-10-16, 01:26 PM
Deific Rank 30.

That's... not exactly a template.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

The Glyphstone
2009-10-16, 01:27 PM
Deific Rank 30.

Because everyone else actually named a real template? Divine Rank isn't a template, though it shares a lot of traits with them.

On-topic: +1 for Paragon. For actual games, though, depends on what I'm playing. A caster would love Spellwarped or Phrenic, a sneaker loves Shadow Creature, for melee I'd want Feral and/or Mineral Warrior probably.

Flickerdart
2009-10-16, 01:27 PM
Half-Fey. Is it so wrong to want Cha bonuses and giant butterfly wings?
It says insectile, not butterfly. Freakin' awesome dragonfly wings are what it's all about.

Yukitsu
2009-10-16, 01:29 PM
Trouble is, by the OP, I already 'picked' my base creature by being born. Otherwise I would, I totally would be a Paragon of Elanhood.

Elan is a non-template acquired race, so that wouldn't be entirely out of the question.

I'd go with vampire. Boat loads of abilities, and to be honest, I'm not likely to get any class levels with spell casting anyway.

Myrmex
2009-10-16, 01:29 PM
It says insectile, not butterfly. Freakin' awesome dragonfly wings are what it's all about.

A butterfly is an insect. A butterfly has wings. Therefore, a butterfly's wings could be described as "insectile".

Optimystik
2009-10-16, 01:34 PM

And then I pee on you and you die horribly.

I'm a fan of living construct, because then I could just make a few tiny modifications and boom, I can interface with machines and computers. That's more of a subtype though. Is there a template version?

Tempest Fennac
2009-10-16, 01:35 PM
If I could pick any one I'd go with Monster of Legend with the Cleric spells, perminant Haste and Fast Healing 5 special abilities. Sadly, I don't qualify for that normally due to being a human, so I'd go with Werewolf Lord if I could avoid the pointless "Always Chaotic Evil" alignment. If I couldn't I'd pick Tauric (Dire Wolf) so that I'd be part animal as a result of the change.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-16, 01:36 PM
@Flickerdart, Glimbur:
Jeez Louise with a French Pea Geas.
*rolls eyes*
If you want butterfly wings, you get butterfly wings. If you want dragonfly wings, you get dragonfly wings.
If you want wings like a Twenty-plume Moth (http://i1.treknature.com/photos/2985/dscn0652ecs.jpg), you get wings like a Twenty-plume Moth.

DarthCyberWolf
2009-10-16, 03:26 PM
How about a Worm That Walks?

...what?

Nai_Calus
2009-10-16, 03:52 PM
3.5: Half-Celestial, for fluff reasons.
4e: Feytouched, also for fluff reasons.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-16, 03:56 PM

...what?
Ain't seen a worm yet with wings, cept' wyrms as in dragons that is.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-16, 04:00 PM

...what?

A little disgusting much, no? Not exactly a clean guy.

I forgot Phrenic from XPH. The psionic template is great. I played a Human Phrenic Monk 2/Psion X once. He was awesome. I grappled and beat a mindflayer (Grip of Iron) after rest of party was stunned from mind blast. We might have died otherwise.

Fhaolan
2009-10-16, 04:02 PM
One free template? My wife'd pick Tauric (horse), as she's exceptionally fond of playing centaurs.

Me, lycanthrope (wolf). Heck, there wouldn't even be an alignment change. *grin*

SoD
2009-10-16, 04:10 PM
One template? Free? Multi-headed. It'll be good to have my other head back.

The Endbringer Xaraphim
2009-10-16, 04:57 PM
Hmm...

I'd take half red dragon, then go on a rebuild quest to make my base race troll. Then I'd get a ring of major acid resistance and a ring of major cold resistance.

It's not invulnerable, mind, but it is pretty durable.

Barring that I'd take the half-drow template from Plot and Poison, then rebuild my base race as a Moon Elf from the Forgotten Realms because elves is sexeh and drow is sexeh +4.

Fax Celestis
2009-10-16, 05:03 PM
Half-fey, hands down. Blanket immunity to enchantment, charm person at will, Cha boosts, natural Ex fly speed, and a bucket of SLAs based on HD.

Danin
2009-10-16, 08:11 PM
Baring alignment restrictions? Probably a vampire lord. Immortality? Check. Host of cool abilities? Check. None of the real draw backs? Check. I mean, come on; playing as a vampire that rivals Dracul himself for power and smiting his sorry arse as a Paladin? Yes please.

That or Good Arch Dragon. If I got that for free, I'd play a dragon in a heart beat.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-16, 08:18 PM
Demilich. I'm tempted by both Vampire Lord and Paragon, but no. Demilich is the way to go... much better immortality, magic immunity, various at will abilities, incredible bonuses, oh and I eat souls.

Nerocite
2009-10-16, 08:31 PM
Death Knight.

Dixieboy
2009-10-16, 09:11 PM
+1 to demilich.

I like my body, but i think I wouldn't mind losing it for those awesome abilities.

Harperfan7
2009-10-16, 10:37 PM
Half-fey for me (just use illusion to hide those wings), or just take my "one free template" and give it to a girlfriend for half-nymph.

Prak
2009-10-16, 11:28 PM
I'd probably end up taking the Shadow Walker template. Not, perhaps, that "optimal", but Darkness, Dimension Door and Shadow Walk as SLAs, amongst others, is just cool.

If not that then I'd probably take something peculiar like Insectile...hooray for extra arms!

you know what's fun? an insectile thri-kreen that you some how convince the dm to let then obtain the akatsukai template (more extra arms). Maybe give it levels of Fang of Lolth (found the amulet while munching on a drow), giving it even more arms, and then get up to epic level and buy returning triple throw shurikens with all the (energy-y) blast enchantments.

As for me, as much as I love the cheese of Paragon, Epic Psuedonatural, Demi-lich*, and so forth (even Monster of Legend, to some degree), I think I have to echo Fhaolan and say Lycanthrope, but go Dire Wolf, instead of normal wolf, so that I can have the "Big Badass Wolf" trope.

*I had a "great" idea, if you apply the Demi lich template to an awakened male "lower" mammal, you could actually have a demi lich that is a jeweled baculum.

donthaveone83
2009-10-16, 11:34 PM
Dunno...its a fairly even tossup between Half Fey and Phrenic for me. I love the spell likes/psi-likes from both...but I think I'd go Phrenic, it just speaks to me more than half fey. Plus, Fission! =D

The Tygre
2009-10-17, 12:12 AM
Beast of the Apcoalypse.

Screw the rest of you; I'll see you all at the end of the world.

Glyde
2009-10-17, 12:15 AM
Saint. Other templates don't really interest me, and Saint has just enough to make me *reeeeally* want it.

Xenogears
2009-10-17, 12:17 AM
I'd definately hafta go for Paragon. Nothing like free +15 to all stats, triple speed, and all the other assortment of goodies for it.

Other possibilities are half-dragon for awesomeness (note not mechanically speaking of course), vampire since there is no way i'll ever take that much LA normally, or possibly woodling so i can be made of tree matter.

Demons_eye
2009-10-17, 01:17 AM
Top 3 would be

Spellwarped
half-X
Legendary

Thrawn183
2009-10-17, 01:41 AM
Well, if I could get my base creature to be large sized (half-giant I guess) or just ignore that lycanthropy has to be within one size category, I give you:

Lycanthrope: Werebattletitan

+36d8 HD
+20 natural armor
+27 BAB
2 claws (2d4) and 1 bite (2d6), this is before feats
Improved grab (bite)
Swallow Whole (2d8+12 bludgeoning, 12 acid and DC 37 Fortitude save or nauseated
DR 10/Silver
Low-light Vision
Scent
Fort +20, Ref +18, Will +12
Str +16, Con +9, Wis +2
Feats: Armor Proficiency (light, medium, heavy), Cleave, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (bite, claw), Improved Overrun, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Multiattack, Power Attack, Run
Some skill points

You end up pretty much unstoppable by anything less than an army. And by army I mean the army of a fully developed nation, not just any 'ole army.

golentan
2009-10-17, 01:45 AM
I'd probably grab Fetch (not the normal fetch people think about, the half ghost template that shares it's name). I like the disembodiment, the telekinesis, and all the other stuff that comes with it. Or, if I can ignore the alignment requirements, worm that walks. I could clean myself up a bit, and the SLAs and awesomesauce abilities would be worth it.

Dixieboy
2009-10-17, 08:19 AM
Saint. Other templates don't really interest me, and Saint has just enough to make me *reeeeally* want it.

Being a saint would be really, really boring.

Fluffles
2009-10-17, 09:52 AM
Dire Werebear. (AKA; Werebear Lord)

+12 HD, +20 Str, and other goodies. I'm mostly interested in the +20 strength.