PDA

View Full Version : What is SoD?

RndmNumGen
2009-10-16, 12:10 PM
I've seen several references to it on these forums, but I'm not exactly sure what it is. Search didn't help any, since SoD is too short...

Douglas
2009-10-16, 12:11 PM
Start of Darkness, one of the prequel Order of the Stick books.

hamishspence
2009-10-16, 12:12 PM
Start of Darkness- it's a prequel to the main strip, and Eugene, Xykon, and Redcloak, as well as the Monster in the Darkness, appear.

EDIT: Ninjaed.

Monzach
2009-10-16, 12:12 PM
I've seen several references to it on these forums, but I'm not exactly sure what it is. Search didn't help any, since SoD is too short...

SoD is the OOTS prequel Start of Darkness, wherein we learn of the pre-OOTS lives of all our favourite villains. :)

Athaniar
2009-10-16, 12:18 PM
It's awesome, that's what it is. Buy it, read it, and bask in Xykon's awesomeness.

Elfin
2009-10-16, 12:43 PM
It's awesome, that's what it is. Buy it, read it, and bask in Xykon's awesomeness.

Seconded. It's great.

Haven
2009-10-16, 12:44 PM
It's something that, if you don't buy, you'll be tormented forever by wondering how some cotton candy is responsible for everything that's happened in the strip so far. Okay, maybe that was a bit of a stretch, but it's for his own damn good.

FoE
2009-10-16, 12:54 PM

Awesomeness is not what I'd call it.

But if you were somehow clinging to the belief that Xykon was a nice person, Start of Darkness will set you to rights.

Cleverdan22
2009-10-16, 01:03 PM
Awesomeness is not what I'd call it.

But if you were somehow clinging to the belief that Xykon was a nice person, Start of Darkness will set you to rights.

Evil can be awesome. It certainly is at some times in the book.

But yeah, buy it. Worth every digital credit card penny.

TehSheen
2009-10-16, 02:53 PM
Start of Darkness is worth every single penny you pay for it. Every. Single. Penny.

Dark Faun
2009-10-16, 03:07 PM
Additionally, OtOoPCs stands for On the Origin of PCs (prequel about the Order), DCF for Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, NCftPB for No Cure for the Paladin Blues and WaXPs for War and XPs (compilations of the comic with commentary and bonus strips).

Optimystik
2009-10-16, 03:10 PM
Evil can be awesome. It certainly is at some times in the book.

And good can be dumb. Oh lord, can good be dumb.

Lirian and Dorukan, I'm looking at you

Berserk Monk
2009-10-16, 06:56 PM
It's an awesome prequel book to the OotS story that almost won an award but it was up against an Alan Moore work so you know, it would be like a level 10 PC going up against a half-dragon, half-fiendish, lycanthrope, vampire tarrasque.

FoE
2009-10-16, 08:13 PM
It still should have won that Eagle Award. SoD was up against the Black Dossier, fer cryin' out loud. The Black Dossier was a good read, but it ain't going down in the annals of legendary graphic novels. SoD was one of the best stories I ever read.

God (or whatever the hell he worships) bless Alan Moore, his marvelous mind and his fantastic contributions to the comic book medium, but that doesn't mean we should worship the ground he walks on.

Oh well. I guess if Rich was won, he'd have probably gotten a job writing comics and we'd be out an Order of the Stick.

Meg
2009-10-16, 08:18 PM
It's very good. I would recommend buying it, or if your family wouldn't mock you for asking for a print-exclusive prequel book to a stick figure web comic based on DnD mechanics, like mine, asking for it for the next gift-giving occasion in your life.