PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted] Designing NPCs -.-

Weimann
2009-10-16, 03:18 PM
Here's the problem. I run an on-and-off, now-and-then, one-on-one Exalted game over MSN with a guy I know. We are both newcomers, but by virtue of being marginally more knowledgeable about the system, I am the ST.

Being a bit uncertain about the setting, the PC was a bit reluctant to form the game much, so we agreed that we'd play in a rather story-bound style. We play a Dragon-Blooded game, where we fight other Dragon-Blooded. Basically, the PC is a seductress/assassin, looking to rebel against the Realm. This of course requires quite a few key NPCs, not to mention villains, smaller villains and extras.

Designing those people... seem like a piece of work. Some extras are listed in core, which is good for fight scenes, but I would also like to have stats for "social extras" so to speak. Furthermore, I am terrible at balancing villains.

So, question: is there anywhere where I could find some prerolled extras or statted out examples of characters of different power level? If not, are there any general advice about how power (both mental and physical) can be meaningfully quantified?

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-16, 03:23 PM
I would suggest against fully statting out any NPC except for the plot-crucial ones. Just have a basic understanding of the traits the player will come across and how deep they are in each ability tree, and you'll be fine.

Indon
2009-10-16, 03:26 PM
The way I make quick NPC's:

Mortals : 3-4 in any given applicable stat pool.
Elite Mortals: 5-6 in any given stat pool.
Heroic Mortals, young God-blooded and Dragon Kings: 7-8 in any given stat pool.
Paragon Mortals, God-Blooded, Dragon Kings, young Terrestrials: 9-10 in any given stat pool.
Older Terrestrials, Young Celestials: 11-15 in any given stat pool.

If it's a skill they'd be specialized in, add 2-3 dice. If it's something they wouldn't be good at, subtract 2-3 dice. For designed weaknesses, subtract 5 dice.

Weimann
2009-10-16, 03:48 PM
I would suggest against fully statting out any NPC except for the plot-crucial ones. Just have a basic understanding of the traits the player will come across and how deep they are in each ability tree, and you'll be fine.That is still a bit murky to me. The problem is just that; that I don't have a very good feeling for what actual values might be appropriate for every type of character. But if I read you right, you are basically saying "handwave extras, decide a couple of charms for lieutenants and stat out the bosses." Did I get that right? :)
The way I make quick NPC's:

Mortals : 3-4 in any given applicable stat pool.
Elite Mortals: 5-6 in any given stat pool.
Heroic Mortals, young God-blooded and Dragon Kings: 7-8 in any given stat pool.
Paragon Mortals, God-Blooded, Dragon Kings, young Terrestrials: 9-10 in any given stat pool.
Older Terrestrials, Young Celestials: 11-15 in any given stat pool.

If it's a skill they'd be specialized in, add 2-3 dice. If it's something they wouldn't be good at, subtract 2-3 dice. For designed weaknesses, subtract 5 dice.That's some good advice, Indon, thanks for them. Do you have any similar ideas on DVs and other defenses, and on static values in general?

Indon
2009-10-16, 05:20 PM
DV's are 50% of what would be their die pools if you rolled them (since with the rule of 10's, statistically you get a roughly 50% success rate). I'd set the major DV for a character at about 2/3'rds of their pool, and the minor at 50% of their pool.

Dodge is Dex+Dodge+Essence/2, and Parry is Dex+Dodge+Defense/2.

Mortals have an Essence of 1, so mortals will tend to use Parry as their major DV (but not necessarily heroic mortals who can have up to 3 Essence). Martial artists will tend towards Dodge as their major DV. Other than that, go by flavor.

Weimann
2009-10-16, 05:46 PM
Wondeful ^^ thanks a lot, I shall imagine this will lighten my burden ^^

Tengu_temp
2009-10-16, 06:37 PM
Storyteller's Companion has simplified rules for creating NPCs, as well as pre-made stats for several generic ones for each type of Exalted. Apart from Infernals, they weren't out yet.

Weimann
2009-10-16, 06:41 PM
Mmm, I've seen those, but they all seem so high level. Like, Willpower 7 and Artifact 9 and crap.

I'd like to test the waters with stuff I know won't be instakill for my first-timing, solo PC.

Tengu_temp
2009-10-16, 07:25 PM
High level? Willpower 7 is perfectly reasonable for any starting Exalt. So are 9 dots in Artifacts, for non-Solars.

Weimann
2009-10-16, 07:42 PM
See, this is what I'm talking about :P

I really have no perspective :P

Weimann
2009-10-16, 08:01 PM
Here's an example of a character I tossed together. He is supposed to be a mobster type, a bit off the streets so to speak, and introduce the PC to an organization bent on ruining the Realm. He is their employed "fixer".

Rising Tide (Water Aspect)
Essence 2 (9 personal, 22 peripheral)
Com 2, Con 3, Temp 4, Val 2
Willpower 7

Join Combat: 4

Physical Attack Roll (Martial Arts): 9
PDV: 6
DDV: 4

Mental Attack Roll (Presence): 7
DMDV 4
PMDV 3

Charms:

First Martial Arts Excellency, Currents Sweep To Sea, Pounding Surf Style, Flow From The Rocks, Blade Deflecting Palm

Bureaucracy: Confluence of Savant Thought

Investigation: Scent-Of-Crime Method, Falsehood-Unearthing Technique

Larency: Second Larency Excellency

Resistance: Ox-Body Technique

He is supposed to be a rather strong fellow, about on par with the "bosses" I plan to introduce. He might help the PC out in battle at times, but in the end she might also end up fighting him.

How does he look? Have I forgotten anyhting crucial? Is he too simplified?

Edit: I should mention that the PC has an attack roll of 10, and a social attack roll of 8. Her highest DVs are DDV 5 and DMDV 4. She has recieved a buttload of extra charms to help cover for her having no friends, so she sits on a good chunk of xp, but nothing focused. Also, she's rather clueless about the details of the mechanics yet :P

Indon
2009-10-17, 09:41 AM
A fair low-power Dragon Blood, and frankly, slightly more fleshed-out than some of the NPC's I use, heh.