PDA

View Full Version : [any] DM handing out character sheets

weenie
2009-10-16, 03:40 PM
Would you play in a game where the DM would create all the characters and then give them to the players? Where the DM would decide when characters level up, what classes do they take levels in and every other thing that players usually decide? I'm asking this, because I'm planning on starting a 3.5 E6(http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=352719) campaign and was interested in taking a different approach to it.

Flickerdart
2009-10-16, 03:43 PM
If you're DMing for beginner players, I don't see a problem with this, so long as they get some input into the process (I want to kill things better! or I want to do something that's not just killing things!). For experienced players, a lot of them might be rather peeved that you're taking control away from them, especially if you're doing it in a poor, underpowered way. Those that aren't optimizers will equally be chafed in regard to this being detrimental to their character's development. I'd recommend against it.

The J Pizzel
2009-10-16, 03:45 PM
Oddly enough, my boss and I were just talking about this. He played DnD way back in his high school days and said that's what they did.

On topic, I only make pre-generated characters for my players when it's going to be a one shot. I wouldn't expect my players to play a long running campaign with a character they didn't create. They just wouldn't have the love for the character like they would if it was their own original idea.

So to answer your question, I'd play in a one-shot where the DM handed me my character. Hell, I'd probably play in a campaign too, but I'd much rather make my own.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-16, 03:46 PM
Would you play in a game where the DM would create all the characters and then give them to the players? Where the DM would decide when characters level up, what classes do they take levels in and every other thing that players usually decide? I'm asking this, because I'm planning on starting a 3.5 E6(http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=352719) campaign and was interested in taking a different approach to it.

I've played and ran games where the dm creates the characters. Usually these were 1 time things.. but we did have a mini campaign going and it went well. The players however.. were allowed to level their characters up to their choosing.

Premade characters are fine by me, the dm making every mechanical choice is not... give the players a little freedom IMO

-Wrath

Oracle_Hunter
2009-10-16, 03:47 PM
OK, let's break this down.

(1) DM creates all the characters and gives them to the Players
Yes. This is known as using Pre-Generated Characters and is uncontroversial.

(2) DM makes all decisions in level advancement
No, at least not in 3.5.

Leveling up is a major part of the enjoyment of WotC D&D - selecting feats, allocating skill points, etc.; remove it, and much (most?) of the fun is gone.

So, unless you're running a really awesome campaign, I'd avoid #2. If you want simplicity, you can make an "advancement tree" for each character - giving players a choice, albeit limited, at every level up. So, Mork the Half-Orc Fighter can decide to pursue the "Ubercharger," "Trip Master," or "Havoc" path at Level 1, and gain skill points and feats according to that path.

jiriku
2009-10-16, 03:48 PM
As a DM, I've done this with one-shots intended for specific stories and when I've had players who could only reluctantly be enticed into playing at all and refused to learn how to build their own characters.

In other words, only when I absolutely had to. Most players like to build their characters. Let them do so.

Rhiannon87
2009-10-16, 03:49 PM
I've been in games (very brief lived games, for reasons other than the OP's question) that started with the DM handing out character sheets. But after that it was up to us. If the DM is deciding everything-- leveling up the characters and such-- well, the players are basically just helping the DM tell his own story by playing some NPCs for him. It can be interesting and fun to start with a pre-made character, but once the character sheet is in the player's hands, it should be under their control.

Another interesting character thing we did was to randomly generate characters-- race, class, alignment, etc. That game only lasted a couple sessions due to scheduling problems, but it was goofy and fun and pushed people out of their comfort zones. We ended up with things like an LG human sorceress and an NG dwarven bard (played by a guy who exclusively played brooding elves/drow before that). Good times.

jokey665
2009-10-16, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't recommend this even for absolute newbies. I loved making my first character just how I wanted him, and I would flat-out refuse to play in a game like that now. I have too many character concepts I want to try out my own builds for that I don't want to waste time with whatever the DM thinks is "cool" or whatever.

Zaq
2009-10-16, 03:55 PM
The only way I would play in a game with pregen characters is if it was a one-shot, and even then only if I knew that the characters were going to be wacky and over-the-top. I would never play in a game in which I don't get to actually make my own character's choices at level-up.

sadi
2009-10-16, 03:57 PM
It depends on the system, this is how we played 1st edition d&d so it would be no problem for me. But for any 3.5 game, the system is designed on players building characters with basically limitless options, why play that system if you're removing the key aspect of letting the players make a character that they want?

weenie
2009-10-16, 03:59 PM
Ok, what about a game where players often switch between the characters they are playing? Or where they have a main character they build themselves, but every once in a while get to play a group of DM made NPCs? Would you be fine with this?

Oh, and the campaign would be more roleplaying than fighting oriented, if that makes any difference.

Zaq
2009-10-16, 04:04 PM
Ok, what about a game where players often switch between the characters they are playing? Or where they have a main character they build themselves, but every once in a while get to play a group of DM made NPCs? Would you be fine with this?

As long as the players knew about it in advance and didn't do it for too long, I could see it as a fun diversion, but I wouldn't rely on it too heavily. And there needs to be a good reason for it.

Oh, and the campaign would be more roleplaying than fighting oriented, if that makes any difference.

That's even worse, though. How can I possibly roleplay a character I have no stake in, no interest in, no connection to?

Ravens_cry
2009-10-16, 04:06 PM
I don't mind this, as long as most of the major archetypes are available and we get to choose which character we play. It was especially nice in the beginning, just choosing a characters and running with it. One of my all time favourite characters was a premade elven druid, just from the RP angle I chose. It takes a lot of the pressure of when your just starting out not having to figure out what feats are, what stats are good for what, and how this did that, you just had to know what to roll and when to do it.
A great way for the newbie to jump in with less intimidation factor.

jiriku
2009-10-16, 04:13 PM

Done sparingly, this can be enjoyable. Done overmuch, it ventures back into the DM keeping all the toys for himself and not letting the players have any.

Blackfang108
2009-10-16, 04:18 PM

This actually happened to me. A friend of mine asked me if I wanted to join a campaign and take over his Party NPC. I said sure, and he gave me the character.

I recently was allowed to remake it on the condition that I kep him a frontline warrior. (Kinda necessary as our only other frontliner had just bitten it. Badly. 38 damage while in single digits will do that to you.)
So I made him a Crusader instead of a Blackguard. And now i'm looking at LA buyoff next level.

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-16, 04:25 PM
No sir. No I would not.

Zaydos
2009-10-16, 04:37 PM
As a DM I have made characters, even leveled them up, for my players when they asked me to and with input from them; and on a series of 4 one-shots (different characters each adventure).

Would I play a character that I had no say in the initial construction of? Maybe, if I had a good range of choices and one of the choices fit something I wanted to play; I've done it before, just give me a mage and I'll be happy if you have nothing else (although I'd prefer not to play a Lv 1 mage with only crafting feats). Would I play a game where I didn't get to level up my own character? No I enjoy leveling them up and choosing which direction they take it is, to me, a part of role-playing choosing what path they take their training.

Weimann
2009-10-16, 04:41 PM
I STed an Exalted game where the PCs were pre-rolled. It... kinda worked. The game was played and enjoyed, but it became a computer game. No one really knew their character, and very little was done IC if OOC could suffice.

I would advice against it unless they players get a large say in it all.

Personally, I'd do it or not. It would depend on circumstances, but I can htink it's enjoyable to try and "interpret" a character. Like, given a few qualities, how would you play this? It's intriguing, to a degree.

Shpadoinkle
2009-10-16, 04:42 PM

What's the point of other people even being there?

If the players in question have never played D&D or any other tabletop RPG before, and it's a one or two session game, then I could see the DM creting the characters himself with no input from the players, but even then, I think he should at least ask them "Do you want to play a fighter, or a sneaky guy, or a wizard, etc," so the players can get a feel for the class and the rules and how the game is actually played. Once they're familiar with it, they should be able to make thier own characters (hopefully with some input from thh DM or other players who have experience with the system so they're not picking stuff blindly.)

Doing it like you suggested, hell, you might as well be playing with yourself.

kieza
2009-10-16, 05:04 PM
As much as I enjoy it when a player in my campaigns comes up with an interesting character, those are few and far between. We get a really good character every couple of years, but otherwise characters are either uber-optimised with no personality, or chaotic neutral. So, I've thought about making pregen characters with associated backgrounds so that they have histories that I can weave into the campaign. (Aside from those really good characters, the most I can get is "I was a soldier" or "I went to mage college.")

I don't encourage powergaming, either. My combats are easy, there's plenty of roleplaying opportunity, plot, and freedom of action, and I tell everyone to build to a concept. But, they come up with basic concepts, occasionally throw in references to what they decided on, and do everything in their power to make their characters more combat effective, get as much loot as possible, and not have to make hard choices.

If I were ever to do it, I'd work up a couple of dozen so that everyone has a choice. But I wouldn't dictate how they leveled up, aside from asking that they stick to the general theme the character started with. I've also thought about just making the backgrounds, then letting the players choose one and build a character around it.