PDA

View Full Version : Factotum Skills?

Gametime
2009-10-16, 05:28 PM
What skills would you recommend putting ranks in, as a Factotum? I'm torn between a desire to max out a bunch of Knowledges (to fuel Knowledge Devotion), maxing out traditional rogue-like skills (Balance, Tumble, etc.), or spreading the ranks around so I can just use Inspiration to get the bonuses I need in almost anything (well, at least once a day).

I figure Spot, Listen, and Search are generally a good idea anyway, for noticing monsters, traps, etc.

If I can get my GM to allow it, Iaijitsu Focus would be great, but that's iffy.

What does the Playground recommend?

Paulus
2009-10-16, 05:32 PM
What skills would you recommend putting ranks in, as a Factotum? I'm torn between a desire to max out a bunch of Knowledges (to fuel Knowledge Devotion), maxing out traditional rogue-like skills (Balance, Tumble, etc.), or spreading the ranks around so I can just use Inspiration to get the bonuses I need in almost anything (well, at least once a day).

I figure Spot, Listen, and Search are generally a good idea anyway, for noticing monsters, traps, etc.

If I can get my GM to allow it, Iaijitsu Focus would be great, but that's iffy.

What does the Playground recommend?

I spent so I at least had one rank in EVERYTHING, that way I could use my nifty class feature to get my level as a bonus to it's check once a day. Heh.

Go for Autohypnosis, and possibly Iaijutsu Focus if the DM allows it. Definitely take Search and Disable devices for rogueness. UMD is a no brainer, and tumble would be a good choice. Listen/Spot, Move Silently/hide are always handy.The rest is up to you.

Myrmex
2009-10-16, 05:36 PM
Knowledge Local, Religion, Nature and Arcana will probably offer the most utility, since that covers humanoids, undead, plants, animals, giants, fey, constructs, magical beasts and dragons.

For games under level ten, giants, undead, humanoids, animals & magical beasts tend to be the most common opponents, in my experience.

HereticNox
2009-10-16, 05:51 PM
Knowledge: Planes, Religion, Arcane and Nature. (the big four)
Tumble
Concentration
Search/Spot/Listen
Autohypnosis (Versatile)
UMD
1 rank in everything else

Those would be my choices,

lsfreak
2009-10-16, 05:59 PM
Knowledge: Planes, Religion, Arcane and Nature. (the big four)
Tumble
Concentration
Search/Spot/Listen
Autohypnosis (Versatile)
UMD
1 rank in everything else

Those would be my choices,

This pretty much covers it. Throw in Knowledge (local) as well, if you're taking Knowledge Devotion.

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-16, 06:20 PM
I like having some 55 gp masterwork tools for most of my skills, and a familiar or psicrystal available (with all of the same ranks I have) for Aiding Another. That's an additional +4 to a skill already.

Getting that Int score really high, and having a decent Wis score (and okay Dex and Str) help you to pump your skills up nicely.

I'd put in at least 1 rank in your Knowledge skills (see: all of them), maxxed Spot OR Listen (with a few ranks in the other), maxxed Hide (a wand of silence will do for Move Silently, unless you're a whisper gnome or just paranoid), maxxed UMD and a few Tumble ranks will set you up quite well.

Is there any role you'd like to fill especially much? After all, like a rogue (but moreso), you can set yourself up to be just about anything you like. Want to be the party face? Diplomacy, Bluff, and Sense Motive. Want to be a wand-wielding whirlwind? UMD/UPD (though with arcane spells you can rely on your Arcane Dilettante ability). Want to be really mobile on the battlefield? Tumble, Climb, and Balance.

It's all up to you.

Myrmex
2009-10-16, 06:25 PM
A familiar/psicrystal also gives you another +2 to spot & listen, which can be pretty crucial.

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-16, 06:28 PM
A familiar/psicrystal also gives you another +2 to spot & listen, which can be pretty crucial.Not to mention an (essentially) free Skill Focus, if you choose the right one. An Artiste psicrystal grants the bonus to ALL Craft skills, if you'll note.

Korivan
2009-10-16, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't but much in any strength or dex based skills unless you want those checks uber high. Remember, you get to add your INT bonus to those in addition to any other modifiers. But ya, putting at least 1 rank in just about everything allows you to be the most versitile person out there.

Draz74
2009-10-16, 09:31 PM
Is there any role you'd like to fill especially much? After all, like a rogue (but moreso), you can set yourself up to be just about anything you like. Want to be the party face? Diplomacy, Bluff, and Sense Motive. Want to be a wand-wielding whirlwind? UMD/UPD (though with arcane spells you can rely on your Arcane Dilettante ability). Want to be really mobile on the battlefield? Tumble, Climb, and Balance.

This. All depends on the Factotum's character concept.

My wannabe Ranger Factotum? Max out Spot, Listen, Search, Disable Device, Hide, Move Silently; Survival is also pretty high. 1 rank in everything else.

My wannabe Wizard Factotum? Max out Know(arcana), Concentration, UMD, Spellcraft. Other Knowledges are pretty high too. 1 rank in everything else (appropriate).