PDA

View Full Version : St. Cuthbert

Alex Warlorn
2009-10-16, 08:48 PM
For the record, when a discussion was made here originally, it was said that St. Cuthbert was copy righted by Dungeons and Dragons. Ironically, St. Cuthbert is an actual historic figure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuthbert_of_Lindisfarne

So Wizards of the Coast can not technically own a copy right on a fantastic reinterpretation of a historical character.

Optimystik
2009-10-16, 09:15 PM
Erm... what does this have to do with Oots?

noiadodh
2009-10-16, 09:46 PM
^ well im gonna just post ninja'ed then...

Raging Gene Ray
2009-10-16, 10:47 PM
I guess he's predicting that St. Cuthbert could appear in the comic.

Alysar
2009-10-17, 12:34 AM
This should really go in the Roleplaying Games forum.

Bogardan_Mage
2009-10-17, 12:49 AM
So Wizards of the Coast can not technically own a copy right on a fantastic reinterpretation of a historical character.
No, but I don't see why they can't own a copyright on a fantastic character that happens to coincidentally have the same name as a historical figure. I mean, I'm not an expert on copyright law or anything but that doesn't seem right to me.

Forbiddenwar
2009-10-17, 01:07 AM
I'm guessing that the OP is posting here because the OOTS forum is where the original discussion took place, and he started a new thread because he didn't want to be a thread Necromancer.

I think you can copyright fantasical representations of historical figures. Like if I wrote a story about Monroe being an axe murderer and killing JFK, and then you wrote a story about Monroe being an axe murder and killing JFK in the exact same manner, I would probably have a case of copyright violation.

But I don't think you can trademark the name of a historical figure, which means (IIRC) Rich can call a god "St. Cuthbert" without violating on WotC trademark, and, if he is fuzzy enough on the details, he may get away with it.

However, I don't think we will see St. Cuthbert in the comic. Not because of copyright issues, but because we haven't seen any of the Core gods yet (IIRC).

Morty
2009-10-17, 06:37 AM
Was there ever any longer discussion about St. Cuthbert appearing in the comic? :smallconfused:

Bayar
2009-10-17, 06:48 AM
In the same way, you could have Tiamant appearing as a sea serpent or whatever, but if you have a 5 headed dragon with each head matching a specific element and calling it Tiamat would probably be copyrighted. I mean, Tiamat appeared in Stargate, but it had humanoid form and glowy eyes (AFAIR).

*this is not legal/juridical advice, I am not licensed for legal advicing*

hamishspence
2009-10-17, 07:02 AM
We have already had Tiamat in the comic- and she does have 5 colored heads-and they do appear to breathe different breaths.

I think the copyright thing isn't much of an issue, if its a Parody, which comes under Fair Use.

charl
2009-10-17, 07:47 AM
Tiamat is an ancient Babylonian goddess. WotC doesn't own the rights to her, especially considering the original creator has been dead for a couple of thousand years. Having her as a multi-headed dragon is because the DnD people confused her with another god called Lotan.

Morty
2009-10-17, 08:08 AM
I think the copyright thing isn't much of an issue, if its a Parody, which comes under Fair Use.

I seem to recall Giant saying that he had decided to use real-world pantheons rather than D&D pantheon from PHB because the former are more likely to be recognized by those who don't play D&D. I might be wrong, of course.

ThePhantasm
2009-10-19, 10:07 AM
I think it is a reference to Elisha Cuthbert. I wouldn't mind her appearing in the comic.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-19, 10:38 AM
I guess he's predicting that St. Cuthbert could appear in the comic.

St. Cuthbert no, but St. CUTbert yes.:smallbiggrin:

Also, what does this have to do with oots?:smallconfused:

Raging Gene Ray
2009-10-19, 01:29 PM
St. Cuthbert no, but St. CUTbert yes.:smallbiggrin:

Ah, the patron deity of scissors and lumberjacks and archnemesis to St. Elecbert.

Alex Warlorn
2009-10-24, 12:39 PM
For those of you wondering, the original thread where St. Cuthbert being able to be inserted as a deity in the stick verse: was where it was discussed where She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named would end up in the afterlife, and deity she could end up working for. The idea present was that St. Cuthbert's creed was on 'smiting the tar out of things' thus fitting She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named perfectly.

jamroar
2009-10-24, 12:43 PM
For those of you wondering, the original thread where St. Cuthbert being able to be inserted as a deity in the stick verse: was where it was discussed where She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named would end up in the afterlife, and deity she could end up working for. The idea present was that St. Cuthbert's creed was on 'smiting the tar out of things' thus fitting She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named perfectly.

St. Cuthbert values practical common sense, however, which she is sorely lacking.
His similarly aligned rival Pholtus who holds unswerving adherence to doctrine above all would be a better fit.

hamishspence
2009-10-24, 01:34 PM
Dragon Magazine 358 (August 2007) has a more in-depth article on St Cuthbert stresses this- he may be Lawful Neutral, but he is so close to the borderline between this and Lawful Good that it is arguable which side he is on.

His paladins tend to be level headed, and don't subscribe to "Motive for criminal act makes absolutely no difference" either. And recognize that it is possible for the law to impose excessive punishments- and refuse to do so, when this happens.