PDA

View Full Version : Tycoon/Business Games

Razaele
2009-10-17, 01:55 AM
Can anyone recommend some good tycoon/business games for the PC? Something which also lets you design your business from scratch. I'm game for mostly anything, may it be a dinosaur park, a space station, or whatever. :smalltongue:

revolver kobold
2009-10-17, 01:57 AM
Pizza Tycoon. Might be an oldie, but is absolutely brilliant.

Build your restaurant, design pizzas, sneak into your competitors property with a flame thrower and torch them out of business.

Also has hot-seat play.

JeminiZero
2009-10-17, 04:07 AM
I've heard good things about Capitalism 2 but never tried it out.

The X series (latest one being X3 reunion I think) apparently has a very detailed economic model. And you are not limited to merely ferrying goods around. You can build your own space factories.

And of course there is the SimCity series. It might not be strictly a business game, but trying to design a profitable efficient city isn't nearly as easy as it sounds.

Sir Dar
2009-10-17, 04:42 AM
The guild may be just what your looking.You pick witch business you want to run at the start.To list a few thief ,graveyard keeper[ great fun once you upgrade the building level to 2 or 3]priest.BE warn your not the only one running a business in this game.Theres you rivels.They will do any thing they can to stop you from robbing your trade carts to blackmailing you.Witch you can do the same to do.You can spy on your rivels.The spys may bring back something you can use as blackmail or bring them to count.

You can hire guards to guard your carts should robbers try to rob you they will fight.if they win you get to keep your goods. if you lose your goods are robbed.

open the spoiler if you which to see where you can find the game.
you can find the the guild gold edition witch includes the original game plus its expansion pack.On good old games.

The Evil Thing
2009-10-17, 05:19 AM
Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Rollercoaster Tycoon and its sequels

Railroad Tycoon and its sequels

Monopoly Tycoon

er...

That's it.

EDIT: "witch" is a noun, "which" is an adjectival pronoun. "Wish" is also a noun but can be used as a verb too. :smallwink:

Premier
2009-10-17, 05:23 AM
There's OpenTTD, which is an open-source, fan-modified version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe and has various new options. Then there's Startopia, which is a fun sci-fi game.

But really, there are so many such games out there, you should tell us which ones have you already played.

The Evil Thing
2009-10-17, 05:38 AM
Oh, that's a good point about OpenTTD. I haven't played it for a while but I think they're even updating the graphics to fully divorce themselves from copyrighted content.

Startopia is quite excellent, if rather short.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-17, 05:58 AM
Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 & 2 were favorites of mine. I didn't like 3 much, but YourMilageMayVary*.

I also enjoyed Zoo Tycoon 1 & 2, myself.

*Link removed for mental health.

MickJay
2009-10-17, 06:38 AM
Trasport T. Deluxe, really fun game. And I double Pizza Tycoon, though the graphics might be just a bit scary by modern standards :smallbiggrin:

Funny you mentioned dinosaur park, there's the old Dino Park Tycoon game, which you can download as abandonware from most abandonware sites.

nosignal
2009-10-17, 07:12 AM
Was Pizza Tycoon the one where you could buy and sell... ice cream?

SimTower and SimFarm were the first two tycoon-type games I played. Oh how I remember the morning rush and all those people who turned red waiting for their lifts.

/NostalgiaGogglesON

Gamerlord
2009-10-17, 07:33 AM
School tycoon. BUY IT!
Capitalism 2. BUY IT FIRST!
Hospital tycoon. BUY IT BEFORE CAP 2!
JURASSIC PARK: OPERATION GENESIS MUST HAVE!!!!!!
AND STARTOPIA!
ALSO PATRICIAN III!

THE MOVIES TOO!!!

Medieval Conquest is also pretty good, I keep running into a glitch in it though that won't let me get past part of the campaign. :smallyuk:

Castaras
2009-10-17, 07:40 AM
I'll second Openttd. Take a look for some GRFs as well, they are awesome fun to play with. :smallbiggrin:

Sir Dar
2009-10-17, 07:49 AM
PATRICIAN III!

Agree.Its fun buying things at a low cost in one city and selling high in the next.Then later on once you think you can pay for the upkeep[1000 or more upkeep for buildings a week can eat up your money fast ].You can build a few buildings that make you goods witch you can then sell at a city that is in great need of said good .If thats not for you.There all ways the be a pirate and raid ships.If your not a great pirate your self. Then give a ship to a pirate in retrun you get a share of the loot when they raid a ship.

The Evil Thing
2009-10-17, 07:50 AM
SimTower is a pain in the neck to run on a modern system
Theme Hospital is a good game, but it might be hard to find (SimTower, by comparison is impossible.)

Razaele
2009-10-17, 11:50 AM
@revolver kobold: Pizza Tycoon eh? That sounds pretty interesting! Any idea where I can get it though? :smallbiggrin:

@JeminiZero: The X series... Hmm. Well, I am a huge space dork, so this should be pretty much right up my alley. Thanks!

@Sir Dar: Ummm. I'm sorry, but I didn't really get much of that. So it's a medieval business game in which you can hire thieves, grave robbers, and priests? :smallconfused:

@The Evil Thing: Hmmm. Rollercoaster Tycoon sounds pretty interesting. On a related side note, is there a Theme Park Tycoon out there somewhere? I mean, building rollercoasters sounds like fun, but building an entire theme park probably trumps that. :smalltongue:

@Premier: Ooh Startopia! Again, my inner space dork screams YES! :smallbiggrin:

@The Dark Fiddler: Hmmm. Does Zoo Tycoon allow me to design the zoo according to my liking? :smallconfused:

@MickJay: DINO!! PARK!! TYCOON!! I had no idea this existed! :smalltongue: And you say I can download it (for free I assume) in abandonware sites? You sir, are now my personal hero. :smallbiggrin:

@nosignal: Ah, SimTower. That brought back memories. I totally sucked at it when I was a kid though. Maybe I'll pick it up again just to see if I can beat it now. :smallbiggrin:

@gamerkid: All of these suggestions sound awesome! :smallbiggrin: I'm kind of on a limited budget though, so I'll have to choose carefully. Management games are fun, but I'd rather have a game which lets me build the business from the ground up (as in literally building stuff like structures and features) AND lets me manage it. :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2009-10-17, 12:08 PM
Empire: Total War. War is like a business.

SuperMuldoon
2009-10-17, 12:21 PM
haha I was going to also reccomend Dino Park Tycoon! I used to play that game all the time as a kid :smallbiggrin:

Sir Dar
2009-10-17, 12:42 PM
@Sir Dar: Ummm. I'm sorry, but I didn't really get much of that. So it's a medieval business game in which you can hire thieves, grave robbers, and priests? :smallconfused:

let me see if i can make it a bit more clear.At the start of the game you do things like pick your name, pick the business you want to run,and the town you want to run your business in.

Yes its a medieval business game.Yes you can hire thieves if you pick that business.Once you hire a thief you can order him/her to pickpocket ,rob a building.

Yes you can be a priest.can hold sermon,make books which you can sell or use.

The graveyard keeper business is more you own a graveyard from time to time some one rents a grave in your graveyard.You have workers witch are undead.They work for free.Your workers can look for bones in your graveyard ,which can then be use to make items.

Your not the only one who runs a business.Then theres the ai,they will try things like hiring someone to burn down your buildings[yes it does damage to your building].Then you will have to repair your building.blackmailing you and things like that. anything that ai can do so can you.

You can be more then just a priest, graveyard keeper, or thief.I will let you find out the rest.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-17, 02:03 PM
@The Dark Fiddler: Hmmm. Does Zoo Tycoon allow me to design the zoo according to my liking? :smallconfused:

You can't change the boundaries on your land, but other than that, it's pretty much all up to you.

The Evil Thing
2009-10-17, 03:24 PM
@The Evil Thing: Hmmm. Rollercoaster Tycoon sounds pretty interesting. On a related side note, is there a Theme Park Tycoon out there somewhere? I mean, building rollercoasters sounds like fun, but building an entire theme park probably trumps that. :smalltongue:
Of course you build an entire theme park in Rollercoaster Tycoon. Chris Sawyer called it that mostly because it was catchier.

There is a Sim Theme Park but it's pretty bad. It's actually the sequel to the old Bullfrog game Theme Park. The game is also called Theme Park World It itself has a sequel of sorts - SimCoaster, or Theme Park Inc. - which is more technically advanced but doesn't fix the major flaws of the original.

EDIT: Incidentally, be warned that most Tycoon games are pretty bad. If you aren't sure about a title - i.e, haven't actually played it or a demo - don't bother with it unless it's in the bargain bin.

Geno9999
2009-10-17, 10:20 PM
I'm game for mostly anything, may it be a dinosaur park, a space station, or whatever.
I remember an old game called Dinopark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DinoPark_Tycoon) Tycoon, which is exactly what you said right there: A dinosaur park. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin)