PDA

View Full Version : how many domains can a cleric get? 3.5

hawkboy772042
2009-10-17, 06:48 AM
I was doing a mental excersize to see how many domains a clerics could possibly achieve by 20th level. So far I was able to come up with 8 with this build:

cloistered cleric 5/divine oracle 1/war priest 1/knight of raven 3/radiant servant of pelor 5/seeker of misty isle 1/ (still have room for 4 more levels)

domains: healing, strength, knowledge, oracle, glory, sun, purification, travel

Any ideas on how to get more?

Chrono22
2009-10-17, 06:50 AM
There are a few feats one could take to grant new domains as well. I believe some of them are in the player's guide to faerun.

Ernir
2009-10-17, 07:00 AM
Contemplative (Complete Divine) gives a domain at 1st and 6th level, Sovereign Speaker (Faiths of Eberron) gives a bunch of them, I think. Never actually read the latter.

Set
2009-10-17, 07:11 AM
Any ideas on how to get more?

The gold standard is the Sovereign Speaker, from Faiths of Eberron, a nine-level long PrC that grants one Domain / level from the seven 'good' gods of the setting. Just those 9 levels and five of Cleric, grant 11 Domains.

Classes
Cleric 1 (PHB) gives two Domains.
Cloistered Cleric 1 (Unearthed Arcana) gives three Domains (one of which must be Knowledge)
Shaman 1 (Oriental Adventures) gives two Domains, Shaman 11 gives a third Domain
Adept 1 (Eberron Campaign Setting) gives 1 Domain.

PrCs
Faiths of Eberron
Sovereign Speaker 1-9 gives one Domain / level (with some pretty ridiculous restrictions, 'though, it's a trap!)

Complete Divine
Contemplative gets 1 Domain at 1st and another at 6th.
Church Inquisitor 1 gives Inquisition Domain
Divine Crusader 1 gives one of choice
Divine Oracle 1 gives Oracle
Radiant Servant of Pelor 5 gives Glory or Purification
Rainbow Servant 1 gives Good, RS 4 gives Air, RS 7 gives Law
Seeker of the Misty Isle 1 gives Travel, SotMI 7 gives Magic
Temple Raider of Olidammara 10 gives Luck
Warpriest 1 gives Glory or Domination

Dragon Magic
Swift Wing 1 gives Dragon

Races of the Dragon
Singer of Concordance 2 gives one of Dragon, Healing, Knowledge, Magic, Strength, Travel or Wealth

Draconomicon
Dracolyte 1 gives Glory or Domination

Stormwrack
Wavekeeper 1 gives one of Blackwater, Ocean, Storm or Water

Faiths & Pantheons
Wearer of Purple 1 gives one of Death, Evil or Scalykind
Gondsman/Techsmith 3 gives one of Craft, Earth, Fire, Knowledge, Metal or Planning
Horned Harbinger 1 gives Death
Auspician 1 gives Fate
Maiden of Pain 1 gives Pain (or one other of Loviatars if you have Pain)

Savage Species
Yuan-Ti Cultist 2 gives Suffering

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Divine Disciple 1 gives one from your diety of choice

Players Guide to Faerun
Divine Disciple 4 gives one of choice from diety (replaces FRCS version!)
Eye of Horus-Re 5 gives one of Horus-Re's choices

Complete Champion?
Ordained Champion 1 gives War (or another from diety if you already have War)

I don't recognize the Knight of Raven you've got in your build, is that from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft?

hamishspence
2009-10-17, 07:15 AM
I believe it is- I remember a (quite powerful) prestige class in that book going by that name.

hawkboy772042
2009-10-17, 07:22 AM
I don't recognize the Knight of Raven you've got in your build, is that from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft?

Yeah, it is.

Emperor Tippy
2009-10-17, 07:26 AM
All of them.

You need to be a neutral cleric of an ideal (not following any deity). Once you hit epic you can start taking the Bonus Domain feat, which gives you access to another domain each time you take it. Take it once per published domain.

Sure, you have to be something like level 300 to actually get all of the domains but it is at least theoretically possible.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-10-17, 07:27 AM
The gold standard is the Sovereign Speaker, from Faiths of Eberron, a nine-level long PrC that grants one Domain / level from the seven 'good' gods of the setting. Just those 9 levels and five of Cleric, grant 11 Domains.

Classes
Cleric 1 (PHB) gives two Domains.
Cloistered Cleric 1 (Unearthed Arcana) gives three Domains (one of which must be Knowledge)
Shaman 1 (Oriental Adventures) gives two Domains, Shaman 11 gives a third Domain

PrCs
Faiths of Eberron
Sovereign Speaker 1-9 gives one Domain / level (with some pretty ridiculous restrictions, 'though, it's a trap!)

Complete Divine
Contemplative gets 1 Domain at 1st and another at 6th.
Church Inquisitor 1 gives Inquisition Domain
Divine Crusader 1 gives one of choice
Divine Oracle 1 gives Oracle
Radiant Servant of Pelor 5 gives Glory or Purification
Rainbow Servant 1 gives Good, RS 4 gives Air, RS 7 gives Law
Seeker of the Misty Isle 1 gives Travel, SotMI 7 gives Magic
Temple Raider of Olidammara 10 gives Luck
Warpriest 1 gives Glory or Domination

Dragon Magic
Swift Wing 1 gives Dragon

Races of the Dragon
Singer of Concordance 2 gives one of Dragon, Healing, Knowledge, Magic, Strength, Travel or Wealth

Draconomicon
Dracolyte 1 gives Glory or Domination

Stormwrack
Wavekeeper 1 gives one of Blackwater, Ocean, Storm or Water

Faiths & Pantheons
Wearer of Purple 1 gives one of Death, Evil or Scalykind
Gondsman/Techsmith 3 gives one of Craft, Earth, Fire, Knowledge, Metal or Planning
Horned Harbinger 1 gives Death
Auspician 1 gives Fate
Maiden of Pain 1 gives Pain (or one other of Loviatars if you have Pain)

Savage Species
Yuan-Ti Cultist 2 gives Suffering

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Divine Disciple 1 gives one from your diety of choice

Players Guide to Faerun
Divine Disciple 4 gives one of choice from diety (replaces FRCS version!)
Eye of Horus-Re 5 gives one of Horus-Re's choices

Complete Champion?
Ordained Champion 1 gives War (or another from diety if you already have War)

why is Sovereign Speaker a trap? Seemed pritty good. especialy in a non ebberon setting where the only soverieng host domains don't apply.

BobVosh
2009-10-17, 07:57 AM
If you don't mind a quick dip out of cleric for domains there is the domain wizard.

Admittedly unless you pull some shenanigan or other you only have 1st level spells there. But hey, you only asked for domains not progressed domains.

Myrmex
2009-10-17, 08:02 AM
If you don't mind a quick dip out of cleric for domains there is the domain wizard.

Admittedly unless you pull some shenanigan or other you only have 1st level spells there. But hey, you only asked for domains not progressed domains.

Domain wizards don't actually get domains like clerics do.

Stegyre
2009-10-17, 08:36 AM
Classes
. . . .
I'm not seeing this in ECS. Do you have a page cite?

Starbuck_II
2009-10-17, 09:31 AM
Thee is a Domain drought that when drunken gives a domain for a day.

dspeyer
2009-10-18, 05:58 AM
T
PrCs
Complete Divine

Cool list!

A few more notes for the CD ones (I don't have the other books)

{table]class|domain|pre-req|notes
Contemplative|any (and another at 6)|13 ranks|
Church Inquisitor|Inquisition Domain|zone of truth, LG|
Divine Crusader|any|weapon focus, bab 7|seperate casting -- does not add domain
Divine Oracle|Oracle|skill focus(knowledge(religion)), 2 div spells|
Radiant Servant of Pelor|Glory or Purification at 5|extra turning, sun domain, 9 ranks|
Rainbow Servant| 1 gives Good, RS 4 gives Air, RS 7 gives Law|3rd lvl arcane|Clearly intended to add these spells to an arcane list, but by strict raw doesn't have to. Does not give +spells at first level
Seeker of the Misty Isle| 1 gives Travel, 7 gives Magic|elf or half-elf, 2nd lvl spells, 8 ranks|
Temple Raider of Olidammara|10 gives Luck||seperate half casting
Warpriest|Glory or Domination|combat casting, turn undead|1st lvl no spells
[/table]

deuxhero
2009-10-18, 08:57 AM
Doesn't Rainbow Servant text (trumps the table officially) and at least one translation say spellcasting is 10/10?

Kylarra
2009-10-18, 09:36 AM
Church inquisitor is an early entry PrC

CloistereredCleric3/ChurchInquisitor2/other stuff

Jack_Simth
2009-10-18, 09:47 AM
All of them.

You need to be a neutral cleric of an ideal (not following any deity). Once you hit epic you can start taking the Bonus Domain feat, which gives you access to another domain each time you take it. Take it once per published domain.

Sure, you have to be something like level 300 to actually get all of the domains but it is at least theoretically possible.

Check the OP again:

I was doing a mental excersize to see how many domains a clerics could possibly achieve by 20th level.(emphasis added)

Stegyre
2009-10-18, 10:49 AM
I was doing a mental excersize to see how many domains a clerics could possibly achieve by 20th level.
I am surprised no one seems to have mentioned this option, yet:

Cleric 3, all of them, two (or 3, if Cloistered Cleric) at any one time:
1. Be a cleric who does not worship a specific deity.
2. Substitute Domain (Cl 2, CCh 128): swap your domains around to whatever you want for the day (or days) ahead.

HCL
2009-10-18, 11:26 AM
Dragons of Eberron I think has sovereign archetypes. Some of them let you cast certain domain spells as arcane spells, though I don't think you are getting the powers.

The Glyphstone
2009-10-18, 12:13 PM
Can you actually take Cleric and Cloistered Cleric? I always thought Cloistered Cleric was just an official variant, and thus not eligible for a multiclass, like multiclassing Rogue/Feat Rogue or Spirit Lion Barbarian/Wild Shape Barbarian/Normal Barbarian.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-18, 12:17 PM
The answer is 3, 2, 1, or 0.

Cloistered Clerics get 3. Standard Clerics get 2. Any Cleric with a domain can swap it for the corresponding domain feat (Complete Champion, page 53), thus reducing the number to 1 or 0.

Those are all the options for Clerics. Church Inquisitors, Divine Oracles, and so on get other domains, but those aren't domains granted by their Cleric class.
Can you actually take Cleric and Cloistered Cleric? No, not any more than you can take both standard Rogue and the Feat Rogue variant. Cloistered Clerics are Clerics.

ErrantX
2009-10-18, 01:51 PM
why is Sovereign Speaker a trap? Seemed pritty good. especialy in a non ebberon setting where the only soverieng host domains don't apply.

2nded, why is Sovereign Speaker a trap? A friend of mine is considering one as a back up character.

-X

Jack_Simth
2009-10-18, 01:59 PM
2nded, why is Sovereign Speaker a trap? A friend of mine is considering one as a back up character.

-X

It loses spell progression, which (as an optimizer) is a really big no-no. Additionally, and the bonus slots are just slots of a specified level - they're not massive quantities of spells that some people seem to think they are.