PDA

View Full Version : Habits or traditions you have related to gaming?

Pika...
2009-10-17, 09:59 AM
I know some people order their dice a certain way, some always put their favorite dice facing up on 20, etc. What is your habit or tradition(s)?

I myself always have a model specified for a new PC, or I use a dice in it's place until I get a fitting one (usually Reaper Minis). I sometimes even greenstuff or convert them to fit the character.

Then after their campaign is done, or they die prematurely, I place them in a mini display case (the plastic cases dice sets come in are amazing!!!), and then put them in my bigger display case in my collections room. I then print out their character sheet, put it in a magazine sized comic storage bag with board, and file it in another display case.

I look at them and occasionally picture that as their "hangout place", but then again I consider each a "personality fragment" of sorts, basically a piece of my personality I put into or explored through them, so I often envision them running around in my head in a sort of Out-Planer afterlife. (Yeah, I know, WAY to much thought into this...)

oxybe
2009-10-17, 10:07 AM
well, i tend to put my dice out with the "high" number facing upwards. i tell people that it's to "train" my dice, but really it's just so i know which dice is which quickly. too often have i grabbed a d10 instead of a d8 or vice versa.

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-10-17, 10:14 AM
I also do the maxing-dice thing, but mainly because I've heard that it actually might work (supposedly, it slowly causes the material in the die to shift down to the bottom of however it's consistently placed, i.e., loading the dice a tiny bit at a time. I don't know if it actually has much of an effect. But I like seeing dice maxed out, anyway.

I've also noticed that I'm the only member of my group, except the DM, who consistently stands up instead of sitting at the table...that's rather funny, I think.

Cieyrin
2009-10-17, 10:45 AM
I roll the dice I'm using for the character to see which ones are feeling up for rolling high that day and then put them in order by highest value rolled. Not that I think it really helps, as my dice are pretty karmic and like screwing with me, anyways. ~_~

ocdscale
2009-10-17, 10:50 AM
I roll the dice I'm using for the character to see which ones are feeling up for rolling high that day and then put them in order by highest value rolled. Not that I think it really helps, as my dice are pretty karmic and like screwing with me, anyways. ~_~

Clearly that's because the high rolling dice have used up their high rolls.
You want the low rolling dice that have pre-rolled the 1s out.

shadow_archmagi
2009-10-17, 10:51 AM
I sit on dice that misbehave.

Keeps em in line.

Cieyrin
2009-10-17, 10:56 AM
Clearly that's because the high rolling dice have used up their high rolls.
You want the low rolling dice that have pre-rolled the 1s out.

Hmm, perhaps. Very Darth and Droids of you.

Yukitsu
2009-10-17, 11:10 AM
When a die really disapoints me, I face all my other dice towards the microwave, and melt down the offending die. I hear this is more of a warhammer thing though.

Mongoose87
2009-10-17, 11:15 AM
I find I almost always sit in the same spot - even in different campaigns, with different players, but the same DM.

I also build forts out of my div, or, at least, structures. :smallredface:

Orzel
2009-10-17, 11:57 AM
Dice that roll 1 sitting the corner and get no videogames for a week. Good dice get to sit on the nearest videogame.

Studoku
2009-10-17, 12:08 PM
If a d20 needs to roll a 2 or more, I threaten to defenestrate it if it rolls a 1. Fortunately, no dice has done so yet.

Cieyrin
2009-10-17, 12:19 PM
When a die really disapoints me, I face all my other dice towards the microwave, and melt down the offending die. I hear this is more of a warhammer thing though.

I've never found microwaving very effective. All that happens is they burn your hands and keep you from gaming, in my experience.

A buddy of mine took a rockhammer to an offending die and put the shards of it into his dice bag as an example to the others if they act out.

LibraryOgre
2009-10-17, 12:36 PM
Every time I get a new character, I get new dice. Those dice remain associated with the character and, though I may bring in spares (like when my bard/rogue/ranger in 4e would toss 7d6 or more on a 2W sneak attack against his quarry), those are the dice I use.

When I play at a convention, I bring many sets of dice. At the end of the game, I give the dice I used at that game to the GM.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-10-17, 01:55 PM
I myself always have a model specified for a new PC, or I use a dice in it's place until I get a fitting one (usually Reaper Minis). I sometimes even greenstuff or convert them to fit the character.

Then after their campaign is done, or they die prematurely, I place them in a mini display case (the plastic cases dice sets come in are amazing!!!), and then put them in my bigger display case in my collections room. I then print out their character sheet, put it in a magazine sized comic storage bag with board, and file it in another display case.

I look at them and occasionally picture that as their "hangout place", but then again I consider each a "personality fragment" of sorts, basically a piece of my personality I put into or explored through them, so I often envision them running around in my head in a sort of Out-Planer afterlife. (Yeah, I know, WAY to much thought into this...)

This sounds very much like "The Indian in the Cupboard." Which would be freakin' awesome with retired D&D adventurers.

Pika...
2009-10-17, 08:45 PM
This sounds very much like "The Indian in the Cupboard." Which would be freakin' awesome with retired D&D adventurers.

Dude, what a nostalgia bomb.

And yes, it would be awesome. Kobolds and energy missiles everywhere. :smallbiggrin:

littlebottom
2009-10-17, 09:02 PM
my dice hate me.... all of them, no really, i buy new dice and its like my old dice tell them its funny to keep rolling ones when i use em and 6s (or their highest amount) when some one else uses em:smallfrown:

this causes me to use other peoples dice consistantly, which is kinda weird... "hey, anyone got 2d10s and a d6?" "havnt you got your own dice?" "yes, but they hate me:smalleek:!"

mem0man
2009-10-17, 09:10 PM
I have a Call of Cthulu dice set that is always present and their but it never gets rolled of anything concerning a campaign because I simply believe it is trying to get me killed. I also have a white dice set that have earned the nick name "mercy dice" and they tend to only get used when the object or person targets needs to be shown mercy. Nothing is different about them but when a TPW is about to happen the dice always come through and save the party whether I am DMing or playing.

Akal Saris
2009-10-17, 09:34 PM

My god, that sounds like an amazing story idea - indian in the cupboard with retired D&D figurines.

Hell, it might even make for a fun game idea!

Samuel Sturm
2009-10-17, 09:41 PM
Nothing really related to dice, but I always bring a bottle of Noss energy drink to each game. It never contains Noss, but Red Rose tea, unsweetened.

Nobody has figured it out yet.

Also, any fighter of mine will always speak in a slow deep Mississippi accent.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-17, 11:59 PM
I also do the maxing-dice thing, but mainly because I've heard that it actually might work (supposedly, it slowly causes the material in the die to shift down to the bottom of however it's consistently placed, i.e., loading the dice a tiny bit at a time. I don't know if it actually has much of an effect. But I like seeing dice maxed out, anyway.

I've heard this quite a bit, and no, it doesn't actually work. Plastic is quite hard when set, and doesn't settle.

Exceptions exist for certain types of plastic and certain(very, very warm) temperatures, but frankly, if your D&D playing location is subject to such heat, you have more important issues.