Eurus
2009-10-17, 01:50 PM
Ax Battler vs. Dormin Falath

Map:
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/262/platforms1v1ffamap.png

Ax Battler (http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=3894), Introbulus
Dormin Falath (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=158808), Eurus

Dormin's initiative: [roll0]

Purchases: 1 potion of jump, 50 gold. (Remaining gold: 0)

Starting position: M-25

Eurus
2009-10-17, 01:51 PM
Oops, initiative redo. [roll0]

Trobby
2009-10-17, 01:56 PM
Heh...^^; I guess even in non-arena matches, there are errors.

[roll0]

I'll start in M2. Proceed.

Eurus
2009-10-17, 02:02 PM
Dormin moves to K-22, and picks up the torch. Swift action to activate Law Devotion for +3 to AC. End turn.

Trobby
2009-10-17, 02:14 PM
Hmmm...there's a slight problem here...I THINK I would see the torch being taken, but I'm not sure if I would be able to actually SEE through the darkness.

What do you think?

Ah...well either way, I would probably do this...

Round 1

Ax Battler uses a double move action to step into K21. Upon reaching it, you spot him immediately.

(No need for jump checks. With a +9 modifier, he makes every jump automatically.)

Eurus
2009-10-17, 02:19 PM
Well, Dormin didn't cover up the lamp yet (he's just holding it), so he's standing in bright illumination. So I'd assume you see him, or at least the light he's holding, just fine. At least until he disposes of that pesky lamp. :smallamused:

Trobby
2009-10-17, 02:23 PM
Hey, incidentally, those lamps function as alchemist fire.

...But you would take splash damage. ;p Either way, it's your turn.

Eurus
2009-10-17, 02:28 PM
Hmm. Okay, my action depends on one very important question: if you're on fire, do you shed light? I have no clue...

EDIT: To clarify, Dormin is going to take a 5-foot step back to K-23, then throw the lamp. But, seeing that Ax Battler appears to be human and therefore presumably has no darkvision, he really wants some darkness to take cover in. So if being on fire does indeed shed light (as is logical, but not RAW), he'll throw the lamp into the ravine. If being on fire does not shed light (as is RAW, but illogical), he'll chuck it at Ax Battler instead.

EDIT 2: You know, I'll just go with the logical plan. Dormin takes his 5-foot step and chucks the lamp off the platform, shrouding it in total darkness.

Eurus
2009-10-17, 02:39 PM
Oh, and my Law Devotion bonus this turn is still set to AC. This is the second round out of its ten-round duration.

Trobby
2009-10-17, 02:52 PM
:smallamused: Good Plan. Ax Battler is totally confused, and decides that he'll just rush into a jump towards F21. *He would've just jumped back to the previous platform, but without a running start, he'd probably never make the jump*

Feel free to take an AoO, though keep in mind that it'll interrupt my retreat.

Eurus
2009-10-17, 02:54 PM
I decline to take my attack of opportunity. Any other actions?

Trobby
2009-10-17, 03:01 PM
Yes. I use my second move action to get a running start, then jump over to E17.

Your turn.

Eurus
2009-10-17, 03:11 PM
Chuckling at the horrible night vision of humans, Dormin will shoot at the lamp next to Ax Battler. :smallamused:

Assuming it's a fine-sized object, its AC should be 11 (10 -5 dexterity -2 inanimate +8 size). Dormin will use a full-round action to shoot it, getting a +5 bonus for a total of +10. So anything but a natural 1 will hit.

[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: 3 damage, cut in half. Fractions are rounded down, so that's only 1 damage, which is negated by the hardness of glass. So the bolt glances off.

Trobby
2009-10-17, 03:22 PM
Mm...I want to say that I could charge at you...but I don't know if I could guess at where you are based on the shot from your bolt. Do you know how that would work?

Hmm...on second thought, I have a better idea. I'm taking the lamp next to me, and hooking it into my belt as a move and free action. Now that I'm a source of light, I'm jumping over to square I21, taking the long way around to avoid having to make a jump check.

Your turn again. :smallamused:

Eurus
2009-10-17, 03:41 PM
Uh-oh. Let's see... Dormin is currently not threatened (standing in K-23), and is standing in shadowy illumination. So he will use his standard action to cast Steel Shadows, giving him a +3 shield bonus and +3 armor bonus to AC for 10 minutes. He'll assign his Law Devotion bonus to AC also, raising it to 23 this round. And he'll move to Q-23.

Trobby
2009-10-17, 04:23 PM
Ah...bad luck for you. I'm pretty sure I have a straight line of motion from I21 to P23, and since you didn't make a hide check, I'm going to charge. I'm pretty sure you can jump as part of a charge, and since you've been buffing yourself so much, I'm also going to take this opportunity to fly into my RAAAGE, and use Reckless charge to turn my Attack penalty into +4 (And the AC penalty into a -4, meaning for this round, my AC is...wow...5 this round. And you have a pretty good shot of not getting hit during this attack...but at any rate, here we go!

[roll0]

Trobby
2009-10-17, 04:25 PM
Oh...forgot to roll for damage. Here we go...

[roll0]
[roll1]

And...I think...do I need to roll for miss chance too? ^^; I'm not very good with all the rule details.

Eurus
2009-10-17, 04:30 PM
Shame. My only hope was that you'd miss. :smalltongue: No concealment, since you've got a source of bright light on you right now. Dormin is knocked out.

I wasn't able to hide since, even though I had concealment, I was currently being observed. And I would have used Black Candle to mimic Darkness, but upon double-checking it in the Tome of Magic, it turns out it's identical to Light or Darkness in most respects, except that it only has a 1 round/level duration, making it just about worthless. On the plus side, since my character isn't approved, I can switch it out before any real matches.

In retrospect, though, I could have gotten outside the radius of the shadowy illumination by running across the panes of force, giving me a chance to hide... oh well, live and learn. :smallredface:

Trobby
2009-10-17, 04:35 PM
Heh...it's alright. You were doing pretty well, and I think in a real match, we would've had a lot more ref and rule checking going on.

Still, this was lots of fun. :smallbiggrin: Thanks for playing with me.

Eurus
2009-10-17, 04:35 PM
Thanks, I enjoyed it too. :smallsmile:

Trobby
2009-10-17, 04:45 PM
Hah...^^; Looks like we've started something...Mmm...I really need to take a break for awhile though. :smalleek: So um...let me know if another match starts via a PM?

;o See ya.

Eurus
2009-10-17, 04:47 PM
No problem, will do.