PDA

View Full Version : Hopeing this hasn't been done before, a possible boost to sorcerers

Korivan
2009-10-17, 02:21 PM
Alright, to save space and peoples time, I'm going to just give the cliff notes, stop me if I'm wrong.

Be a sorcerer, take the spell Heroics from the Spell Compendium. Add the feat Bonus Feat (can't remember where its from, but fighters can take it as a bonus feat).

Try to add Arcane Thesis: Heroics, and Extend Spell or Incantrix/AT/Perisist Spell for some cheap all day Heroics.

The point? Cast the spell Heroics, use it for the Bonus Feat Feat, use that to grab metamagic feats, researve feats, Extra Spell (not the one for the spell slot, but the one sorcerers use to know extra spells. Its in CA or CM). Since with Rapid MetaMagic feat, you dont have the full round casting time, and meta magic is applied when you cast you should be able to cast pretty much anything however you want, as long as you have spell slots.

So what do you think...like it?

Also, I've given thought about a Sorcerer using permenancy, or the use of Wish to turn these into books so that they can't be dispelled.(in my campaigns there are books that give you feats, they act just like the books that give you stat bonuses. Takes a week to read, very expensive, virtually impossible buy. Rare.) But I havn't worked it out yet.

EDIT: The material component to this is a seemingly worthless bit of armor or weapon, could be a broken piece it doesn't seem to matter. Is it grounds for Eschew Materials?

Paulus
2009-10-17, 02:24 PM
Add the feat Bonus Feat (can't remember where its from, but fighters can take it as a bonus feat).

There is no such feat in existence... unless you mean the one we made up here in the playground as a joke for the thread "Feats that don't really do anything."
In which someones thought makeing a feat that gave you a bonus feat was useless and thus sadly turned out to actually be really broken.

Godskook
2009-10-17, 02:27 PM
use it for the Bonus Feat Feat,

Where's that found?

Korivan
2009-10-17, 02:28 PM
There is no such feat in existence... unless you mean the one we made up here in the playground as a joke for the thread "Feats that don't really do anything."
In which someones thought makeing a feat that gave you a bonus feat was useless and thus sadly turned out to actually be really broken.

Really, I thought someone posted its source, and its intent was to allow fighters to expand on thier limitations.

Paulus
2009-10-17, 02:32 PM
Really, I thought someone posted its source, and its intent was to allow fighters to expand on thier limitations.

It wasn't seen as such in it's creation, it was really just a joke, but it would actually allow fighters to use their bonus feat to take Bonus Feat and then take ANY feat they want, not just a "Fighter Bonus Feat". And there was some other obscure power which allowed you to take Bonus feat and then take Bonus feat with that bonus feat ad infinitim and then do something that broke the game. Can't remember it off the top of my head but it was meant as a joke.

It certainly isn't an official feat, and I doubt it would be a homebrew feat. heh.
In other news I could be wrong and if I am, if anyone knows the source, let me know ASAP. ...oh boy could I do some things with THIS.

AstralFire
2009-10-17, 02:33 PM

So... you really thought someone would seriously make a feat that, when taken, served only to allow someone to take a feat. Making it a zero-sum gain for any permanent feat situation, and extremely broken for any temporary feat emulation.

Really.

Paulus
2009-10-17, 02:36 PM
So... you really thought someone would seriously make a feat that, when taken, served only to allow someone to take a feat. Making it a zero-sum gain for any permanent feat situation, and extremely broken for any temporary feat emulation.

Really.

The sad part is it really WOULD help fighters out greatly. Imagine all those Bonus feats suddenly being open to take ANY Feat they met the pre-reqs for.
Sigh~

Korivan
2009-10-17, 02:37 PM

Really.

Wizards of the Coast has made some crazy things. Hey, if you think thats crazy, you should see how half the people on this thread take Researves of Strength, now thats crazy thinkin.

AstralFire
2009-10-17, 02:38 PM
The sad part is it really WOULD help fighters out greatly. Imagine all those Bonus feats suddenly being open to take ANY Feat they met the pre-reqs for.
Sigh~

No, it really wouldn't. Most of the feats that give a combat boost for melee are already Fighter bonus feats. It would give a small boost in power, but the biggest thing it would do is make the first four levels of Fighter an even better dip than they already are. It's not even close to a Fighter fix.

Wizards of the Coast has made some crazy things. Hey, if you think thats crazy, you should see how half the people on this thread take Researves of Strength, now thats crazy thinkin.

There is a difference between poorly thought out and obviously absurd.

Paulus
2009-10-17, 02:38 PM
No, it really wouldn't. Most of the feats that give a combat boost for melee are already Fighter bonus feats. It would give a small boost in power, but the biggest thing it would do is make the first four levels of Fighter an even better dip than they already are. It's not even close to a Fighter fix.

Fix it is not. But would help fighters out greatly? yes. And I don't mean just in combat.

I took what now?

and as such, can I give it back and get a bonus to my unarmed strike instead? >:3

mem0man
2009-10-17, 02:45 PM
It appears in the appendix of an AEG source book called appropriately Feats but even there it is delivered as a joke. Pg. 143 Ch. 6

Myou
2009-10-17, 02:51 PM
It appears in the appendix of an AEG source book called appropriately Feats but even there it is delivered as a joke. Pg. 143 Ch. 6

Ah, a joke feat in a jokebook. :smalltongue:

Korivan
2009-10-17, 02:55 PM
OK OK, I get it. Probably what happened is that I saw the AEG source and this one, locked deep in the ol memory. Then after a particulary boring day at work dusted it off and forgot to dust off the fine label. Oh well, would have been nice:smallfrown:.

I may still allow Bonus Feat in for single class fighters.

mem0man
2009-10-17, 02:59 PM
It is followed in order by Garden Gnome and Elven Blood - Keebler as well as the devastating monk feat Monkey Grabs the Peach.

Bayar
2009-10-17, 03:00 PM
Soo, if I were a Chameleon, and took Bonus feat as my floating feat, would that mean that the feat gained by bonus feat would not dissapear when i switch my floating feat ? Essentially granting me any feat that I would qualify for ?

Fax Celestis
2009-10-17, 03:01 PM
Monkey Grabs the Peach.

http://www.rnrh.net/images/blog/monkey_steals_the_peach.png

...?

Godskook
2009-10-17, 03:07 PM
And there was some other obscure power which allowed you to take Bonus feat and then take Bonus feat with that bonus feat ad infinitim and then do something that broke the game.

Chaos shuffle was the trick that breaks "Bonus Feat" in twain and spits on the body. Chaos shuffle is two spells that allows you to swap one feat for any other you can learn. Since "Bonus Feat" is a valid target, and you can have an arbitrary amount of them, you can pretty much have every feat ever written. If you're epic level, it would make you almost as powerful as pun-pun(There's epic feats that give stats).

Radar
2009-10-17, 03:16 PM
Chaos shuffle was the trick that breaks "Bonus Feat" in twain and spits on the body. Chaos shuffle is two spells that allows you to swap one feat for any other you can learn. Since "Bonus Feat" is a valid target, and you can have an arbitrary amount of them, you can pretty much have every feat ever written. If you're epic level, it would make you almost as powerful as pun-pun(There's epic feats that give stats).
Hmm... no.
Pun-Pun obtains an ability, to give himself any ability - even some nonexistant like a literal "I win" [Ex] ability.

Defiant
2009-10-17, 03:17 PM
This thread cracks me up

UserClone
2009-10-17, 04:09 PM

...?

O_o
o_O

[/abjecthorror]

Poil
2009-10-17, 04:24 PM
There's an actual feat for that? It would be worth playing a monk just to see the faces of the other players. Or just use it against them.

"The enemy monk drops down on one knee, grabs your pouch and pulls. Make a fortitude save."

Fax Celestis
2009-10-17, 04:26 PM
There's an actual feat for that? It would be worth playing a monk just to see the faces of the other players. Or just use it against them.

"The enemy monk drops down on one knee, grabs your pouch and pulls. Make a fortitude save."

Yes. It's called "Stunning Fist".

sofawall
2009-10-17, 07:51 PM
Possibly the worst part of that whole thing is: "Massive blood loss causes death."

Godskook
2009-10-17, 08:04 PM
Hmm... no.
Pun-Pun obtains an ability, to give himself any ability - even some nonexistant like a literal "I win" [Ex] ability.

What part of almost did I not make clear? Besides, any epic caster capable of chaos-shuffling an infinite number of feats is also capable of turning into pun-pun. Standard pun-puns just do it faster.

elonin
2009-10-17, 08:05 PM
The player who tried the "get every feat" gambit would be just as quickly kicked out of my game as the pun-pun player.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-17, 08:07 PM
Possibly the worst part of that whole thing is: "Massive blood loss causes death."

The reader may not realize this. :smallbiggrin:

Ernir
2009-10-17, 08:16 PM
The reader may not realize this. :smallbiggrin:

But is it a painful way to go? The text does not say anything about that.

Myrmex
2009-10-19, 01:47 AM

It's actually in the Feat Handbook, from a 3rd party publisher that escapes memory.

PhoenixRivers
2009-10-19, 03:40 AM
The problem is that you can use the feat with embrace/shun and a thought bottle for effectively every feat in the game that you qualify for.

Take Bonus feat 100 times, and Toughness.

I now have 101 feats.

Exhange Toughness with Embrace/Shun. I now lose toughness, and gain another feat.

Exhange the last bonus feat with Embrace/Shun. I lose that, which would cause me to lose toughness... But it's already gone. Now, I pick another feat...

Repeat Ad Nauseum, to exchange 101 feats (from Fighter 1) with every useful and useless feat you can think of...

As well as arbitrarily high HP, as you can take as many instances of Toughness as you like. Heck, take it 1000 times. Have a 3010 HP fighter at level 1.

Easiest way to make bonus feat non-shuffle worthy is to just alter the fighter rules. Allow them to take any feat that they qualify for with fighter bonus feats.

Kris Strife
2009-10-19, 09:55 AM

...?

Why do you own this? :smalleek: