PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Charisma damage rules

toddex
2009-10-17, 09:15 PM
Where are the rulings for charisma damage?

Starbuck_II
2009-10-17, 09:20 PM
Where are the rulings for charisma damage?

The DMG.
It says: A character with Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma 0 is unconscious.

Kylarra
2009-10-17, 09:20 PM
Healing Ability Damage

Ability damage is temporary, just as hit point damage is. Ability damage returns at the rate of 1 point per night of rest (8 hours) for each affected ability score. Complete bed rest restores 2 points per day (24 hours) for each affected ability score

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryanddeath.htm

A character with Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma 0 is unconscious.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm

Flickerdart
2009-10-17, 09:22 PM
Ego whip (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/egoWhip.htm) is a good way to hit for mass CHA damage, if you're looking for a way to punish min-maxey types.

toddex
2009-10-17, 09:59 PM
Ego whip (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/egoWhip.htm) is a good way to hit for mass CHA damage, if you're looking for a way to punish min-maxey types.

Lmfao well im not trying to be that much of a ****, but the guy will be working with a 3 char. So i'm trying to gauge how that will affect him as a character.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-17, 10:07 PM
In a practical sense...not at all. It's rare enough for DMs to take the time to come up with opponents that do stat damage, and when they do, they tend torwards poisons, etc...cha is a very rarely targeted stat. Its a risk, sure...everything is. It's a remarkably safe one, though.

Glimbur
2009-10-17, 10:13 PM
According to the SRD,

Charisma (Cha)

Charisma measures a character’s force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and physical attractiveness. This ability represents actual strength of personality, not merely how one is perceived by others in a social setting.

There's some vagueness in all the attributes in D&D, especially the mental ones. To me, Charisma is both a sense of self and your skill at projecting that self at others. If someone walks in the room and everyone turns to look, that's Charisma. So someone with low Charisma might be overlooked by NPC's, have trouble speaking up during party discussions, and otherwise be shy and unremarkable.

This of course has problems, ugliness in Half-Orcs is linked to their Charisma penalty, when it's still high Charisma by my definition if everyone notices and remembers you because you're ugly. But it's a start.

Dragonmuncher
2009-10-17, 10:21 PM
Right, so this 3 Cha guy is pretty homely, but not memorably so. Probably doesn't talk that much, and when he does, it's not loud or forceful. When he talks, people rarely remember.

I'm thinking like what's-his-name from Office Space, with the red stapler? Constantly mumbling whenever upset or put on the spot, if someone asks him a question he gets easily flummoxed, and he just sort of fades into the background. Even people who've known him for years just sort of think, "Oh yeah, Stuart, he works in computers or accounting or is a janitor or something."

That is, when they think of him at all.

sofawall
2009-10-17, 10:26 PM
The answer to the bonus question on my Introduction to Entrepreneurship exam was: "A red Swingline stapler."

Kylarra
2009-10-17, 10:28 PM
This of course has problems, ugliness in Half-Orcs is linked to their Charisma penalty, when it's still high Charisma by my definition if everyone notices and remembers you because you're ugly. But it's a start.Reminds me how Scion has epic appearance being either beauty or monstrousity.

Zeta Kai
2009-10-18, 12:03 AM
It's rare enough for ineffective coddling DMs to take the time to come up with opponents that do stat damage, and when they do, they tend torwards poisons, etc...

Fixed it for ya. :smallwink:

Superglucose
2009-10-18, 12:14 AM
Someone who's less charismatic is also, imo, lacking in the body language department. As a GM I try to make Charisma not be reflective at ALL on how someone looks (simply because it makes flavoring charisma as the powering stat of magic absurd... "I'm good at casting spells because I'm beautiful!" ?) but rather, as has been said before, their raw personality.

Charisma is how good you are at public speaking, how much you can convince people. It's not just knowing the right words, a charisma 18 could say "Hey guys, let's grab a burger" to a group of vegetarians who'd respond, "That sounds like a good idea!", while a charisma 3 would ask for a beer with the words "Could I please have a beer?" at a bar and have the bartender glaring at him and wanting to spit in his cup.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-18, 12:20 AM

Heh. In seriousness, a DM would have to be gunning for you for charisma damage to be that likely of a danger though. How many monsters have a charisma draining attack? It's just not that frequent of an ability.

toddex
2009-10-18, 12:28 AM

Well I have no idea how a DM can be 'ineffective', a DM is just a story teller not a judgement machine ment to punish his players.

lisiecki
2009-10-18, 02:54 AM
Charisma is how good you are at public speaking, how much you can convince people. It's not just knowing the right words, a charisma 18 could say "Hey guys, let's grab a burger" to a group of vegetarians who'd respond, "That sounds like a good idea!", while a charisma 3 would ask for a beer with the words "Could I please have a beer?" at a bar and have the bartender glaring at him and wanting to spit in his cup.

I would see Charisma 3 as being autistic to a level where the person is unable to function in society.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-18, 08:14 AM
If low charisma is autism spectrum, Charisma 3 is likely to have autism. About .2% of people have autism; and Charisma 3 is in the lowest .5% (based on 3d6 bell curve distribution). There's a decent chance Charisma 3 will have autism, and a practical guarantee they will fall in the autism spectrum (.6%)