PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] rules for metamagic interaction

jiriku
2009-10-18, 12:11 AM
I have many questions about how metamagic effects interact with one another when stacked on the same spell. Empower and Maximize are spelled out, but most others are vague. Where can I find rules or rulings or official opinions on questions like the following?

Fell drain/sculpt/extend + twin spell: do both spell effects drain a level/assume the new effect/have their durations doubled?
Empower + energy admixture: are the additional dice also empowered?

Godskook
2009-10-18, 12:14 AM
Empower + energy admixture: are the additional dice also empowered?

Almost definitely not. Maximize and Empower don't work that way, so logically, neither would admixture.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-18, 12:16 AM
I would say yes, since twin spell replicates the spell. It's cast twice at the same time, same target area. The entire point is that the spell is cast identically.

As for the second interaction, Empower does specify it boosts *all* variable, numerical effects of the spell. Thus, any variable numerical effects added by any means to the spell get boosted appropriately.

Edit: The way empower and maximize work together is a special case, spelled out in the rules. I wouldn't extend that method to apply elsewhere, and actually, Id make a case that they wouldn't need to specify this explicit interaction for these two metamagics if it was the general rule.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-18, 12:16 AM
The basic rule is that everything stacks, in the order chosen by the caster. It's in the FAQ somewhere and I believe in the Sage advice (one of the few issues they (A) agree on and (B) got right!), but while I used to have those bookmarked the WotC forum change has screwed those up. I'll see if I can find those again.

Regarding the specific examples:
Fell drain/sculpt/extend + twin spell: Both spells have the same area, both double the duration, both drain a level.
Empower + energy admixture: The extra energy dice are also empowered.

jiriku
2009-10-18, 12:39 AM
Hmm, so an twinned empowered energy admixtured spell deals normal damage +50% twice and admixtured damage +50% twice, for 6x normal damage?

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-18, 02:53 AM
Hmm, so an twinned empowered energy admixtured spell deals normal damage +50% twice and admixtured damage +50% twice, for 6x normal damage?

Precisely. For a +10 slot adjustment, I'd hope you get some bang for your buck. :smallwink: