PDA

View Full Version : In game templetes

Prax4788
2009-10-18, 12:41 AM
So im playing a 3.5 game and i am a druid wizard (also MT /AC)

but i a ton of both spells and was looking in to the lich

but the down sides of my world would kind of suck

so what other templates can i get in game ?

i already looked at lich and were wolf

im looking for something i can do without class levels in it
and without having to rebuild

feats and skills are find i have those to spare

AslanCross
2009-10-18, 05:50 AM
Templates are generally a bad idea since they come with Level Adjustment. Many of them are not worth it for PCs.

Zincorium
2009-10-18, 06:29 AM
If class levels are what you don't want to give up, you don't actually want most templates, because they keep you from getting class levels at all.

Necropolitan, from Libris Mortis, causes you to drop a level and then some, but it's like dying. There's no dead levels like with Lich. On the other hand, it's got the same societal downsides as lich and besides being undead there are no advantages (well, it's got semi-natural healing and turn resistance, but those aren't an advantage over not being undead at all).

Dragonborn, from Races of the Dragon, is a quasi-template that turns you into a half-dragon looking thingy, and you don't lose xp, just gold. Limited benefit, though.

Other than those, I can't think of anything that's not going to gimp you more than it helps.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-18, 06:55 AM
You're a Druid, aren't really likely to benefit heavily from a template since you're already a full caster. Still, I suppose something like Spellstitched Necropolitan might work for what you're looking for. It has no LA, and grants some decent benefits (various SLAs, and some other miscellany I seem to recall).

mostlyharmful
2009-10-18, 07:03 AM
which one's are worth having also depends on whether you're using LA buyoff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm)rules or not, if you aren't then most templates are disguised Suck for a caster with almost no exceptions

Prax4788
2009-10-18, 02:00 PM
well i was only looking in to the these cause i saw the lich got a +4 to mental stats which means more spells

Grumman
2009-10-18, 02:08 PM
well i was only looking in to the these cause i saw the lich got a +4 to mental stats which means more spells
You know what else gives you more spells? Four levels of Arcane Heirophant. Sorry to say it, but you're better off without the template.

oxybe
2009-10-18, 02:27 PM
well, if you have access to the sandstorm sourcebook, it has the "walker in the wastes", a 10 level prestige class that finishes off with you being a dry lich. which is like a lich only, IMO, better.

Prax4788
2009-10-18, 02:37 PM
You know what else gives you more spells? Four levels of Arcane Heirophant. Sorry to say it, but you're better off without the template.

well i agree im probably better off without lich was just looking to if there anything similar but i guess not

was looking for a way to boost mental stats without going in to magic items(getting those anyway) or class levels

o well there is always grafts

Grumman
2009-10-18, 07:15 PM
Is there a reason you're ruling out acquiring things like feral, mineral warrior, or half-golem in game? I mean, they are acquired templates.

Go get lost in the woods for a few hours, now you're feral.
Go have some crazy wizard make you the bionic commando, grats, you're half-golem.
Any int-based caster is going to be smart enough to not destroy their int-based spellcasting by taking the half-golem template. Half-golems aren't "bionic commandos", they're lobotomized freaks.

Prax4788
2009-10-18, 11:49 PM
Is there a reason you're ruling out acquiring things like feral, mineral warrior, or half-golem in game? I mean, they are acquired templates.

Go get lost in the woods for a few hours, now you're feral.
Go have some crazy wizard make you the bionic commando, grats, you're half-golem.

Given all that ambiguous stuff that you need to do to become a lich, a lot of templates would probably be easier to acquire anyways.

If nothing else, crystal keep has a list of tons and tons of templates (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Templates.pdf), some of which I'm sure will fit what you're looking for.
im not ruling those out i dint know about them that's exactly the kind of stuff i was looking for

Zincorium
2009-10-19, 06:49 AM
Feral isn't acquired, and penalizes intelligence. So not too bad for a starting druid, but not something that's even on the table.

Mineral warrior isn't worth the 2 levels of lost spells. Half golem is either awesome or sucktastic depending on your class... hint: wizard is one of the ones it sucks for, and it isn't too hot for druid either..

Getting bonuses to your physical stats, as a druid, isn't worth reducing your wildshape abilities, because that replaces physical stats. If you've got natural spell, why not spend all your time in wildshape?

Fluffles
2009-10-19, 08:17 AM
Templates are generally a bad idea since they come with Level Adjustment. Many of them are not worth it for PCs.

Actually, Insectile is a good one for Uber Chargers. But it's inherited, not acquired.

Douglas
2009-10-19, 08:29 AM
Any template can be acquired, provided you have a sufficiently powerful Wizard that Did It.