PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Unusual Skill checks

Emlyn
2009-10-18, 12:46 PM
This came up in a game I was running and I'm curious as to how it should have been resolved. A player wanted to jump out a window and throw a grappling hook to catch a ledge. Then the player who fell out the window tried to grab the rope. What checks should they have had to make?

AtopTheMountain
2009-10-18, 12:54 PM
I would say that the jumping would be Acrobatics, and the grabbing of the ledge and rope would be a straight-up Dex + 1/2 level check. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "through a grappling hook", though.

Indon
2009-10-18, 12:54 PM
Jumping out would be athletics. Throwing something would be an attack roll (Dex vs. some number appropriate for something not moving). Catching the rope could be athletics or acrobatics, depending.

Hal
2009-10-18, 12:55 PM
You could simplify it and make it a single Acrobatics check; boring, but simpler.

Or:

1) Athletics check to not hurt yourself jumping through the window

2) Ranged basic attack to hit the ledge properly with the grappling hook

3) Athletics/Acrobatics to hold on to the rope after it catches

As always, failure should be met with more chances to succeed and/or low/moderate damage. I really don't care for games where failing a single skill check/saving throw means you die.

This has nothing to do with my rogue who got pushed off of a 300 ft. tower and couldn't save to keep from being knocked off. Why do you ask?

AtopTheMountain
2009-10-18, 12:58 PM
Oh, threw a grappling hook. That makes more sense. Well, i'd call it an attack roll with dex + 1/2 level against an AC of around 15-18 for the ledge, depending on size. Catching the rope would be a Dex or Acrobatics check against around 13-15, or possibly higher.

Emlyn
2009-10-18, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the help. It appears I part of it right, though I didn't know about the range basic.