PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with a Campaign Setting

Arachu
2009-10-18, 01:06 PM
Sorry for the bland title :vaarsuvius:

Right, so I had an idea for a campaign setting in which the world is composed of several continents and inhabited by all manner of against-the-grain-type people. So far I have this;

Idea for a Campaign:

War between humanoids, and a war between humanoids and giant monsters such as Giants, Nightshades, and Titans.

Four known continents in the world:

Lothriin: Inhabited by the Sun Coalition – Humans in the west and Elves in the East. Elves are common. Terrain is mountainous to the south and hilly throughout. Technology level is Renaissance, with flintlocks and less armor. Enemies are Frost Giants and Trolls from the mountains.

Akhel: Inhabited by the Dwarven dictatorship of Mat Ehl, the Gnomish republic of Zherduf and the Halfling principality of Delmoor. No one trusts another, but the Gnomes trade with the Humans of Lothriin via merchant vessels. Technology level:
Dwarves and Gnomes: Renaissance
Halflings: Standard, with pistols
Terrain is swampy with plains to the east. Enemies are Hobgoblins from the plains and Troglodytes from the deeper forests.

Roukshoar: Inhabited by the Human empire of Uborre, the Gnomish dictatorship of Mebinta and the Orcish principality of Tenshar. Relations in Roukshoar are neutral at worst. Technology is Renaissance, with the Orcs also being very steampunk. Terrain is savannas with a desert in the northeast. Enemies are the Human principality of Kouthenn – when no foreign threats are presented, domestic ones emerge.
The PCs will start in Roukshoar.

Hainvas: Inhabited by the Halfling and Dwarven joint communism of Foros and the Elven republic of Movere. Diplomatic relations are strained and often tested - Foros is only two decades old and Movere is soon to collapse – and the Dwarves are considered a minority in Foros. Technology is Renaissance. Terrain is plains and forests, but many forests have been burned into wastelands. Enemies are the Bugbears to the south and Lizardfolk to the northwest.

Half-Elf stats:
+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength
Medium
30-ft. movement
Immunity to Sleep spells, and +2 saves vs. enchantments
1 bonus feat at 1st level
Elven Blood (counts as an Elf)
Favored Class: Any

Ankhel Dwarves are splendid craftsmen and willing traders, though sadly they have grown physically weaker ever since. Nevertheless, they produce firearms the rest of the world has yet to prototype (such as the emplaced gatling gun). In battle, Ankhel Dwarves win through marksmanship.

Ankhel Dwarf stats:
+2 Wisdom, -2 Dexterity
Medium
20-ft. movement
Low-Light Vision
Weapon Proficiencies: all flintlocks
Stability: +4 to resist being knocked over
+2 Saves vs. poison
+2 Saves vs. Spells/Spell-Like Effects
+2 Appraise checks
+2 Craft checks
Favored Class: Wizard

Ankhel Halflings are mighty warriors, sporting heavy armor and brandishing mighty blades. They are competent tacticians and excellent soldiers, ready to fight for their lives at any given moment.

Ankhel Halfling stats:
+2 Strength, -2 Wisdom
Small
25-ft. movement, 20-ft. in Medium or Heavy armor
+2 Climb, Jump and Listen checks
+1 bonus to all saving throws
+2 morale bonus vs. fear
+1 attack rolls with thrown weapons
Zealous Warrior: Ankhel Halflings can use Medium-sized blades (such as longswords) without a penalty, with the Greatsword being an exception.
Favored Class: Fighter

Roukshoar Orcs are brilliant and more advanced than the rest of the world. They build huge facilities and steam engines, although they still exhibit a degree of elitism; the dumber ones work in the mines. Roukshoar Orc miners have +4 Strength, -2 Intelligence and –2 Wisdom.

Roukshoar Orc stats:
+2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
Medium
30-ft. movement
Darkvision 60 ft.
+2 Craft (Engineering) checks
Favored Class: Any

Rouckshoar Gnomes have to be workers, miners and builders because Mebinta is a fledgling state. They’re tougher than the standard Gnome, but rough and distasteful to show for it.

Roukshoar Gnome stats:
+2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
Small
20-ft. movement
Darkvision 60 ft.

Yes, I realize not all of the stats are there. I come to the Playground (this particular visit) in order to ask for creative help. There are massive gaps in planning, and frankly the Gnomes aren't too far from normal (crafty Dwarves, steampunk Orcs, and... Gnomish traders. Damnit!)

Any help would be appreciated, especially with enemies. And Gnomes.

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-10-18, 03:36 PM
All of this looks interesting - you seem to have an eye for setting up a good level of conflict for PCs to get their teeth into.

Rouksoar:
As you're starting here, this continent will need most initial development. Of course, you might want to concentrate on one tiny region in detail, with big broad brushstroke to give an impression of the rest of the continent, and concentrate on develoing the next place the PCs will go.

Roukshoar: Inhabited by the Human empire of Uborre, the Gnomish dictatorship of Mebinta and the Orcish principality of Tenshar. Relations in Roukshoar are neutral at worst. Technology is Renaissance, with the Orcs also being very steampunk. Terrain is savannas with a desert in the northeast. Enemies are the Human principality of Kouthenn – when no foreign threats are presented, domestic ones emerge.
The human empire is probably going to be the region with most potential to be turbulent.
Look at empires in history: usually, an advanced or more efficient or otherwise powerful civilisation conquered and subjugated first their neighbours, then the barbarians further afield. Bringing conquered regions into the imperial fold is the most important thing for success. Where empires have left allowed a strong identity of difference to remain in the population, without the full benefits and privileges of the empire, conquered locals tend to rebel. Orwell's writings on revolution (in the back of 1984) are quite helpful if you've not covered this sort of thing in your studies.
Anyway, my point here is that you should probably invent a few separate regions within the empire, with slightly differing people, and then give each of them a nationalism and rebellion level, and then allow for trouble to crop up accordingly. Good adventures can be had in the build up to war.
It's great fun to create confusion and moral issues among players' characters by having a morally ambiguous rebellion. Look at the French Revolution - there were some terrifying and awful acts committed in the name of Liberty...

"Principality" usually means an area ruled over by the prince of a greater realm - is that what you mean in this case? Who rules over the orcs in Tenshar? Who rules over the humans in Kenthar? If it's the Uborrean Empire, then what I mentioned before with the rebelling regions would be a good theme - and remeber that there were plenty of occasions when one bit of the British Empire was helping Old Blighty fight another rebel province... It's nice to see the orcs fighting alongside humans.
If it's not the Uborreans, you need to invent someone - from one of the other continents?
Of course, you could just change the name of the region to avoid implying it owe fealty to anyone.

Arachu
2009-10-18, 04:35 PM
All of this looks interesting - you seem to have an eye for setting up a good level of conflict for PCs to get their teeth into.

Rouksoar:
As you're starting here, this continent will need most initial development. Of course, you might want to concentrate on one tiny region in detail, with big broad brushstroke to give an impression of the rest of the continent, and concentrate on develoing the next place the PCs will go.

Good point...

The human empire is probably going to be the region with most potential to be turbulent.
Look at empires in history: usually, an advanced or more efficient or otherwise powerful civilisation conquered and subjugated first their neighbours, then the barbarians further afield. Bringing conquered regions into the imperial fold is the most important thing for success. Where empires have left allowed a strong identity of difference to remain in the population, without the full benefits and privileges of the empire, conquered locals tend to rebel. Orwell's writings on revolution (in the back of 1984) are quite helpful if you've not covered this sort of thing in your studies.
Anyway, my point here is that you should probably invent a few separate regions within the empire, with slightly differing people, and then give each of them a nationalism and rebellion level, and then allow for trouble to crop up accordingly. Good adventures can be had in the build up to war.
It's great fun to create confusion and moral issues among players' characters by having a morally ambiguous rebellion. Look at the French Revolution - there were some terrifying and awful acts committed in the name of Liberty...

So, provinces within the states? This could work... I like the rebellion idea; Roakshoar's a tad too calm in the draft.

"Principality" usually means an area ruled over by the prince of a greater realm - is that what you mean in this case?

Yep.

Who rules over the orcs in Tenshar? Who rules over the humans in Kenthar? If it's the Uborrean Empire, then what I mentioned before with the rebelling regions would be a good theme - and remember that there were plenty of occasions when one bit of the British Empire was helping Old Blighty fight another rebel province... It's nice to see the orcs fighting alongside humans.
If it's not the Uborreans, you need to invent someone - from one of the other continents?
Of course, you could just change the name of the region to avoid implying it owe fealty to anyone.

Haven't gotten around to it yet; I'm still thinking out the nations themselves. Each of them is independent from the others, but typically stay within good graces. Kouthenn will have to be fairly large in order to fight a two-front war between Humans and gun-toting Orcs. It should probably have better technology and planning, too...

Where's Kenthar, though? You mean Kouthenn?

Also, you do make good points. I thank you for sharing them :elan:

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-10-19, 04:36 AM
Where's Kenthar, though? You mean Kouthenn?

Yes, that's what I meant. I don't know where I got "Kenthar" from. :smallredface:

What I'd recommend regarding rebellion and revolution is that you try to set the state of play among the provinces in such a way that certain ethnic or cultural groups within them have a grudge against the ruling classes.
Here's an example from my campaign setting, which in turn is inspired by European history:
The "Pseudo-Romans" conquered the "Celtic Lands" hundreds of years ago. There's been so much integration between the romans and celts since then, that one can hardly tell which ethnicity anyone belongs to - but in general, the aristocrats are descended from roman stock, and the peasants are celts.
Now the wars against the giants on the fringes of the civilisation have reduced the number of peasants in the land significantly, and the skilled workers among the peasants find themselves for the first time able to negotiate for better pay and conditions. Some nobles refuse to grant this - and the seeds of unrest are sown.
Clever lower-rank nobles see the divisions. Foremen among the peasants see the chance to gain power and control over their own lives. The dividing line between the haves and have-nots is ethnic - the "Roman" aristocrats rule in luxury, and the "Celtic" peasants are oppressed, but see that there is no reason why they should not be equal.
By emphasising the ethnic differences, the power of the masses can be harnessed to overthrow the oppressors. The low-ranking nobles make a big deal out of their ties to the celtic nobles and heroes of ancient times, and secretly aid the peasant leaders. These middle classes group together to take control of their lands - create a nation where once there was only a province of the empire.
This is a class struggle, but the call to arms is one of nationalism, and ethnic self-rule.
With only a tiny few changes to the names, this can fit into any campaign.

Plots I hung off the rise-of-nationalism hook: Resistance against an oppressive noble is stirred up by duplicitous charismatic foreigners - the PCs must choose sides, or try to stop the conflict peacefully. A symbolic item (magic or otherwise - it's obviously associated with the hero, like Excalibur with King Arthur) belong to an ancient hero is desired by a low-ranking noble wishing to prove his claims to be a descendant of that hero. Unscrupulous nationalists influence (through subtle advice, charms, blackmail, whatever) middle-to-high-ranking nobles to exact more oppressive measures against the peasants, thus inciting rebellion - the PCs must choose to aid the oppressive nobles or the unscrupulous nationalists, or somehow dissolve the situation
Hope that helps. These only need be background, side-quest level plots to add flavour to the setting.

Arachu
2009-10-19, 09:32 PM
Yes, that's what I meant. I don't know where I got "Kenthar" from. :smallredface:

Is not so bad. Happens to us all :smallsmile:

What I'd recommend regarding rebellion and revolution is that you try to set the state of play among the provinces in such a way that certain ethnic or cultural groups within them have a grudge against the ruling classes.
Here's an example from my campaign setting, which in turn is inspired by European history:
The "Pseudo-Romans" conquered the "Celtic Lands" hundreds of years ago. There's been so much integration between the romans and celts since then, that one can hardly tell which ethnicity anyone belongs to - but in general, the aristocrats are descended from roman stock, and the peasants are celts.
Now the wars against the giants on the fringes of the civilisation have reduced the number of peasants in the land significantly, and the skilled workers among the peasants find themselves for the first time able to negotiate for better pay and conditions. Some nobles refuse to grant this - and the seeds of unrest are sown.
Clever lower-rank nobles see the divisions. Foremen among the peasants see the chance to gain power and control over their own lives. The dividing line between the haves and have-nots is ethnic - the "Roman" aristocrats rule in luxury, and the "Celtic" peasants are oppressed, but see that there is no reason why they should not be equal.
By emphasising the ethnic differences, the power of the masses can be harnessed to overthrow the oppressors. The low-ranking nobles make a big deal out of their ties to the celtic nobles and heroes of ancient times, and secretly aid the peasant leaders. These middle classes group together to take control of their lands - create a nation where once there was only a province of the empire.
This is a class struggle, but the call to arms is one of nationalism, and ethnic self-rule.
With only a tiny few changes to the names, this can fit into any campaign.

This is true... In fact, I can see Kouthenn covering most of the continent, with Uborre as its rival nation and the others as once-bystanders caught up in the conflict. Kind of like the U.S. in WWII; Kouthenn fights Uborre, Mebinta and Tenshar suffered for it and sided with Uborre. Yep, that just might work...

Plots I hung off the rise-of-nationalism hook: Resistance against an oppressive noble is stirred up by duplicitous charismatic foreigners - the PCs must choose sides, or try to stop the conflict peacefully. A symbolic item (magic or otherwise - it's obviously associated with the hero, like Excalibur with King Arthur) belong to an ancient hero is desired by a low-ranking noble wishing to prove his claims to be a descendant of that hero. Unscrupulous nationalists influence (through subtle advice, charms, blackmail, whatever) middle-to-high-ranking nobles to exact more oppressive measures against the peasants, thus inciting rebellion - the PCs must choose to aid the oppressive nobles or the unscrupulous nationalists, or somehow dissolve the situation
Hope that helps. These only need be background, side-quest level plots to add flavour to the setting.

Indeed it does help.

Any ideas on the Gnomes? I made them a dictatorship, but I still can't picture a Gnome as... Not happy... (Except my character in this one campaign; he's all abyssal and stuff... But I often forget he isn't an Elf, for some reason, so... Yeah...)

Arachu
2009-10-20, 10:01 PM
I have an idea; I'll think of a pantheon for... Uborre.

Given that they're in a desert, they'll probably need:

Rain/Storms
Fire/War
The Sea
Predators
Prey
Night and Day or Night/Day
Life/The Living
Death/The Dead
and finally, The Desert itself.

Simplify to-
Fire, War, and The Desert
The Sea and Night/Day
Life and Prey Animals
Death and Predators

So, four core deities. Given their general disposition, I'd say-
Fire is Chaotic Evil (associate not with war itself, but bloodshed in general)
Water is Chaotic Neutral (uncontrollable and indifferent)
Life is Lawful Good
Death is Lawful Evil

So here goes the first of the Big Four of Uborre (crap, that rhymes :smallsigh:)
There's a few names and terms that will be covered later in the entry, and due to time constraints the other lists will have to be completed tomorrow. I did, however, manage to craft Shoriin, the god of Fire, War and Destruction, as well as a few divine forces that don't quite count as gods. Note that Yoriin is the god of the Ocean and Water, as well as Shoriin's sibling.

Shoriin, the god of Fire, is Chaotic Evil. His followers include mercenaries, interrogators, brigands and warlords. Shoriin's weapon is a shortspear, and his domains are Destruction, Fire, Luck and War.

Shoriin is depicted as a six-foot-tall man with no eyes and a skin that pulses with the reds, oranges and yellows of a flame. He wears a light breastplate, with a single bladed pauldron on the left side. His armor is made of blindingly brilliant bronze, as bright as the sun itself, and he wields a shortspear crafted of solid blue lightning called "Heaven's Herald" he stole from the god of storms Yoriin.
In his early days, he was a hateful being that destroyed everything he came across involuntarily, and he was banished to a land of black mud and red sun for three hundred years as punishment for his misdeeds. On his 252nd year, he made a pact with the Winds, sacrificing his eyes and heart for an early escape, and immediately took it upon himself to defeat the other gods. He failed in the struggle, yet still almost managed to defeat the gods and killed both the First Serpent and the World's Eye without his vision. Without the Eye to inform the gods of the world and the Serpent unable to carry out their will, the gods effectively lost their omniscience and Shoriin was able to hide deep in the mountains until he overcame his handicap.
It was later that he resumed the effort to overthrow the gods, and he stole his brother Yoriin's mightiest weapon, the spear of light Heaven's Herald. The Lightning never fully attuned to him, and he was unable to throw it properly, but when Yoriin tried to take it back he could no longer use it either. Ever unfazed, he acquiesced the spear back to Shoriin. To this day, Shoriin uses it like any mundane spear, and it remains masterless. The Herald once whispered in prophecy that only he that defeats its master shall ever truly hold it - it is yet unknown if it referred to its original master Yoriin or its current wielder Shoriin.

Nondeities:

The Winds:
The Uborrean personification of the Four Winds. The Winds are hundreds of of beings held together under a group consciousness that is selfish and uncaring by nature. The Winds were the primary trickster of Uborrean mythology, often tricking or dealing with the gods themselves. It was the Winds that took Shoriin's eyes and heart, rendering him blind and unfeeling to the world around him. It failed somewhat, given that Shoriin does have the capacity for mercy towards his sibling Yoriin.

Heaven's Herald:
The spear of lightning currently used by Shoriin. It has a mind of its own, and whenever thrown it chooses a target to strike, and never misses, but it will only obey its true master. Given that Shoriin gained it using dishonorable means yet is worthy, he can hold it, but its original master Yoriin has lost it in dishonor and can no longer hold it at all. It is because of this that lightning takes such unpredictable paths toward the ground, as if trying to decide what to strike. The Herald is also a being of prophecy that revels in telling others their darkest fates. It always announces its tellings in the same, uncaring voice.

The First Serpent and the World's Eye:
The First Serpent was both the world's first viper, and a devout servant of the gods. The Serpent carried out their will with deadly precision, acting as a potentially omnipresent influence when doing so. The World's Eye was a massive hawk that sailed behind the sun as it arced across the sky, reporting all it saw to the gods. It didn't make them omniscient, but it gave them unending sight that made it impossible to escape, fight, or abandon them without their knowledge. These two beings were the first obstacles in Shoriin's mission, and he had to kill them without indicating that he ever arrived. He succeeded, as he took cover beneath the earth during the day and the Eye could not see him. Without the Eye and Serpent, the gods must personally involve themselves with all of their affairs, severely impeding their efficiency and power.

Significance of the Heart:
Much like the Egyptians of Earth, the Uborreans believe that the heart is the anchor of the soul and that without it, you have nothing to animate your body and you die. If a god loses his heart, it takes all of his emotion and compassion, save anger, and leaves him with only cold, merciless logic to direct his activities. When Shoriin lost his heart to the Winds, he became even more hateful and bitter, and because he can no longer forgive he still pursues the gods. He spared Yoriin because something of his compassion remained, and Yoriin was the only god not to persecute him.