PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming Epic DR

koeldflare
2009-10-18, 04:11 PM
Hey guys, I have a quick (and probably simple) question for you:

How do you overcome Epic DR? I'm looking specifically for either a feat or a weapon property that lets you do this.

Thanks guys!

Edit: If you guys could quote the source of your info that would be super as well.

mostlyharmful
2009-10-18, 04:13 PM
a high Caster level Greater magic weapon from the party buffer and the bane property?

Eldariel
2009-10-18, 04:14 PM
Get a +6 weapon, duh. Really, there are few ways to bypass epic DR without getting epic weapons.

There IS, however, a way: Bane can push a non-epic (+4 or +5) weapon into Epic territory when fighting the Bane-targeted enemy (the bonus increases by +2 vs. those); especially easy with bows using Raptor Arrows which are Bane: Everything. Force [Magic Item Compendium] bow can also penetrate any DR.

Then some class features, such as Eternal Blade's [Tome of Battle] level 2 ability and Factotum's [Dungeonscape] level 11 ability that negate any DR. That's about it (other than doing energy damage or something else that DR doesn't apply to).

EDIT: A harmless ninja!

lsfreak
2009-10-18, 04:14 PM
You need an enhancement bonus of +6 or greater. Which yes, would include a weapon with a bane property that's already at a +4 via GMW or some other source.

Zaq
2009-10-18, 04:27 PM
Huh. I'm just recommending stupid and useless Truespeak-based abilities all over the place today.

The useless prestige class Disciple of the Word, from the Truenaming chapter of Tome of Battle, is, as I said, useless. It's basically a Monk class that uses Truespeak. (Yo dawg, I heard you like weak-ass classes, so we put a weak-ass class in your weak-ass class so you can fail to contribute while you fail to contribute!) However, at class level 6th they do get the ability to burn a Stunning Fist use and make a Truespeak check to negate DR, which explicitly includes DR/epic if they make a DC 45 Truespeak check.

I don't recommend that you do this, but technically, it does work. I just know that no one else will mention this (for good reason), so I feel that I should bring it up.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-10-18, 04:57 PM
The useless prestige class Disciple of the Word, from the Truenaming chapter of Tome of Battle, is, as I said, useless. It's basically a Monk class that uses Truespeak. (Yo dawg, I heard you like weak-ass classes, so we put a weak-ass class in your weak-ass class so you can fail to contribute while you fail to contribute!)

I'd have done a spit take had I need been eating peanut butter.

Glimbur
2009-10-18, 06:15 PM
A Shadow Striking weapon (here) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060303a&page=7) might or might not work. It says it overcomes any DR, but it also says it can strike as "any material or alignment" to break DR.

Arbitrarity
2009-10-18, 06:40 PM
Transmuting or Shadowstriking weapons blow through all types of DR after a hit, IIRC.

Splendor
2009-10-18, 06:52 PM
Sense Weakness (Draconomicon pg 106)
Requires: Int 13, Weapon Focus, Combat Expertise
Benefit: Ignore 5 point of hardness or DR (regardless of material or enhancement bonus to your weapon)

Draz74
2009-10-18, 07:14 PM
Transmuting or Shadowstriking weapons blow through all types of DR after a hit, IIRC.

Shadowstriking, as opposed to Transmuting, does not require hitting once before it starts magically penetrating DR. That's why it costs more (+3 instead of +2).

Shadowstriking is from Tome of Magic. Transmuting is from Magic Item Compendium.

There are also a few maneuvers from Tome of Battle, especially the Stone Dragon discipline, that overcome all DR. Most popular is the Level 2 Mountain Hammer maneuver, with no prerequisites; any character who's at least Level 6 can gain access to it, 1/encounter, by spending a feat or buying a 3000 gp belt.