PDA

View Full Version : Sigil Prep, 4th Edition and YOU!

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-18, 04:11 PM
Does anyone know about the 4th Edition update of Sigil Prep? I guess it must be pretty dated by now, but I just noticed it and wanted to know how deep do the changes go.

I must admit, Sigil Prep kinda makes me want to consider thinking about giving 4th Edition a bit more than a cursory look.

Shadow_Elf
2009-10-18, 04:58 PM
Does anyone know about the 4th Edition update of Sigil Prep? I guess it must be pretty dated by now, but I just noticed it and wanted to know how deep do the changes go.

I must admit, Sigil Prep kinda makes me want to consider thinking about giving 4th Edition a bit more than a cursory look.

Sigil Prep? Are you referring to the doughnut-shaped demiplane ruled over by the Lady of Pain, or something else?

Because the planar city of Sigil is outlined variously in the Manual of the PLanes and the Dungeon Master's Guide 2. Its good stuff, but I am not one to use a generic setting, so the standing fluff does not do me much good.

TheLogman
2009-10-18, 04:59 PM
I did not know about this.

I really liked the 3.5 Sigil Prep, and am curious how it is doing in 4.0.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-18, 05:01 PM
Sigil Prep? Are you referring to the doughnut-shaped demiplane ruled over by the Lady of Pain, or something else?

Enter, berk, and know the dark of it. (http://sigilprep.com/)

tarbrush
2009-10-18, 05:17 PM
We've converted over and are getting some considerable amount of cheap gags about how half the PC's faculties no longer exist.

And what do you mean dated? Pat updates it maniacally.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-18, 05:22 PM
By dated, I mean that the conversion happened sometime ago.

Also, I found the curriculum page.

If anything can make me want to play 4th Edition, it's definitely Sigil Prep.

tarbrush
2009-10-18, 05:25 PM
We only switched over a month or so ago cause the group was divided over it. So the conversion's pretty recent. Tbh, SP works equally well in 4e and 3.5. The main thing you need is a detailed cosmology and a sense of the absurd.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-18, 05:32 PM
We only switched over a month or so ago cause the group was divided over it. So the conversion's pretty recent. Tbh, SP works equally well in 4e and 3.5. The main thing you need is a detailed cosmology and a sense of the absurd.

But it's easier if the system is easier to make fun of. While there were substantial changes between 2nd Edition and 3rd Edition, it is nothing compared to between 3rd and 4th Editions. So a whole lot of obvious jokes crop up if you make a switch in-game.

captainswift
2009-10-19, 10:11 PM
I started doing web site adjustments as soon as the 4e books came out, mainly because I ran out of 3.5 material. (I could have gone back and done all the Prestige Classes, but I also wanted to stay current).

As tarbrush said, I only started running the game in 4e recently (which has me going back and updating all the pages on the site; no mean task, let me tell you.

For me, 4e is the better system for Sigil Prep, just because the college metaphor works so well. Your class is your major. By Junior year (11th level), you really want to think about the emphasis you want to take in your major (paragon path), and at 21st, you may be thinking grad school (epic destiny). You can minor via multiclassing, and with hybrid upcoming, you can also double-major.

Still and all, I will continue to make jokes about earlier editions. Especially as I work on completing my collection of 2e hardbacks.

bosssmiley
2009-10-20, 05:03 AM
Enter, berk, and know the dark of it. (http://sigilprep.com/)

Agh! Wikistraction threat. Don't click that link! :smallbiggrin: