PDA

View Full Version : A Brand New World to See - Pokemon II

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-18, 05:39 PM
You can have the honor, Fiddler. :smallbiggrin: I say give it a catchy name!

Sorry to disappoint you there. :smalltongue:

Anyway, welcome to the second Pokemon thread, the first can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109233).

So, let's get to talking about everybody's favorite virtual fighting monsters. Well, assuming none of you like Digimon.

Or Monster Rancher.

Or... *goes off on a tangent*

Anyway... when we left off, I was complaining about Nintendo not releasing a patch for a America when it already exists for Japanese fans, and we were helping tgva8889 find a good team for his HeartGold Let's Play playthrough.

Mattarias, King.
2009-10-18, 05:57 PM
:smallbiggrin: Hey, who's disappointed? I love Johto!

:smalltongue: I'm also partial to digimon, but I'm a much bigger fan of Pokemon.

Doo do do do doo-do.. Darn it, now I've got that theme stuck in my head. :smalltongue:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-18, 06:11 PM
Doo do do do doo-do.. Darn it, now I've got that theme stuck in my head. :smalltongue:

You seem... not happy. :smalltongue:

Mattarias, King.
2009-10-18, 07:03 PM
You seem... not happy. :smalltongue:

I do? :smalltongue: Nah, sorry if I keep giving out that vibe. :smalltongue: I'm bad with the expressing thing..

:smalltongue: Anyways, some discussion.. Anyone trying to avoid spoilers for the new games? I've personally utterly purged serebii from my bookmarks.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-18, 07:09 PM
SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE, IT WAS HIS SLED, SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE, THEY BLEW IT UP, DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER!!* (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItWasHisSled)

Geno9999
2009-10-18, 07:37 PM
New story spoilers for what's just a remake (HS&SS)? Or are you talking about DP&Plt? Also: SPOILERZ!!!
(http://xkcd.com/109/)
BTW I really haven't gotten around making my Water-Steel pseudo-gym team. I need a Skarmory and thinking of getting a Feligatr as soon as HS and SS hit our shores.

chiasaur11
2009-10-18, 07:50 PM
Spoilers?

Like the Winslow being the next promotional giveaway?

Or like Spock dying?

In other words, lies or non sequiturs? Although catching the Winslow would be awesome. Hi!

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-18, 07:53 PM
Or like
the fact that Silver i-

Wait, that IS a spoiler.

Flarowon
2009-10-18, 07:56 PM
Yay! A new Pokemon thread! By the time I got around too the first one, it was already dead. So anyway, who's looking forward to the next installments, HeartGold and SoulSilver? I sure am. *childish giggle*

Edit: Just became a victim to my first ninja. Good going.

Mattarias, King.
2009-10-18, 08:01 PM
:eek: NOOOOOOOO!

:smalltongue: And I meant like, the new additions. The tweaks, where any newer-gen pokemon/legendaries are gonna be located, stuff like that.

..Also, is Skarmory really all that and a bag of chips? I've never encountered one that gave me any trouble..

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-18, 08:08 PM
Edit: Just became a victim to my first ninja. Good going.

This is going to happen a lot. My condolences.

..Also, is Skarmory really all that and a bag of chips? I've never encountered one that gave me any trouble..

I tried raising one once. It sucked.

Geno9999
2009-10-18, 08:17 PM
Well I figured that it fit the group... slightly. Only because of it's a Flying-Steel and I'm trying to go with "Empoleon's Army/Airforce/Navy." Maybe I'll just have a Magnezone and Lucario as my other Steels.

Crossblade
2009-10-18, 09:48 PM
After playing my gf's FireRed, one concern I have is the whole which 'pokemon are caught where' thing. I don't want to have to beat the whole game and Red just to find a wild Aron on my 20th passing of Routh 32 (or whatever). With FR, I was hoping the new pokemon would be available from the get-go. That would have made things awesome right off the back!

Mattarias, King.
2009-10-18, 10:21 PM
I certainly hope they don't appear until Mount Silver.. But that's just me wanting to relive the glory days.

Anyways, I think Skarmory would definitely fit thematically with your Empoleon theme, Geno. I was just wondering why it's on so many other teams, with people calling it the bee's knees and all.

Dihan
2009-10-19, 03:22 AM
Skarmory is basically a really defensive spiker who can whirlwind, roost and use brave bird.

Green Bean
2009-10-19, 05:16 AM
I certainly hope they don't appear until Mount Silver.. But that's just me wanting to relive the glory days.

Anyways, I think Skarmory would definitely fit thematically with your Empoleon theme, Geno. I was just wondering why it's on so many other teams, with people calling it the bee's knees and all.

Back in the old days of metagame, half the competitive teams had SkarmBliss (Skarmory + Blissey) for tanking purposes. Ultimately, it became a victim of its own popularity, and once most teams began packing a counter, SkarmBliss' glory days were over. Still, the two are pretty popular choices, even if Magnezone bends Skarmory over its knees and does kinky stuff to it.

Mattarias, King.
2009-10-19, 03:43 PM
:smallconfused: I.. See.. Okay then. I still haven't had a steel-type take a fire blast from my starter and survive without some sort of shenanigans..

...Also.. Magnezone.. Has no knees. :smallconfused:

Mando Knight
2009-10-19, 03:56 PM
:smallconfused: I.. See.. Okay then. I still haven't had a steel-type take a fire blast from my starter and survive without some sort of shenanigans..

The idea is to pull Skarmory away for Blissey when faced with something that probably has Fire Blast. The primary counter to that is Magnezone, which traps Steels then annihilates Skarmory with a high-powered Thunderbolt. Without Blissey, Skarmory becomes slightly less useful, though Empoleon, Vaporeon, and Swampert can all sub in for Blissey to cover Skarmory's vulnerability to Fire Blast, and Magnezone and Swampert can cover Electric quite handily. Heatran's another option, being Fire/Steel...

Green Bean
2009-10-19, 04:02 PM

...Also.. Magnezone.. Has no knees. :smallconfused:

It has no knees that you can see... :smalltongue:

Anyway, it's failpost time. I finally finished my first ever IV breeding program. Since I'm a ridiculously anal perfectionist, this took forever, but I finally ended up with Sybil the Adamant Bagon. These are Sybil's IVs;

HP: 31
Atk: 31
Def: 23
SpA: 0
SpD: 13
Speed: 31

On a side note, I now know that I never want to IV breed again, what with the monotony, the disturbing amount of eugenics, and incest on a level that'd disturb the Habsburgs. Anyway, little Sybil was carefully EV trained, leveled, then brought to the Battle Hall. Surely, I thought, such a god among ordinary 'mons would have no problem getting the Silver Print. Right up until I get knocked out in the 6th round. Lousy Focus Sash'd Weaviles. :smallmad:

Crossblade
2009-10-19, 08:36 PM
It has no knees that you can see... :smalltongue:
Well if you can't see the knee, does that make it a Wee-knee (weenie)? It can reproduce with Ditto after all.

Anyway, it's failpost time. I finally finished my first ever IV breeding program. ....Adamant Bagon.
the monotony, the disturbing amount of eugenics, and incest on a level that'd disturb the Habsburgs. Anyway,...carefully EV trained, leveled, then brought to the Battle Hall. Surely, ...a god among ordinary 'mons would have no problem getting the Silver Print. ... Lousy Focus Sash'd Weaviles. :smallmad:

Try a Cradily.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kC1yianhuU
This guy's would have MUCH less incest (At the start of the lineage at least). Breed a Male Tentacruel with a Female Corsola to get a Male Corsola with Recover and Barrier.
Breed that little guy with a female Cradily (preferably with a nature that ups def or sp.def and downs atk or sp.def) and tech it Toxic.
Battles will be long and drawn out, but your survivability should go through the roof.

(It won't work against Poison or Steel types though)
I haven't tried this 'mon myself though, as I don't own anything past gold yet. :(

Green Bean
2009-10-19, 10:21 PM
Try a Cradily.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kC1yianhuU
This guy's would have MUCH less incest (At the start of the lineage at least). Breed a Male Tentacruel with a Female Corsola to get a Male Corsola with Recover and Barrier.
Breed that little guy with a female Cradily (preferably with a nature that ups def or sp.def and downs atk or sp.def) and tech it Toxic.
Battles will be long and drawn out, but your survivability should go through the roof.

(It won't work against Poison or Steel types though)
I haven't tried this 'mon myself though, as I don't own anything past gold yet. :(

Well, that sort of build is good for PvP action against folks overly enamored with legendaries. Unfortunately, long and drawn out doesn't work so well in Battle Frontier, mainly because a) more turns = more opportunity for the RNG to mess you up, and b) getting the Battle Hall gold print takes 170 separate battles, and it already takes long enough when you're OHKOing them.

tgva8889
2009-10-19, 11:27 PM
Yeah, long-drawn out battles in Frontier are bad because the longer your streak, the higher your opponent's inherent Crit chance. They crit you, and you pretty much lose. It's how Pokemon is.

I only ever play Factory, because that's a lot of fun. Requires minimal work, and I get to see some interesting Pokemon do battle. I never would have expected Aipom to be so stellar, for example.

...and we were helping tgva8889 find a good team for his HeartGold Let's Play playthrough.

Well, I might do a Let's Play, if I buy a software that lets me actually download the rom from the game disk rather than performing illegal internet activities to play it. I'm still deciding how much it's worth it.

So far the only thing decided is Feraligator.

Crossblade
2009-10-20, 02:38 AM
Ya. Like I said, I don't know how Battle Frontier works, as I've only owned up to Gold. :(
My bad then.

Get a Zubat! They're a lot better in Gen4 since they have Poison Fang.
And Sandshrew learns Rollout at lv 21, that's a good boost too to an otherwise previously bland pokemon.

Mando Knight
2009-10-20, 07:16 AM
Yeah, long-drawn out battles in Frontier are bad because the longer your streak, the higher your opponent's inherent Crit chance. They crit you, and you pretty much lose. It's how Pokemon is.

I didn't know that about the Frontier...

Green Bean
2009-10-20, 09:36 AM
I didn't know that about the Frontier...

The important thing to remember is that they call it "Hax Tower" for a reason. There are a ton of stories out there about getting successfully Fissure'd three times in a row, or entire teams not getting an attack off because their entire team did nothing but "hurt itself in its confusion" for ten straight turns. Sure, there's a little confirmation bias there, but most agree the Frontier tips things in the CPU's favor.

Linkavitch
2009-10-20, 12:15 PM
SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE, IT WAS HIS SLED, SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE, THEY BLEW IT UP, DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER!!* (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItWasHisSled)

You know, it's sad, I've seen all of those movies?

Lunix Vandal
2009-10-20, 01:02 PM
And then, y'know, if a battle lasts ten or twenty rounds you've "almost" guaranteed that someone crits, just because math is awesome like that. (Emphasis on almost.) Calculations in teh spoiler. For "normal" moves, there's a 6.25% crit rate.
So, the probability that your opponent doesn't crit on the first turn is .9375 .
The probability that you make it through the first three turns of attacks without getting crit on is then (.9375)^3 ≈ .8240 => an 18.6% chance that they did crit.
Tanking for six turns? P(6 non-crits) = (.9375)^6 ≈ .6790 => They'll have crit at least once in around 33.1% of your fights.
Ten? P(10 non-crits) = (.9375)^10 ≈ .5245 => a 48.35% chance they blew past your defenses at least once.
Twenty? P(20 non-crits) = (.9375)^20 ≈ .2751 => a 72.49% chance of "Cradily got pwnd in the face. In the face, man."

But then, y'know, what about Slash, Stone Edge, and the rest of those "crits more often" moves? The ones with a 12.5% crit rate?
P(1) = .875
P(3) = (.875)^3 ≈ .6699
P(6) = (.875)^6 ≈ .4488
P(10) = (.875)^10 ≈ .2631
P(20) = (.875)^20 ≈ .0692 => At least one crit in twenty rounds, over 93% of the time.

Or how about the "worst-case" scenario, crits-wise -- a Super Luck Absol with a Razor Claw/Scope Lens that spams (Night) Slash, Psycho Cut, and Shadow Claw? The thing's got an even 50-50 crit rate!
P(1) = .5
P(3) = (.5)^3 = .125 => Already worse than a high-crit move for ten rounds or a normal for thirty
P(6) = (.5)^6 = .015625
P(10) = (.5)^10 ≈ .00097656
P(20) = (.5)^20 ≈ .000000095367 => You got crit on at least once (almost certainly more) in over 99.9999% of your fights. Ouch. Imagine what Rozencrantz and Guildenstern felt like!

chiasaur11
2009-10-20, 01:09 PM
And then, y'know, if a battle lasts ten or twenty rounds you've "almost" guaranteed that someone crits, just because math is awesome like that. (Emphasis on almost.) Calculations in teh spoiler. For "normal" moves, there's a 6.25% crit rate.
So, the probability that your opponent doesn't crit on the first turn is .9375 .
The probability that you make it through the first three turns of attacks without getting crit on is then (.9375)^3 ≈ .8240 => an 18.6% chance that they did crit.
Tanking for six turns? P(6 non-crits) = (.9375)^6 ≈ .6790 => They'll have crit at least once in around 33.1% of your fights.
Ten? P(10 non-crits) = (.9375)^10 ≈ .5245 => a 48.35% chance they blew past your defenses at least once.
Twenty? P(20 non-crits) = (.9375)^20 ≈ .2751 => a 72.49% chance of "Cradily got pwnd in the face. In the face, man."

But then, y'know, what about Slash, Stone Edge, and the rest of those "crits more often" moves? The ones with a 12.5% crit rate?
P(1) = .875
P(3) = (.875)^3 ≈ .6699
P(6) = (.875)^6 ≈ .4488
P(10) = (.875)^10 ≈ .2631
P(20) = (.875)^20 ≈ .0692 => At least one crit in twenty rounds, over 93% of the time.

Or how about the "worst-case" scenario, crits-wise -- a Super Luck Absol with a Razor Claw/Scope Lens that spams (Night) Slash, Psycho Cut, and Shadow Claw? The thing's got an even 50-50 crit rate!
P(1) = .5
P(3) = (.5)^3 = .125 => Already worse than a high-crit move for ten rounds or a normal for thirty
P(6) = (.5)^6 = .015625
P(10) = (.5)^10 ≈ .00097656
P(20) = (.5)^20 ≈ .000000095367 => You got crit on at least once (almost certainly more) in over 99.9999% of your fights. Ouch. Imagine what Rozencrantz and Guildenstern felt like!

Dead?

Wow. Bad odds even without cheating, and considering the computer cheats like nobody's business in the tower...

Vorpal word
2009-10-20, 05:39 PM
Yes! A new thread! I don't have to look back 300 posts to understand what's going on!

On a more relevant note, how does this plan look for Typhlosion in Soulsilver?

Item: Leftovers
IVs: As good as possible given Hidden Power requirements
(31, 31, 31, 30, 31, 31 ideal)
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 HP
Nature: Modest
Ability: Blaze
Moves: Eruption, Solarbeam, Sunny Day, Hidden Power (Ice)

PS: This is the first time I've actually considered EVs and IVs, so it may suck.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-20, 05:41 PM
Haha... you want all 31's but one... which is a 30?

HAHAHAA!!!

I hope you have time or can hack.

Mando Knight
2009-10-20, 06:32 PM
Yes! A new thread! I don't have to look back 300 posts to understand what's going on!

PS: This is the first time I've actually considered EVs and IVs, so it may suck.

Never aim for specific IVs for your Starter. If you want a Starter 'mon with a specific IV set, breed it. You'll have much better chances that way. (rather than a 1 in 31^6 chance)

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-20, 06:40 PM
Hey, guys! I figured out the typo with the DPtP for the new title of the book!

Now, why am I posting this here? Because... it's really DPPt!

This is actually a spin-off, where OotS gang goes to Sinnoh!

chiasaur11
2009-10-20, 06:45 PM
Hey, guys! I figured out the typo with the DPtP for the new title of the book!

Now, why am I posting this here? Because... it's really DPPt!

This is actually a spin-off, where OotS gang goes to Sinnoh!

That boy’s crazy. Put him in one of them crazy buckets.

tonberrian
2009-10-20, 07:00 PM

Now, let's run through the math here. Stats alone, that's 32^6 = 2^30, or roughly 1 billion (2^10 = 1024, 2^30 = (2^10)^3, so about 1000^3, or a billion). There are roughly 31 million seconds in a year (that's total, not counting time you would need to sleep). Even assuming that you didn't sleep, and it took you 1 second to get your starter and calculate its IV's accurately, it would take you (on average) roughly 31 years to get the stats ALONE. Getting the matching nature would multiply that time by 25. I don't know about you, but I can think of better ways of spending the next eight centuries. Breeding would cut this time into something actually able to be done in a human lifetime.

tgva8889
2009-10-21, 02:43 AM
Heracross is confirmed to be acquirable. Also rare. But still acquirable! I will myself be hunting one down before I face Whitney.

Dihan
2009-10-21, 04:10 AM
Technically all Pokemon except nineteen legendaries and thirteen non-legendaries are available in Hg/Ss. Most of those thirteen are starters or are evolutions that are gained from levelling in a specific location.

You can even catch lvl 6 Rapidash in route 22.

Crossblade
2009-10-21, 06:21 AM
Half way down this page:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_HeartGold_and_SoulSilver_Versions

is a list of version exclusive pokemon. All the starters are available, you can only pick 1 of each set though.

My gf and I talked about getting the games, but it'd be hard for me to decide which one I'd want... gold has all my favorites, but I own red and gold, so I've trained all of them, and none from soulsilver. So it's a toss up between ones I love vs ones I've never tried before.

Jamin
2009-10-21, 08:46 AM
Looks like I will be getting Heart Gold as it seems to have better exclusives.

Green Bean
2009-10-21, 09:05 AM
Looks like I will be getting Heart Gold as it seems to have better exclusives.

Heh, I literally had the exact opposite reaction. Who cares about Sableye? I want me a Skarmory! :smallbiggrin:

Dihan
2009-10-21, 09:20 AM
I've never owned a game with Growlithe in it so I want HG just for that. Then again, I really want to use a Teddiursa in my game.

In my opinion (for rough equivalents using the lowest form available):

Meowth > Mankey - SS
Growlithe > Vulpix - HG
Spinarak > Ledyba - HG
Skarmory > Mantyke - SS
Mawile > Sableye - SS
Gligar > Delibird - HG
Baltoy > Gulpin - HG
Teddiursa > Phanpy - SS
Don't care > Legendaries

Half and half.

Kris Strife
2009-10-21, 10:02 AM
Can you trade between HG and SS and DP&P?

Dihan
2009-10-21, 10:14 AM
Yes. There's even a National Park in there somewhere.

chiasaur11
2009-10-21, 10:29 AM
Looks alright. Definitely considering getting a new Silver.

Beat the old one entirely before the battery died, and who wouldn't want a Shiny Garados?

Mando Knight
2009-10-21, 10:47 AM
Can you trade between HG and SS and DP&P?

It would be rather silly if you couldn't.

Crossblade
2009-10-21, 11:45 AM
In my opinion (for rough equivalents using the lowest form available):
Half and half.

Wow, you have almost the opposite opinion of me. And as for Sableye, it's ghost/dark. That gives it Immunity to Normal, Fighting and Psychic; and no weaknesses. Now I've never played a game with Sableye in it, and sure, it looks like it has poor stats, but the resistances look pretty badass.

Ladian > Spinarak (punch moves, looks and bug moves in g4)
Persian > Primeape (moves, was other way for looks before I double checked moments ago)
Vulpix = Growlithe (never trained Vulpix, but other is so cool looking)
Gligar > Delibird (Gligar's cool type mix and looks)
Skarmory > Mantine
Donphan > Ursaring (never trained Donphan)
Sableye > Mawhile (cool type, mawhile looks ugly)
Baltoy > Gulpin (gulpin looks dumb)
Don't care for rest.

So, that's SS, SS, SS, HG, SS, HG, HG, HG. Also a tie.
Ladian, Persian, Vulpix, Skarmory
vs
Gligar, Donphan, Sableye, Baltoy
SS has variety, HS has looks. (Though I hate Gligar's evolution's looks)

But I think my gf said she'd want HG, since I trained most of their exclusives with Red/Yellow/Gold.

I wonder if the Pokewalker will be released in the North American version. Flying and Surfing Pikachus would be neat.

Raroy
2009-10-21, 12:08 PM
Well, I'm getting Soul Sliver just for mawhile. And I'm not crazy.

Prime32
2009-10-21, 12:19 PM
Wow, you have almost the opposite opinion of me. And as for Sableye, it's ghost/dark. That gives it Immunity to Normal, Fighting and Psychic; and no weaknesses. Now I've never played a game with Sableye in it, and sure, it looks like it has poor stats, but the resistances look pretty badass.DPP has Spiritomb, which is basically Sableye with better stats... and Levitate, as if it didn't have enough immunities.

Mando Knight
2009-10-21, 12:20 PM
I'm looking at getting HeartGold because I don't have a Baltoy, and I've already got more Skarmory and Meowth than I need. On top of that, it's HeartGold.

Dihan
2009-10-21, 03:20 PM
DPP has Spiritomb, which is basically Sableye with better stats... and Levitate, as if it didn't have enough immunities.

Indeed. Sableye was made redundant with Spiritomb.

Green Bean
2009-10-21, 04:06 PM
On top of that, it's HeartGold.

Ah, but it's SoulSilver. Alliteration always outranks hunks of metal. :smalltongue:

Prime32
2009-10-21, 04:09 PM
The first title of the pair always sells more copies, so if you pick up the second your Mons will be in higher demand in trades. :smallwink:

Flarowon
2009-10-21, 04:57 PM
Does anyone else here get together with their ultra-savvy brother and bulbapedia to create an awesome (or possibly lame, if your brother is screwing with you) team for a run before even starting it? I did for my secind run of Pt and made one up for HG/SS.

Dihan
2009-10-21, 05:06 PM
I just ask myself what I fancy using. I try to either use Pokemon I've never used before or those that no one uses.

I definitely know that my team will have a Teddiursa in it.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-21, 05:29 PM
Has anybody else seen this? (http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Apple_iPhone_Application_infringes_on_Bulbapedia_l icense).

This saddens me greatly. Especially since there haven't been any updates in 6 days.

Flarowon
2009-10-21, 05:34 PM
My plan is:
Cyndquil
Staryu
Mareep
Pidgey
Sandshrew
Legendary

Please comment on how terrible it probably is.

Edit: You again? Stop ninja'ing me!

Edit 2: Cripes. My brother identified me by this post. My secret is revealed.

tgva8889
2009-10-21, 07:44 PM
Technically all Pokemon except nineteen legendaries and thirteen non-legendaries are available in Hg/Ss. Most of those thirteen are starters or are evolutions that are gained from levelling in a specific location.

Yes, but anything that's only catchable after I beat Lance the first time may as well be not acquirable, because unless I train a Parasect, I'm not going to be very able to catch most of them, and by the time I can I'll already have a team and not be able to use them through most of the game. I know that the first game I got really attached to my Pokemon was Gold/Silver era, because you have them for so friking long. I'm not gonna want to switch out after I beat Lance in almost every case. Whereas as soon as I am feasibly able to have Headbutt, I can catch a Heracross and be super-happy because I have a guy who gets Brick Break with STAB at like level 19 before the normal-type Gym.

For SoulSilver, I'm planning on using some old favorites of mine for beating the game. I'll be getting either Cyndaquil or Chikorita (Chikorita's my favorite, but Cyndaquil's so useful because I don't like the other fire-types in these games), Lugia, Quagsire (because I've wanted to use one for a while) and a bunch of other guys that I just feel like using. I put up HeartGold to vote because a) I don't know what I want to use and b) For HeartGold, I don't know what to use at all. I would like to try some new guys, but I feel like I've used all the Pokemon I'm interested in really using (except a team of 6 Smearagle, but god knows the amount of effort I would have to go through to do that is ridiculous).

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-10-21, 07:56 PM
I'm going for HeartGold. Gold was my first Pokemon game (indeed, the very first video game I owned!), and I thus liked it more than I did Silver when I got it four months later. And a Crystal remake isn't an option, so I'm picking my fave.

I have no concern about version exclusives. I already, in Pearl and Platinum, have or can easily get access to nearly every Pokemon that isn't a Jhoto starter or evolution of such(which I can get from HeartGold), Lugia (same), or an event legendary (and I even have some of those).

Edit: I also don't have Entei, Raikou, or Suicune, but again, I can get them from HeartGold.

Crossblade
2009-10-21, 08:41 PM
DPP has Spiritomb, which is basically Sableye with better stats... and Levitate, as if it didn't have enough immunities.

I just checked... Spiritomb doesn't legally get Levitate. Only Pressure.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Spiritomb
I even googled it.

Yes, but anything that's only catchable after I beat Lance the first time may as well be not acquirable
QFT.
I remember when Gold and Silver came out, wondering why they didn't put any Pikachu in Johto. It's Nintendo's most popular pokemon. Also, there's only 1 accessible Dark type before the elite four also. Umbreon!
Now, I've checked; they're putting in a Safari Zone into HG/SS, (west of the Fighting Gym) and it has G3 & G4 pokemon, but the question is, will it be accessible 'on time'?
If not, the ONLY way I can see getting around this would be trading. I'm not really sure how the game would stop you from trading a G3/4 pokemon from another copy of HG/SS before the Elite Four.

Edit: AH-HA! After searching, I have found the answer (most of the other stuff seems rather neutral or wishy-washy for an answer).
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/National_Pok%C3%A9dex
In Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, Professor Oak gives the player the National Pokédex before he/she boards the S.S. Aqua for the first time. However, as with Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, it is not required to obtain Pokémon not in the games' regional Pokédex (in this case, the Johto Pokédex).

Geno9999
2009-10-22, 06:00 PM
Meowth > Mankey - SS
Growlithe > Vulpix - HG
Spinarak > Ledyba - HG
Skarmory > Mantyke - SS
Mawile > Sableye - SS
Gligar > Delibird - HG
Baltoy > Gulpin - HG
Teddiursa > Phanpy - SS
Don't care > Legendaries

Half and half.

Hmm... I guess just to be Mando's opposite, I'm gonna get SoulSilver for the BEA (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitleeyyr8ln8spjv?from=Main.EverythingsWorseWithB ears)RS. (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ursaring_(Pok%C3%A9mon))

Thane of Fife
2009-10-22, 06:39 PM
As an aside to the current conversation, it's been a long time since I've played a Pokemon game (the last one I played was... Gold? Though I've fiddled a bit with Colosseum). If I were interested in picking up a newer game (by which I mean newer than Crystal), which would be a generally good choice?

In general, I have absolutely little interest in making an awesome team - I'd rather pick a bunch of weird pokemon for use. Suggestions?

Vorpal word
2009-10-22, 06:55 PM
In general, I have absolutely little interest in making an awesome team - I'd rather pick a bunch of weird pokemon for use. Suggestions?

How about this?

Typhlosion
Qwilfish
Xatu
Sunflora
Shuckle
Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan

Most of these are considered kinda weak, but enough training and good moves will get you by. And except for Typhlosion, I don't think I've seen any of these used in battle videos.

Flarowon
2009-10-22, 07:58 PM
I would like to make a meaningless statement: Is Pokemon ever going to stop being awesome?

tgva8889
2009-10-22, 08:14 PM
If I were to do an All Smeargle run, what rules should I pose to myself?

Nohwl
2009-10-22, 09:23 PM
don't abuse spore too much.

Flarowon
2009-10-23, 11:09 AM
I'd like to know: what was your first team for beating an elite four, in any game? Mine was, in Platnum, all around level 50:

Infernape
Gyarados
Magnezone
Togekiss
Hippowdon
Giratina(never actually got used, my other ones were all to awesome.)

Now then, what are yours?

Mando Knight
2009-10-23, 11:14 AM
It's been so long, I hardly recall it, but I believe my first E4 win involved some set that included Charizard, Articuno, Raichu, and Omastar. Probably Pidgeot as well.

Green Bean
2009-10-23, 12:57 PM
Venusaur. I was 10 at the time, and it was the only Pokemon I'd actually trained. I'm also pretty sure that it knew Tackle for the entire game, because Tackle is awesome. Of course, anything's awesome when you're 25-30 levels above your opponent.

chiasaur11
2009-10-23, 01:43 PM
Venusaur. I was 10 at the time, and it was the only Pokemon I'd actually trained. I'm also pretty sure that it knew Tackle for the entire game, because Tackle is awesome. Of course, anything's awesome when you're 25-30 levels above your opponent.

Feraligator, and pretty much the same story. Of course, he had a Lugia as backup, but really, it was just Jaws ripping his way through armies on his lonesome.

Green Bean
2009-10-23, 01:50 PM
Feraligator, and pretty much the same story. Of course, he had a Lugia as backup, but really, it was just Jaws ripping his way through armies on his lonesome.

I did that on my second playthrough too; just me, Blastoise, and Articuno. I really really loved Articuno. I had a chart and an extensive speech explaining exactly how Ice Pokemon are the best Pokemon ever, and how Articuno is their king.

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-10-23, 06:18 PM
All I remember was a Typhlosion (Quilly) as the lead, a Togetic as the second, some third one I forgot, a semi-trained Lanturn, and two others that were probably used for HMs.

That Lanturn saved my butt at Lance's battle.

By the way, a couple months ago I did a quick playthrough of Emerald for the sole purpose of getting Latios. I chose Torchic and only used it the whole game. And it knew Peck all the way through.

That Blaziken beat almost everything in one hit.

Lunix Vandal
2009-10-23, 11:07 PM
Finally got around to attempting the first Palmer fight (in Platinum) today. What I learned:

A +2 Ice Punch from my Lucario can OHKO his Dragonite. :smallsmile:
Conversely, the -2 Speed from Paralysis (from Dragonite's Thunder Wave while Lucario Swords Danced) lets his Rhyperior outrun and Earthquake/OHKO Lucario. :smallmad:
But a "regular" Waterfall from my (Life Orb-carrying) Gyarados just kills said Rhyperior outright. :smallamused:
On the fourth hand, however, Palmer's Milotic's Shell Bell lets it (barely) live through two +0 Earthquakes. :smallmad:
The two Ice Beams this lets Milotic use, coupled with Life Orb HP drain, are just enough to drop Gyarados. :smallfurious:
This leaves me with just my (underleveled, HP & Defenses-spec'd) Milotic. :smalleek:
Palmer's Milotic is both male, and in possession of Attract and Hypnosis. :smallconfused:
Mine ... is neither. :smalleek:
Attraction can block Rest. :smallfurious:
My Milotic has enough HP + SpecDef to eat five of his Milotic's Surfs while Sleep Talking (during Hypnosis-induced Sleep) and waiting/praying that Rest will get through (after said Hypnosis wore off). My Leftovers helped, though. :smallamused:
A level 41, infatuated Milotic without any super-effective attacks actually can beat a level 50 Milotic with perfect IVs. :smallbiggrin:

As to why I had an underleveled Milotic instead of ... anything else: my other options weren't much better, usually (arguably) worse. Namely:
-My (horribly unoptimized) Torterra, who probably couldn't outrun Palmer's Milotic or eat its Ice Beams,
-My (also horribly unoptimized) Luxray, which honestly isn't good for much besides sweeping Wake's team (and is also just as slow as Torterra),
-My (also also horribly unoptimized AND underleveled) Staraptor, with stats almost across-the-board lower than Torterra's,
-A handful of level 50-ish barely-caught Fire and Poison-type pokémon from my first trip through Stark Mountain, and
-An untrained Giratina, who isn't even legal in the Frontier. :smalltongue:

tgva8889
2009-10-24, 01:17 AM
Actually, I don't think Palmer's Pokemon have anywhere near Perfect IVs, but I don't know any hackers who have actually tried to figure it out. I'm pretty sure they're not perfect, though.

First Elite 4 team I don't remember. My most memorable one involved a level 84 Pikachu. With Surf. Fun times.

I'm planning on doing an all Smeargle run of Pokemon HeartGold at some point, with the following rules:
1. I am allowed to trade, but only the 6 Smeargle eggs that I need to make this a true "All Smeargle" run.
2. I am allowed to use other Pokemon, but only for the purpose of learning HM moves (through Double Battles) or when it is otherwise impossible for me to get past an obstacle. I am not allowed to level up other Pokemon to learn other moves, nor can I use them in any capacity other than to learn/use HMs.
3. Except for HMs, I cannot Sketch my own Pokemon's attacks. I must learn all the attacks I use throughout the game from enemies.
4. When I beat Red, none of my Smeargle can have the same moveset.

Lunix Vandal
2009-10-24, 03:16 AM
Huh. Suddenly I can't seem to remember where it was I heard/read that Palmer's pokémon had perfect IVs ... or that Cynthia and the rest of the Frontier Brains had the same bonus. Ah well. :smallconfused:

As for my first Elite 4 team, it is largely irrelevant. Because when you can sweep the Elite 4 (and Cynthia!) with just one pokémon (namely Lucario), anything other than your Lucario is irrelevant (though it did mean I got to have two or three level 20 pokémon in my first Hall of Fame entry). I have been unable to do that again, mostly because Flint's Houndoom gained enough levels that my Lucario can't take its Flamethrower after the Swords Dance I need to sweep his whole party (Close Combat doesn't do quite enough damage without it). Which is just fine, since my Gyarados does the job even better (despite being around 10-15 levels lower than anything Flint has).

Also, yay for catching Shaymin on the first attempt and finding out its IVs include a 31 in HP, 17+ Attack, 25 Defense, and 20+ Special Defense. Admittedly, the other two are single-digit, but what with it being Timid its Speed is on par with its defenses (and Attack is its lowest stat). :smalltongue:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-24, 05:38 AM
Huh. Suddenly I can't seem to remember where it was I heard/read that Palmer's pokémon had perfect IVs ... or that Cynthia and the rest of the Frontier Brains had the same bonus. Ah well. :smallconfused:

Bulbapedia says that Cynthia has perfect IVs.

Vorpal word
2009-10-24, 07:17 AM
1st "Team" (Blue): Level 80 Venusaur (cleared the league alone some 20 times).
2nd "Team" (Crystal): Same scenario with Feraligatr (I accidentally killed all the legendaries, too).
3rd Team/1st Real Team (Ruby): As usual, a problem; my game clock froze, so once-per-day items were once-per-game! Anyway, here's the team:

Swampert
Crobat
Groudon
Breloom
Hariyama
Mightyena

Still far from perfect, and Swampert was about 10 levels ahead of the others. Also, the only thing that saved me from Steven's Cradily was Fire Blast.

Green Bean
2009-10-24, 09:57 AM

My amazingly nerdy calculations have shown that Milotic has 30-31 IVs in everything but HP and SpA, and 29-30 IVs in HP and SpA. The regular trainers won't have perfect IVs until after the 49th battle.

tgva8889
2009-10-24, 11:12 AM

Maybe I'm misinformed, I wasn't aware that any of the NPCs had good IVs...in any event, IVs mean very little if you don't also have those incredible EVs.

Green Bean
2009-10-24, 12:28 PM
Maybe I'm misinformed, I wasn't aware that any of the NPCs had good IVs...in any event, IVs mean very little if you don't also have those incredible EVs.

Don't worry, Battle Frontier Pokemon are fully EV trained, and ready to crush you if you make the slightest mistake. Or even if you don't make a mistake, that happens too. Stupid Battle Frontier.

No, I'm totally not bitter about my last streak being crushed by a stupid Heatran, why do you ask?

tgva8889
2009-10-24, 12:39 PM
Don't worry, Battle Frontier Pokemon are fully EV trained...

I was pretty sure NPCs weren't EV trained. If they are, the amount of effort Nintendo puts into Battle Frontier is ridiculous.

Green Bean
2009-10-25, 07:42 AM
I was pretty sure NPCs weren't EV trained. If they are, the amount of effort Nintendo puts into Battle Frontier is ridiculous.

Nope, the NPCs at Battle Frontier have EV trained Pokemon. And the ones after the 49th battle in Battle Tower have max IVs. I'm not sure why it's a big effort. They already have to insert a giant list of Pokemon; I don't see how adding two 255s to their spreadsheet makes it that much harder for them .

tgva8889
2009-10-25, 03:33 PM
Nope, the NPCs at Battle Frontier have EV trained Pokemon. And the ones after the 49th battle in Battle Tower have max IVs. I'm not sure why it's a big effort. They already have to insert a giant list of Pokemon; I don't see how adding two 255s to their spreadsheet makes it that much harder for them .

Depends on how EV trained they are. They also have to have specific natures, and then be divided into tiers based on how far you are in the Frontier facility, and then given moves, and some of them need a strategy attached for proper usage since the computers tend to be able to do that with certain Pokemon. Considering the amount of glitches prevalent in Pokemon, it's a bit surprising that they would be able to do things like that.

Especially since half the Pokemon players probably don't even play Battle Frontier.

Green Bean
2009-10-25, 06:00 PM
Depends on how EV trained they are. They also have to have specific natures, and then be divided into tiers based on how far you are in the Frontier facility, and then given moves, and some of them need a strategy attached for proper usage since the computers tend to be able to do that with certain Pokemon. Considering the amount of glitches prevalent in Pokemon, it's a bit surprising that they would be able to do things like that.

Yes, they did put a lot of work into making the Frontier tough. But the EV training itself isn't all that surprising. Looking at the enemy stat list, all they did was pick the two most relevant stats for each Pokemon and give them 255 EVs. All I'm saying is that between making AI strategy, tiers, and a possibly biased RNG system, I don't see how adding EVs pushes it up to "ridiculous amounts of work". Besides, an EV trained Pokemon has 126 more stat points. Do you really think that the Frontier would be a challenge if they didn't have maxed EVs?

Crossblade
2009-10-26, 03:33 AM
Ok, I gotta ask.

I grasp the concept of defeating a pokemon to get EV points. And that certain pokemon give certain EVs upon defeat. Also, it's easily known that the more pokemon you get, the more exp you get, the higher level you get... and you max out at lv 100...

...meaning you can only get so many EVs before you reach max level.
BUT, what's to stop a person from just fighting all low level pokemon to fill all their stat EVs? Ya, it takes time, but killing a million level 5 zubat to get max EVs isn't that hard when you're level 40. And it wouldn't get you to lv 100 before you'd read the max EVs [255, I think?].

So... ya. What's stoping a person from doing that with EVs for all their stats on low level pokemon?

Green Bean
2009-10-26, 04:47 AM
Actually, that's pretty much what you're supposed to do. If you've got the right items, and fight the right trainers, it doesn't take that long, either. Generally, my Pokemon are EV trained by around level 20. Of course, the main EV guy in Platinum has all Magikarps, so that helps keep experience low.

Dihan
2009-10-26, 05:01 AM
The Power items can be used in HG/SS in breeding to automatically pass a specific IV from any parent to the new egg.

Green Bean
2009-10-26, 05:21 AM
The Power items can be used in HG/SS in breeding to automatically pass a specific IV from any parent to the new egg.

That's awesome, and makes breeding much easier. Any word on if this counts toward an egg's 3 inherited IVs?

Dihan
2009-10-26, 05:48 AM
I'm not sure but I don't think so. If you don't care about the nature you can equip a different power item onto both parents and both IVs will be passed down.

Green Bean
2009-10-26, 07:41 AM
I'm not sure but I don't think so. If you don't care about the nature you can equip a different power item onto both parents and both IVs will be passed down.

If it doesn't count, then this makes it possible to breed 4 31 IVs onto an Egg in a semi-reasonable length of time (5 if you don't care about the nature). I'm definitely going to hold off on IV breeding any more until I pick up SoulSilver.

tonberrian
2009-10-26, 07:58 AM
--Is hating Leaf Green's Safari Zone with every fiber of being.--

EDIT: Take that, Chansey! Only Tauros now remains...

EDIT EDIT: Tauros get! Now I can finally leave this forsaken place.

Lunix Vandal
2009-10-26, 04:04 PM
BUT, what's to stop a person from just fighting all low level pokemon to fill all their stat EVs? Ya, it takes time, but killing a million level 5 zubat to get max EVs isn't that hard when you're level 40. And it wouldn't get you to lv 100 before you'd read the max EVs [255, I think?].

So... ya. What's stoping a person from doing that with EVs for all their stats on low level pokemon?With the exception of RBY and GSC (since they use a different EV system), while each individual EV is capped at 255, your total IVs are limited to 510. (i.e. 252 in two, 6 in another, to maximize the bonuses, plus or minus multiples of four as dictated by your setup.)

Is anything you catch or breed going to take more than 510 pokémon worth of XP to hit 100? Almost certainly, given that the Lv 100 Magikarp is nigh-on worthless and even Arceus (otherwise the highest-leveled wild pokémon) needs 610,000 XP to reach Lv 100 from its starting point of Lv 80. (And non-cheating Rare Candies are fairly rare.) Admittedly, pokémon with the "fast" XP growth pattern only need 800,000 total, but still. Unless you're training by soloing Lv 100 Happiny, it's likely not going to be an issue.

This is also exacerbated by Pokérus and the Macho Brace both doubling EV gains, the Power items adding +4 to a given EV per KO, and evolved pokémon giving two or three EVs each. Also, you can knock out up to 100 EVs in any given stat with the various nutritional drinks, reducing the time to EV train a pokémon from 170-510 KOs down to 35, possibly even lower.

(In Gen I & II, yeah, you could max out your EVs in every stat by just fighting a couple hundred of everything. The trick is, the games don't actually save what your current stats are, only what the pokémon's current IVs and EVs are. Even at Lv 100, you can continue to train or tweak your EVs -- depositing a pokémon in Bill or Bebe's PC and retrieving it again forces the game to recalculate its stats based on its current EVs.)

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-10-26, 06:54 PM
--Is hating Leaf Green's Safari Zone with every fiber of being.--

EDIT: Take that, Chansey! Only Tauros now remains...

EDIT EDIT: Tauros get! Now I can finally leave this forsaken place.

I remember that. I got Chansey on the first visit.:smallsmile:

Tauros, however...:smallfurious: Let's just say I needed a trip to the GTS once I got Pearl.

tonberrian
2009-10-26, 07:28 PM
I remember that. I got Chansey on the first visit.:smallsmile:

Tauros, however...:smallfurious: Let's just say I needed a trip to the GTS once I got Pearl.

It wouldn't have been nearly as bad if I hadn't relatively recently done the exact same thing in Blue. No cheating at all. At least Chansey didn't dodge half my Safari Balls this time around.

Crossblade
2009-10-26, 10:09 PM
each individual EV is capped at 255, your total IVs are limited to 510. (i.e. 252 in two, 6 in another, to maximize the bonuses, plus or minus multiples of four as dictated by your setup.)

Ah! That makes it much clearer. The rest is just icing on the cake for info. Thank you, that cleared up a lot for me.

tgva8889
2009-10-27, 12:06 AM

Awesome IVs for everyone!

On the plus side, this means that I can make as many 31 ATK IV Scythers as I want. Plus, my 31 IV Dittos can now be absurdly abused.

Crossblade
2009-10-27, 12:37 AM
Ouuu! Ouuu!

Can someone explain IV's to me now? I know they relate to stats, and they can be passed on in breeding; and higher is better (up to 31)... but how do you know what your Poke's IV's are in the first place?

SparkMandriller
2009-10-27, 01:32 AM
You just have to check what your stats are compared to what the baseline is. A level 100 Charizard without EVs and an attack IV of 0 has 190 attack, so if your 'zard has 200 attack, obviously he's got an attack IV of 10. It gets a little harder at low levels, because different IVs can give the same results (Otherwise you'd get things like a level 1 pichu with a good IV having 35 attack, and one with a bad IV having 5.), but if you check the stats over multiple levels, you can typically get a good idea.

The only problem is if you don't know what EVs your pokemon have, because those can and will slant the results. A pokemon with an attack IV of 0 and 124 attack IVs will look identical to a pokemon with an attack IV of 31 and no EVs, for example.

tgva8889
2009-10-27, 01:34 AM
Most of us use calculators of various kinds. There are a few out there. I'm pretty sure if you do a google search for "Pokemon IV Calculator" you'll find a good one.

Mando Knight
2009-10-27, 11:22 AM
For random Pokemon trivia and mechanics questions, I find Bulbapedia (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page) is the best source. I use veekun's IV calculator (http://veekun.com/dex/calculators/iv). For min/maxing specific Pokemon builds, I usually go by Smogon (http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/). (which might be in the middle of changing Pokemon around in their tiers, since HG/SS allows for different egg moves...)

tgva8889
2009-10-28, 03:41 AM
I use Serebii (http://serebii.net/index2.shtml) for everything, from IVs to mechanics questions. Mostly I just use it as a really big Pokedex.

Bulbapedia is more useful for media stuff, like "does Dawn really own a Buneary with Ice Beam," though I do use Bulbapedia more now. It's also more useful for specific item locations than Serebii is.

Smogon's the best site out there for competitive battling, I think. It probably has the most tested move sets and EV setups for every Pokemon, and the community seems stellar. If you're serious about getting into competitive battling, that would be the place to go.

Dihan
2009-10-28, 05:25 AM
I use Serebii for any Pokemon news, Bulbapedia for any trivia or as a Pokedex and Smogon for moveset ideas.

Vorpal word
2009-10-28, 02:42 PM
All those are useful; another good one is Psypokes, I think it has less than Serebii but it's more organized.

Then, of course, there are all the smaller ones like Arkeis, Gengar and Haunter's Pokemon Dungeon, Legendary Pokemon, etc. Serebii, Smogon and Psypokes are just compilations of those I think.

tonberrian
2009-10-28, 09:37 PM
Dunno if anyone's posted this (I'm on my PSP, browsing's kinda limited), but did anyone else go back and talk to the scientist in the Rocket Warehouse after giving Celio the Sapphire?
Apparently, Silver as Giovanni's kid has been canon since 2004.

Dihan
2009-10-29, 03:21 AM
Dunno if anyone's posted this (I'm on my PSP, browsing's kinda limited), but did anyone else go back and talk to the scientist in the Rocket Warehouse after giving Celio the Sapphire?

I already knew this.

In other news:

Yay! Mew Wi-Fi event confirmed for HG/SS and then DPPt later on and Lati@as event confirmed for HG/SS! :D

Green Bean
2009-10-29, 06:30 AM

Isn't that something that they already revealed in the manga?

SparkMandriller
2009-10-29, 06:49 AM
Yeah, but the manga has like half the elite four working for team rocket, and the other half trying to blow up the world or something. And a whole bunch of characters end up dead or something, too.

The manga is completely crazy is my point.

Green Bean
2009-10-29, 09:24 AM
Yeah, but the manga has like half the elite four working for team rocket, and the other half trying to blow up the world or something. And a whole bunch of characters end up dead or something, too.

The manga is completely crazy is my point.

No no no; the entire Elite Four is trying to blow up the world. They build a badge-powered superweapon and everything! It's half the Gym Leaders who work for Team Rocket, including Lt. Surge who has a Magneton-powered Voltorb launcher

The manga is completely crazy-awesome is my point.

SparkMandriller
2009-10-29, 09:58 AM
My mistake. I haven't looked at it that much, since I'm worried if I do Latias will turn me into a furry.

Green Bean
2009-10-29, 11:23 AM
I don't know why it would do that. It looks just like the video game sprite, and like the movie, it occasionally disguises itself as a person. And the person looks like a person; there's no weird anthropomorphic stuff.

Mando Knight
2009-10-29, 03:26 PM
Yay! Mew Wi-Fi event confirmed for HG/SS and then DPPt later on and Lati@s event confirmed for HG/SS! :D

Schweet. Now HG/SS is even more a must-have than before.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-29, 04:22 PM
Isn't that something that they already revealed in the manga?

Manga, games, and anime are all different continuities.

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-10-29, 07:49 PM

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/spoiler_alert.png

tgva8889
2009-10-30, 05:27 PM
Yay! Mew Wi-Fi event confirmed for HG/SS and then DPPt later on and Lati@as event confirmed for HG/SS! :D

YES! THANK YOU, NINTENDO! THAAAAANK YOOOOOOOOU!

I can now live my life happily. Mew for the win!

darkblust
2009-11-02, 06:03 PM
At the moment, I have an E.V. trained weavile,gengar,mesprit,shiny ninetales,heracross, and soon a shiny staraptor.I havent decided on my team yet,though.

Jamin
2009-11-03, 02:36 AM
What do you guys think of the Mystery Dungeon games? Are they any good?

Vorpal word
2009-11-03, 07:25 AM

They're...different. I like TBS games so they worked pretty well for me. However, from what I remember from the original two (Red and Blue Rescue Team), to finish the main game took only around 15 dungeons. There was about the same number that you unlocked afterward, mostly for legendary hunts.

Overall, I guess they're OK. If you want to try one, I'd recommend getting the GBA one cheap if possible; the only difference between it and the others is that you need to open more menus to view stuff.

tgva8889
2009-11-03, 01:09 PM

I like them, but that's because I like the style of the games. They're not really at all Pokemon games, they're really a different kind of game that happens to use Pokemon in it. Doesn't make them any less fun, though.

Mercenary Pen
2009-11-03, 01:49 PM
I don't know precisely why, but this has just reminded me of the time I traded an Abra through the time machine from Crystal back to friend's copy of Red/Blue version- with all three elemental punches and psychic already learned.

darkblust
2009-11-03, 02:49 PM
I thought you could only move pokemon from red/blue to silver/gold/crystal,not the other way around.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-03, 03:22 PM
I thought you could only move pokemon from red/blue to silver/gold/crystal,not the other way around.

Nope, Gen I/Gen II trading was both ways.

Gen III/Gen IV is one way, though.

Vorpal word
2009-11-03, 04:09 PM

No, you could trade both ways. However, the pokemon traded to GenI could not hold any items or know any moves that did not exist in Red/Blue/Yellow, to avoid glitching.

The reason this didn't exist both ways between Gen III and Gen IV is that a)The games use two different platforms, and b)There were too many changes (the contest system, the way moves were re-vamped, etc)

Crossblade
2009-11-04, 12:00 AM
After owning Red for 11 years and Yellow for 10, I finally decided and succeeded in using some old glitches to find and catch Mew the other day.
(The one where you leave the bike path, have an NPC see you, but fly to Cerulean and fight a youngster with a slowpoke, then fly back to Lavender)
Creepy thing happened during the process, instead of the game pausing before Mew showed up, I had gone to the PC to get a pokemon, then went west. Before Mew appeared, a message showed up saying, "Why? Why?"

Freaked me out to say the least! It was the 4th time trying to catch Mew, I kept fainting it and soft resetting, and every time before then, the game just normally paused.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-04, 06:10 PM
After owning Red for 11 years and Yellow for 10, I finally decided and succeeded in using some old glitches to find and catch Mew the other day.
(The one where you leave the bike path, have an NPC see you, but fly to Cerulean and fight a youngster with a slowpoke, then fly back to Lavender)
Creepy thing happened during the process, instead of the game pausing before Mew showed up, I had gone to the PC to get a pokemon, then went west. Before Mew appeared, a message showed up saying, "Why? Why?"

Freaked me out to say the least! It was the 4th time trying to catch Mew, I kept fainting it and soft resetting, and every time before then, the game just normally paused.

This sounds like it would make a good story.

I think you get text from certain trainers based on certain things... it's been awhile since I've read exactly what causes it, but TRsRockin.com has tons of info on glitches.

Flarowon
2009-11-04, 06:24 PM
This is just my opinion, but...
EV training is way, way, way, way, (way) too hard/boring/time consuming. *attempts to dodge rotten pickles thrown by Pokemon die-hards*
Also, does anyone know some way to get shinies more easily? Or is there no way?:smallconfused:

Zeful
2009-11-04, 06:37 PM
EV training is way, way, way, way, (way) too hard/boring/time consuming. *attempts to dodge rotten pickles thrown by Pokemon die-hards*
Also, does anyone know some way to get shinies more easily? Or is there no way?:smallconfused:

With the proper application of the EXP. Share, Muscle Belt and vitamins you should only really have to fight a couple dozen opponents to Max out EVs.

That's per pokemon though so easily jumps in number quickly.

Mando Knight
2009-11-04, 06:45 PM

Breeding one of your Pokemon with one from a foreign region (i.e. an American Pikachu with a Japanese Clefairy) multiplies your chances by... 4, I believe. It's still around 1/2000 or so in that case.

There's also an event Pichu that's always shiny, and the Red Gyarados in Lake Rage made a return in HG/SS.

SparkMandriller
2009-11-04, 07:46 PM
EV training is way, way, way, way, (way) too hard/boring/time consuming.

It's only about an hour of effort. An hour isn't that bad. Breeding for good IVs, though... D:

And you can use the poke radar for shinies, if you want. Though that only works on pokemon that naturally appear in grass, and you can't get egg moves, and you can't influence their IVs at all, so yeah. Don't expect anything too great.

Mando Knight
2009-11-04, 09:07 PM
And you can use the poke radar for shinies, if you want. Though that only works on pokemon that naturally appear in grass, and you can't get egg moves, and you can't influence their IVs at all, so yeah. Don't expect anything too great.

Oh, yeah. And that method improves it to around 1/200 on the fortieth member of the chain. Better than any method other than "You wanted a red Gyarados, right? Get the one in Lake Rage."

tgva8889
2009-11-04, 09:51 PM

I don't know how much easier it is, but you can RNG abuse the game. Details here (http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/dpp_rng_part1).

Crossblade
2009-11-06, 05:00 PM
Messing with the game cheapens the specialness of shinies. (and it's cheating)

tgva8889
2009-11-06, 11:35 PM
Messing with the game cheapens the specialness of shinies. (and it's cheating)

Technically, that's not nearly as messing with the game as what everyone considers cheating. You're simply taking advantage of the fact that, like all games, Pokemon is played on a computer, which cannot generate completely random numbers and therefore uses some form of random number generation algorithm.

If you don't want to do that, you have something like a 1/2000 chance per egg with the other method. :smallbiggrin:

(Don't worry, I wouldn't RNG abuse either. I don't quite understand it beyond the fact that it involves figuring out what random number it just generated, then making it generate more random numbers until the next one will be one that is a shiny pokemon.)

Zaccino
2009-11-07, 07:23 PM
can anyone please help me, I am trying to catch Articuno, and Moltres, and I need 2 master balls, can anyone please help?

tgva8889
2009-11-07, 07:34 PM
can anyone please help me, I am trying to catch Articuno, and Moltres, and I need 2 master balls, can anyone please help?

What game? I may or may not be able to help you depending. I would possibly be able to trade you 2 Master Balls, but I would like to receive something semi-useful in return.

Zaccino
2009-11-07, 07:47 PM
I will give you a Cresselia!

tgva8889
2009-11-07, 08:00 PM
Well, I have no need for a random Cresslia (or a Cresslia at all for that matter), but if you have anything either good or rare that'd be nice.

Also, what game?

Edit: You know what, here's a better idea:
1) Pick a Pokemon that can learn False Swipe. Train it to a high level.
2) Chase down the legendaries and False Swipe them to 1 HP.
3) Pick a Pokemon that can learn Sleep Powder or Spore. Train it to a high level.
4) Chase down the legendaries and put them to sleep.
5) Throw Quick Balls at them until they get in.

That's how some of us caught the running legendaries.

Mando Knight
2009-11-07, 08:16 PM
Edit: You know what, here's a better idea:
1) Pick a Pokemon that can learn False Swipe. Train it to a high level.
2) Chase down the legendaries and False Swipe them to 1 HP.
3) Pick a Pokemon that can learn Sleep Powder or Spore. Train it to a high level.
4) Chase down the legendaries and put them to sleep.
5) Throw Quick Balls at them until they get in.

That's how some of us caught the running legendaries.

That's the way it is.
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/1/17/202Wobbuffet.png

...The spoiler contains the answer to my clue for my method, if you didn't get it...

What's worse than Articuno or Moltres? Beldum. "But they swarm, and so there's a jillion of 'em!" you say? They've got a rock-bottom catch rate, only appear in a sandstorm area, and their only known move hurts themselves. You've got roughly the same chances of finding a shiny Beldum as you do of catching any Beldum without the Master Ball.

Vorpal word
2009-11-07, 10:17 PM
Question:

What's the catch chance for Groudon/Kyogre in Ruby/Sapphire? Compared to both previous and later legendaries, they're incredibly hard to catch, I've never managed to do it without a master ball.

On the same topic, Question #2:

How exactly is catch chance determined? I understand that each pokeball has its own catch rate, which is affected by things like time, enemy health, and your level vs enemy level, but I've noticed, for example, that throwing the same type of ball repeatedly never works, and other such quirks. Was it just dumb luck, or do factors like these actually exist?

Mando Knight
2009-11-07, 10:26 PM
Question:

What's the catch chance for Groudon/Kyogre in Ruby/Sapphire? Compared to both previous and later legendaries, they're incredibly hard to catch, I've never managed to do it without a master ball.

How exactly is catch chance determined? I understand that each pokeball has its own catch rate, which is affected by things like time, enemy health, and your level vs enemy level, but I've noticed, for example, that throwing the same type of ball repeatedly never works, and other such quirks. Was it just dumb luck, or do factors like these actually exist?

Catch Rate for both Kyogre and Groudon is 5. Actual catch chance is an algorithm that is based on the Pokemon, its status, its health percentage, and the ball you throw, and is discussed in-depth here (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Catch_rate).

Basically, the catch rates run from 3 (Mewtwo, Beldum, and a few others) to 255 (Magikarp, Pichu, other pathetic things). At 100% HP and no status effect, a catch rate 5 'mon has a roughly 1/51 chance of being caught in a standard Pokeball, and a 1/17 chance in an Ultra Ball.

Basically, to maximize your catch chance without using a Master Ball, use False Swipe, put the opponent to sleep, and then use an x4 Pokeball (Dusk Ball at night in Gen 4, Timer Ball after around 40 turns, Quick Ball in the first 5 turns). However, for a catch rate 3 Pokemon, that's still only around a 1/5 chance of catching the darned thing.

tgva8889
2009-11-07, 10:29 PM
The upside of training something with False Swipe and something with a sleep move is that they're useful for a lot more things. Like catching anything. Though I suppose that's more true if you have the same Pokemon with both moves, though that's a bit harder to do.

I may or may not craft a catching Smeargle at some point.

chiasaur11
2009-11-07, 10:30 PM
Question:

Question 1) No. I got Groudon with an ultra.

2) I dunno. Would explain getting a Rayquaza with a pokeball.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-07, 10:31 PM
At 100% HP and no status effect, a catch rate 5 'mon has a roughly 1/51 chance of being caught in a standard Pokeball, and a 1/17 chance in an Ultra Ball.

I must have horrible luck then, because it took me several hundred Pokeballs to catch Giratina at almost no health, and asleep, with Dusk and Ultra Balls.

Mando Knight
2009-11-07, 10:39 PM
I must have horrible luck then, because it took me several hundred Pokeballs to catch Giratina at almost no health, and asleep, with Dusk and Ultra Balls.

Yeah... that shouldn't happen.

tgva8889
2009-11-07, 10:41 PM

...actually, I don't think the ratings above are completely correct. I believe it is possible to have a 0% chance to catch a legendary with a basic Pokeball.

Here's the equation I found:

(( 1 + ( MaxHP * 3 - CurrentHP * 2 ) * CatchRate * BallRate * Status# ) / ( MaxHP * 3 )) / 256

Assuming 100% HP and no status, with a Pokeball, let's assume that the catch rate 5 Pokemon has 300HP, just to make this equation easier to work with.

(( 1 + ( 300 * 3 - 300 * 2 ) * 5 * 1 * 1 ) / ( 300 * 3 )) / 256 = 0.00651475694.

So at maximum HP, a catch rate 5 pokemon with 300 HP and no damage or status should be impossible to catch with a standard Pokeball.

(Also, I caught either Groudon or Kyogre in a Premier Ball, so clearly they're not that hard to get.)

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-11-08, 12:05 PM
I will give you a Cresselia!

Like I just said in the other thread, Cresselia is gotten in the exact same manner as the birds, so just do whatever you did for Cresselia to catch the birds.

CoffeeIncluded
2009-11-08, 09:09 PM
I got lucky and caught Giratina in the third Dusk Ball, and Azelf in the first.

But then Uxie and Heatran decided to be jerks about it...

Zaccino
2009-11-10, 06:12 PM
Like I just said in the other thread, Cresselia is gotten in the exact same manner as the birds, so just do whatever you did for Cresselia to catch the birds.

I got Cresselia in a trade...

Dihan
2009-11-11, 06:56 AM
My experiences of Heart Gold so far (no plot spoilers but there are some new gameplay mechanics mentioned)

Heart Gold is pretty good. My only complaint is the complete lack of cool Pokemon until you get to Kanto.

Then again...

Every single route pretty much has Pidgey and Rattata... With an above 50% chance of appearing. Every tree has a Hoothoot (only specific places have things like Heracross, Aipom and Pineco). The Safari Zone is so dull when you first get to it. All the Pokemon in there except for Murkrow, Misdreavus, Larvitar, Lickitung and Kangaskhan can be found elsewhere. You don't get the ability to add those items to the Safari Zone until after you get the National Dex.

Early on in the game, the most fun Pokemon you'll have will be your starter (if you didn't choose Chikorita) and Mareep. Then you'll have to wait until the National Park if you want something else that's cool - Growlithe/Vulpix, or on a specific day of the week - Scyther. Then nothing until Bill gives you the optional Eevee. Well, there is Yanma which has a 1% chance of appearing in a specific route.

Evolutionary stones are a huge pain to get: either wait for specific people to phone you or go get 2500-3000 points from Pokethlon contests which are rigged against you. Even then you can't get Shiny, Dawn or Dusk stones until after you get the National Dex which pretty much renders a lot of the gen 2 Pokemon completely useless. I eventually managed to get a Fire Stone for my Growlithe, but my Murkrow (who has high IVs in 5/6 stats) is stuck being lame until when I will no longer need her.

You quickly outlevel the wild Pokemon and the trainer Pokemon. I have all the Pokemon I use at around lvl 26-32 (except my Espeon which I'm training up) and I'm in the routes around the Safari Park where the Pokemon are in the early 20s. The Pokemon in the Safari Park are around level 15 too. I think the Elite 4 in Johto are around lvl 40-50.

Ok, so maybe I lied about only having one complaint. :smalltongue:

SparkMandriller
2009-11-11, 07:06 AM
Are you knocking chikorita?

Because you had better not be knocking chikorita.

Because that is not on.

Also you can get gyarados early on, right? Gyarados is totally awesome.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-11, 07:07 AM
Evolutionary stones are a huge pain to get: either wait for specific people to phone you or go get 2500-3000 points from Pokethlon contests which are rigged against you. Even then you can't get Shiny, Dawn or Dusk stones until after you get the National Dex which pretty much renders a lot of the gen 2 Pokemon completely useless. I eventually managed to get a Fire Stone for my Growlithe, but my Murkrow (who has high IVs in 5/6 stats) is stuck being lame until when I will no longer need her.

You quickly outlevel the wild Pokemon and the trainer Pokemon. I have all the Pokemon I use at around lvl 26-32 (except my Espeon which I'm training up) and I'm in the routes around the Safari Park where the Pokemon are in the early 20s. The Pokemon in the Safari Park are around level 15 too. I think the Elite 4 in Johto are around lvl 40-50.

The first complaint: Still easier that in G/S, where you needed to get to Bill. :smalltongue:

The second: That was also a problem with G/S. I thought they'd have fixed it, but oh well.

Dihan
2009-11-11, 07:55 AM
Are you knocking chikorita?

Because you had better not be knocking chikorita.

Because that is not on.

It may be cute but it's by far the worst starter to use. :smalltongue:

Also you can get gyarados early on, right? Gyarados is totally awesome.

Well, yeah. I haven't found the Old Rod yet (I have the Good Rod) but it's hardly something special. :smalltongue:

tgva8889
2009-11-11, 03:09 PM
If only Chikorita actually learned a Sleep move...god, why does it learn Poisonpowder but not Sleep Powder? It makes no sense!

Mystic Muse
2009-11-11, 03:31 PM
two quesitons.
A. does the cinnabar island glitch still work in pokemon fire red?
B. in what versions of pokemon is it possible to get Celebi and Lugia? (other than silver and gold for Lugia of course)

Mando Knight
2009-11-11, 03:35 PM
Celebi's an event Pokemon, unfortunately. Unless you get an event or a trade, you're not getting one.

Lugia can be caught in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, or with an event in Emerald or FireRed/LeafGreen.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-11, 04:01 PM
A. does the cinnabar island glitch still work in pokemon fire red?

Do you mean the one where the guy would randomly show up on the Gym's roof? No, they fixed that.

You mean Missingno.? No, they fixed that as well (:smallfrown:).

Mystic Muse
2009-11-11, 06:12 PM
I wasn't even aware of the guy who would randomly show up on the gym's roof. I liked the missingno glitch though.

No Celebi? but but but..........:smallfrown:

what's this event you get Celebi/Lugia from? I'm kind of on the fence about buying fire red. I'd buy the new one but I don't have a DS. heck I don't even have an SP.

'nother question. What's everybody's preferred pokemon teams? does anybody here besides me try to get certain specific pokemon when they play?

yay I got an Eevee!

Mando Knight
2009-11-11, 06:44 PM
A legitimate Celebi for Gen 3 requires a bonus disk packaged with the Japanese version of Pokemon XD. A Gen 3 Lugia only comes with the Mysticticket event, which isn't going on right now (and probably won't happen again), unless you get Pokemon XD, in which its corrupted form is the version mascot.

FR is currently disliked by the "Get 'em all in as few games as possible" guys, since its version exclusives can be bypassed by playing the other Gen 3s or the Gen 4s. However, it has Charizard on the cover, and its name is FireRed. The other games haven't topped it yet in that regard.

A DS is a fantastic game system, by the way...

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-11, 06:55 PM
'nother question. What's everybody's preferred pokemon teams? does anybody here besides me try to get certain specific pokemon when they play?

Missingno.

It never works though. :smallfrown:

Fun fact: my only regret with my Pokemon Yellow Let's Play is that the Missingno. in Yellow is harder to get and much more malicious, so I couldn't feature him in my Let's Play.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-11, 07:08 PM
A DS is a fantastic game system, by the way...

mind PMing me about what you like so much? I probably won't be able to afford one any time soon (there's other stuff I want for Christmas after all) but it'd be nice to know the advantages.

although, is it true you can't play normal gameboy games on it? and is there any chance anybody actually WOULD trade a Celebi?

is the AI better in later games? I mean really, using fire punch on a Charizard? *facepalm*

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-11, 07:28 PM
mind PMing me about what you like so much? I probably won't be able to afford one any time soon (there's other stuff I want for Christmas after all) but it'd be nice to know the advantages.

It's pretty much the best system for old-style RPGs (arguably, though), and has a lot of releases of old ones (Chrono Trigger, POKEMON G/S) for fans of that.

It's got all of Nintendo's good stuff, for the most part. Except Punch-Out!!.

Pokemon is always a plus.

It's got some pretty original titles, like Scribblenauts.

Just for a start.

Vorpal word
2009-11-11, 08:06 PM
Specific Pokemon? Mostly no, but in each region there are necessities:

Kanto: Zapdos, Articuno, Dugtrio, Golem.
Johto: Sudowoodo, Steelix, Red Gyarados.
Hoenn: Swampert, Groudon, Breloom, Salamence.
Sinnoh: Staraptor, Empoleon, Honchkrow, Pachirisu.

As for the DS, it is, like the Wii, a very Nintendo-esque innovation. Only problem is, again like the Wii, it's overusing this new aspect (the stylus), to the point where games like the DS Zelda are unrecognizable to me. Fortunately, Nintendo's flagship games, like Mario and Pokemon, apparently cannot suffer from this problem; all the ones I know of for the DS are good to excellent.

Mando Knight
2009-11-11, 09:36 PM
It's got all of Nintendo's good stuff, for the most part. Except Punch-Out!!.

Which means that together with the Wii, which does have Punch-Out!!, you have a singularity of awesome. :smalltongue:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-11, 09:37 PM
Which means that together with the Wii, which does have Punch-Out!!, you have a singularity of awesome. :smalltongue:

I have a singularity of awesome, then. :smallbiggrin:

tgva8889
2009-11-11, 11:17 PM
I really wish Smeargle was better than it is, but it's not. I really, really, really like Smeargle, though.

I'm a huge fan of handhelds, and because the DS is probably the best one (I dislike the PSP), I would greatly endorse it. There are quite a few good titles on it, many of which I haven't even played. I tend to favor the ones in which DS controls are unnecessary and optional, so I've played pretty much all of the Pokemon-related games (except Trozei), Metriod Prime: Hunters and the two Final Fantasy games. I've also played Kirby Squeak Squad, which was mindless fun. Beyond that I don't know a whole lot about the system, but I can tell you that I enjoy it. Scribblenauts looks like amazing fun time, and I'm looking forward to a lot of the games I haven't played. The Professor Layton games look really cool, for example.

Mando Knight
2009-11-12, 12:35 AM
Smeargle's good because it can learn almost any move. That's its schtick, and beyond starting breeding chains or quirky builds, that's it.

Dhavaer
2009-11-14, 10:56 PM
If I trade a Poochyena into Diamond before I get the National Dex, will it be able to evolve normally?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-14, 10:58 PM
Yes.

You just won't see it's PokeDex number (and the masses weeped at this great loss. :smalltongue:)

tgva8889
2009-11-14, 11:34 PM
Smeargle's good because it can learn almost any move. That's its schtick, and beyond starting breeding chains or quirky builds, that's it.

The thing is, while it can learn any move, it can't use a whole lot of them well due to its inability to survive most hits or deal much damage. So basically, "Smeargle's schtick" involves using Spore, then using a combination of support moves until it dies.

Mando Knight
2009-11-14, 11:40 PM
So basically, "Smeargle's schtick" involves using Spore, then using a combination of support moves until it dies.

That's what it boils down to, usually. However, if you can find the people to use the moves that you want on your Smeargle, you can get an kind of zany, ineffectual moveset you want.

tgva8889
2009-11-15, 12:42 AM
That's what it boils down to, usually. However, if you can find the people to use the moves that you want on your Smeargle, you can get an kind of zany, ineffectual moveset you want.

Actually, the best way to get moves onto Smeargle is to rebattle the Twins in the game over and over. Then you can put whatever moves you want on it by Sketching your own Pokemon.

chiasaur11
2009-11-15, 12:47 AM
Heh. Got my level 100 Arceus today.

Stats are a bit meh, but I got bored of resetting, so I take what I got. And, well, I have an Arceus. I am content.

Dispozition
2009-11-16, 03:10 AM
So...Has anyone ever beaten the Elite 4 from Pearl with a team completely under lvl 50? I almost did it yesterday...I went in not expecting to clear more than two rooms but ended up getting to the champion. My team was set up completely wrong as well, missing both my Haunter (which would have come in obnoxiously handy, even if he is lvl 33), and anything resembling anti-ground beside my golduck...That being said...I'm trying it again soon after leveling everything to 45 to where it is, meaning my highest lvl pokemon will be a lvl 50 Luxray...Even Palkia is only lvl 49 XD

Anyway...On a completely unrelated note...Gold is my favourite pokemon game, a must have in my team is a Haunter and normally a Graveller...If I can get them to Gengar and Golem, all the better, but I normally can't.

tgva8889
2009-11-16, 03:53 AM
Anyway...On a completely unrelated note...Gold is my favourite pokemon game, a must have in my team is a Haunter and normally a Graveller...If I can get them to Gengar and Golem, all the better, but I normally can't.

Well, you will probably have the advantage of a GTS and a forum of friends willing to trade with you, so you should have no problems.

Dispozition
2009-11-16, 04:28 AM
Well, you will probably have the advantage of a GTS and a forum of friends willing to trade with you, so you should have no problems.

Only problem is that I can't get on the net with my DS thanks to the way my net is set up, and I'm not willing to change it since my parents will go bonkers :P

I do have a friend that has Diamond though, so it is possible, we just don't really meet up and play pokemon often...Since we're older, and go to parties and stuff...Yeah, that's my excuse...

Crossblade
2009-11-19, 11:12 AM
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/halolz-dot-com-pokemon-calculusfail.gif

Green Bean
2009-11-19, 11:14 AM
I don't know whether or not I should be hoping that's real, but it's still awesome. :smallcool:

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-11-19, 08:05 PM
Not the best drawing, but pretty decent. And many times better than anything I could put out. (I still struggle with drawing Shuckle, and my attempts at Pikachu are completely wrong proportion-wise.)

Forrestfire
2009-11-20, 11:02 PM
Can anybody tell me if the Mew exist in pokemons Fire Red and Leaf Green?

I've played ruby/sapphire, and I'm considering picking up one of the kanto region games for the gameboy.

Just wondering. I managed to catch all three mews in Red version, and they're fun pokemon to have on the team.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-20, 11:10 PM
Can anybody tell me if the Mew exist in pokemons Fire Red and Leaf Green?

I've played ruby/sapphire, and I'm considering picking up one of the kanto region games for the gameboy.

Just wondering. I managed to catch all three mews in Red version, and they're fun pokemon to have on the team.

Event only, I think, but Mew does exist.

Green Bean
2009-11-21, 12:20 AM
Mew's always been event only, and I think they've stopped Gen III events. The next Mew event is from the end of January to the end of February for Japanese versions of HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Mando Knight
2009-11-21, 12:36 AM
Mew's always been event only

'Cept in Gen 1, when you could glitch your way into fighting it...

Green Bean
2009-11-21, 01:01 AM
'Cept in Gen 1, when you could glitch your way into fighting it...

Ah, those were the days, back when men were men, women were women, and glitches were game breaking. :smallcool:

Forrestfire
2009-11-21, 01:28 PM
I also miss the glitch that allowed you to ride your bike on trees. That was fun. :smallcool:

chiasaur11
2009-11-21, 01:57 PM
Let's be fair. Gen 2 had some pretty nice glitches too.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-21, 02:16 PM
Yeah; that was the only cloning glitch I ever managed to pull of correctly.

But as far as Glitches, Gen I wins, hands down.

Mew Glitch? Missingno. (and by extension, the Rare Candy glitch)? Glitch City?

No remake is complete without these things, which is why FireRed and LeafGreen suck.

Vorpal word
2009-11-21, 03:42 PM
Yeah; that was the only cloning glitch I ever managed to pull of correctly.

But as far as Glitches, Gen I wins, hands down.

Mew Glitch? Missingno. (and by extension, the Rare Candy glitch)? Glitch City?

No remake is complete without these things, which is why FireRed and LeafGreen suck.

Agreed on the lack of glitches. Also, "Sevii Islands" ???

I mean, if they wanted a second part of the world, why not just use the Orange Islands from the show?

Mando Knight
2009-11-21, 03:50 PM
The glitches resulted from bad code that made the game reference the wrong things. They would have to program those things in on purpose in order to bring them back in a remake.

Forrestfire
2009-11-21, 06:47 PM
Which would be an awesome shout out to those who played the originals.

Too bad...

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-21, 06:55 PM
Which would be an awesome shout out to those who played the originals.

Too bad...

Really a shout-out to anyone who is active at all in any way in the fandom.

It's gotten to the point where if you don't know what Missingno. is, you can't call yourself a Pokemon fan.

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-11-21, 08:20 PM
Well, the game makers themselves don't seem to think that way. They expected us not to know of the existence of Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus until they were officially revealed (which was many months after the fan site people found each mon's info down to the Pokedex entry).

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-21, 08:44 PM
Well, the game makers themselves don't seem to think that way. They expected us not to know of the existence of Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus until they were officially revealed (which was many months after the fan site people found each mon's info down to the Pokedex entry).

Pokedex entry is easy.

They had base stats, move sets, exp gains...

Mando Knight
2009-11-21, 08:45 PM
Pokedex entry is easy.

They had base stats, move sets, exp gains...

They got them all as easily as they did the Pokedex entry: they hacked the data and searched the files for Pokemon that weren't one of the ones that could be obtained normally.

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-11-21, 08:51 PM
They got them all as easily as they did the Pokedex entry: they hacked the data and searched the files for Pokemon that weren't one of the ones that could be obtained normally.

My point exactly. Nothing is sacred.

Crossblade
2009-11-22, 01:06 AM
Not even the game maker's value for your dollar, since you have to buy an entirely different system to get the above mentioned pokemon legitimately.

chiasaur11
2009-11-22, 01:11 AM
Not even the game maker's value for your dollar, since you have to buy an entirely different system to get the above mentioned pokemon legitimately.

I got Arceus, Darkrai, and Shaymin on the up and up with a DS and Pearl, no problem. Sure, it meant waiting for Toys R Us to have an event, but...

Mystic Muse
2009-11-23, 02:37 AM
okay. Can you get Celebi in Pokemon silver or is that a complete lie? It's on IGN not youtube so I'm assuming it's true. here's the supposed method. If you can't tell I REALLY want a Celebi

"To get Celebi, you have to catch Suicune, Entei, and Raikou, and then trade in Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. Then, go to Viridian City in Kanto. Outside of the Battle Station there should be a woman. Talk to her, and she'll give you a GS Ball. Go back to Ilex Forest, and get to the shrine. Put the ball in the shrine, and Celebi (level 5) will come out of it."

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-23, 05:52 AM
You can get Celebi in Gen II.

But you need the GS ball, which you cannot get in any legit way, and never could in America.

Raroy
2009-11-23, 10:15 PM
So, I got to Cynthia in the pokemon leauge, and she owned me. This is getting ridiculous, can you people help me?

Team:
lv52 Rapidash
lv 56 Roserade
lv 55 Gradevoir
lv 61 empoleon
Lv 56 Staraptor
lv 52 Luxary

Staraptor sweeps bug. Roserade sweeps ground. Empoleon sweeps water. Gradevoir sweeps Physic. Luxary and Rapidash are dead weight. Halp?

Mando Knight
2009-11-23, 10:59 PM
Get Ice Beam on Empoleon and Earthquake on Gyarados. Grab your Legendary Dragon if you're really desperate, or else counter her Garchomp with Ice Beam or your own Garchomp.

Raroy
2009-11-23, 11:21 PM
Ice beam on Empoleon, right. I don't have a Gyarados, or a Garchomp. I could just make up a brand new team of Empoleon / Gyarados / Garchomp / Lucario. I already have fifty hours on this game, might as well add another fifty.:smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2009-11-23, 11:32 PM
Ice beam on Empoleon, right. I don't have a Gyarados, or a Garchomp. I could just make up a brand new team of Empoleon / Gyarados / Garchomp / Lucario. I already have fifty hours on this game, might as well add another fifty.:smallbiggrin:

Oops. Misread your "Gardevoir" as "Gyarados." Possibly because Gyarados rocks. And so do Garchomp and Lucario.

Mostly, beating Cynthia entails defeating her Lucario and her Garchomp, and cleaning up the rest. Spiritomb is a tank, but is easily walled by Lucario or Empoleon while they set up to sweep the rest of her team.

Dhavaer
2009-11-24, 03:14 AM
How do you get the good rod in Ruby? I'm sure it was from the fisherman on route 118, and Bulbapedia agrees, but he says says useless post-battle things like everyone else.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-24, 06:00 AM
How do you get the good rod in Ruby? I'm sure it was from the fisherman on route 118, and Bulbapedia agrees, but he says says useless post-battle things like everyone else.

A guy in a house in that one town with the Fighting gym, I think.

In a house is the most important part, though. I think it's the one near the bottom-right of the town.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-24, 06:17 AM
So would I have to get a japanese version of a GEN II game in order to get a legit Celebi?

Dhavaer
2009-11-24, 02:27 PM
A guy in a house in that one town with the Fighting gym, I think.

In a house is the most important part, though. I think it's the one near the bottom-right of the town.

I know the guy you're talking about, but he gives the Old Rod.

chiasaur11
2009-11-24, 02:28 PM
So would I have to get a japanese version of a GEN II game in order to get a legit Celebi?

Well, other than events, yeah.

Or rather, you could have once. Now?

Not so much. You needed a special cell phone service thing to get it, which is now discontinued.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-24, 03:08 PM
I know the guy you're talking about, but he gives the Old Rod.

Oh drat, I thought you said "good Old Rod" which seemed weird to me.

This is why posting should not be done within a half hour of waking up, children. :smalltongue:

tonberrian
2009-11-24, 03:22 PM
There's another fisherman on the other side of the lake. You need Surf in order to get the Good Rod in R/S.

tgva8889
2009-11-25, 12:28 AM
Now that HeartGold/SoulSilver are confirmed and I no longer need to save my Lugia on XD, I decided to finish the damn game already.

That final boss is really, really annoying. Really annoying. Catching 1 Legendary is hard enough...

B-Man
2009-11-25, 09:03 PM
I've just picked up a copy of Pokémon Platinum a couple of days ago and I've run into a few breeding snags regarding Ralts (well, IV breeding mostly, but Ralts is the candidate for breeding). My first problem is that I can never really get any of the offspring's IVs closer to 20. Been trying to breed my male Gardevoir with my female Raltses, maxed out her Special Defence and Speed, but can't get her Special Attack up at all (usually around 4-9 every time a new Ralts is born). I have a few Ralts getting close to 30 Attack, but I'm never getting any Male spawn back. Any tips on how to get me a Male Ralts via breeding with the tasty IVs I've bred?

Also, side note: Is there any way to make Crobat awesome again? Losing Sludge Bomb as a physical attack hurts my favourite winged Pokémon. :smallfrown:

Green Bean
2009-11-25, 09:10 PM
I find the best strategy is to use the radar to chain the Pokemon in question until you have one Pokemon with each IV you're looking for. Catching them is much faster than hatching if you have a dedicated catcher like Breloom or Smeargle. Spend some time getting good IVs, then worry about breeding for a good nature and IVs

Mando Knight
2009-11-25, 09:10 PM
Brave Bird, which is more awesome.

B-Man
2009-11-25, 09:48 PM
I guess I'll post-pone the IV breed-grinding until I get the Poké Radar (still not passed the Elite Four).

And Brave Bird... mmm...

I started off with Chimchar this time around ('cause I've never actually started off with a Fire-type in the past). The little tyke burned Onix to the ground when I was adventuring near Oreburgh at level 10. Good times. :smallbiggrin:

Current team before hitting up the fifth gym (which I need to train up for a fair bit):
Monferno "Flame Fist" - Lv. 29
Crobat "Pazuzu" - Lv. 30
Luxio - Lv. 28
Leafeon - Lv. 30
Gardevoir "Waltz" - Lv. 30
Gyarados - Lv. 30

Nohwl
2009-12-03, 01:50 PM
Also, side note: Is there any way to make Crobat awesome again? Losing Sludge Bomb as a physical attack hurts my favourite winged Pokémon. :smallfrown:

it makes a decent lead. in hg/ss you can use it as a lead with wide lens, give it max hp evs and speed evs, a timid nature, and hypnosis, taunt, u turn, and super fang. in platinum, use brave bird instead.

Green Bean
2009-12-05, 01:16 AM
Okay, I just got hit by Sheer Cold three times in a row. I hate Battle Tower. :smallfurious:

Raroy
2009-12-05, 10:44 AM
Is there a safe way to trade and then trade back? I want my scizor, but I'm sure someone else would be glad to take it for me.

SparkMandriller
2009-12-05, 11:01 AM
I'm sure you could find at least someone that you'd trust here.

Green Bean
2009-12-05, 11:41 AM
There's also the GTS Glitch (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Global_Terminal#Trade_evolution_glitch), which requires wireless access but is otherwise quite handy.

Raroy
2009-12-05, 12:17 PM
So who wants to become my trading partner? I'll scratch you back if you scratch mine.

Pal Code:
1677 0614 0769

tgva8889
2009-12-05, 04:07 PM
Sure, I'd be up for helping. Tell me when you're online.
Friend Code: 3438 0598 0009

CoffeeIncluded
2009-12-08, 04:28 PM
You know what I learned today?

You know Ilex forest in G/S/C/HG/SS?

Ilex is Latin for Oak.

Derjuin
2009-12-08, 06:05 PM
Hai everyone, another pokemon fan here :smallbiggrin: I have a question, if anyone could help.

In the D/P/Pt games, there's a battle mode called "Standard Cup", where it says you use 3 lv 50 pokemon, with no real other limits. Does this mean you can use, say, a level 67 some pokemon, and it will set its level to 50 and change its stats to be what they would be at level 50, or is it pokemon that are physically level 50 only? I'd like to battle my friends, but they end up leveling their pokemon all the way to 100, and my (decent) battlers are at level 50.

Lunix Vandal
2009-12-08, 07:01 PM
I haven't tried it myself, but I imagine it's like Platinum's Battle Tower/Arcade/Castle, where anything below 50 stays the level it is and anything above gets reduced to 50.

Alternately, there's an option in either VS or Wi-Fi play to bump all the contestants up to Level 100 -- incidentally also useful for quickly and accurately determining a freshly-hatched 'mon's IVs.

Crossblade
2009-12-18, 10:48 AM
You know what I learned today?

You know Ilex forest in G/S/C/HG/SS?

Ilex is Latin for Oak.

That's just cool.

Zaccino
2010-12-20, 09:39 PM
I have a few pokemon on my pokemon Heartgold if anyone wants them? I have a shiny lvl 100 Entei, a Shiny lvl 100 Luxray, and all three regis, lvl 100. PM me if you want them, and we can work something out.

The Glyphstone
2010-12-20, 09:56 PM
Great Modthulhu: Thread necromancy. The current Pokemon discussion thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167090).