PDA

View Full Version : Portecting your bag of holdings

Splendor
2009-10-18, 06:49 PM
I want some simple way to keep my bag of holdings from being cut.
In some book there was like a chainmail looking sack you could put a bag in to protect it. It may of been a 3.0 book.

anyone know where it is? or a simple way to keep someone from cutting one open?

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-18, 07:03 PM
Shrink item and put it in a pocket in your chainmail?

Cast hoard gullet instead?

Be a warforged and have your chest hollowed out and turned into a storage space?

Put it into a portable hole.

Grab it with a glove of storing and...store it.

sofawall
2009-10-18, 07:10 PM

Be a warforged and have your chest hollowed out and turned into a storage space?

One of these things is not like the others.

Deth Muncher
2009-10-18, 07:14 PM

XD Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Yeah, Portable Hole + Bag of Holding = Poor Life Choice.

You could...dip it in whatever stuff it is in Sandstorm that gives cloth armor +something AC for a period of time. It also makes it tougher.

Splendor
2009-10-18, 07:14 PM
None of these are "simple"...
Enchanting the Bag with a perm. shrink item would cost 8820gp, so I can't do that (not enough money).
Glove of storing is 10,000 gp, so thats out too.
Can't put it into a portable hole. (rips rift to astral plane)
Warforged can't have their chest hollowed out, it would kill them. Just like a human having his chest hollowed out would. (Their not robots or constructs)

and Hoard gullet works as a bag of holding.

Edit: Looking in sandstorm book.

LibraryOgre
2009-10-18, 07:15 PM
Have a bag of chainmail made for it. It will weigh a bit more, but it will be cut-resistant. You could even put it inside another leather bag... regular attacks would hit the outer bag, first, meaning only a strong piercing attack is likely to get through.

Superglucose
2009-10-18, 07:17 PM
You could wear it around your neck and keep it inside your armor. Then the only way they could cut it is by cutting you first.

LibraryOgre
2009-10-18, 07:26 PM
You could wear it around your neck and keep it inside your armor. Then the only way they could cut it is by cutting you first.

I probably would not allow that... it's a fairly sizable bag, not a Bucknard's Everful Purse.

Kyouhen
2009-10-18, 07:29 PM
XD Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Yeah, Portable Hole + Bag of Holding = Poor Life Choice.

But it would stop someone from cutting it. :smalltongue:

If all you're worried about is it getting cut stick it in a small box and carry it like that. If what you're really worried about is it being stolen then stop worrying, because it can be really difficult to stop a determined thief. :smalltongue:

Splendor
2009-10-18, 07:31 PM
Chain mail bag was kinda the first idea but couldn't find it in any of the books. Just making it up it would be atleast 1/4 the weight of a chain shirt (6lbs) so that my base idea still.

Nothing in sandstorm that I could see.

Leather outer sack would only protect it for about 1 attack (leather DR 2, 5 Hp)

Inside armor... well a "Bag 1" is a 15lb sack thats 1' in diameter. Couldn't really put that under your armor (well maybe some special made armor, but then your DM should drop armors max dex and increase ACP)

Not worried about someone stealing it, worried about it being targeted in combat by a sunder attack.

LibraryOgre
2009-10-18, 07:38 PM
Chain mail bag was kinda the first idea but couldn't find it in any of the books. Just making it up it would be atleast 1/4 the weight of a chain shirt (6lbs) so that my base idea still.

I'd say a bag for a bag of holding would be about like a chain-mail shirt... but I picture a fairly large bag. Might go with a small-sized chainmail shirt, though.

lyko555
2009-10-18, 07:41 PM
whos gonna sunder a back pack?

Splendor
2009-10-18, 07:44 PM
If someone keeps pulling stuff out of one, I would.
Just like I sunder Material Component pouches.

Kyouhen
2009-10-18, 07:46 PM
What do you have in there that you're going to keep dragging things out of it in the middle of combat? Isn't it generally more efficient to keep anything useful in an easily accessible location?

Mr. Mud
2009-10-18, 07:48 PM
Put it in another bag of holding! :smalltongue:

But seriously, shrinking would be your best bet. And if not, buy a (few) leather adventuring sacks and place the bag of holding in them.

lyko555
2009-10-18, 07:52 PM
I may be wrong on this but, arnt bags of holding magic. Therfore you would have to dispel them before sundering them?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-18, 07:56 PM
You can sunder a magic item. It's just harder to, sometimes. Not so with a holding bag.

Splendor
2009-10-18, 08:09 PM
Ok thanks for helping...

I think I'll just have a wooden back pack made. Slightly larger then a bucket. Like a Thin chest with straps and just refill MW potion belt/bandolier/etc.. after combat.

Bucket weighs 2lbs empty so something the looks like maybe a quiver.

Hardness 5, 10 Hp.

ericgrau
2009-10-18, 08:31 PM

Four of these do not work. See rules descriptions. Another goes boom, as pointed out already.

The wooden backpack weighs around 35 50 lbs. for the stats given. Remeber a bag of holding is about the size and weight of a filled potato sack. A big box made of 1 inch thick wood is heavy. If you mean for it to be 1/2 inch wood, then cut the HP and weight in half (5 HP and around 25 lbs.)

EDIT: Revised to match bag of holding's actual dimensions.

avr
2009-10-18, 08:44 PM
Hire a mook to carry stuff for you, that way you don't even need the bag! Or they can carry the bag for you, whatever. Mounts work for this also, obviously.

What sort of budget do you have here?

holywhippet
2009-10-18, 08:53 PM
Get a pet mimc to follow you around and have it keep the bag in it's ... stomach? mouth?

Hide the bag in your codpiece - nobody will ever try to steal it.

Hang it on your belt and have a permanent invisibility spell cast on it.

ericgrau
2009-10-18, 09:03 PM
edit: d20srd just says "This appears to be a common cloth sack about 2 feet by 4 feet in size," basically a cloth garbage bag. Yup, just crunch it up inside a helmet (I doubt you'd even need a large helmet) and throw it in your backpack.
... that weighs 15-60 lbs and "Its inside is larger than its outside dimensions". Traditionally, IIRC, that means it seems like a regular bag full of stuff, yet its insides are much larger than the outward appearance. Otherwise that's an awfully heavy bundle of cloth you've clumped together. Think Mary Poppins bag flavor. Or perhaps Santa's bag. 2e has all kinds of tales of things to do with exploiting this big sack's size, involving more than just carrying your gear. It's a major source of adventure solving. 3.5e players generally see it as a way to carry yo' stuff and they tend to ignore its size. I suppose it's open to interpretation.

Portable holes, OTOH, have something in their description about being easily folded up and tucked away. But retrieving an item from one is a bit more difficult.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-18, 09:20 PM

Technically, putting it in a portable hole *will* prevent others from tampering with it.

I tend to nest my bags within a highly booby-trapped heward's handy haversack. This costs a mere 3k gold, does not interfere with my ability to access the contents, and happens to weight even less than a single small bag of holding on it's own. Haversack's are not terribly large, btw. You could then armor the haversack, and still be light on weight. Then, have your local mage cast hardness on the armor.

It's probably a bit paranoid, but it's cheap enough, and easy enough that there's no real reason not to.

Suggested traps: Magic Mouth inside flap. Triggers when someone other than you opens it.

Same location: Sepia Snake Sigil. You don't need to look at it to pull out the item you want, so why bother? Others are unlikely to know this in advance.

Xenogears
2009-10-18, 11:47 PM
Warforged can't have their chest hollowed out, it would kill them. Just like a human having his chest hollowed out would. (Their not robots or constructs

Warforged do have the warforged components. They are special magical items that are either embedded or attached to the Warforged. So you could have an embedded Bag of Holding on the warforged. Embedded warforged components cannot be targeted and are not damaged if you roll a 1 on your saving throw like carried items can be. Plus you can hide small constructs in it and be soundwave.

OracleofWuffing
2009-10-19, 12:26 AM
Hide the bag in your codpiece - nobody will ever try to steal it.
Eh... Depends on how "into" things your DM is with succubi.

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-19, 12:29 AM
Put it in another bag of holding?

Myrmex
2009-10-19, 12:36 AM
... that weighs 15-60 lbs and "Its inside is larger than its outside dimensions". Traditionally, IIRC, that means it seems like a regular bag full of stuff, yet its insides are much larger than the outward appearance. Otherwise that's an awfully heavy bundle of cloth you've clumped together. Think Mary Poppins bag flavor. Or perhaps Santa's bag. 2e has all kinds of tales of things to do with exploiting this big sack's size, involving more than just carrying your gear. It's a major source of adventure solving. 3.5e players generally see it as a way to carry yo' stuff and they tend to ignore its size. I suppose it's open to interpretation.

Portable holes, OTOH, have something in their description about being easily folded up and tucked away. But retrieving an item from one is a bit more difficult.

A five pound object isn't *that* heavy, especially when it's not bulky & made of cloth, so the weight redistributes easily.

Why couldn't you just keep the bag inside a backpack? If the enemy doesn't have LoS & LoE to it, they will have a difficult time hitting it.

Zaydos
2009-10-19, 12:37 AM
I always thought you couldn't put a bag of holding in another... but the DMG doesn't seem to say so...

This means get 40 bags of holding type II and put them all in a bag of holding type III... you can now carry several tons of stuff and it will only weigh 35 lbs.

Seriously though stick it in your armor, or backpack or something. If you're drawing things out of it in combat you ought to use a handy haversack anyway, or just keep your combat gear in a backpack. Then you shouldn't have to worry about your bag of holding getting sundered. Stolen maybe, but then you just keep it with you, it's a big bag not something easily pick pocketed.

ericgrau
2009-10-19, 10:33 AM
A five pound object isn't *that* heavy, especially when it's not bulky & made of cloth, so the weight redistributes easily.

Why couldn't you just keep the bag inside a backpack? If the enemy doesn't have LoS & LoE to it, they will have a difficult time hitting it.

It's 15-60 pounds. See above. Again, it is a matter of interpretation and tradition. The backpack idea is feasible. They can pierce the backpack still and hit the bag of holding at the same time, but they are far less likely to care about what seems to be a mundane backpack. Or if you have fold-up bags of holding in your world then you can stash them in any old pocket to prevent notice. I still think the traditional filled sack that's bigger on the inside than the outside is a lot cooler, whereas the small stash-able bag seems more like a dull video game item merely there to give you more item slots.

Even though there's no specific rule mentioned for putting a bag of holding inside another, the rope trick spell mentions that putting inter-dimensional spaces inside of each other is dangerous.

Slayn82
2009-10-19, 10:50 AM
Keep it with a familiar who can take it to a safe place if needed,or receive a resilient sphere spell. Personally, i prefer to use also the shrink item spell.

ericgrau
2009-10-19, 11:08 AM
Shrink item only works on non-magical items. Gloves of storing doesn't work on items above the weight limit, which includes all bags of holding except type I.