PDA

View Full Version : If Warlocks were not forced to jump though hoops for PRCs would anything break?

deuxhero
2009-10-18, 07:58 PM
Topic. If Warlocks could enter a standard caster prc, would there be anything silly opened up?

Glimbur
2009-10-18, 08:08 PM
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil + Warlock =... not any worse than regular wizard in that class, as far as I can see. It'd give the Warlock shiny new powers.

Divine Oracle is nice for anyone, but again it wouldn't break anything for Warlocks to get super-evasion.

I'm more curious about the half casting classes like Blood Magus or Greenstar Adept. Would a Warlock lose less by taking 1/2 progression in exchange for cool abilities?

Effigy Master would be cool but it shouldn't be bad to let Warlocks in particular take it.

I've found it: Eldritch Theurge would be completely broken by this change :smallbiggrin:

Unless I'm missing something, some class that gives special abilities that would be great for a warlock but aren't also great for a wizard/sorc, I don't foresee any issues.

Flickerdart
2009-10-18, 08:10 PM
How would this interact with Mage of the Arcane Order or Rainbow Servant? Anything that gives more spells, basically.

deuxhero
2009-10-18, 08:12 PM
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil + Warlock =... not any worse than regular wizard in that class, as far as I can see. It'd give the Warlock shiny new powers.

Isn't Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil one of the few a Warlock can legitimately access?

How would this interact with Mage of the Arcane Order or Rainbow Servant? Anything that gives more spells, basically.

LTIC both abilities need spell slots to fuel them, so no effect (same as the rune staff ruling).

Glimbur
2009-10-18, 08:20 PM
Isn't Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil one of the few a Warlock can legitimately access?

The skills are doable, the Feats suck even harder than they do for a wiz/sorc but are doable. So the question is if the Warlock can get five invocations that act like Abjurations, at least two of fourth level or higher. I'm far too lazy to comb through all the sourcebooks warlocks get invocations from, so I'm willing to believe that's the case. So technically yes but I wouldn't want to spend my invocations that way.

Fatespinner would be nice for a Warlock, but not because of synergy but due simply to the abilities being useful.

deuxhero
2009-10-18, 08:22 PM
This (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2915.0) guide lists the ones that can qualify Warlocks (it takes taking a few evocations that have serious overlap).

Hmm, would Eldritch Knight or similar gishes make effective glaivelocks?

Glimbur
2009-10-18, 08:37 PM
Looks like some of the classes I thought up Warlocks can already enter, though the wisdom of doing so is questionable.

Full BAB/Full Casting is nice, and is also nice for Warlocks. But how many Abjurations do Warlocks get to boost AC? So you pick up some BAB and waste the rest of the class features. Warlocks have UMD and often a Cha focus anyway, so Divine Power is not entirely unreasonable.

tl;dr Gish PrC's are nice but not game-breaking for Warlocks to take.