PDA

View Full Version : Centaur background.

Trodon
2009-10-18, 11:18 PM
Well I need some ideas for a Centaur background, fighter going into War Hulk (Miniatures Handbook page 22) It's a seafaring game D&D 3.5.

herrhauptmann
2009-10-19, 12:13 AM
Can centaurs even swim?

Dixieboy
2009-10-19, 12:15 AM
There's nothing mechanically preventing them.

TroubleBrewing
2009-10-19, 12:18 AM
Oh my god I know what you're doing.

You're making a thrower. A Fighter/Hulking Hurler/War Hulk. You are a very, very sick person.

But I give you a bunch of awesome points for actually doing this.

BooNL
2009-10-19, 05:21 AM

You're making a thrower. A Fighter/Hulking Hurler/War Hulk. You are a very, very sick person.

There's nothing sick about throwers.

The only thing worrying me is manhorses in a nautical campaign...

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-19, 05:23 AM
Horses can swim IRL. Having man parts probably only makes them better at it.

JellyPooga
2009-10-19, 05:29 AM
Horses can swim IRL. Having man parts probably only makes them better at it.

It probably doesn't actually...the center of balance for a centaur is much further forward than for a horse and the fact that it's much lower than the arms of the 'man', means that they can't easily come into play. A centaur trying to swim would look ridiculous...it would kind of look like a set-square trying to swim.

Zephyros
2009-10-19, 06:23 AM
Back stroke with 4 flutter kicks!:smallbiggrin:

Dixieboy
2009-10-19, 06:33 AM
It probably doesn't actually...the center of balance for a centaur is much further forward than for a horse and the fact that it's much lower than the arms of the 'man', means that they can't easily come into play. A centaur trying to swim would look ridiculous...it would kind of look like a set-square trying to swim.

i think we can safely assume that a man torso does not weigh sufficiently much more than a horses head/neck that horse swimming becomes unlikely.

Trodon
2009-10-19, 08:07 AM

I wasn't going to have the Hulking Hurler class... but now that you mention it I might.

Subotei
2009-10-19, 08:33 AM
Can centaurs even swim?

Sure, though climbing rigging may be out...

Reaper_Monkey
2009-10-19, 09:06 AM

Even so, they have a much taller build which means they can be deeper in the water before being submerged and having to hold their breath. Their additional arms would also aid in keeping their front half aloft when fully underwater anyway while their hooves drive them forward.

Although as mentioned, climbing will be a hell of a lot more problematic, even with the additional limbs you've not the flexibility to use them all at once which means anything close to sheer will be simply unclimbable and you'll have to be lifted with lots of ropes.

Glimbur
2009-10-19, 11:33 AM
Why are you an adventurer? Were you chased out of your herd because you threw a big rock and accidentally crushed someone? Are you on a Spirit Quest of Religious Significance? Did you just get wanderlust? Are you in it for the money? Are you The Chosen One? (This can be a lot of fun despite being the plot to many JRPG's... just because you think you are The Chosen One doesn't mean the world agrees with you)

OracleofWuffing
2009-10-19, 12:06 PM
... Well, there you go. All your Centaur buddies laughed at you and wouldn't let you play Centaur-games because of your dreams to become a great swimmer, and now you're out to prove them all wrong by using your swimming talents to perform heroic deeds.

Jayabalard
2009-10-19, 12:06 PM
Can centaurs even swim?horses (generally) can swim, so I don't see why not.

Fhaolan
2009-10-19, 12:28 PM
Although as mentioned, climbing will be a hell of a lot more problematic, even with the additional limbs you've not the flexibility to use them all at once which means anything close to sheer will be simply unclimbable and you'll have to be lifted with lots of ropes.

Actually, it's not the flexibiliy of the limbs that would be the major problem, but the fact that the limbs are terminated in horse's hooves. If they had goat-like feet that would be different. Goat's feet not only have cloven hooves that move independately like toes, but they also have dewclaws that can aid in climbing. Some breeds of goats can climb trees http://webecoist.com/2008/08/19/the-incredible-tree-climbing-goats-of-morocco/ for pete's sake.

I've been training horses for years, and I can categorically state that horses are not well suited for climbing anything with more slope than a small hill. :smallsmile:

For a marine-campaign you might be better off with Hybsils or Bauriars than Centaurs, simply because it will be less effort to explain away climbing.

Moriato
2009-10-19, 01:57 PM
http://bestgamewallpapers.com/files/gods-and-heroes/centaur.jpg

Amidoinitrite?

Haven
2009-10-19, 02:00 PM
... Well, there you go. All your Centaur buddies laughed at you and wouldn't let you play Centaur-games because of your dreams to become a great swimmer, and now you're out to prove them all wrong by using your swimming talents to perform heroic deeds.

Reading this left me horse with laughter.

whoops typo