PDA

View Full Version : Increasing CL for Item Creation

Stegyre
2009-10-19, 12:02 AM
I'm wondering if I'm correctly interpreting when a CL+ is effective to qualify for crafting a magic item and when it is not. Here's my own rule of thumb, and I'm looking for confirmation or correction as to whether it's RAW (accepting the caveat that "item creation" and "RAW" are always problematic companions):

1. If a CL boost has no limitation to it, it applies to item creation (among other things. Good examples:
Harmonic Chorus (SCo)
Create Magic Tattoo (SCo)
Orange Ioun Stone (SRD)
RIng of Arcane Might (DMG)
Adept Spirit (MoI)

2. On the other hand, if the CL boost is specific to spell casting, such as "cast . . . spells at +4 caster level," (DMG Bead of Karma) or if it is otherwise limited, such as "+1 bonus on caster level checks," (DMG2 Ritual of Magic), the CL boost applies only for the specified purpose. Good examples:
Bead of Karma (DMG)
Arcane Thesis (because it is limited to a single spell)
Spell GIfted (because limited to a single school)
Mystic Surge (DMG2, I think)
Spell Enhancer (DMG2)
Spell Power

My first question is whether this distinction is supportable, or what may be wrong with it?

Second, I had originally classed {Scrubbed. Please don't link to places of questionable copyright compliance.} Inspire Spellpower[/url] in the second group. I'm wondering if it more properly belongs in the first? While the initial text talks specifically about "inspir[ing] the spellcasting of allied spellcasters, making their spells more powerful," the actual crunch is an unlimited +1 CL for the duration.

What do wiser minds than mine think? :smallconfused: