PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cabinet Trickster Combat Options?

Kosjsjach
2009-10-19, 01:35 AM
Hello all, I have another character design stumbling block that I'd like your help with.

I've had in my head the idea for a Changeling rogue 5 (with the racial substitution levels)/ Cloistered Cleric 1 (trading domains for Trickery Devotion and Travel Devotion)/ cabinet Trickster X.

:smallsmile: My idea was that he'd be able to use Minor Change Shape to look like someone specific, use Trickery Devotion to create a double, then use Minor Shape Change again to look like someone else and he'd be able to enact public scenarios with two possibly-specific people and generally cause mayhem. This would be aided by the Assume Quirk skill trick, so even people familiar with whoever he's impersonating don't get an advantage to see through it.

Ahem. My problem is, while he's a terrific-seeming character for roleplay purposes (this includes his detect thoughts ability at ECL 7), he doesn't really have a shtick for combat. It's a remarkably feat-lite build as it stands: all that's really required is Persona Immersion to qualify for the prestige class. That leaves 2-out-of-3 feats for a level-6 build, and I'd like to use them to make him able to contribute something when things go down. I could always just give him Weapon Finesse and Two-Weapon Fighting (he does have +3d6 sneak attack), but I'd like to do something different with this character - maybe pick up an exotic weapon proficiency.

tl;dr: What are some 2 feats or tricks that would give an edge to the combat capability of a high-dexterity-and-charisma average-strength changeling sneak attacker with Travel Devotion?

Or just tell me I'm wasting my time and I should just go for WF and TWF. :smallredface:

hewhosaysfish
2009-10-19, 07:46 AM
What on Earth is Cabinet Trickster? A Rogue PrC that attacks with cupboards? Or by jumping out of cupboards? That sneak attacks councils of government ministers?

kamikasei
2009-10-19, 07:50 AM
It's a Changeling PrC that basically gives them Doppleganger racial abilities. The Cabinet of Faces is a Changeling/Doppleganger conspiracy (and uses "cabinet" in the governmental sense).

Mongoose87
2009-10-19, 07:52 AM
It's a Changeling PrC that basically gives them Doppleganger racial abilities. The Cabinet of Faces is a Changeling/Doppleganger conspiracy (and uses "cabinet" in the governmental sense).

If you could build one that wielded cabinets, though...

kamikasei
2009-10-19, 07:57 AM
Drunken Master? It's not like drunk and rowdy is an unknown character type among politicians.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-10-19, 08:00 AM
Your combat shtick is to change your form into something with bite/claw/claw and flank with the tank so you get that rotation +the 3d6 sneak attack. I'd say that's good....
Your going warshapper after cabinet trickster right?

Prime32
2009-10-19, 08:12 AM
You also qualify for mindspy, which lets you read the minds of everyone around you at once and add your Cha to AC.

I once tried a battledancer/cabinet trickster/warshaper/mindspy build, but the game didn't get very far.

ErrantX
2009-10-19, 09:18 AM
You also qualify for mindspy, which lets you read the minds of everyone around you at once and add your Cha to AC.

I once tried a battledancer/cabinet trickster/warshaper/mindspy build, but the game didn't get very far.

2nded mostly. I'd say go Rogue 5/Cabinet Trickster 5/Warshaper 5/Mindspy 5. That's me though.

-X

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-19, 09:39 AM
2nded mostly. I'd say go Rogue 5/Cabinet Trickster 5/Warshaper 5/Mindspy 5. That's me though.

-X

You need Cabinet Trickster 7 for Detect Thoughts, so you can't enter Mindspy that way.

ErrantX
2009-10-19, 09:41 AM
*double checks*

I must have been thinking it was a 5 level class like all of the shifter classes for some reason. I am corrected, thank you Sinfire.

-X

Kosjsjach
2009-10-19, 02:04 PM
Most of this is good advice (I was considering Warshaper after completing Cabinet Trickster), but I was hoping for advice for something to do in combat for the earlier levels, when he can just zip around the battlefield and dish mediocre sneak attack damage. Perhaps a ranged attack trick, or an exotic weapon that'd let him trip foes without needing a high Strength score... I dunno. Something useful, with bonus points for originality.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-19, 02:07 PM
Don't you have UMD? Buy some Eternal Wands and other items, then use those instead of doing battle yourself. Find buff spells and such, not Save spells.